HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Defense

Old
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
wilfred

vCash: 500
Defense

It has only been 2 periods but I really like Kuba/Gonchar. I would like to see them together for a few games, Karlsson/Phillips would be a good to watch as well. I have never been a fan of Karlsson/Kuba and Phillips/Gonchar have not been too hot either.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Xspyrit

Yes, that's what needs to be done

Kuba-Gonchar
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Hale

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Sensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Yes, that's what needs to be done

Kuba-Gonchar
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Hale
After tonight i find myself wanting Carkner to sit for Hale.

Sensored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Id like to try..

Gonchar - Kuba
Phillips - Campoli
Hale - Karlsson
Carkner

Lee

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
cant take the truth or what? its funny how when im right you wont keep it up...this site is a ****ing joke and when a couple people come on here that actually know something you dont keep it

As much as you thought your last thread was a real winner, no one wants to read a poorly written self-aggrandizing rant that confuses conventional wisdom as your own singular stunning insight. Create a blog if you think you have an audience.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
bert

I really think Phillips needs a wake up call the guy was absolutely brutal again last night. If he doesnt improve his play by the time Karlsson gets back I think he needs some time on the third pairing.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
cant take the truth or what? its funny how when im right you wont keep it up...this site is a ****ing joke and when a couple people come on here that actually know something you dont keep it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post

As much as you thought your last thread was a real winner, no one wants to read a poorly written self-aggrandizing rant that confuses conventional wisdom as your own singular stunning insight. Create a blog if you think you have an audience.
Whoa... settle down boys.

What happened? did I miss something?

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I really think Phillips needs a wake up call the guy was absolutely brutal again last night. If he doesnt improve his play by the time Karlsson gets back I think he needs some time on the third pairing.
I've actually started thinking that if he doesn't improve we should sit him for Hale.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
lafite

I wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson's "flu" lasts another game or so, and the pairs remain the same for next game.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
backdoorpass

thats what i say....him or carkner ..carkner looked like he didnt want to be there last night and phillips....well hes just being phillips....i might loose mind if we sign him for anything more then 2 and thats pushing it

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir View Post
Whoa... settle down boys.

What happened? did I miss something?
Yeah what is our favorite teenage insider so mad about?

I'm going to go all maverick on you guys with the d combos.

Phillips Carkner
Kuba Gonchar
Karlsson Hale
Campoli sits
Lee goes for career counseling.

There we have one good shutdown pairing, and I like Hale for a partner for Karlsson because he's responsible.

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Yeah what is our favorite teenage insider so mad about?

I'm going to go all maverick on you guys with the d combos.

Phillips Carkner
Kuba Gonchar
Karlsson Hale
Campoli sits
Lee goes for career counseling.

There we have one good shutdown pairing, and I like Hale for a partner for Karlsson because he's responsible.
Geez, I thought Campoli has been playing very well lately.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
backdoorpass

If Phillips is signed next year I will be very upset. I think with the future of our D, we do not have any room for him. If we do sign him i can't imagine it will be more the 2 mill a year.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
If Phillips is signed next year I will be very upset. I think with the future of our D, we do not have any room for him. If we do sign him i can't imagine it will be more the 2 mill a year.
Finally, someone that's on my side for a change.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
backdoorpass

Actually in the offseason, people were talking about how they wanted to sign him for 3.5 to 4 long term. I was the one saying that we shouldn't and took some heat for it. I wish i wasn't to lazy to go back and find that thread where it all started. SensHero was the only one on my side i believe.

Old
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Quote:
Actually in the offseason, people were talking about how they wanted to sign him for 3.5 to 4 long term. I was the one saying that we shouldn't and took some heat for it. I wish i wasn't to lazy to go back and find that thread where it all started. SensHero was the only one on my side i believe.
Woah. Grammar and punctuation. Who are you and what have you done with the real backdoorpass?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
backdoorpass

see i think its funny when i write with like this....gets people so worked up for no reason

Old
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
If we were looking to sign him in the off-season I would've happily signed him for 3.5M long term. Now, not so much, but the season is still young and Phillips typically gets better as the season goes along.

If Phillips starts playing better:

Phillips - Karlsson
Kuba - Gonchar
Hale - Campoli
Carkner

If not, sit him:
Kuba - Kalrsson
Campoli - Gonchar
Hale - Carkner
Phillips

2nd option scares me a whole bunch, but Phillips is not helping us the way he is playing right now.

Old
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
This
That

Quote:
see i think its funny when i write with like this....gets people so worked up for no reason
Isn't trolling against board policy?

But seriously. I think Phillips needs to have a consistent partner in order to get back to form. He played exclusively with Volchenkov for 4 or 5 years.

So far this year he has had 2 or 3 different partners. It seems every time he is starting to come into form, they get shifted again.

Hopefully we work out some consistent pairings, then I think we will see Phillips regain his form.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
trentmccleary

Phillips will regain his form and we should sign him for $3.5-$4.0 M. The only thing his play should be doing is reducing the commitment we're willing to go with him. For now, he's a consistent vet supposedly going through personal problems and starting the season adapting to new partners. He has earned a lot of rope and isn't anywhere near the end of it. No matter what impatient teenagers think.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Phillips will regain his form and we should sign him for $3.5-$4.0 M. The only thing his play should be doing is reducing the commitment we're willing to go with him. For now, he's a consistent vet supposedly going through personal problems and starting the season adapting to new partners. He has earned a lot of rope and isn't anywhere near the end of it. No matter what impatient teenagers think.
I think 5 years @ 2.6 would be a good deal for both parts. Takes him to 38 y/o at the end of his 5th year.

Of course Phillips will turn things around. Players are not "OLD" at 32 y/o

Only on HF Boards ladies and gentlemen!

It's incredible. I even read a comment somewhere on this board that Phillips is not a 1st pair D-man and NEVER WAS. People are just ignorant about the Sens or just have no memory.

What about the 2007 playoffs? Phillips was also named the best defensive defenseman by some experts (don't remember if it was TSN) like 3 or 4 years ago

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Tape2Tape

Whether or not Phillips turns things around, he is the one who should be having a seat upstairs for a game or 2. He has been consistantly bad this year. Alot of guys have had bad games or bad streaks, but Phillips has been awful from the start. The only good thing about this is it decreases the value of whatever future contract offer we give him, but I'm not even sure we need him going forward. If its a business decision, he won't be re-signed, if its not, he will be a Senator next season.

Sitting down Karlsson is a bad move IMO. For the Kings game, fine, he was coming off of a flu, but get him back in there right away. I think its sending him the wrong message when he is playing better then a few guys, but he is the one who comes out when the team isn't winning.

IMO you can't take Campoli out, he has earned that 5/6 spot, and hasn't played his way out of it. That leaves Carkner, Kuba or Hale who you need to make a decision on. Kuba has been garbage so far, he looks weak, but you gotta put him in games after missing all of that time. So it comes down to Carkner or Hale. Tough call.

Tape2Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:40 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Woah. Grammar and punctuation. Who are you and what have you done with the real backdoorpass?
Ha! Gold.

For once I actually had interest in what he had to say.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I'm on the re-sign Phillips side of things, but if he's not resigned before the deadline and Murray has no intentions of signing him we should trade him for sure.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote