HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

dregger and watters and others in the TO media...

Old
11-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
Ok. And RDS has a better personnel

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Ok. And RDS has a better personnel
correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall RDS having two uneducated jerks throw unfounded comments and rumours about the toronto maple leafs locker room talk. As for covering the habs...yes RDS has better personnel... guy carbonneau ?

for every ''OMG french media '' I bet I can point to an even worst dick face elsewhere in canada ... Spector, todd, dregger ect. French media will never even come close to the level of disgrace some of the above graced us with in the past few months...

read spector's paper on the founding of the coliseum in quebec, it should put in perspective those ''OMG french medias...... '' whining we get to hear everyday.

toronto media are just as crazy as ours following their team, but they also allow themselves to expand rumours on other teams ... armed with their hockey ''insiders'' telling you who said what in other team's locker room. The only thing dregger has an inside about is how to shove a suppository up his ass.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

The thing is, TO has one Bill Watters, RDS has full of them. Just watch L'Anti-Chambre.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Bohemian93

There is, and always will be a misconceived bias about Montreal within the Toronto media. Although the apparent Toronto homer-ism on TSN has gone down quite some notches, You'll always here this kind of blabbering from the more ignorant. Anything Negative from Montreal is blown way out of proportion as they treat us like horrible people. Who cares if "non" fans boo price, this kinda stuff happens all the time. Heck even the leaf fans booed Phaneuf this season, nobody thought anything of it and the "great" people of Toronto. When something happens in Montreal the media pounces on it like wild dogs based on their knowledge from even other biased reports. There is Nothing but Misunderstandings of the fine Citizens and media of Montreal.

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The thing is, TO has one Bill Watters, RDS has full of them. Just watch L'Anti-Chambre.
The difference is the TO people are bitter, delusional, jealous morons who will try to knock down Montreal at any given chance.

The AC mediots are only bad for one reason - their analysis of the Habs!
ie. they are almost anti-homers. I personally love that RDS has Bouchard, Denis, Carbo (and Demers before). The others are just entertainment (and sometimes I do watch them cuz Bergy can be funny sometimes), but they don't have the opposing agenda as the TO media. I do wish that the Montreal media (that includes Anglo Jack Todd) would stop second guessing the team all the time. It's detrimental to maintaining a sane fanbase, the same way all the TO bashing of the Habs gets Leaf fans similarly jealous, obnoxious and ignorant.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Habs

I have never liked Dregger anyways, he should have stayed with the other side.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

RDS crap on the Habs and others basically. They hate everybody equaly.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
I find they have been more positive lately. They even try to say that the refs are doing OK, and that is hard to do, shortage of Quebecois refs in the NHL.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Gary320

Quote:
RDS gives everyone lots of love if they have a great game, but ***** on them if they lose.

Just like this forum.

Honestly, at times RDS (minus the Quebecois players love) is basically this forum.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
I find they have been more positive lately. They even try to say that the refs are doing OK, and that is hard to do, shortage of Quebecois refs in the NHL.
13-6-1 has them more positive...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:09 PM
bjac

Check out the beginning of the Watters-Hickey interview on the AM 640 webpage. Essentially Hickey talks about how good Price has been and when Watters asks if he thinks it will be his last contract In Montreal, Hickey replies "I think you've jumped to conclusions, I think hes very happy where he is these days". It was good to see him stop Watters in his tracks. Hickey knew where Watters was going to take the conversation and didn't let him go down that road.

Its good to see Hickey set things straight and not add to the bogus speculation.

Last edited by bjac: 11-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Check out the beginning of the Watters-Hickey interview on the AM 640 webpage. Essentially Hickey talks about how good Price has been and when Watters asks if he thinks it will be his last contract In Montreal, Hickey replies "I think you've jumped to conclusions, I think hes very happy where he is these days". It was good to see him stop Watters in his tracks. Hickey knew where Watters was going to take the conversation and didn't let him go down that road.

Its good to see Hickey set things straight and not add to the bogus speculation.
Hickey is a straight shooter who actually follows the team and does it with integrity. I'd be hard pressed to name a beat writer or media personality who understands the workings around a team like he does. For every time he straightens out a Bill Watters I'd guess he probably has 2 damaging inside stories that he chooses to keep to himself. He's the Habs local Bob Mckenzie, fact based without wide speculation or sensationalism. Gotta give credit where it's due.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Hickey is a straight shooter who actually follows the team and does it with integrity. I'd be hard pressed to name a beat writer or media personality who understands the workings around a team like he does. For every time he straightens out a Bill Watters I'd guess he probably has 2 damaging inside stories that he chooses to keep to himself. He's the Habs local Bob Mckenzie, fact based without wide speculation or sensationalism. Gotta give credit where it's due.
The whole segment was very good. I'll be honest, I haven't consistantly followed Hickey too much in the past, but I was impressed with him on this one.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:07 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Wasn't this thread locked because no one else was able to confirm any of this was actually said? Why has it been re-opened?

11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Wasn't this thread locked because no one else was able to confirm any of this was actually said? Why has it been re-opened?
well, because it has been confirmed?

that'd make sense.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:29 AM
amu003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel09 View Post
I was listening and don't recall exactly what was said, but no one ever made mention of a feud between Subban/Cammy. It was all tied into how cocky subban is, and Dregs said something like he "doesn't even flinch when a guy like Cammy calls him primetime, not even a smile" by that he meant, it was second nature to Subban when guys give him all the attention with nicknames like that. relax..there was never any mention of a feud or them not liking each other.
Waters tried to imply that Cammy calls Subban "primetime" out of derision, which is farther from the truth. For a team that supposedely is not very close and has a goalie that hates the fans, they look like a happy winning bunch! More sad jealousy on behalf of the TO media; they should stick to roasting Wilson and Burke, the days of Ferguson are starting to look bright in retrospect!

amu003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Evil Ted

I would listen and belive anyone on TSN and probably even sportsnet before I would trust most of the garbage that is reported out of Montreal.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Bullsmith

Bill Watters was assistant GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. His radio career has shown that he just decides to believe rumors he likes and discard those he doesn't. The more you know, the easier it is to understand how the franchise has compile 43 consecutive years of losing. It's not just that they haven't won the cup, they haven't lost one either, haven't had a league scoring leader or a Vezina winner or a Selke winner or a Norris winner either.

Frankly I pity the fans who have to put up with the suffering of the franchise and get homers like Bill Watters to try and salve the pain. Insult to injury.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall RDS having two uneducated jerks throw unfounded comments and rumours about the toronto maple leafs locker room talk. As for covering the habs...yes RDS has better personnel... guy carbonneau ?

for every ''OMG french media '' I bet I can point to an even worst dick face elsewhere in canada ... Spector, todd, dregger ect. French media will never even come close to the level of disgrace some of the above graced us with in the past few months...

read spector's paper on the founding of the coliseum in quebec, it should put in perspective those ''OMG french medias...... '' whining we get to hear everyday.

toronto media are just as crazy as ours following their team, but they also allow themselves to expand rumours on other teams ... armed with their hockey ''insiders'' telling you who said what in other team's locker room. The only thing dregger has an inside about is how to shove a suppository up his ass.
You're right. They don't make crap up about Toronto. They make crap up about Montreal.
Darkest Day in History already left your mind??

Toronto media is bad because they can't give partial criticism of the Habs, Sens or Bruins. No matter what, they will criticize those teams.
Montreal media is bad because it's suicidal. They destroy their own team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You're right. They don't make crap up about Toronto. They make crap up about Montreal.
Darkest Day in History already left your mind??

Toronto media is bad because they can't give partial criticism of the Habs, Sens or Bruins. No matter what, they will criticize those teams.
Montreal media is bad because it's suicidal. They destroy their own team.
Toronto media is pretty brutal on the Leafs too, almost as bad as Montreal.

The only difference is that when not talking about the home team, the Leafs trash other teams. The Habs media just focus on French Canadian players and pretty much ignore the other teams unless they're in the building.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Newhabfan

I've also found that the RDS crew has slightly improved. First there is the Hockey 360 thing which is informative and interesting.

Then, they got a lot more presence from Guy Carbonneau, Mario Trembaly, Joel Bouchard and even Marc Denis. These guys know their hockey and are respected. The old 110% crew has a lot less space.

I'm particularly appreciating Mario Tremblay whom I did not know before and I was expecting the worst based on comments. However, he is a great presence both on Radio and on TV.

Oh - and Toronto media after this particular weekend "has" to bash the Habs if they want to keep their public even a little bit interested.

Side note - I also think that Price did not want more then a 1 year contract, thinking of leaving after. Understandable. However, if things go well he should change his mind.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Side note - I also think that Price did not want more then a 1 year contract, thinking of leaving after. Understandable. However, if things go well he should change his mind.
He signed a two year deal and one or two, he's still an RFA at the end.

If he'd wanted out, he'd have A) told them so when the team had to pick a goalie, or B) signed a deal that takes him to UFA.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Price wanted the 2 year deal.
Next year, he'll be eligible for arbitration. With the ups and downs of last season, there was no telling just how well/poorly we would end up performing this year. Yes, our team showed great things during the post-season, but there was many question marks.
Carey agreeing to a 2year deal pretty much gave him a safety net in case this year would be a difficult one for the team. That way, if he struggled this year, he'd still have another season to improve before signing a contract, and changes to the team would be possible as 30M of cap space will free up next summer.
Signing a 1year deal would have put even more pressure on him to step up, and I think he was smart enough to realize he didn't need any extra pressure.

If Price was thinking about leaving, he would have told Mtl to trade him instead of Halak. So I really think you're out to lunch on that one.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Price wanted the 2 year deal.
Next year, he'll be eligible for arbitration. With the ups and downs of last season, there was no telling just how well/poorly we would end up performing this year. Yes, our team showed great things during the post-season, but there was many question marks.
Carey agreeing to a 2year deal pretty much gave him a safety net in case this year would be a difficult one for the team. That way, if he struggled this year, he'd still have another season to improve before signing a contract, and changes to the team would be possible as 30M of cap space will free up next summer.
Signing a 1year deal would have put even more pressure on him to step up, and I think he was smart enough to realize he didn't need any extra pressure.

If Price was thinking about leaving, he would have told Mtl to trade him instead of Halak. So I really think you're out to lunch on that one.
I might be. I'm basically speculating on how I think I would have felt in his shoes.

Last year was not a good year for him and I would understand if he wanted out as soon as possible. Now, asking for a trade...Do you honestly think that Gauthier would have traded Price instead of Halak, just because he asked to ?

Price was in a very uncomfortable position last summer. More then half the fanbase were angry at him for something he had no responsibility in - the Halak trade. The preseason showed that he is not allowed any errors.

Let's not fool ourselves - he will know poor games, and when it will happen the media hounds and boos will be back on him. I keep reading and hearing how he gave up a bad goal in the Nashville game, and he's back to last year habits....yea - no kidding.

If Carey Price was my son, I would advise him not to stay in Montreal unless he really wants to. There is a slight chance of huge glory and success but there could also be a lot of pain. It's a gamble for him.

Anyway - the negotiation for his salary went a lot slower than normal if you recall. My guess is the org. wanted a longer (4-5 year) deal, while he wanted the shortest possible. They ended up with a 2 year - which is the minimum anyway before UFA/RFA or whatever.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Anyway - the negotiation for his salary went a lot slower than normal if you recall. My guess is the org. wanted a longer (4-5 year) deal, while he wanted the shortest possible. They ended up with a 2 year - which is the minimum anyway before UFA/RFA or whatever.
Sure, but I think you're reading too much into it.

Of course Montreal wanted a long term deal. They clearly felt he'd become a star (thus why they kept him), but he was coming off a bad season. Last summer was the cheapest Price will likely ever be.

Price knew he had a bad year, thus had the least negotiating power of his career. Not even arbitration rights. So, of course, he wanted a short term deal so he could get his value back up.

Just for fun, say he plays like he has so far for the next two years. That'll be an elite level contract he'll demand (6-8 million).

Better than being locked in for 4-5 years at 4 million, eh?