HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Notre Dame needs new coach

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
nrf83

vCash: 500
Notre Dame needs new coach

http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...041505aaa.html

Dave Poulin resigned, I have mixed feelings about him. Wonderful man, but not good enough recruiter or coach. Any speculation of who will replace him. Also I wonder if academics at ND affect the recruiting process? If anyone has any info would appreciate it.

Old
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Is there black smoke pouring out of Touchdown Jesus?

I don't think the acedemics is as much an issue in hockey as football. Several of the Ivies field competative teams.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...041505aaa.html

Dave Poulin resigned, I have mixed feelings about him. Wonderful man, but not good enough recruiter or coach. Any speculation of who will replace him. Also I wonder if academics at ND affect the recruiting process? If anyone has any info would appreciate it.
I disagree with the recruiting aspect here. He's brought in some wonderful kids in recent years, most notably Rob Globke and Wes O'Neill. Also, if you look at ND's incoming freshman class this fall, it's actually a fairly good looking bunch. Poulin recruited these kids.

I don't think academics played much of a role, if any, in Dave's decision to step down. What he'll be able to do is focus on what has been something that he's been passionate about for quite some time and that's giving the Joyce Center a facelift. It is one of, if not the worst arenas (as far as ice and facilities go) in the CCHA. The place is like a broom closet.

Also, most people have already forgotten about the fact that Dave was the one who spearheaded the campaign last spring/summer to have the NCAA's stupid "opt-in" rule for the NHL drat temporarily suspended.

Old
04-20-2005, 02:24 PM
nrf83

but they were dreadful this year. Poulin has never had a consistant winner at ND. I feel he was frustrated at the teams he fielded. You're right about the condition of the Joyce Center. It was built when I attended ND(class of70) Hopefully he can make it a 1st class facility again. I just think we need to recruit better players and make a concerted effort to get to the Frozen 4 every year. I think a big name coach is what we need. I just can't imagine who it would be? I just hope UND doesn't recycle one of Poulin's staff. OC, you have your ear to the ground, any clue?

Old
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
but they were dreadful this year. Poulin has never had a consistant winner at ND. I feel he was frustrated at the teams he fielded. You're right about the condition of the Joyce Center. It was built when I attended ND(class of70) Hopefully he can make it a 1st class facility again. I just think we need to recruit better players and make a concerted effort to get to the Frozen 4 every year. I think a big name coach is what we need. I just can't imagine who it would be? I just hope UND doesn't recycle one of Poulin's staff. OC, you have your ear to the ground, any clue?
One name I'd throw out there that I'd like to see Notre Dame consider is Colgate's Stan Moore. IMO, one of the best assistant/associate coaches in D-1 right now. He was named ECAC Coach of the Year in 2003-04 serving in an interim head coaching capacity when Colgate's current head coach Don Vaughan was serving as interim AD when Colgate was searching for a permanent AD. Moore has been a big part of the development and growth of the Raiders program in the last few years. He has a good eye for talent, he and Don have put together a very good system at Colgate and the program is on the rise, particularly with the school's ability to finally offer scholarships. Now, whether ND can lure Moore away from Colgate is another matter. If somehow the Irish could get Moore to South Bend (which may be a tall order right now), I think he could (eventually) build the program into a real winner.

Old
04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
nrf83

thanks OC. If i hear anything from South Bend I will post. If you hear anything I would appreciate letting me know. Thanks again

Old
04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Any word if ND has looked at Steve Miller or Seth Appert. When Gwoz got the WCHA COY award he stumped for them to get head coaching jobs.

Old
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Any word if ND has looked at Steve Miller or Seth Appert. When Gwoz got the WCHA COY award he stumped for them to get head coaching jobs.
I haven't heard any rumbles about it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially about Miller. Miller is another asst. that I think would make a terrific head coach.

Old
04-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I haven't heard any rumbles about it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially about Miller. Miller is another asst. that I think would make a terrific head coach.
Yeah I'd hate to lose the Space Cowboy. He's done great work with the recruiting and his handling of the goalies has been brilliant. Dubelwitz, Berkhoel Fischer and Mannino all are pro prospects and a freshman backstopped us to a repeat title.

Of course these are the things that make him such an attractive candidate.

I don't think there is 1% of the politics that goes into the football position, but what role does it play for hiring a hockey coach.

Old
05-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Inside College Hockey is reporting that former LSSU head coach and current New York Islanders asst. coach Jeff Jackson could be named the Fighting Irish's new head coach. Jackson led the Lakers to two NCAA Championships.

There had been some speculation that current Gophers head coach Don Lucia, who is a Notre Dame alum himself, would be tapped for the job. Coach Lucia declined, so you Gophers fans can relax now. Coach Don is staying at the U (as if that's as a real shock).

For those who want to read more about this, can check out the Inside College Hockey article on it.

Old
05-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Greyeagle

Jackson is hired.

In all honesty there was no way Lucia would leave MN for Notre Dame. Leaving MN to coach Notre Dame in hockey would be like leaving Notre Dame to coach MN in football.

Old
05-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle
Jackson is hired.

In all honesty there was no way Lucia would leave MN for Notre Dame. Leaving MN to coach Notre Dame in hockey would be like leaving Notre Dame to coach MN in football.
Thanks for posting the link, Greyeagle. I agree about Lucia not leaving MN, I just couldn't see it either, especially with that awesome freshman class coming in.

Notre Dame has some good freshmen coming in this fall and they're a very young team, so hopefully Jackson can get the Irish back on the winning track (especially as far as scoring is concerned). I wish him all the best.

Old
05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
PuckFan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle
Leaving MN to coach Notre Dame in hockey would be like leaving Notre Dame to coach MN in football.
A perfect way of describing it. Anytime I read any person speculate as if Lucia would seriously consider it, it made me wonder what they were smoking. He isn't going to leave one of the top jobs in all college hockey to be coach at a school where hockey is essentially an afterthought.

Old
05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
nrf83

http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...ckey-body.html

His resume looks very impressive. Looks like ND found themselves a great coach. I hate that he worked for Fishsticks, but if he is successful as everyone thinks, I'll get over it.

Old
05-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

According to this article posted over on the Inside College Hockey site, Paul Pooley is leaving Providence to take an assistant's job at ND. Pooley and Jackson worked together at Lake State so the two know one another well. If you've been keeping up with the threads here on this (college hockey) forum, we've discussed the possibility of Pooley being dismissed from PC earlier. Jackson has elected to keep Andy Slaggert on as the other assistant coach.

Closed Thread