HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is a "tough" team.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
This is a "tough" team.

Tortorella has been yapping on about team-toughness since he took over the HC position. It was obvious we weren't a team built for his style. While he doesn't encourage scrapping much, he certainly approves of the style of hockey this team has been playing from day 1 this season.

Been a long time coming, but I think we finally have a team that can bang with the best of them.

That slight, uneasy feeling in my stomach is gone. I'm damn proud we've weeded out the ****** in the lockerroom. I'm no longer afraid of all-out brawls with this team. Or post-whistle scrums.

I'm not just talking about the physical aspect of the game. The team itself is tougher to play against. There's obviously a lot of hockey left to be played, but you gotta appreciate the system Torts has implemented thus far, as far as
Quote:
creating a team that's tougher to play against.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I wouldnt say tough, but hard working, grinding, ect.

Guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Avery, Prust they force turnovers because defensemen force plays and dont like getting hit every single damn time they move the puck.

I think a lot of it is the Tortorella forecheck mentality.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Fedotenko can be absolutely filthy in the neutral zone defensively. I saw at least two or three clean pickpocketing jobs he pulled against Calgary.

I'm also very pleased with Eminger. I saw him forcibly remove Flames forwards from in front of the net, before and after the whistle.

Last edited by Wraparounds: 11-23-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Fedotenko can be absolutely filthy in the neutral zone defensively. I saw at least two or three clean pickpocketing jobs he pulled against Calgary.

I'm also very please with Eminger. I saw him forcibly remove Flames forwards from in front of the net, before and after the whistle.
He and Sauer both are great at that.

The team has developed a toughness. Like Fitzy said, no one likes to get hit every single touch of the puck. If you've played hockey, you know how ****ing annoying and physically tiresome that can get.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Torts is a great coach. Ive always believed what he preaches. He runs the team the exact way i would run the team, sans his constant line juggling.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I wouldnt say tough
I absolutely would.

This isn't a team that's going to get pushed around, like we were in the past. The only pansies on this team are EC, Stepan, White, and Gilroy.

I think we can hold our ground physically against any team in the league.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:52 AM
NYR Viper

As Torts would say, "It's a process here". It has gotten a LOT better since he took over as coach and to me, this is how hockey should be played, but you better believe that both Torts and Sather(who is known to like to have a "tough" team) want to continue moving further in that direction.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Sockosensei

On a related note, the Calgary broadcasters were trying to downplay fact that the Rangers are first in the league in hits and blocked shots by saying, "Well, these stats are subjective and the scorers at MSG are a bit too lenient."

But by the end of the game they had changed their tune and were recognizing that actually Rangers team DOES hit and does sacrifice.

I'm always happy to see this type of Rangers 'toughness' acknowledged even by other teams' homer announcers. And I think it's a kind of toughness that contributes even more to winning than the ole' fisticuffs.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This is a very good post. Spot on. The days of figure skating are over. This is a tough team. We have a player who leads the league in hits, we have a team effort of blocking shots that leads the league. Callahan is how we identify as a team. Doesn't pass up on a chance to dish out a nice hard clean check.

Last season we acquired a player in Prust who led the league in fighting majors, and this is b/c he isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone. He's also someone who can play a cycle and grind game. Great on the fore check and great at retrieving the puck. The Prust trade is a huge trade for us...HUGE. He epitomizes the transition to a team that is real tough to play against. A pain in the ass type of team.

This off season you sign Boogard. Probably the best heavyweight in the business, and if his 260+ pounds has you lined up you better watch out.

Torts also suggests Fedotenko to come over for a try out. This is another 3rd line gritty 2 way player who can provide a nice 15-15 or 15-20to25 season. He plays an in your face game and rarely ever shies away from contact.

When you look at the picture you can tell that management and coaching decided a route that epitomizes grit, toughness, hustle etc. When you don't have high end talent this type of system can pay dividends. Especially in a playoff atmosphere when it's all about board battles etc.

Heck we even traded for Valentenko, and drafted MCilrath. It's all making sense now....and when it does it's then you realize that your team finally has an identity. Brian Burke would kill to have our squad right now. His stanley cup champion Anaheim team played similar hockey, except they had a bit more talent in their top 6.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:06 AM
XLJ

I agree they are a tough team. The way they block shots and the way they are finishing their checks. They are sticking up for each other not getting pushed around. Its good to see. This is a much more enjoyable team to watch than last year.

I think Sauer and surprisingly Eminger brought a little more "jam" to the blueline. Last year our bottom pair was Gilroy & Redden. That must of been the softest pair in the league. Honestly Stajan could of probably had his head down crossing the blueline last year and not get hit. Boyle has really raised his physical game too. I think he just realized he is one of the bigger players in the league. He is running people over.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:14 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
All the Ranger forwards did a fabulous job of backchecking the last 5 minutes of the game. Stepan, Frolov, Gabby, Dubi, Cally, Arty as well as Feds all broke up rushes or picked pockets.

Talkin about toughness,... Love how Boogie neutralized Calgary's payback after the Staal hit. He was looking to drop the gloves, but there were no takers. But the after effect was huge as Calgary stopped running at Rangers. Guess the time on the clock had something to do with that too.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I agree they are a tough team. The way they block shots and the way they are finishing their checks. They are sticking up for each other not getting pushed around. Its good to see. This is a much more enjoyable team to watch than last year.

I think Sauer and surprisingly Eminger brought a little more "jam" to the blueline. Last year our bottom pair was Gilroy & Redden. That must of been the softest pair in the league. Honestly Stajan could of probably had his head down crossing the blueline last year and not get hit. Boyle has really raised his physical game too. I think he just realized he is one of the bigger players in the league. He is running people over.
Yes, Boyle has also elevated his physical play. Good call. It's like the dude woke up and finally realized that he is ****ing enormous.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Been a long time coming, but I think we finally have a team that can bang with the best of them.

We are alot tougher this year but we cant bang with the best of them ... yet. Philly manhandled us couple weeks ago and we looked rattled.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Blueshirt Special

Finally!

Geez I am so tired of being the team everyone can push around!

Do I see a playoff war with a team from Pennsylvania in our future?...

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I absolutely would.

This isn't a team that's going to get pushed around, like we were in the past. The only pansies on this team are EC, Stepan, White, and Gilroy.

I think we can hold our ground physically against any team in the league.
I wouldn't put Stepan in that category. I think he's got a mental toughness and a willingness to battle. I'm not sure if you saw his interview after the game, but, he said it was "fun" playing in games last night. Let him develop physically, and, he'll be right in the mix.

What I liked about last night was that, 1) the Rangers had plenty of willing participants in the physicalaity department, and 2) it was the physical play initiated by Rangers - Sauer, Callahan and Staal, most notably - that got the Flames' panties in a bunch. I do think this is a tough team team...both physically, and, just as important, mentally. This is one of the most enjoyable developments of this season so far, and, augurs well for the future.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:52 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
All the Ranger forwards did a fabulous job of backchecking the last 5 minutes of the game. Stepan, Frolov, Gabby, Dubi, Cally, Arty as well as Feds all broke up rushes or picked pockets.

Talkin about toughness,... Love how Boogie neutralized Calgary's payback after the Staal hit. He was looking to drop the gloves, but there were no takers. But the after effect was huge as Calgary stopped running at Rangers. Guess the time on the clock had something to do with that too.
Good points. I said something similar about Boogie last night in the game thread. Jackman and Moss were totally distracted and intimidated by him on that shift after the hit when Calgary was running around.

I wonder how/if Gabby integrates himself more into this style. It's a tough style for a "Mr. Glass" type of player.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Levitate

It's still early but the team actually looks like a pretty good hockey team out there...one that theoretically is just a piece or two away from being a contender.

Of course that's based on the Rangers continuing to get good production out of guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Feds, Stepan, etc. But if that all holds, another top end guy could push this team to being more than just 5-8 seed playoff team.

Now acquiring that extra piece is the difficult part...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Tortorella has been yapping on about team-toughness since he took over the HC position. It was obvious we weren't a team built for his style. While he doesn't encourage scrapping much, he certainly approves of the style of hockey this team has been playing from day 1 this season.

That slight, uneasy feeling in my stomach is gone. I'm damn proud we've weeded out the ****** in the lockerroom. I'm no longer afraid of all-out brawls with this team. Or post-whistle scrums.

I'm not just talking about the physical aspect of the game. The team itself is tougher to play against. There's obviously a lot of hockey left to be played, but you gotta appreciate the system Torts has implemented thus far, as far as
Yes this is.

A very gritty team and one that is hard to play against (except for Colorado lol)

Seriously though, this is one of those kinds of teams that can cancel out some good offensive players and win games in the trenches.

Should we somehow get out hands on a guy like Richards and this is a very dangerous team.

I am liking this style.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Rangers44*

Which is why they should never have signed Boogaard. Team toughness is better than having the best enforcer.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Which is why they should never have signed Boogaard. Team toughness is better than having the best enforcer.
Disagree, especially when you can sport both, team toughness AND the Top Dog in the fight game.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:46 AM
terrrrrible

Quote:
Just had to rain on the parade, didn't you? We don't have Boogaard, and someone floors Gaborik after that big hit by Staal.

Last night's game was a lot of fun to watch. I was worried we were going to end up taking a penalty and going a man down more times than we needed to, but with the way Biron was playing, I don't think that would have mattered. He has a shutout had we one guy back on that goal.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
Just had to rain on the parade, didn't you? We don't have Boogaard, and someone floors Gaborik after that big hit by Staal.

Last night's game was a lot of fun to watch. I was worried we were going to end up taking a penalty and going a man down more times than we needed to, but with the way Biron was playing, I don't think that would have mattered. He has a shutout had we one guy back on that goal.
Flames almost got Boogaard to take a bad penalty.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I wouldn't put Stepan in that category. I think he's got a mental toughness and a willingness to battle. I'm not sure if you saw his interview after the game, but, he said it was "fun" playing in games last night. Let him develop physically, and, he'll be right in the mix.

What I liked about last night was that, 1) the Rangers had plenty of willing participants in the physicalaity department, and 2) it was the physical play initiated by Rangers - Sauer, Callahan and Staal, most notably - that got the Flames' panties in a bunch. I do think this is a tough team team...both physically, and, just as important, mentally. This is one of the most enjoyable developments of this season so far, and, augurs well for the future.
Watching him the dude will fight for the puc and hit but clearly is a rookie and hasn't fully figured out how to use his body and sticvk right in this league not to mention he's still got a lot of room to grow into his body so he's bound to get outmuscled a lot. It's the same I saw with Artie last year he was trying to adjust and it takes awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I[B]Good points. I said something similar about Boogie last night in the game thread. Jackman and Moss were totally distracted and intimidated by him on that shift after the hit when Calgary was running around.

I wonder how/if Gabby integrates himself more into this style. It's a tough style for a "Mr. Glass" type of player.
They tried to goad Boog's into a penalty instead of showing some cajones. Plus the Ranger team as a whole defended itself after that hit. Iginla looked like aman possessed after that hit at first though. You could really see him at his best in that shift as a player and captain b/c the team took its cue from his shift.

Gabs doesn't shy from physical play and defense. He gets hurt on routine plays too but he definitely doesn't shy from running into people as oppossed to always around them.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's still early but the team actually looks like a pretty good hockey team out there...one that theoretically is just a piece or two away from being a contender.

Of course that's based on the Rangers continuing to get good production out of guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Feds, Stepan, etc. But if that all holds, another top end guy could push this team to being more than just 5-8 seed playoff team.

Now acquiring that extra piece is the difficult part...
I started thinking this 3-4 games ago. Richards, a #1 C, is the obvious choice. But the more I thought about it, the more I think another top 4 d-man would help us more. Scoring goals hasn't been a problem for us this season. Defense has. At the deadline, trade a 2nd rounder and a mid-tier prospect for a top 4 d-man and we'd be good to go, IMO. Sign Richards in the summer.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Wrong...Boogaard pretty much nullified any response from Calgary after the Staal hit on Stajan...effective use of Boogaard by Tortorella in that instance.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote