HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Surprise Surprise...

Old
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Knowing how many shots Danny blocks makes this stat even more impressive--he hasn't missed a single game in four years.
Until tomorrow.

11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Hahaha yeah, my bad guys.

Also, DrurysWeekend, your signature makes me smile.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:

Me too dude! Apparently though, some people think it's offensive and I'm endangering Avery's life by having it in my sig.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
NYR ribbet

I believe Callahan was credited with 11 hits last night alone.

NYR ribbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Claxton

Quote:

Username too for that matter. Nice little inside joke for NYR fans.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
After some rocky patches last season, Girardi has been not just the Rangers' best defenseman through 22 games this season, he's among the top 15 defensemen in the league.

How else to judge a player who leads the NHL in blocked shots (68) and is among the top 15 defensemen (and tops among Rangers defensemen) in ice time, hits and points?

"I'm getting a lot of ice time in a lot of different situations," Girardi said after the Rangers held a brief practice at the St. Pete Times Forum here in preparation for tonight's game with the Lightning. "Some power play time, killing penalties. It definitely helps to be out there no matter the situation."
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...600&nopaging=1

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
Username too for that matter. Nice little inside joke for NYR fans.
Yeah, I didn't really read the name change rules before doing that, but I guess I can live with this for half a year.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
MillerTime2181

Question for fans I haven't seen a lot of Rangers games this year but I hear they are blocking a ton of shots and have gritty play this season. Is it true? And if so what is the reasoning behind this? Is Tortorella employing more of a defensively-responsible system this year or are players taking the initiative to be more active in that aspect of the game? Either way it's a good thing to see from a team.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Question for fans I haven't seen a lot of Rangers games this year but I hear they are blocking a ton of shots and have gritty play this season. Is it true? And if so what is the reasoning behind this? Is Tortorella employing more of a defensively-responsible system this year or are players taking the initiative to be more active in that aspect of the game? Either way it's a good thing to see from a team.
It's definitely true, and for both reasons that you mentioned. They make sure to finish absolutely every check, and always sacrifice their bodies to block shots. Torts stresses hard forechecking and physicality, so it's certainly due in part to his coaching philosophy. At the same time, with guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Avery, Prust et al, you're gonna see a ton of hits and gritty play anyway.

Torts has the whole team buying into it, which is great. While I'm sure he'd love another offensively gifted forward or two, the personnel we currently have is a pretty good fit for what Torts asks his players to do.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Black Tank

One of the interesting things about Callahan this year is that he's gotten much better at his hitting. For example, last year every time he hit a much bigger player like Chara, he usually ended up leaving the shift hurt or bent over. In last week's game he hit Chara numerous times without getting the worst of it so his technique is much better this year.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Pay no attention to the fact that the Rangers statistician is, shall we say, enthusiastic. This does not take away from the games being played by Callahan and Girardi, but the stats are a tad ridiculous and have been for a while.

If the league is now in charge of these stats, I take back what I have just written, but I don't know that to be the case.
This.

I dont know how many threads pop up about realtime stats, they just aren't consistent enough around the league for me to put a ton of stock into them.

Last year the Rangers were credited with almost 1000 more hits than the Buffalo Sabres.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:01 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This.

I dont know how many threads pop up about realtime stats, they just aren't consistent enough around the league for me to put a ton of stock into them.

Last year the Rangers were credited with almost 1000 more hits than the Buffalo Sabres.

This is it, 100%. I don't recall where I read it unfortunately, but certain arenas are known to be much more generous with their "subjective" totals, like hits and shots. MSG is one of them.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
This is it, 100%. I don't recall where I read it unfortunately, but certain arenas are known to be much more generous with their "subjective" totals, like hits and shots. MSG is one of them.
If you go over to NHL.com and go to the team stats>realtime and cycle through the years it becomes increasingly evident that certain arenas are very generous in recording these stats compared to other teams that arent. I've said it for years, the NHL has to get these guys all on the same page, there cant be THAT much of a deviation between the two - there has to be some sort of mediated standard and if there is one currently, they are doing a terrible job of upholding it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote