HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.COM Trophy Tracker

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
  #1
Beastieboy
Registered User
 
Beastieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
NHL.COM Trophy Tracker

Anyone happen to review the NHL.com picks after a quarter of the season? They pick Bobrovsky for Calder... Giroux as runner-up for the Selke... and Holmgren as GM of the year. Based on what I read around here, I am guessing there would be some opposition to that last choice. I doubted the wisdom of a few of his off-season moves but most of them look good right now (especially Bob, Mez and ODonnell).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544390

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
  #2
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Giroux can't play defense!

Selke is a stretch and a half, but I hope some people are eating crow right now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
  #3
Beastieboy
Registered User
 
Beastieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
I was expecting to see Richards in the Selke discussion... pleasantly surprised to see G there. They are a dangerous duo on the PK.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
  #4
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Giroux can't play defense!

Selke is a stretch and a half, but I hope some people are eating crow right now.
I never see a reason to complain about a forward's defense when they're under 25, really. If there's one thing that comes with maturity, D is it.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
  #5
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Homer had a plan....Strengthen the Defense....And I'd say he did it

As for Bob as his property, id say he gave a good contract, but the scout who found him should deserve some credit as well.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:49 AM
  #6
rixXx
Registered User
 
rixXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Manny Malholtra leading the Selke pack. I still remember two summers ago when people on the Flyers board said they wanted nothing to do with him because of his laziness. Still glad to see G up there and Bob's leading the Calder.

rixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:00 AM
  #7
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Lol, Imagine what the main board's reaction would be if they saw the title article.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM
  #8
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Anyone happen to review the NHL.com picks after a quarter of the season? They pick Bobrovsky for Calder... Giroux as runner-up for the Selke... and Holmgren as GM of the year. Based on what I read around here, I am guessing there would be some opposition to that last choice. I doubted the wisdom of a few of his off-season moves but most of them look good right now (especially Bob, Mez and ODonnell).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544390
They have John-Michael Liles as the Norris runner-up. Enough said for credibility.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:08 AM
  #9
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Giroux can't play defense!

Selke is a stretch and a half, but I hope some people are eating crow right now.
O'Donnell is the 5th best D in hockey right now as far as the puck ending up in the net behind him at even strength.

Mike Richards, by a significant margin, is the worst defensive forward on this team to this point in the season. 2.83 GAON/60... next closes is Carcillo at 2.68. Matt Carle has been absolutely shredded to a 2.98 clip.

Who comest in after Carcillo for 4th worst GAON/60 on the team? Claude Giroux, at 2.65.

His primary linemates:

Powe: 2.14 GAON/60
Carter: 1.93 GAON/60

As ever SHG stats count for a lot more than they should.

Lets try not to be premature due to the popsicle sucking.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
  #10
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I never see a reason to complain about a forward's defense when they're under 25, really. If there's one thing that comes with maturity, D is it.
This doesn't make much sense... just because you expect a guy to improve, doesn't mean you can't complain about what he's doing in the moment. His first couple of years in the league, Carter was DREADFUL defensively at even strength.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
  #11
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He is getting selke talk because of SHGs not because of defensive play, relax Chris

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:13 AM
  #12
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
He is getting selke talk because of SHGs not because of defensive play, relax Chris
You're saying that just because the Flyers are almost a full goal a game better defensively when Giroux is sitting on the bench.

The shocking thing to this point is how badly Richards has been shredded.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:17 AM
  #13
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're saying that just because the Flyers are almost a full goal a game better defensively when Giroux is sitting on the bench.

The shocking thing to this point is how badly Richards has been shredded.
Yeah find that weird too. What is Nodl's GAON? and what was Richards Qualcomp?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:22 AM
  #14
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah find that weird too. What is Nodl's GAON? and what was Richards Qualcomp?
Richards' QUALCOMP is 0.141... which is, by far, the highest on the team. Followed by Powe and Carter (somehow, Giroux is all the way down at 0.007 in QUALCOMP).

Nodl is 1.77 GAON/60, but against 0.012 QUALCOMP, which means he's avoided a lot of Richards' hard shifts (somehow).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
  #15
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This doesn't make much sense... just because you expect a guy to improve, doesn't mean you can't complain about what he's doing in the moment. His first couple of years in the league, Carter was DREADFUL defensively at even strength.
You can assess weaknesses, fine, but complaining is something I reserve for things I know won't get better (like Zherdev's D or Leighton's rebounds). You just need your coach to understand the weaknesses and play the guys accordingly.

It's not exceptionally early, but even so I think there's a lot of flexibility left in what's going to happen to those stats. JVR has a 1.13 GAON/60 right now (terrible QUALCOMP, but still ludicrous).

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.