HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is a "tough" team.

Old
11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Blueblood 2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Torts is a great coach. Ive always believed what he preaches. He runs the team the exact way i would run the team, sans his constant line juggling.
Bingo! A team takes on the personality of their Coach. I loved our coach's reaction at the final buzzer last night. He loved that game and the fist pump said it all!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Flames almost got Boogaard to take a bad penalty.
LOL wow a almost penalty thank god they almost didn't score on the almost power play.

Last edited by Dagoon44: 11-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Watching him the dude will fight for the puc and hit but clearly is a rookie and hasn't fully figured out how to use his body and sticvk right in this league not to mention he's still got a lot of room to grow into his body so he's bound to get outmuscled a lot. It's the same I saw with Artie last year he was trying to adjust and it takes awhile.

They tried to goad Boog's into a penalty instead of showing some cajones. Plus the Ranger team as a whole defended itself after that hit. Iginla looked like aman possessed after that hit at first though. You could really see him at his best in that shift as a player and captain b/c the team took its cue from his shift.

Gabs doesn't shy from physical play and defense. He gets hurt on routine plays too but he definitely doesn't shy from running into people as oppossed to always around them.
The flames picked up their hitting and hustle level after Staals hit in response to it. Boogaard did nothing to scare or intimidate the other team. In fact he probably encouraged them to take shots on him and prove they won't be bullied. They outshout and outchanced the rangers big time in the last 10 minutes. They also picked up their hitting and went toe-to-toe with the Rangers.
The positive here is that the Rangers as a team did not crumble and were able to play through the increased physicality and responded in kind. Boogaard was irreveleant, thus proving the enforcer fallacy. No one on the flames is going to alter their play due to an enforcer. They don't sign their people that way, they aren't coached that way and they will not employ players that will be affectrd by an enforcer.
Riddle me this, You think Iginla is intimidated to hit and play physical because of Boogaard?

Positive here is that the Rangers proved their mettle and did not back down and held on for the win.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Flames almost got Boogaard to take a bad penalty.
Really....

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Levitate

Yeah well Boogaard almost drew a penalty on the Flames after he got crosschecked/interfered with in the offensive zone. So if we're talking about "almost penalties"...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I wouldnt say tough, but hard working, grinding, ect.

Guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Avery, Prust they force turnovers because defensemen force plays and dont like getting hit every single damn time they move the puck.

I think a lot of it is the Tortorella forecheck mentality.
To me, that is tough hockey. Not beating guys up, but playing hard, taking the body consistently, and standing up for each other.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Which is why they should never have signed Boogaard. Team toughness is better than having the best enforcer.
i'm not a boogey supporter but you can make a big time argument that he is one of the biggest reasons that our team has played so tough. its simply human nature that everyone else feels braver and tougher knowing that they have the biggest and baddest guy on their side if anything happens

he's still overpaid but other guys walk with a little extra swagger knowing that he's there

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:05 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i'm not a boogey supporter but you can make a big time argument that he is one of the biggest reasons that our team has played so tough. its simply human nature that everyone else feels braver and tougher knowing that they have the biggest and baddest guy on their side if anything happens

he's still overpaid but other guys walk with a little extra swagger knowing that he's there
It's hard to qualify, but I think you're absolutely correct. Look at our team toughness last season with Brashear/no enforcer vs. our team with Shelley. Totally different team attitude.

I've decried the need for an enforcer in the past, but I'm starting to change my tune.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I don't think Boogey's the main reason why we're a tough(er) team. Not sayin' his presence hasn't had a positive impact on his peers; only a fool would suggest that.

I just think it all starts with our core. Dubi, Cally, Staal and Girardi. Strong, tough kids that are all playing like Men instead of Boys, and it has rubbed off on their peers.

I can't say enough about Prust either. There was a reason why almost every single Flames fan *****ed when they traded him. He's gotten a hell of a lot better since we acquired him too.

The rest of the team itself doesn't take any BS. Sauer and Eminger have provided some extra oomph on the back-end. Feds has very quietly done his job too. He's not tough in the sense that he can fight, but he throws his body around and competes very hard.

Last season AA got pushed around during scrums. And he did absolutely nothing. Look at how he responds to that this season. Day/Night difference.

This is a tough team. I'm not Tortorella fanboy (I'm much more of a Renney guy ) but you have to give him some credit for designing a team that's capable of winning physical battles. You can't underestimate how important that apsect of the game is. Confidence makes a huge difference.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Pizza

It's a tougher team yes.

But I would like it to be even tougher...and I am confident that will happen.

I think the organization has finally gotten it.

A segment of our fan base has not. A Cup should change minds, but we've got a ways to go there.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
asparkoflife

I couldn't agree more with the OP. This team is tough. Maybe not in fighting terms(although we have 2 realy good fighters), but this team is not easy to match up against physically. They work hard, hit hard, and hit often. This is a team that I can see winning a few playoff series'.

They also are sticking up for each other and themselves. It's realy like watching 2 completely different teams from alst year to this year even though there wasn't much roster turnover.

What's even better is the fans are really starting to appreciate it. The Garden was showing a lot of love for the hard forecheck and work this team was putting in last night.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
The flames picked up their hitting and hustle level after Staals hit in response to it. Boogaard did nothing to scare or intimidate the other team. In fact he probably encouraged them to take shots on him and prove they won't be bullied. They outshout and outchanced the rangers big time in the last 10 minutes. They also picked up their hitting and went toe-to-toe with the Rangers.
The positive here is that the Rangers as a team did not crumble and were able to play through the increased physicality and responded in kind. Boogaard was irreveleant, thus proving the enforcer fallacy. No one on the flames is going to alter their play due to an enforcer. They don't sign their people that way, they aren't coached that way and they will not employ players that will be affectrd by an enforcer.
Riddle me this, You think Iginla is intimidated to hit and play physical because of Boogaard?

Positive here is that the Rangers proved their mettle and did not back down and held on for the win.
I agree with your conclusion about the positives. Pretty much everything else I disagree with.

The Flames picked up their level of play. Their tough guys were running around trying to nail Rangers anywhere and everywhere. Boogard went out there and basically shut the "frisky" stuff down. The Flames "tough guys" on the ice at the time backed down. From that point on the hitting was still there, it was still intense, but the "friskiness" was contained. Jackman was contained.

Boogard's presence was not irrelevant.

Iginla certainly won't be intimidated by Boogie b/c he doesn't have to be. He plays a clean game. The other team's goons/3rd & 4th liners have to watch how out-of-control they allow themselves to get when Boogard wears your sweater.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's a tougher team yes.

But I would like it to be even tougher...and I am confident that will happen.

I think the organization has finally gotten it.

A segment of our fan base has not. A Cup should change minds, but we've got a ways to go there.
Well said...if you look @ the past 4-5 drafts...we tooked the most skilled players...it wasn't until this years draft that Clark and Groton realize they need to incorporate some old fashion hockey players....they picked MacAttack, aka the truck, aka the undertaker, Yogan, Jason Wilson and Randy McNaught.

Winning hockey needs a balance of both and the Rangers are finally starting to realize this.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Well said...if you look @ the past 4-5 drafts...we tooked the most skilled players...it wasn't until this years draft that Clark and Groton realize they need to incorporate some old fashion hockey players....they picked MacAttack, aka the truck, aka the undertaker, Yogan, Jason Wilson and Randy McNaught.

Winning hockey needs a balance of both and the Rangers are finally starting to realize this.
Thanks.

To be fair to Clark and Groton, I think they are two pretty astute hockey people that have always had an appreciation for old school hockey.

Last season it was just so obvious what the team lacked that management had to do something significant.

Bringing in Prust and Boogaard and drafting with an emphasis on toughness as well as skill and character really point the franchise in a better direction imo.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think it's less on toughness and more on character.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Prust, and now this season Boyle all ooze it. Yes they're gritty, but they're all also incredibly clean players who play a very passionate game. This passion just involves destroying Stajan and co.

MDZ is also another guy with a ton of character, I really hope he can shake off his slump to play the game he and we know he can.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Even Gaborik is throwing his body around.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Wrong...Boogaard pretty much nullified any response from Calgary after the Staal hit on Stajan...effective use of Boogaard by Tortorella in that instance.
How did Boogaard accomplish that? Flames players don't have to fight him if they don't want to, nor should they have to. They can still do as they please to our other players out on the ice.... If Boogaard wants to drop the gloves and start throwing punches at one of them, well that just draws them a Power Play in a close game...

I'm a big proponent of having an enforcer on any given roster but Boogaard is so big that most players won't even fight him... But, he's not talented enough to be out on the ice very much when much of the altercations are going down.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThompsonIII View Post
Even Gaborik is throwing his body around.
Really only saw him do that in the MN game and I'm sure that had more to do with the venue than anything else... Never seen him play like that any other time against other teams.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
LOL wow a almost penalty thank god they almost didn't score on the almost power play.
that was almost awesome.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote