HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
  #1
wilfred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Bunswick
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
Defense

It has only been 2 periods but I really like Kuba/Gonchar. I would like to see them together for a few games, Karlsson/Phillips would be a good to watch as well. I have never been a fan of Karlsson/Kuba and Phillips/Gonchar have not been too hot either.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
  #2
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,176
vCash: 500
Yes, that's what needs to be done

Kuba-Gonchar
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Hale

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
  #3
Sensored
Registered User
 
Sensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Yes, that's what needs to be done

Kuba-Gonchar
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Hale
After tonight i find myself wanting Carkner to sit for Hale.

Sensored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:06 AM
  #4
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 50
Id like to try..

Gonchar - Kuba
Phillips - Campoli
Hale - Karlsson
Carkner







Lee

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:40 AM
  #5
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
cant take the truth or what? its funny how when im right you wont keep it up...this site is a ****ing joke and when a couple people come on here that actually know something you dont keep it


As much as you thought your last thread was a real winner, no one wants to read a poorly written self-aggrandizing rant that confuses conventional wisdom as your own singular stunning insight. Create a blog if you think you have an audience.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
  #6
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
I really think Phillips needs a wake up call the guy was absolutely brutal again last night. If he doesnt improve his play by the time Karlsson gets back I think he needs some time on the third pairing.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
  #7
Skrymir
Registered User
 
Skrymir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
cant take the truth or what? its funny how when im right you wont keep it up...this site is a ****ing joke and when a couple people come on here that actually know something you dont keep it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post


As much as you thought your last thread was a real winner, no one wants to read a poorly written self-aggrandizing rant that confuses conventional wisdom as your own singular stunning insight. Create a blog if you think you have an audience.
Whoa... settle down boys.

What happened? did I miss something?

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
  #8
Skrymir
Registered User
 
Skrymir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I really think Phillips needs a wake up call the guy was absolutely brutal again last night. If he doesnt improve his play by the time Karlsson gets back I think he needs some time on the third pairing.
I've actually started thinking that if he doesn't improve we should sit him for Hale.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
  #9
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson's "flu" lasts another game or so, and the pairs remain the same for next game.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
  #10
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
thats what i say....him or carkner ..carkner looked like he didnt want to be there last night and phillips....well hes just being phillips....i might loose mind if we sign him for anything more then 2 and thats pushing it

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
  #11
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir View Post
Whoa... settle down boys.

What happened? did I miss something?
Yeah what is our favorite teenage insider so mad about?


I'm going to go all maverick on you guys with the d combos.

Phillips Carkner
Kuba Gonchar
Karlsson Hale
Campoli sits
Lee goes for career counseling.

There we have one good shutdown pairing, and I like Hale for a partner for Karlsson because he's responsible.

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
  #12
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Yeah what is our favorite teenage insider so mad about?


I'm going to go all maverick on you guys with the d combos.

Phillips Carkner
Kuba Gonchar
Karlsson Hale
Campoli sits
Lee goes for career counseling.

There we have one good shutdown pairing, and I like Hale for a partner for Karlsson because he's responsible.
Geez, I thought Campoli has been playing very well lately.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
  #13
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
If Phillips is signed next year I will be very upset. I think with the future of our D, we do not have any room for him. If we do sign him i can't imagine it will be more the 2 mill a year.

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
  #14
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
If Phillips is signed next year I will be very upset. I think with the future of our D, we do not have any room for him. If we do sign him i can't imagine it will be more the 2 mill a year.
Finally, someone that's on my side for a change.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
  #15
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Actually in the offseason, people were talking about how they wanted to sign him for 3.5 to 4 long term. I was the one saying that we shouldn't and took some heat for it. I wish i wasn't to lazy to go back and find that thread where it all started. SensHero was the only one on my side i believe.

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  #16
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
If Phillips is signed next year I will be very upset. I think with the future of our D, we do not have any room for him. If we do sign him i can't imagine it will be more the 2 mill a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
Actually in the offseason, people were talking about how they wanted to sign him for 3.5 to 4 long term. I was the one saying that we shouldn't and took some heat for it. I wish i wasn't to lazy to go back and find that thread where it all started. SensHero was the only one on my side i believe.
Woah. Grammar and punctuation. Who are you and what have you done with the real backdoorpass?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
  #17
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
see i think its funny when i write with like this....gets people so worked up for no reason

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
  #18
Skrymir
Registered User
 
Skrymir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
Actually in the offseason, people were talking about how they wanted to sign him for 3.5 to 4 long term. I was the one saying that we shouldn't and took some heat for it. I wish i wasn't to lazy to go back and find that thread where it all started. SensHero was the only one on my side i believe.
If we were looking to sign him in the off-season I would've happily signed him for 3.5M long term. Now, not so much, but the season is still young and Phillips typically gets better as the season goes along.

If Phillips starts playing better:

Phillips - Karlsson
Kuba - Gonchar
Hale - Campoli
Carkner

If not, sit him:
Kuba - Kalrsson
Campoli - Gonchar
Hale - Carkner
Phillips

2nd option scares me a whole bunch, but Phillips is not helping us the way he is playing right now.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
  #19
This
That
 
This's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Around.
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
see i think its funny when i write with like this....gets people so worked up for no reason
Isn't trolling against board policy?



But seriously. I think Phillips needs to have a consistent partner in order to get back to form. He played exclusively with Volchenkov for 4 or 5 years.

So far this year he has had 2 or 3 different partners. It seems every time he is starting to come into form, they get shifted again.

Hopefully we work out some consistent pairings, then I think we will see Phillips regain his form.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
  #20
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Phillips will regain his form and we should sign him for $3.5-$4.0 M. The only thing his play should be doing is reducing the commitment we're willing to go with him. For now, he's a consistent vet supposedly going through personal problems and starting the season adapting to new partners. He has earned a lot of rope and isn't anywhere near the end of it. No matter what impatient teenagers think.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
  #21
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Phillips will regain his form and we should sign him for $3.5-$4.0 M. The only thing his play should be doing is reducing the commitment we're willing to go with him. For now, he's a consistent vet supposedly going through personal problems and starting the season adapting to new partners. He has earned a lot of rope and isn't anywhere near the end of it. No matter what impatient teenagers think.
I think 5 years @ 2.6 would be a good deal for both parts. Takes him to 38 y/o at the end of his 5th year.

Of course Phillips will turn things around. Players are not "OLD" at 32 y/o

Only on HF Boards ladies and gentlemen!

It's incredible. I even read a comment somewhere on this board that Phillips is not a 1st pair D-man and NEVER WAS. People are just ignorant about the Sens or just have no memory.

What about the 2007 playoffs? Phillips was also named the best defensive defenseman by some experts (don't remember if it was TSN) like 3 or 4 years ago

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
  #22
Tape2Tape
Registered User
 
Tape2Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Whether or not Phillips turns things around, he is the one who should be having a seat upstairs for a game or 2. He has been consistantly bad this year. Alot of guys have had bad games or bad streaks, but Phillips has been awful from the start. The only good thing about this is it decreases the value of whatever future contract offer we give him, but I'm not even sure we need him going forward. If its a business decision, he won't be re-signed, if its not, he will be a Senator next season.

Sitting down Karlsson is a bad move IMO. For the Kings game, fine, he was coming off of a flu, but get him back in there right away. I think its sending him the wrong message when he is playing better then a few guys, but he is the one who comes out when the team isn't winning.

IMO you can't take Campoli out, he has earned that 5/6 spot, and hasn't played his way out of it. That leaves Carkner, Kuba or Hale who you need to make a decision on. Kuba has been garbage so far, he looks weak, but you gotta put him in games after missing all of that time. So it comes down to Carkner or Hale. Tough call.

Tape2Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:40 PM
  #23
D0C
Registered User
 
D0C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Woah. Grammar and punctuation. Who are you and what have you done with the real backdoorpass?
Ha! Gold.

For once I actually had interest in what he had to say.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
  #24
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher
 
JonnyMacSen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
I'm on the re-sign Phillips side of things, but if he's not resigned before the deadline and Murray has no intentions of signing him we should trade him for sure.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.