HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Kicking some butt? See his fight last night? It reminded me of when the Chappelle Show had "Friday Night Sissy Fights".
How was that a sissy fight? Both guys got some shots in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Kicking some butt? See his fight last night? It reminded me of when the Chappelle Show had "Friday Night Sissy Fights".
lol all this made me think of is :

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/mi...nJMjG2Ug6tKazA

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
ikelechien

Seems O'Byrne is doing really poorly in Colorado - his defense partner was only named 2nd star of the week in the NHL!!!

ikelechien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
Seems O'Byrne is doing really poorly in Colorado - his defense partner was only named 2nd star of the week in the NHL!!!
This is kinda confusing.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
This is kinda confusing.
U are right, of course, it was meant to make U think about it.

However, it is not as confusing to me as why Martin played MAB in last years playoffs against Philly when he was so bad (especially on the PP) that if he was throwing the game he would have to play better - especially when O'Byrne was available and we were getting pushed around!!!

Old
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
U are right, of course, it was meant to make U think about it.
Perhaps O'Byrne has looked good because of his partner?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Maybe, but more likely they both compliment one another. After all, Liles was not 2nd star of the week this year, to my knowledge, before OB partnered up with him. The game I watched, Liles was awesome and OB took care of the back end.

Old
11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Maybe, but more likely they both compliment one another. After all, Liles was not 2nd star of the week this year, to my knowledge, before OB partnered up with him. The game I watched, Liles was awesome and OB took care of the back end.
Liles has been hot all season, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I doubt that. JML is a good player no doubt but O'byrne compliments him well, dif styles rounding out I guess. O'byrne is probably jacked and motivated to make a good impression. He's getting 20+ min a night and i'm sure he feels good right now. He's no stud, but he's a good d-man and he's getting his shot and proving he can play in the NHL full time.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:
It's called the Komi Syndrome

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
dcyhabs

The Avs board seems split between putting O'Byrne on the top pairing and benching him as a non-physical non-skilled guy. I guess the gap is not that big as his job on a top pairing would be like Komisarek with Markov, just hit and play some defense.

His stats look really good, he's playing loads of minutes, and he'd look good in Montreal right now. There are good players on the habs' D, but no one who scares opposing forwards. O'Byrne can make the occasional big hit.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
The Avs board seems split between putting O'Byrne on the top pairing and benching him as a non-physical non-skilled guy. I guess the gap is not that big as his job on a top pairing would be like Komisarek with Markov, just hit and play some defense.

His stats look really good, he's playing loads of minutes, and he'd look good in Montreal right now. There are good players on the habs' D, but no one who scares opposing forwards. O'Byrne can make the occasional big hit.
Seriously? We're 2nd overall in GA/game, 1st in penalty killing - exactly how much would adding O'Byrne help?

Some of you guys need to give it a rest. He's a capable player, he didn't fit in here, we had no use for him, and we got a pretty decent asset in return. That's all.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Seriously? We're 2nd overall in GA/game, 1st in penalty killing - exactly how much would adding O'Byrne help?

Some of you guys need to give it a rest. He's a capable player, he didn't fit in here, we had no use for him, and we got a pretty decent asset in return. That's all.
I agree that we got a pretty solid return, and that he wasn't fitting in here...

but the question is Why?
The guy is playing first pairing minutes on a team that is red hot (5-1 since he got there)... and yet he couldn't even see the ice with us?

Is it really just a question of the trade waking him up, and his play improving dramatically as a result?

i suppose that's a plausible answer, though imo it also points to a bit of an issue with how the habs were managing him (and let's face it, in recent years our track record of managing young players has been less than stellar).

I'm fine with the trade, but I'm not as fine with what seems to be an organizational problem with transitioning players from prospect status to NHL ready.

O'byrne seems to be now playing the way a lot of us thought he could/would play if given a decent shot. Early in the season, with Markov out and both Spacek/Hamrlik struggling, would it really have hurt us to give him a real shot, with some consistent ice time?

even if Martin is determined to stick with his vets come hell or high water, giving O'byrne some time and some confidence would likely have allowed him to play well (or at least better than the small sample we did see from him), and raised his value.

Bournival is a decent pick up, but if that's what we got with O'byrne stuck in the press box, imagine what we could have got if he had had 5-6 games like the 5-6 he's played in Colorado...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I agree that we got a pretty solid return, and that he wasn't fitting in here...

but the question is Why?
The guy is playing first pairing minutes on a team that is red hot (5-1 since he got there)... and yet he couldn't even see the ice with us?

Is it really just a question of the trade waking him up, and his play improving dramatically as a result?

i suppose that's a plausible answer, though imo it also points to a bit of an issue with how the habs were managing him (and let's face it, in recent years our track record of managing young players has been less than stellar).

I'm fine with the trade, but I'm not as fine with what seems to be an organizational problem with transitioning players from prospect status to NHL ready.

O'byrne seems to be now playing the way a lot of us thought he could/would play if given a decent shot. Early in the season, with Markov out and both Spacek/Hamrlik struggling, would it really have hurt us to give him a real shot, with some consistent ice time?

even if Martin is determined to stick with his vets come hell or high water, giving O'byrne some time and some confidence would likely have allowed him to play well (or at least better than the small sample we did see from him), and raised his value.

Bournival is a decent pick up, but if that's what we got with O'byrne stuck in the press box, imagine what we could have got if he had had 5-6 games like the 5-6 he's played in Colorado...
OB was given plenty of chances but he could never put together 2 or 3 good games in a row. He has the smarts of Sheldon Souray combined with the offence of Hal Gill.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

Avalanche fan here.

As you know since O'Byrne arrived we are 5-1 .

One of the major reasons for this streak is his pairing with Liles. After Liles got him for partner he again exploded in offence !

He's terrible with puck (we have several D-men who are maybe even worse in handling puck), but that's it. Our PK obviously improved as he's good in blocking shots, and he even plays in PP .

As I typed, Liles is now comfortable as he has big guy behind him so he can more concentrate in offence. As long Liles handle puck, O'Byrne is fine.

Conclusion:
1. Our PK obviously improved.
2. Liles is even better offensive juggernaut than from the start of season.
3. We are 5-1 since he came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post

Our board is not split, vast majority of us think he's good for role he plays . Stats don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I expect O'Byrne to beast in Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Dumb move. O'Byrne will become a beast in the next 2 years with the Avs. They know how to develop kids unlike the Habs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
WHy everyone is sayong that O'Byrne could be a good dman in 2/3 years? Should i remember everyone that O'Byrne is 26? Which should be the age a prospect is fully developped. O'Byrne just remember me Dan Jancevski, who was a good dman overall in AHL, but never achieve to be a full time NHLer. O'Byrne won't have more chance to crack the Avs lineup, their defense squad is full.

TOP 6 :
Liles
Hannan
Foote
Cumiskey
Wilson
Quincey

7th :
Holos
O'Byrne
Our captain (Foote) will probably retire after this season.
Cumiskey is pure garbage. Nobody knows why Sacco force him. Good thing he won't back soon .
Wilson is near garbage.
Quincey is near garbage with bloated contract.

If he continues to play like this so far, he has guaranteed place alongside Liles.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 11-23-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Boris RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
guest1467

Jumping the gun are we jeez? Do you know how many times players play over their heads when they get traded? They want to make the team, they get a kick in the ass, and their team mates want to let them fit in.

O´byrne is not a smart hockey player. He can make a lateral hit at the boards, but after that his skills and smarts are below average. Avalanche fans will see soon enough. You cant teach a dumb hockey player how to play smarter.

That said, he could definitely be better than he was here, giving that he doesnt always have to sit in the pressbox because of inferior depth.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

vCash: 134
Not looking like the worst trade.

Bournival making it a case for himself.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Nice bump. Almost got scared and thought we traded Bournival away.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:54 PM
knuck
On and off fan

holy crap my heart stopped for a second

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
CP31

Lol I thought we traded Bournival

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:03 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Another trade by Gauthier looking good in retrospect.

(Not to mention his trading up for Tinordi)

hogtownhabsfan* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Kriss E

Maybe wait until Bournival breaks the 300 NHL game mark like OB did before really claiming that it's a good trade.
Looking pretty good thus far but Bournival hasn't played a game yet.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Another trade by Gauthier looking good in retrospect.

(Not to mention his trading up for Tinordi)
Looking not so bad is probably a better statement at this point.

Trading a 2nd round pick + 1st to move up a few spots in the late 1st round is perhaps better left unmentioned if we're looking at positives... Drafting is all Timmins + his staff.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Clumsyhab

Bournival could end up being a very good 3rd line winger. Reminds me a little bit of Higgins.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Bournival could end up being a very good 3rd line winger. Reminds me a little bit of Higgins.
His game reminds me of Dominic Moore for some reasons.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote