HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Chicago Wolves' Announcers

Old
11-23-2010, 08:41 PM
barnabyrules

vCash: 500
Chicago Wolves' Announcers

For those in the Chicago area, has anyone else been watching these Chicago Wolves games that are being broadcast on My50? The announcers are hilarious and the two biggest homers I've ever heard. It's about 10 minutes into the current game and they've already been outraged and gone on rants about the officiating at least 3 times.

barnabyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:54 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyrules View Post
For those in the Chicago area, has anyone else been watching these Chicago Wolves games that are being broadcast on My50? The announcers are hilarious and the two biggest homers I've ever heard. It's about 10 minutes into the current game and they've already been outraged and gone on rants about the officiating at least 3 times.
Gee.....here's a shocking revelation.....Home team announcers being homers. When will the indignities end.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
For those in the Chicago area, has anyone else been watching these Chicago Wolves games that are being broadcast on My50?
Yes, I have. Not a lot of other teams can watch their games on TV. Certainly not to the same degree as the Wolves.

Quote:
The announcers are hilarious and the two biggest homers I've ever heard. It's about 10 minutes into the current game and they've already been outraged and gone on rants about the officiating at least 3 times.
Hmmmm, and this is the first time you have experienced this phenomenon? Most home team announcers advocate for their team. If they didn't why would fans of that team want to watch it? The only time you get 'neutral' announcers is for national sporting telecasts. Clearly, you aren't going to get any of those for the AHL.

11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Yes, I have. Not a lot of other teams can watch their games on TV. Certainly not to the same degree as the Wolves.

Hmmmm, and this is the first time you have experienced this phenomenon? Most home team announcers advocate for their team. If they didn't why would fans of that team want to watch it? The only time you get 'neutral' announcers is for national sporting telecasts. Clearly, you aren't going to get any of those for the AHL.
I have been watching and yes, they are homers. I will say that when the Wolves were melting on their 7 game road losing disaster, Billy Gardener was taking them to task now and then. The play by play guy kept his trap shut being the "good company man" that he is. Jason Shaver I think his name is. He is a "company spokesman". However, I have heard worse homers though than these two.

In town just listen to Hawk Harrelson do the Sox games. I like the Sox but he is horrible. The team farts and he smells roses. Just unlistenable.

Majik--I will say that true fans would still watch even if the home team announcers played it straight like the national guys do. We watch our teams when they are on nationally and are not the worse for it.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWolves1 View Post
Majik--I will say that true fans would still watch even if the home team announcers played it straight like the national guys do. We watch our teams when they are on nationally and are not the worse for it.
But they wouldn't enjoy it as much. You can rip on Harrelson, but lots of fans like the fact that he speaks for them (me included). Opposing fans might not like it, but tough crap. Let them watch their own feed (if it exists).

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
But they wouldn't enjoy it as much. You can rip on Harrelson, but lots of fans like the fact that he speaks for them (me included). Opposing fans might not like it, but tough crap. Let them watch their own feed (if it exists).
I agree that many fans would not enjoy it that much. What I (and I know several other Sox fans that also cannot stand Harrelson), is that he simply says things that are not true. I am watching the Sox get destroyed at times, and the Sox never do anythig wrong in his world. Like the poster said about the Wolves, it is always someone else's fault. The umpires/refs, this, that. Everything but the stinking play of the team that they root...I mean, promote...I mean..."analyze".

Just tell the truth as an announceer. You do not have to dump completely on your own team. I understand how it works. However, do not have 80% of your play-by-play be how each player is the best he has ever seen at this and that. It is a slightly above-average team and he talks like they are defending WS champs. This combined with his garbage cliche sayings--thinking he is the most clever announcer in the world. I cannot stand it.

Now that I think about it, he makes the Wolves announcers sound great.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Tommy Hawk

Please, axe and majik and i can tell you there have been plenty of time Billy Gardner has ripped on the Wolves players for things like lack of effort and preparedness.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

At least you don't have the Hamilton Bulldogs announcer, I mean he does decent enough play by play but it seems that in virtually every game he falls into the same trap of questioning the officials calls.

We all know the AHL officiating has reached an all time low, but I don't need to be reminded 5 times a period.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I've noticed a lot of play-by-play guys in the AHL are like that. Some are at least decent at the craft, but others are just totally unprofessional.

It always irritates me, as a PBP guy aspiring to gigs in minor pro sports after college, to see broadcasters act like glorified fans. It's perfectly fine to have a little bias (because people tune in to hear the home broadcast), but getting huffy and berating the officials on the air is, IMO, completely unacceptable.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote