HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Top Flight Center vs Another Winger?

Old
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
A Top Flight Center vs Another Winger?

All the talk of Brad Richards sounds great for this team, but Derek Stepan has started to find his game and a 4-game point streak. I guess I'm just curious as what does everyone think are we better off demoting Stepan to thirdline and go after Richards in the upcoming months or even off-season. Or do we use some of the packages being proposed for Richards to go get a top flight leftwing, and let Stepan continue to build into that #1 Center.

I know the outlook on the cap for us is bleak but I think no matter what moves were made ya know Glen and the Boys would make it all fit somehow. This is what I think are the road blocks more so going forward..

- Drury, it's either buyout or nothing because his family and friends live in Connecticut, and he wouldn't waive his nmc for anything imo.

Once everyone his healthy that is currently on this team it probably would look like this..

Frolov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky- Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Fedotenko
Avery/Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

scratch = Christensen, White.

With Prospal & Frolov both UFA's at years end, there room on the left side. We have three prospects at this point that conceivably could crack in those spots (Kreider, Zuccarello & Grachev)

So looking at that is it better by trade deadline to acquire a high end leftwinger? or do we drop Stepan down to 3rd line? Of course if Stepan is dropped to 3rd line we'll have quite the cluster of forwards in our 3rd and 4th lines.

Some names obviously being tossed around for trade so far this year are Richards, Semin, Penner, Hemsky... So I see the perk to both a Center and A top flight Winger, What do you guys think?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Vitto79

we need a top C and that's that. Just imagine if this team can lock up Richards for long term(he's only 30) and then have Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle ............

C for sure. No point to rush Stepan. He is doing well but when Drury is back he may be best served in the AHL for a bit and called up if injuries occur

I just hope they don't over spend on Richards in a deal. I am okay with Grachev, few 2nds and then fillers like Christensen, Gilroy and Rozsival to make the money work as long as they get Richards and lock him up and a Dman like a Daley to replace Rozy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Get a top flight LW. We have great center depth down the middle in terms of players under 22, with the likes of Anisimov, Stepan, Horak, Werek, and Boyle. Down the left side, we have Kreider and Dubinsky. No real star power.

11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Ke11y96

See I'd rather get a great winger that is a 40g - 40 a guy. that is on the right side of 30 years old. Of course that big stumbling block would be Drury for cap reasons regardless if its Brad Richards or A winger plus the placement of Stepan.

The only place I could remotely see Drury waiving his nmc is for Buffalo. Hasn't Vanek kinda fallen out of buffalo? I know he's played better as of late but for cap purposes those two in a switch wouldn't be bad then of course picks and prospects on our end. Grachev +

top two lines of
Vanek - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Cally

That would look real nice.

Old
11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Deep down the middle wins championships, centers, defense, goalies....wingers are interchangeable. This team will win more games this year from better goal tending alone. Build from the middle out. If the Organization feels that Step is the #1 pivot, which he may very well be and AA is the #2 and Boyle is the #3, then we may be set and go from there.

I still think at this time, Drury for Richards, straight up, is a good deal. Drury should OK the deal because the tax structure difference would net him more money. Dallas makes out because they get a right handed shot which they've needed forever, while Ribeiro is still their primary setup guy and Richards is still testing the market at the end of the year. Rangers obviously don't need Drury now. Cap and Real money is about the same for both clubs at this point. Cap for Dallas next year is less and real money is much less which works out for them. Rangers can choose to resign or frees up cap space to do what they want because Stepan, AA, Boyle and others are all a year older.

Last edited by vipernsx: 11-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
mullichicken25

i say we go with a top flight center

worst case senerio is that Stepan turns out awesome and he or AA becomes far and away the best 3rd line center in the league

hows that a problem?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i say we go with a top flight center

worst case senerio is that Stepan turns out awesome and he or AA becomes far and away the best 3rd line center in the league

hows that a problem?
Unless Anisimov loses an arm, he'll be at least a 2nd line center. he's performing at that level NOW.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
All the talk of Brad Richards sounds great for this team, but Derek Stepan has started to find his game and a 4-game point streak. I guess I'm just curious as what does everyone think are we better off demoting Stepan to thirdline and go after Richards in the upcoming months or even off-season. Or do we use some of the packages being proposed for Richards to go get a top flight leftwing, and let Stepan continue to build into that #1 Center.

I know the outlook on the cap for us is bleak but I think no matter what moves were made ya know Glen and the Boys would make it all fit somehow. This is what I think are the road blocks more so going forward..

- Drury, it's either buyout or nothing because his family and friends live in Connecticut, and he wouldn't waive his nmc for anything imo.

Once everyone his healthy that is currently on this team it probably would look like this..

Frolov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky- Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Fedotenko
Avery/Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

scratch = Christensen, White.

With Prospal & Frolov both UFA's at years end, there room on the left side. We have three prospects at this point that conceivably could crack in those spots (Kreider, Zuccarello & Grachev)

So looking at that is it better by trade deadline to acquire a high end leftwinger? or do we drop Stepan down to 3rd line? Of course if Stepan is dropped to 3rd line we'll have quite the cluster of forwards in our 3rd and 4th lines.

Some names obviously being tossed around for trade so far this year are Richards, Semin, Penner, Hemsky... So I see the perk to both a Center and A top flight Winger, What do you guys think?
Would I rather have Semin than Richards? Yes...

Its hard to say, GM is an easy job on the interwebs.

Go for the best player available. I keep waiting for Malkin to be dieing inside. Than you get a guy who does it all.

11-23-2010, 11:19 AM
clmetsfan

If forced to choose, I'm going with the center. I'd rather have a guy who makes everyone around him better. That's not to say that a top-flight winger like Ovie or Gabby doesn't, but not to the degree that a Crosby or Datsyuk does.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

There is already some serious speculation that JT won't re-sign with the Islanders. If you get Richards you'll miss the opportunity of stealing that kid while he's still a baby

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd take another defenseman.

11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Unless Anisimov loses an arm, he'll be at least a 2nd line center. he's performing at that level NOW.
thats true but he's also very good defensively and could fill the role of the #3 center...maybe shift boyle to lw and have boyle-AA-callahan as your shutdown line

but it really wouldn't be a '3rd line' if you went 3 deep with richards (or another elite center), stepan and anisimov i think it would be done with the intention of stepan and aa being lines 2 and 2a...depth like that would be a very good thing

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd take another defenseman.
take drury and rosy's salaries and get both

Old
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
msv957

I believe you have to go with a #1 center in Brad Richards. He is a proven player in the regular season and also playoffs. He is only 30 years old so he probably has a good 5 years or so left...

This takes the pressure off of Stepan, AA and Boyle at the Center position. These young players can then develop at a good pace instead of forcing them into roles that are too much to handle for young players... Also, watching Richards for the next 5 years will only help these young players.

This would be a perfect situation

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:37 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
There is already some serious speculation that JT won't re-sign with the Islanders. If you get Richards you'll miss the opportunity of stealing that kid while he's still a baby
he won't be free till he's 25. by that point richards contract will be expired if we signed him

Old
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
See I'd rather get a great winger that is a 40g - 40 a guy. that is on the right side of 30 years old. Of course that big stumbling block would be Drury for cap reasons regardless if its Brad Richards or A winger plus the placement of Stepan.

The only place I could remotely see Drury waiving his nmc is for Buffalo. Hasn't Vanek kinda fallen out of buffalo? I know he's played better as of late but for cap purposes those two in a switch wouldn't be bad then of course picks and prospects on our end. Grachev +

top two lines of
Vanek - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Cally

That would look real nice.
i'd love to get a winger like vanek

Old
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd like to see a #1, right-handed d-man.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Ke11y96

I agree that Richards probably beats almost any winger we coul essentially trade for. I just think with the impossible movement of Drury we are better off having in two years our 4 centers being Stepan, Anisimov, Werek, Boyle. Then have strong wing sets through all four lines.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
I agree that Richards probably beats almost any winger we coul essentially trade for. I just think with the impossible movement of Drury we are better off having in two years our 4 centers being Stepan, Anisimov, Werek, Boyle. Then have strong wing sets through all four lines.
Drury can hit the wing if he has too. Take faceoffs even still.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Get a top flight LW. We have great center depth down the middle in terms of players under 22, with the likes of Anisimov, Stepan, Horak, Werek, and Boyle. Down the left side, we have Kreider and Dubinsky. No real star power.
I'm leaning towards a LWer as well. However, I think Dubinsky is making a case for star power, at least his production is demonstrating that. And Kreider has all the makings to be one in the NHL as well, just needs to show it. I said a couple weeks ago that this could be the year Dubinsky gets over the hump and becomes a top player in this league.

But I agree down the middle we have the depth with some quality young players. I think Stepan is getting better with each game. I really think he has looked good with Gaborik. He looks confident with him. His ice time is increasing and he is handling it well. Anisimov has just been stellar this year. Even when he is not scoring, he is play good on both sides of the puck. He is showing signs of a true No. 2 center. And the prospects have continued to impress.

I'd rather go with a pure sniper on the LW

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
he won't be free till he's 25. by that point richards contract will be expired if we signed him

He signed a 3 year entry deal right? He was 18 -19. He should be an RFA next summer. So yea if he waits it out thats 2 more seasons with the Isles but than he's free. He would be 23.... seasoned in the NHL and still wicked talented.

I 'm sure Brad Richards thinks he's got another long term deal coming his way. He's a UFA this summer. He's 30.

I'm just using JT as an example. I'm all for Richards on a shorter deal. But what if the market says 5 - 6 years for Brad this summer. You have to be careful.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Ke11y96

Anybody have other idea's for targeted leftwingers?

Vanek, Semin, Booth, Penner, Hemsky (rw, but shift gabby to left)

Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd like to see a #1, right-handed d-man.
Sign Brent Burns on July 1st 2012.

Please.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Sign Brent Burns on July 1st 2012.

Please.
I second that. Staal-Burns? Ridiculous.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's unbelievable that this is even up for debate. This is as easy and one-sided an argument as you'll ever see. This team needs a player that can create offense for himself and others, a player that allows the team to control the play whenever he's out on the ice. That's not a description that many wingers fit. There's a reason the forwards with the most skill and highest hockey sense tend to be centers. They fill the most important position on the ice.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote