HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

RSL point system

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
RSL point system

Since I have been scouring the RSL sites looking for prospects info I came up on some interesting information about the way the Russian Super League scores victories and ties.

Here is there system...

Win=3 Points
OT Win=2 Points
OT Loss=1 Point
Tie=1 Point
Loss=0 Points

The problem I have with the NHL is ties.I hate them.Alot of teams are satisfied with playing to a tie.If this system were to be implemented in the NHL alot more teams would try alot harder those final 5 minutes of regulation time.What are your thoughts?

Old
10-05-2003, 10:45 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

wait, wat do u mean?

in the current system, u'r already guaranteed one point, regardless of u win or not. BUT, if u win, u get 2 points. the only difference between their system and ours is that their wins are 3 points, instead of 2. everything else works out.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
wait, wat do u mean?

in the current system, u'r already guaranteed one point, regardless of u win or not. BUT, if u win, u get 2 points. the only difference between their system and ours is that their wins are 3 points, instead of 2. everything else works out.
I think he means that teams would push for the win in regulation, instead of sitting back as regulation winds down and trying to get the tie and the guaranteed point.

I kind of like the RSL system as well, but I would like to see what percentage of their games go to OT and see if it's signifcantly less than the NHLs.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

We have the same system (as the RSL) in the SEL. I think it works ok, but I'm not much for penelty shootouts, I want continuous overtime or no overtime at all.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo
I think he means that teams would push for the win in regulation, instead of sitting back as regulation winds down and trying to get the tie and the guaranteed point.

I kind of like the RSL system as well, but I would like to see what percentage of their games go to OT and see if it's signifcantly less than the NHLs.
You hit the nail on the head.That was the point I was trying to make.I will do the calculations now and give you my findings.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Captain Ron

2002-03 NHL Season

1230 Games Played
157 Ties
189 OT Wins
----
346 Total OT Games
28.13% of all games went to OT

2002-03 RSL Season

459 Games Played
62 Ties
49 OT Wins
---
111 Total OT Games
24.18% of all games went to OT

This means there would have been 48 less games that went to OT last year.

I also like the system because It would take 3 Ties or OT losses to equal 1 Regulation time win.That might make a huge difference in the standings.Especially for teams that rack up the ties.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Brodie562

Why not just take away the point given for an OT loss? A loss is a loss why should the team get a point out of it?

Old
10-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562
Why not just take away the point given for an OT loss? A loss is a loss why should the team get a point out of it?
The NHL did that because they figured teams would take more chances in OT knowing that even if they lost they would still get a point.I think if the NHL adopted the RSL system more teams would push for victories in regulation time knowing that even if they won in OT they would only get 2 points instead of 3.

Closed Thread