HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Top Flight Center vs Another Winger?

Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
I don't see how we could afford Richards unless Roszival is included in the trade. If the move makes sense cap wise I'd say go for it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Anybody have other idea's for targeted leftwingers?

Vanek, Semin, Booth, Penner, Hemsky (rw, but shift gabby to left)
Oh I have always loved Vanek... I would love to have him. He's currently on pace for about 30 goals in 82 games. I know we could toss that extra second round pick Buffalo's way? I'm not sure what exactly Buffalo would want, I don't really watch them. I would think Buffalo wouldn't want to trade him though, but they're having a pretty terrible season so who knows.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's unbelievable that this is even up for debate. This is as easy and one-sided an argument as you'll ever see. This team needs a player that can create offense for himself and others, a player that allows the team to control the play whenever he's out on the ice. That's not a description that many wingers fit. There's a reason the forwards with the most skill and highest hockey sense tend to be centers. They fill the most important position on the ice.
I get that and the reason there is a debate is because we currently have two in the system growing into the position. Stepan and Anisimov will be easily affordable for years to come. I definitely see your point though about getting a guy like Richards, believe me I'm very torn over either decision.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Anybody have other idea's for targeted leftwingers?

Vanek

11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Oh I have always loved Vanek... I would love to have him. He's currently on pace for about 30 goals in 82 games. I know we could toss that extra second round pick Buffalo's way? I'm not sure what exactly Buffalo would want, I don't really watch them. I would think Buffalo wouldn't want to trade him though, but they're having a pretty terrible season so who knows.
Vanek gets paid 7.3 MILLION DOLLARS per year until 2015....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
asparkoflife

I really don't understand the Brad Richards infatuation. 3 seasons in which he's missed 20+ games. He'll be 31 next year and want a big contract with term. Do we really want a 35, 36, or 37 year old Brad Richards making 5-7 Million dollars? I sure don't This would be a short sighted move if I've ever seen one. Drury/Gomez part 2.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He signed a 3 year entry deal right? He was 18 -19. He should be an RFA next summer. So yea if he waits it out thats 2 more seasons with the Isles but than he's free. He would be 23.... seasoned in the NHL and still wicked talented.

I 'm sure Brad Richards thinks he's got another long term deal coming his way. He's a UFA this summer. He's 30.

I'm just using JT as an example. I'm all for Richards on a shorter deal. But what if the market says 5 - 6 years for Brad this summer. You have to be careful.
unless i'm missing something, a player can become a UFA at age 27 or after 7 seasons, tavares started at 18 so the earlier he can become a UFA is 25. At 23 he'd still be a RFA and the isles would be able to match unless its a severe overpayment and you'd lose picks...so we could sign brad for 5-6 years and still not overlap that and i'm thinking sather won't go longer than that anyway for the kind of $$ he'll want.

and i get your point and its a very valid point. just cause a guy is available and might be the best player available at the moment that doesn't mean he's the right guy, thats how we ended up paying drury and gomez $7 mil/year...but on the flipside to that, there is no guarantee those future guys will ever become available. how many countless guys have we seen set to become free agents get locked up before that (several for 10-15 years)? so there is also risk in passing on the guy today for the guy you HOPE is available later

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
I really don't understand the Brad Richards infatuation. 3 seasons in which he's missed 20+ games. He'll be 31 next year and want a big contract with term. Do we really want a 35, 36, or 37 year old Brad Richards making 5-7 Million dollars? I sure don't This would be a short sighted move if I've ever seen one. Drury/Gomez part 2.
No.... I'd give him a 2 year deal if he's the best option in the summer. Not trading assets for the guy in a contract year.

Are there other C's on the market this summer. What will the going rate be for a #1 C

If I'm Brad Richards I see this is my last solid Pay Day in the NHL. I'm looking for 5+ years and 5-6 million per season

Old
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Vanek gets paid 7.3 MILLION DOLLARS per year until 2015....
Which is the length of Gaboriks deal, and its just under 7.2 and the only reason this could be a smart move is because if there is chemistry there you have you top 4 wingers set for the next 4 years.

Vanek - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Vanek would be 30 at the end of his deal vs Richards for example who would be 34-35.

All i'm saying is consistency within the lineup especially with your top end players is important. All the great players have all said they like knowing with who they're playing with game in game out so they can read off each other. It's one thing to mix them up during a game for a spark but usually all-stars like knowing linemates game in, game out. Look at San Jose's top line, Ottawa when it was a dominant top line, Detroit Zetterberg, Datsyuk, holmstrom, Chicago, ect...

Old
11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
unless i'm missing something, a player can become a UFA at age 27 or after 7 seasons, tavares started at 18 so the earlier he can become a UFA is 25. At 23 he'd still be a RFA and the isles would be able to match unless its a severe overpayment and you'd lose picks...so we could sign brad for 5-6 years and still not overlap that and i'm thinking sather won't go longer than that anyway for the kind of $$ he'll want.

and i get your point and its a very valid point. just cause a guy is available and might be the best player available at the moment that doesn't mean he's the right guy, thats how we ended up paying drury and gomez $7 mil/year...but on the flipside to that, there is no guarantee those future guys will ever become available. how many countless guys have we seen set to become free agents get locked up before that (several for 10-15 years)? so there is also risk in passing on the guy today for the guy you HOPE is available later
RFA can refuse the deal right? I think they are speculating he's being a good Islander but given the option he would leave sooner rather than later...

Old
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
NYR Viper

Vanek has injury concerns. I would say pass.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Which is the length of Gaboriks deal, and its just under 7.2 and the only reason this could be a smart move is because if there is chemistry there you have you top 4 wingers set for the next 4 years.

Vanek - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Vanek would be 30 at the end of his deal vs Richards for example who would be 34-35.
What chemistry? Like the chemistry with Jagr and Gomez and Drury? Yikes!!

I know he's really talented but he's too expensive and way to risky chemistry wise. I dont think he'd fit this teams current mojo at all....

Old
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
What chemistry? Like the chemistry with Jagr and Gomez and Drury? Yikes!!

I know he's really talented but he's too expensive and way to risky chemistry wise. I dont think he'd fit this teams current mojo at all....
Good point, just figured Lindy Ruff is similar to Torts in that both really want forechecking, speed, quick transition, and that if Vanek didn't have to play go-to-guy..but obviously more talented then frolov or prospal, there could be something special there..But at the same point if thinking its risky for chemistry with Vanek, it essentially could be just as risky with getting Richards..(probably not but still same argument applies.)

Old
11-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
I really don't understand the Brad Richards infatuation. 3 seasons in which he's missed 20+ games.
he broke his wrist and then returned and broke his hand, 2 fluke injures that he missed 25 games. but i hope you aren't trying to imply that he's an injury prone player about to breakdown cause thats not true at all...

here is the breakdown of games played per season

Year GP
2009-10 80
2008-09 56
2007-08 74
2006-07 82
2005-06 82
2003-04 82
2002-03 80
2001-02 82
2000-01 82

so in his 10th season in the league he has missed a grand total of 38 games, 25 of them when he broke his hand/wrist. so outside of that fluke break, he has missed only 13 games in 10 seasons.

and if you are worried about the backend of the deal thats why you don't give ANYONE a NMC

Old
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
NYR Viper

This is too broad of a statement IMO. Who are the wingers available? Are we talking Ryan Smyth or Phil Kessel type wingers?

Old
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
RFA can refuse the deal right? I think they are speculating he's being a good Islander but given the option he would leave sooner rather than later...
oh i'm sure he would rather get out sooner than later and who can blame him given the mess there...but i'm not sure the rules give him a way out barring a trade. if the isles give him a qualifying offer then they can match and he can't refuse that match. if he signs an offer sheet and the isles match he's an isle if he wants to play in the nhl

Old
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed. The Rangers organization has to be patient here. I would guess they expect to contend in 4-5 years, and by that time, Richards will be 34-35. Does anyone really expect him to put up 90 points at that age? It's a risk not worth taking. We'll be fine. We have great depth at center in the organization.

11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
This is too broad of a statement IMO. Who are the wingers available? Are we talking Ryan Smyth or Phil Kessel type wingers?
i think it was meant in the hypothetical, if your 'ideal' #1 center and your 'ideal' #1 winger were both available which would you want more

Old
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i think it was meant in the hypothetical, if your 'ideal' #1 center and your 'ideal' #1 winger were both available which would you want more
Yeah pretty much I'm just saying with the emergence of Stepan and Anisimov as a 1-2, would you still want greater center depth with i.e Richards, or go for a Top flight lwing..I mean obviously were not talking Ovechkin or Zetterberg here but just some of the usual spurted names that we've all read about.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
NYR Viper

Well then lets say it was Heatley or Richards(hypothetically). I would say Heatley.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Get another top winger during the off season and get rid of Frolov. Stepan and Anisimov are our top 2 centers and we do not need to get a "Top Flight Center" because we have 2 budding stars at that position.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
He signed a 3 year entry deal right? He was 18 -19. He should be an RFA next summer. So yea if he waits it out thats 2 more seasons with the Isles but than he's free. He would be 23.... seasoned in the NHL and still wicked talented.

I 'm sure Brad Richards thinks he's got another long term deal coming his way. He's a UFA this summer. He's 30.

I'm just using JT as an example. I'm all for Richards on a shorter deal. But what if the market says 5 - 6 years for Brad this summer. You have to be careful.
Theoretically he could refuse to sign with the Islanders and then tender an offer sheet from another team, which is a very real possibility. If Staal wanted to get an offer sheet, he could have gotten on from 20+ clubs, for sure.

EDIT: Forgot about matching. Silly me.

Last edited by BrandNewDream: 11-23-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
ecemleafs

im pretty sure richards has said he wants a 5-6 year contract

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Get a top flight LW. We have great center depth down the middle in terms of players under 22, with the likes of Anisimov, Stepan, Horak, Werek, and Boyle. Down the left side, we have Kreider and Dubinsky. No real star power.
Horak plays primarily LW now. I'd also imagine there's a good chance Werek is switched off center and to a wing when he turns pro.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Horak plays primarily LW now. I'd also imagine there's a good chance Werek is switched off center and to a wing when he turns pro.
Really? Nice, I see Horak getting more of a chance here on the LW.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote