HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects you liked (and why) and who failed to make it.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
rWoHockeyman88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Don't know why Peter White never made the big time.

And I still want Frank Bialowis to suit up for the Orange and Black...
If I vaguely remember Peter White married Clarke's daughter and they had a falling out so that hurt Peter White's chances with the organization. I am not sure about all the details.

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Bill_Meltzer

White did make it to the big club for a full season, playing on the 4th line (and there was a lot fan griping about nepotism, although it clearly was not the case). He was an AHL star but a poor skater, and that held him back in the NHL.

He was later reacquired and returned to the minors. He went through a nasty divorce with Jodi Clarke and was dealt to Utah before finishing his career with an underachieving season in Finland.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
White did make it to the big club for a full season, playing on the 4th line (and there was a lot fan griping about nepotism, although it clearly was not the case). He was an AHL star but a poor skater, and that held him back in the NHL.

He was later reacquired and returned to the minors. He went through a nasty divorce with Jodi Clarke and was dealt to Utah before finishing his career with an underachieving season in Finland.
Bill, what about Andre Razin. He was an older Russian player they drafted. I had heard that had they not signed Dopita they were going to bring him over. Any insight to that?

How about Ian Forbes? Love hearing about these guys that could have been. So many names from the past.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Pavel Brendl because he always gave 100%.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
psuflyer

One guy who I haven't seen mentioned yet that comes to mind is Peter Hubacek. I remember he made the roster and played a hell of a opening night game against the canucks and had maybe a goal and assist in a high scoring game. After that game I just remember thinking wow this kid is gonna be a stud. I think he only played maybe a handful more games for the flyers.

psuflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuflyer View Post
One guy who I haven't seen mentioned yet that comes to mind is Peter Hubacek. I remember he made the roster and played a hell of a opening night game against the canucks and had maybe a goal and assist in a high scoring game. After that game I just remember thinking wow this kid is gonna be a stud. I think he only played maybe a handful more games for the flyers.
played with tocchet and stevens on a line. Yep he looked good, played 6 games and never was heard from again.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Bill, what about Andre Razin. He was an older Russian player they drafted. I had heard that had they not signed Dopita they were going to bring him over. Any insight to that?

How about Ian Forbes? Love hearing about these guys that could have been. So many names from the past.
Yes, they drafted Razin in case they couldn't get Dopita signed. The team never even contacted him after the fact, but he was a good RSL player at the time.

Forbes was a project that didn't pan out. They loved his raw size, but he just couldn't play. He ended up going from the Phantoms to the ECHL but he didn't progress to any significant degree.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuflyer View Post

Notorious fast starter in the Czech Extraliga. Big, athletic and a great stick handler but that's all there was to him. He'd often explode out of the gates in the first few weeks of the season and then disappeared the rest of the season. He did the same thing in Philly and did nothing once sent down to the Phantoms.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Notorious fast starter in the Czech Extraliga. Big, athletic and a great stick handler but that's all there was to him. He'd often explode out of the gates in the first few weeks of the season and then disappeared the rest of the season. He did the same thing in Philly and did nothing once sent down to the Phantoms.
Who knew that 'Peter Hubachek' is the Czech translation for 'Brian Savage'?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yes, they drafted Razin in case they couldn't get Dopita signed. The team never even contacted him after the fact, but he was a good RSL player at the time.

Forbes was a project that didn't pan out. They loved his raw size, but he just couldn't play. He ended up going from the Phantoms to the ECHL but he didn't progress to any significant degree.
Wow, never even contacted him. Think his game would have translated in the nhl? Would he have come over you think? He was more of a set up guy from i remember reading about him.

I rememebr when they drafted pat murray and craig fisher how excited that they thought they hit 2 homeruns.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Bill, if I was gay I would have gay sex with you.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

By the time Peter White came to the organization would you consider him a prospect since it was his 6th season as a pro?

What you say is true about why he was loaned to Utah.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Only when he went to Krispy Kreme. What a waste of natural talent. If the guy only put in a little bit of effort he could have been a very good NHL forward.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
By the time Peter White came to the organization would you consider him a prospect since it was his 6th season as a pro?

What you say is true about why he was loaned to Utah.

Pretty much a career minor leaguer rather than a prospect at that point.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Bill, if I was gay I would have gay sex with you.

And if I was into that kind of thing, I would definitely film it.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Pretty much what I thought, so wouldn' necessarily include him in a thread about prospects that failed to make it. At the time the Flyers knew what they were getting. They were looking to stack the Phantoms roster to generate excitement and interest in AHL hockey and White was a legitimate AHL goal scorer.

The Phantoms teams in their first 2 seasons were really fun to watch. Just a great combination of proven AHL vets, young players and enforcers.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Only when he went to Krispy Kreme. What a waste of natural talent. If the guy only put in a little bit of effort he could have been a very good NHL forward.
Sarcasm.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
jb**

Quote:
The flyers have a high failure rate with drafted dman imo. Do you think the fault lied/lies in misidentifying the talent or more that they could not develop the players? I know it is a little of both but wanted your opinion. Seeing they never succeed anywhere else maybe it is more identifying the players.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Sarcasm.
I was aware. I was just adding one of the places where he actually put forth effort.

Old
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
lancer247

Did anyone say Colin Forbes?

I was President of the Colin Forbes fan club! Atleast that's what my some of my friends called me because I swore he would have a 10 year career once he was called up.

Stared off pretty good. He was called up for the SCF against the Red Wings, played on the original Phantom's cup team then had a really solid rookie season.

Forbes - Sillinger - Zubrus (?) was a red hot line for awhile that season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Another one I want to mention is patrick juhlen. Thought he was going to play wing with Lindros for 10 years. Had a great 94 olympics. Never panned out.
Yeah, I think he was not made for the 90's clutch and grab NHL. He would probably a better skating Ville Leino in today's NHL.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
RoDu

Milos Holan

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You could add in Renberg to that, maybe on a tier slightly below Pitkanen. The dude had a monster couple of season to start his career, but never really made it to what we all had hoped for after that injury - consistent first line potential all-star.
Yeah, nasty injury, "underrated" nasty in that it's hard to understand unlike a blown knee or busted arm.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Appleyard

I only really started watching the flyers in about 97-98, but one that stand out for me were Zubrus, i thought he was going to be the next big thing, always put him on the top line in nhl 98! i dont think we gave him enough time, although getting recchi out of dealing him was a good return.

I was devastated when we traded Sharp, he was one of my fave players at the time, and really did nothing wrong, i mean, we traded him for nothing, a third rounder and a career minor league player!

Pitkanen of course, for a few years he was incredible, the year after the lockout, wow, i mean 46 points in 58 games, could have been so much more.

Others: Justin williams, pat kavanagh, jason beckett, ruziscka, colin fraser, picard, potulaney (i always wondered why we didnt try and trade a few of the infinite amount of later round draft picks we had in 2003 to get a high 2nd rounder, we had 5 3rd rounders, the last four i mentioned there and another guy, everyone knew it was a good draft and it could have been feasible to get weber, howard, bergeron or carle(haha), or even backes, most of them were tipped to be solid nhl players, 2 third rounders and a solid player would have got us in the 2nd, i wanted to at the time to get Masi Marjamaki (thought he was really good! obv didnt turn out like that)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote