11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I liked Bartkowski better during camp.

But Kampfer's numbers are literally double.

Seems to me to be more likely that when the scout mentions impressive offensive ability, it would apply to the defenseman who leads the team in scoring.
True, but it may not be the points. Might be his ability to carry the puck, make the first pass, or get his shot through.

Not saying those are it, or that he's better at those aspects than Kampfer, but I have to think that since their names aren't close to similar, he said Bartkowski because he meant it .

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:33 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Alexandrov, Kampfer and Bartowski are all legit despite what the "unknown" scout said.

Bartkowski would be the closest to NHL ready as the other two still have a few issues defensively but both have improved from the start of the season.

Kampfer is a high tempo puck carrying defense man in the mold of Wideman(The good not the bad)

I would leave all three down for the full year+ playoff's

I would say they have passed Penner for sure and probably Bodnarchuk as well on the depth chart of the future.

5 minutes a Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
I hope it's one of those rare cases where the sequel is far better than the original...sort of like a Terminator ---> Terminator 2 situation.
If you are saying Terminator 2 was better than The Terminator, that is absolutely preposterous.

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
SpitfireIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
There is a defenseman in the AHL who's on pace for a team leading 72 points , leads the team in +/- with a +9, shoots right, and only just turned 22 years old. Interested?

Meet Steven Kampfer.

I have to admit, when the Bruins acquired him and Bartkowski, I thought they were nothing more than filler for Providence. But what Kampfer is doing made me want to take another look...

Most of his numbers in college are admittedly unimpressive, but there seems to be some worthy back story there. First off, Kampfer was young in college. This is a kid who played four years at Michigan and was still only 21 years old when he showed up for his first training camp in September. He also had some off-ice issues that cost him his Junior year. It wasn't until his Senior year that he started to get things in order and it showed on the ice as he led the Wolverine defense in points, plus/minus, blocked shots and shots. He finished off that year with a strong tryout in Providence. Fast forward 6 months and he's raised his game again.

Could he be one of those late bloomers?

You don't see a lot of 21/22 year old, point-per-game defenseman in the minors. At least, not for very long. Providence has him listed at 5'11" 192lbs, which is about the same as Hunwick. And from what I can tell, he's not one-dimensional. He can and will hit, and if his suspension last week is any indication, he can play with a bit of an edge. I don't know what his top-end upside is, but the kid has certainly piqued my interest.

Thoughts? Any Providence regulars out there want to give us your progress/scouting report?
I'm starting to learn that all of these "little moves" that we have been making since Bradley moved over to pro-scouting are well researched. I too thought nothing of Bartowski or Kampfer but both have quite a bit of potential. Take a look at Bartowski in this video the kid has a big frame to say the least.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/tv/video.php?video_id=188

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

i actually liked Kampfer the most during training camp

seemed very mobile and had a good first pass

just had a very smooth skating style which reminded me of Niedermeyer a little bit when he was rushing the puck up ice

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

To me, Kampfer is better. Sure Bartkowski was the last cut but that means nothing. While they are good in Providence, they are not ready for the NHL. They need a full year to adjust to the pro game. Also, just because they are doing well now doesn't mean they won't hit that wall.

People need to have patience. Johnny Boychuk's success, combined with hard work, has a lot to do with the fact he was already in the NHL with Colorado at one point. He also was a forward, hence the ability to be mobile and have a lethal shot.

If you move Hunwick or Stuart, which I don't think they will, you would fill that slot with McQuaid and likely go with six defensemen. I don't think they touch the D based on salary and the fact they have been solid. They make mistakes but they recover well.

It feels like people have this rose colored view of these prospects because of what they saw in camp. Camp and actual games are completely different. People need to temper their wants and desires. Have some patience and actually give our current D a shot. Wanting to call up kids that are just not ready, and blow up what we currently have, isn't the way to go at this point.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Mark Stuart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
if it's any of those three, it'd be Alexandrov. i doubt that with the adjustment from college to the pros (aka: double the schedule length) that either kampfer or bartk will be in any shape to play in the NHL by March.
Since 2005...

Kampfer: 209 (avg: 42 games per season)
Alexandrov: 206 (avg: 41 games per season)

Not really that much of a difference

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Alan Ryan

Malt had this to say about the Providence defensemen in the other thread, emphasizing that they should all play in the AHL this season to get the experience they need:

The D prospects are strong this year, despite some early season gaffes. Kampfer is very strong offensively and defensively and could be a top 4 player for Boston. But I think it's important tp let him play out the year in Providence. Let me be the top scoring D and give him a chance next fall.

Alexandrov continues to improve in his own zone and his skating and passing are as good as anyone in Boston now. He's got much to learn, but I think he's keeper as long as he doesn't get homesick.

Bartowski has been OK, but he may need a year or two in the AHL to mature. He makes risky plays now and then, and I haven't seen enough physicality out of him.

I think Bodnarchuck has topped out as a strong AHL player, but he might not get much of a chance in Boston. Maybe he get get a gig as a 6-7 D somewhere else. I like his play, but he doesn't have the size or skill to pass the others on the depth chart.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Malt had this to say about the Providence defensemen in the other thread, emphasizing that they should all play in the AHL this season to get the experience they need:

The D prospects are strong this year, despite some early season gaffes. Kampfer is very strong offensively and defensively and could be a top 4 player for Boston. But I think it's important tp let him play out the year in Providence. Let me be the top scoring D and give him a chance next fall.

Alexandrov continues to improve in his own zone and his skating and passing are as good as anyone in Boston now. He's got much to learn, but I think he's keeper as long as he doesn't get homesick.

Bartowski has been OK, but he may need a year or two in the AHL to mature. He makes risky plays now and then, and I haven't seen enough physicality out of him.

I think Bodnarchuck has topped out as a strong AHL player, but he might not get much of a chance in Boston. Maybe he get get a gig as a 6-7 D somewhere else. I like his play, but he doesn't have the size or skill to pass the others on the depth chart.
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Malt?

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Boston's defense completely outplayed the Monarch's which included 3 of LA's top 7 prospects (Hickey, Voynov, Teubert) and another in the teens (Martinez)...to be fair, I have no clue other than what I see at this level and what I read on these guys but Boston's guys were bringing it.

I disagree with whatever that scout say about that team being devoid of prospects because I'll trump that guy with someone who played in the NHL, coached, scouted, etc.... (Eric knows who I am talking about) and he said the Providence defense has a few guys who definitely have a very good chance of making the jump and being good.

Alexandrov by this time next year if he gets another 60-80 games under his belt, and adapts to the culture is going to be a very good NHLer. I've keyed on him and he's got some serious skill. He was taken in the top third of the second round of a good draft- he must have something, and I've been to 6 Providence games and he has impressed me alot.

Kampfer moves the puck- picked up first star, not sure how his defense will be, but he's got the offensive mind and doesn't shy away. Not that big, smaller side of average, and would not mind seeing him get a chance.

The guy who did not get a star against the Monarch's but I think has gotten so much better this year is Penner. Most improved player I have seen over the past year. Lights out better.

Bodnarchuk is tough as nails and a personal favorite of mine- plays hard, fearless, and not a bad little player at all. He took on Justin Johnson and held his own, landing some big shots against a major tough guy- who had pounded Brian McGrattan earlier in the game.

I don't know what it is, but everytime I try and watching Bartkowski, I end up watching Kampfer more, or Alexandrov or one of the others.

It's a good group; and I stick by my view that Arniel can play in the NHL and play well. He does everything above average. He always seems to be in the right place and imo is way more refined, consistent, and better than Marchand at this level. Arniel will make it and be a good player- reminds me of a less edgy than Nate Thompson, and more consistent in every facet.

I have not even touched on Sauve and Colborne.

Time will show this guy is completely wrong- at least two of these guys will become successful players at the next level and would not surprise me if its more.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Malt?
Malt is one of the best posters regarding the Providence Bruins. He sees them in person and really knows the players.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

It has been too long since the Bruins had a legit D prospect.I really hope the ABC (alexandrov,Bartowski and Campfer) can play at the next level.
P.S. I know its Kampfer but ABK doesnt make sense.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by camorr84 View Post
It has been too long since the Bruins had a legit D prospect.I really hope the ABC (alexandrov,Bartowski and Campfer) can play at the next level.
P.S. I know its Kampfer but ABK doesnt make sense.
How about the BAK end?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
yippiepaillemf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
How about the BAK end?
sounds kinda gay...

yippiepaillemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Kampfer and Bartkowski both could help this team out. I think it'd be worth giving one of them a shot.
Throw caution to the wind, move Ference(who I like) and Hunwick(who gives me heart palipatations), promote from within. The B`s would take some lumps with the kids, but it would sure be fun to watch.

Some fans want a more aggressive run and gun style, I don`t believe they have all the necessary pieces yet. Spooner/Segs/Colborne and Knight in a spoked B will have a decided impact on their speed up front( I know Joe isn`t a speed demon but he`s a solid puck mover from what I have read?), they need to match that on the backend and this team would be a blast to watch.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote