HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Top Flight Center vs Another Winger?

Old
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's unbelievable that this is even up for debate. This is as easy and one-sided an argument as you'll ever see. This team needs a player that can create offense for himself and others, a player that allows the team to control the play whenever he's out on the ice. That's not a description that many wingers fit. There's a reason the forwards with the most skill and highest hockey sense tend to be centers. They fill the most important position on the ice.
Give me Richards, and the centers fall in place behind him. If Dubi continues his morph into Gravy 2.0, I put him at LW with Richards and Gaborik. And, I can see Boyle moving to LW, giving the Rangers a superb 3rd line of Boyle/AA/Cally. Stepan is you 2nd line center, so actually, you end up needing 2nd liners, one of which you hope is Kreider, with Thomas a potential 2nd line RW in a few years.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's unbelievable that this is even up for debate. This is as easy and one-sided an argument as you'll ever see. This team needs a player that can create offense for himself and others, a player that allows the team to control the play whenever he's out on the ice. That's not a description that many wingers fit. There's a reason the forwards with the most skill and highest hockey sense tend to be centers. They fill the most important position on the ice.
Ales Hemsky is a winger and fits the bill. There are many other wingers in the league who can do what you describe. Yes, normally it's something you would see from a centermen.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Werek is solid on faceoffs. No reason to switch him to wing. His skating may be suspect for now, but it can, and probably will improve. He has the potential to be what Jordan Staal is to the Penguins. 20-20-40 guy, providing solid two way gritty play.

And, not sure how many times the facts need to be presented, we are not getting any elit UFAs nore are are trading valuable young assets for one, either. It won't work financially. Drury is not getting bought out, he's not waiving his no trade clause, either. He grew up a Rangers fan, this where he wants to be. And while he has the ability to control where he goes, he's nit going anywhere.

Dallas is not trading their current franchise player for Rozsival and Gilroy. Not happening. And we are not trading what it WOULD take to get him for a couple months rental.

This team, being carried by its youth, is currently in second place in the division, and only 5 points behind Philly.

There's even more solid youth on its way.

Kreider will be on this team next year. Werek has a strong chance. As does one of Kundratek, McDonagh, or Valentenko. And possibly Hagelin, who most likely needs a year in the AHL.

No one is taking Avery or Boogaard, either. And in order to get Richards fit under the cap, they'd have to be moved, too.

Rangers top priorities are its own. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, Del Zotto. All need to be retained.

TEAM is more important then individual. They are building a team. Acquiring another big contract name is not in the best interest of the Rangers at this point in the process.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd take another defenseman.
I've been saying this for a while. What do people complain most about? Our defense. What do they want to improve? Center.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I've been saying this for a while. What do people complain most about? Our defense. What do they want to improve? Center.
I agree but where's the help going to come from? There's only a few open spots...

Staal - XXXXX
Del Zotto - Girardi
XXXXX - Sauer

Realistically it'll be a puzzle game trying to figure which particular player plays best along Sauer until one of McD or Valentenko are ready. Rozsival fits the bill for now up front and on the right side.
The only two top pairing right handed dmen that I would even make a package for would be Mike Green or Shea Weber, and outta those two the only one who might be available would be Green if he plays like crap in the playoffs this year.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:09 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rozsival, Eminger

Kundratek, McIlrath, McDonagh, Valentenko

We don't really need another high priced defenseman, either.

The beauty of drafting well(and in McD & Vtank case trade well) is that you don't need to delve into high priced, long term free agency to fill needs.

Steve Eminger has also been a pleasant surprise as of late.

And we still have Rozsival through the end of next season.

The last thing the Rangers need to do is trade away youth and draft picks, and/or sign any high priced long term free agents.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And Sauer is definitely a part of the core. Kid is just solid all around.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:24 PM
XLJ

I see two needs for this team. IMO they need to add a playmaking center. And they need a right handed offensive minded defensemen that has a big time shot.

I think they are fine at wings. If they add a playmaker down the middle along with Stepan it should help the wingers score some more goals.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I see two needs for this team. IMO they need to add a playmaking center. And they need a right handed offensive minded defensemen that has a big time shot.

I think they are fine at wings. If they add a playmaker down the middle along with Stepan it should help the wingers score some more goals.
I agree 100% the only problem is Drury imo. If he's not part of the Richards deal which lets just face it he wouldn't be, there's a logjam especially when Prospal is due back in a few weeks. I'd love for our centers down the middle to be Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle.

I mentioned it in another thread and looking at how big Byfuglien is playing in ATL we missed a guy with a right shot which is a bomb from the point, 6'5", mean, great skater...
Wisniewski has a good shot, mean, but idk if its just he plays on the Island that makes his +/- just awful, or his actual play.
The other two I'd love to see but would cost a Kings Ransom are Brent Burns, and Mike Green.

The only players currently on this roster that I think the NYR brass consider trade bait are as follows: Frolov, Drury*, Grachev, Christensen, White, Eminger, Rozsival, and Gilroy. Not exactly game breakers but more less throw ins and fill ins.

With no injuries and not making a trade, and not inserting the aforementioned names above what I think we have looks like this...

XXXX - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury* - Fedotenko
Avery/Boogie - Boyle - Prust

Staal - XXXX
Del Zotto - Girardi
XXXX - Sauer

I mean realistically a key winger to complete what is starting to form a first line, would be ideal, but throwing B.Richards into that mix makes some sense too by putting prospal on first line, drury to lw, and steps as 3rd line center, but its all a giant cluster of who the Rangers can get their hands on. It's just to me and I'm sure everyone on the boards here that we are missing that one more piece in the top six, and thats why I think its a bit of a torn decision. Is it a top 5 center in Richards, or would a top playmaking winger like say Hemsky on the right and gaborik on the left, with Stepan in the middle be something? Its a bit of a merry go round with what to do.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:13 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
All the talk of Brad Richards sounds great for this team, but Derek Stepan has started to find his game and a 4-game point streak. I guess I'm just curious as what does everyone think are we better off demoting Stepan to thirdline and go after Richards in the upcoming months or even off-season. Or do we use some of the packages being proposed for Richards to go get a top flight leftwing, and let Stepan continue to build into that #1 Center.

I know the outlook on the cap for us is bleak but I think no matter what moves were made ya know Glen and the Boys would make it all fit somehow. This is what I think are the road blocks more so going forward..

- Drury, it's either buyout or nothing because his family and friends live in Connecticut, and he wouldn't waive his nmc for anything imo.

Once everyone his healthy that is currently on this team it probably would look like this..

Frolov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky- Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Fedotenko
Avery/Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

scratch = Christensen, White.

With Prospal & Frolov both UFA's at years end, there room on the left side. We have three prospects at this point that conceivably could crack in those spots (Kreider, Zuccarello & Grachev)

So looking at that is it better by trade deadline to acquire a high end leftwinger? or do we drop Stepan down to 3rd line? Of course if Stepan is dropped to 3rd line we'll have quite the cluster of forwards in our 3rd and 4th lines.

Some names obviously being tossed around for trade so far this year are Richards, Semin, Penner, Hemsky... So I see the perk to both a Center and A top flight Winger, What do you guys think?
IDK, but that first line is mia right now. Whoever the Rangers can pickup to get Gaborik and Frolov to score goals would be nice. Either a winger or center, I don't think it matters. Being Stepan doesn't look like the problem (imo, and after all, it's is first season) maybe both wingers who were brought in too put up the bulk # of points need to look in the mirror. St.Louis and Stamkos seriously made them look like scrubs. The only player to score out of the 3 was Stepan. I thought it was embarrassing. Hopefully they feel the same way at this point. Stepan should not have more points than both Gaborik and Frolov respectively. I have to cut Gabby slack because he's missed a bunch of games but not every team is going to play like the Oilers for him.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd take another defenseman.
This team's biggest needs going forward will be a #1 center and a #1-3 d-man.

Having a legit #1 d-man (allowing Staal to be probably the best #2 man in the league and Girardi to be one of the best 2nd pairing d-men in the league) would do wonders for this team's transition / neutral zone game and their game overall. I think this makes us better than a #1 center like Richards does. With that said, I think it's highly unlikely one of these becomes available any time soon, so I think the next best thing we could do is to improve our team by adding Brad Richards, a guy who seamlessly fits into the identity that we're trying to establish. Whether we get 70 points or 90 points out of him, he's a guy I want on the ice in the last minute of a tied game in the playoffs.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik actually makes me drool. I think this line would be incredible together. Dubinsky can do a little of everything, and Richards and Gaborik should be able to work the give-and-go to perfection. I like Dubinsky on this line rather than Frolov or Prospal or anyone else because not only is he a great puck protector, and showing this season that he can make creative plays offensively out of nothing, but he's one of our hardest WORKERS and will stand up for Gabby or Richards if they're getting abused. This just seems like a match made in heaven to me. I really think we need to do everything we can (within reason) to get this guy here.

Rozsival, McDonagh, Grachev, 2nd (changes to a 1st if he re-signs with us) could get it done in a few months. I'm worried that if he gets traded to a contender at the deadline (although most "contenders" cannot afford him without sending back a lot of salary) that they'll not want to let him hit UFA and overwhelm him before July 1st. Then again, a lot of things can happen between now and then to change this whole situation. I guess we'll wait and see. But I'm totally FOR giving up SOME assets to get the guy here before July 1st and then I see us having a great chance to re-sign him if we're the only ones with negotiating rights before July 1. He won a Conn Smythe and Cup under Torts. With Richards, we CAN compete with the best teams in the East. And I really don't think it's going to be as much of a problem as some of you think it is to replace Rozy's minutes. I'm a big Rozy fan and I appreciate what he brings more than most Rangers fans actually. But you spread the wealth among the others and finding a cheaper veteran d-man who can play 15-20 minutes is not going to be as hard as it is to find another Brad Richards in the next few years.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Werek is solid on faceoffs. No reason to switch him to wing. His skating may be suspect for now, but it can, and probably will improve. He has the potential to be what Jordan Staal is to the Penguins. 20-20-40 guy, providing solid two way gritty play.

And, not sure how many times the facts need to be presented, we are not getting any elit UFAs nore are are trading valuable young assets for one, either. It won't work financially. Drury is not getting bought out, he's not waiving his no trade clause, either. He grew up a Rangers fan, this where he wants to be. And while he has the ability to control where he goes, he's nit going anywhere.

Dallas is not trading their current franchise player for Rozsival and Gilroy. Not happening. And we are not trading what it WOULD take to get him for a couple months rental.

This team, being carried by its youth, is currently in second place in the division, and only 5 points behind Philly.

There's even more solid youth on its way.

Kreider will be on this team next year. Werek has a strong chance. As does one of Kundratek, McDonagh, or Valentenko. And possibly Hagelin, who most likely needs a year in the AHL.

No one is taking Avery or Boogaard, either. And in order to get Richards fit under the cap, they'd have to be moved, too.

Rangers top priorities are its own. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, Del Zotto. All need to be retained.

TEAM is more important then individual. They are building a team. Acquiring another big contract name is not in the best interest of the Rangers at this point in the process.
I love your "facts." What are next week's lotto numbers? PM please. Thanks in advance.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote