HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Critically Important Question about Hockey in HD

Old
11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Critically Important Question about Hockey in HD

So I am treating myself to a new TV for the holidays and am going to take advantage of all the great deals going on this week. The 32" tube top I've had for 15 years is finally going into retirement.

I want to buy this TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55C6300SFXZA

I love everything about it, the picture looks ****ing incredible. I am so damn excited to run out and buy it, except I am concerned about watching hockey and other fast paced movies/sports/shows on a TV with a 120hz refresh rate.

Who has an LED TV with a 120hz refresh rate and can you tell me if there is any blurring or artifacting or other general unpleasantness when watching hockey in HD?

I have read that a Plasma TV is best for sports because the refresh rates get so much higher, but have been reading mixed things about watching sports on a TV like the one I'm planning on getting. LED, 120hz.

How it handles hockey is, ofcourse, the single most important aspect of whatever TV I end up buying.

I'm getting ready to burst at the thought of watching the Kings on a TV like this, but I will tear my own eyes out if I spend such an ass load of cash and get home only to find it doesn't handle the thing I care most about with the utmost quality.

So, I would GREATLY appreciate any comments and/or suggestions those of you who own similar TVs, or have viewed hockey on plasma or LED TVs can give me about your experiences!

Thanks in advance

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Don't do it.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:05 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

If you buy it and it doesn't handle hockey games then return it.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:43 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Don't do it.
Well that's helpful. Or, not.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
If you buy it and it doesn't handle hockey games then return it.
Best sales are right now though. If I return it I'll probably Have to pay closer to full price on whichever other one I would try.

I can only afford the one I posted because its 900 bux off until Thursday.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:54 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Best sales are right now though. If I return it I'll probably Have to pay closer to full price on whichever other one I would try.

Dumb move dawg. Black friday = this friday. Dew it then Deano

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:55 AM
sweatypickle

I have a Sharp 55 Quattron and 2 year old Samsung with 120Hz refresh (which was one of the first) and both are totally fine with HD Hockey... enjoy it! had a plasma about 5 ago and notice no difference with regard to tearing or blurring..

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Dumb move ddawg. Black friday = this friday. Dew it then Deano
Yeah I'm not waiting at best buy at 5 am lol. I was told that the deals for Friday or no different than this week except for 'doorbusters'... and again, not planning on camping outside an electronics store.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
I have a Sharp 55 Quattron and 2 year old Samsung with 120Hz refresh (which was one of the first) and both are totally fine with HD Hockey... enjoy it! had a plasma about 5 ago and notice no difference with regard to tearing or blurring..
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I had to hear it from other hockey obsessed folk.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:16 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I had to hear it from other hockey obsessed folk.
Just remember you'll never be able to watch games in SD again! I get nearly all games for center ice in HD and trying to watch the Devils (MSG+ doesn't give the HD feed here) is excruciating...

Old
11-23-2010, 01:34 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Just remember you'll never be able to watch games in SD again! I get nearly all games for center ice in HD and trying to watch the Devils (MSG+ doesn't give the HD feed here) is excruciating...
A small price to pay!

Old
11-23-2010, 01:48 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I have a 50 something inch 3LCD Sony HD TV and have had no problems with it. I can't watch hockey in SD anymore, it's just totally unwatchable.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:58 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Don't do it.
Don't listen to him. By all means do it!

Also order all your cables in advance from someplace like amazon or the like to save on the cost. Depending on your equipment, you'll probably need 2 hdmi cables, 1 for the sat/cable receiver and the other for a dvd player.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:59 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Yeah I'm not waiting at best buy at 5 am lol. I was told that the deals for Friday or no different than this week except for 'doorbusters'... and again, not planning on camping outside an electronics store.
Do they have a 7-day (or similar) price guarantee?

I know Walmart has one. I found out a few years ago about a 120Hz, 42" Sanyo LCD that was going on sale later that week on Black Friday as a Doorbuster. I bought it on Monday, paid full price, then went back on Black Friday and got the difference refunded to me. So I ended up getting the doorbuster deal without having to wait in line.

bfads.net is a pretty good resource this year.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:03 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Don't listen to him. By all means do it!

Also order all your cables in advance from someplace like amazon or the like to save on the cost. Depending on your equipment, you'll probably need 2 hdmi cables, 1 for the sat/cable receiver and the other for a dvd player.
monoprice.com! nothing else for cables of any sort...

Old
11-23-2010, 02:49 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Thanks for the responses guy!

I'm so ****ing stoked!!!!!

Old
11-23-2010, 05:29 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Should be fine man. I upgraded from my own boob tube a couple months ago. Never looked back.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I have a 50 something inch 3LCD Sony HD TV and have had no problems with it. I can't watch hockey in SD anymore, it's just totally unwatchable.
This. SD is just painful now.

I thought I was the last guy on the technology train.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

I have the 7 series 55 led, and love it. There aren't many TVs out there that have a better picture.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
mbar

Quote:
So I am treating myself to a new TV for the holidays and am going to take advantage of all the great deals going on this week. The 32" tube top I've had for 15 years is finally going into retirement.

I want to buy this TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55C6300SFXZA

I love everything about it, the picture looks ****ing incredible. I am so damn excited to run out and buy it, except I am concerned about watching hockey and other fast paced movies/sports/shows on a TV with a 120hz refresh rate.

Who has an LED TV with a 120hz refresh rate and can you tell me if there is any blurring or artifacting or other general unpleasantness when watching hockey in HD?

I have read that a Plasma TV is best for sports because the refresh rates get so much higher, but have been reading mixed things about watching sports on a TV like the one I'm planning on getting. LED, 120hz.

How it handles hockey is, ofcourse, the single most important aspect of whatever TV I end up buying.

I'm getting ready to burst at the thought of watching the Kings on a TV like this, but I will tear my own eyes out if I spend such an ass load of cash and get home only to find it doesn't handle the thing I care most about with the utmost quality.

So, I would GREATLY appreciate any comments and/or suggestions those of you who own similar TVs, or have viewed hockey on plasma or LED TVs can give me about your experiences!

Thanks in advance
If you can afford it, you won't regret it. I bought a very similar model (but in the 46 inch size) and love it love it love it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9832579

For sports especially, the picture is superb (depending on the quality of the production.) I find that outdoor events tend to look the very best. Hockey on this tv is fantastic, but doesn't quite blow me away like the NFL or EPL can.

The auto motion plus aspect can take some getting used to but tends to make you feel like you're in the room with the things on the tv. It can be turned off as well.

I replaced a 5 year old plasma HD tv with this one and it's just so much better.

Nobody needs a $2000 tv but if you can do it, you won't regret it. I did it cause I have a sickness for this type of thing.

Hope that helps. The TV I got is very similar so if you have specific questions, pm me.

In the end, if you're unhappy, you can always return the tv right? So little risk.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I have the 7 series as well and I love it

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
onlyalad

With hockey and TVs bigger is better. Just remember when watching movies or older recordings you may want to turn off the "Auto Motion Plus". While this helps in sports it can make mistakes with other media and add blur. It may not be a big deal. Who cares if on Wheel the pointer thing is blurry?

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I have a Vizio 32" LCD in my room that I love. My roommate bought a 50+" Sony LCD in the living room that is great too. I don't think you can really go wrong with an HDTV as long as you stay away from the ultra cheap stuff.

If you are patient, you can go to slickdeals.net and find a sweet deal. Just set up deal alerts for your account, add some key words and wait a few weeks/months and something will come up.

Here is an example of a deal that is going on right now. i don't know how good of a deal this is but..

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/4218...z-3d-hdtv-1849

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
santiclaws

Quote:

Actually, the best sales are probably going to be around X-mas. Flatscreen TV prices are expected to plunge due to overproduction in the next few weeks, so what you're seeing now is only the beginning. Take your time, there's no rush.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Actually, the best sales are probably going to be around X-mas. Flatscreen TV prices are expected to plunge due to overproduction in the next few weeks, so what you're seeing now is only the beginning. Take your time, there's no rush.
You think? It sounds like you are talking about MSRP prices right, not sales?

Where did you read this? LOL, nearly every electronics purpose I've ever made, regardless of how much research I do, I seem to see a price $500+ less than I paid a month or two later. Kind of the nature of the beast though. Prices never hold on electronics for more than a year.