HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your favorite stick?

Old
10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Quakmybush

vCash: 500
I was a huge TPS kid, first two piecer was a rubber, ****ing loved those bad boys, moved to Rubber Response, but they stopped making those, so now I'm using a Reebok 7k Crosby blade, and I love it, nothing beats the old TPS rubber stuff though

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
WithOutPaperss

Easton Z-bubble Shaft with a CCM Vector blade - Thornton curve...I had that combo from when I was 9, until I was 11, just kept putting a plug in it....I miss the Z-Bubble Shaft, all the ones I find are always 100 or 110 flex...too much for me.

WithOutPaperss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
t0mf00lery

Reebok 11K, 100 Flex, Datsyuk curve.

Nice stiff flex and I can let loose a very hard wrist shot and I like the stiff flex for receiving passes as well.
I like the Datsyuk curve to keep my shots down.

Last edited by t0mf00lery: 10-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Seanconn*

Sherwood 5030 no question as well.

there's really no need for composite sticks... looking back, i feel bad making my dad buy me a rubber response in bantam. I picked up two 5030's at sportschek, and got the second half off.. $45 for two sticks, that will likely last me a good long time.

although, i always used a giant cuve.. i think the coffee curve might be a bit too curved.. but they were the only ones in stock at my local sports chek.

I always have the vintage 5030 S.O.P. that my dad's friend Yvon Vautour gave to him, from his time playing for the Devils in the 80's... but it has the whole teams signatures on it... and I'd feel horrible if I broke it.. only whip it out for special occasions on the ODR or when im teaching skating to, and have nothing to worry about since im playing with a bunch of little kids.

TITAN NEEDS TO START MAKING STICKS AGAIN. re-release the White and Red Titan Gretzky used in the 90's, or the red white and blue Selanne used ( i still have my jr. Titan Selanne stick, and it looks awesome)

I really think people would buy those sticks over the bauer, and koho , and some sherwood wood sticks you find at sportscheck/ canadian tire, because they look retro, and flipping awesome.

these sticks would be awesome to use on the outdoor rink, where you probably won't want to use a $100+ composite stick. wood sticks now a days other than Sher-wood just look ugly... and i think the companies do this to force you to buy the nicer looking composites. it's stupid.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
there's really no need for composite sticks...
There's no need to play hockey either. But wood sticks have a huge advantage over composites, and we've been through this a million times.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Ozolinsh_27

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
TITAN NEEDS TO START MAKING STICKS AGAIN. re-release the White and Red Titan Gretzky used in the 90's, or the red white and blue Selanne used ( i still have my jr. Titan Selanne stick, and it looks awesome)

I really think people would buy those sticks over the bauer, and koho , and some sherwood wood sticks you find at sportscheck/ canadian tire, because they look retro, and flipping awesome.
Titan was badass for its day, CCM should retro those in a one piece paint job and/or wood sticks (they might still have the licensing since they bought the company that produced Titan).

I was never a fan of wood sticks, my first year of actual organized hockey in 98 I was able to buy a two piece combo and never looked back. I would use one for outdoor shinny though since I have a habit of finding decent jr blade patterns that somehow get discontinued every couple years. (See: Bauer Tverdovsky, Bauer Bure, Nike Lecavalier, and Bauer Jokinen)

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:53 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
Easton Z-bubble Shaft with a CCM Vector blade - Thornton curve...I had that combo from when I was 9, until I was 11, just kept putting a plug in it....I miss the Z-Bubble Shaft, all the ones I find are always 100 or 110 flex...too much for me.
I have two Z-bubbles, 85 flex. Like Pamela Anderson the Thornton curve was just too curvacious for me so switched to a Recchi. That's been my favorite combo so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's no need to play hockey either. But wood sticks have a huge advantage over composites, and we've been through this a million times.
Did you mean to say this the other way around?

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
I love the 08 Bauer One85, I'm 6 ft tall and the extra 2 in length really adds a advantage. It's to bad that they don't make this stick anymore. I also use the Rebellion black line red primeau (Wayne) curve.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, I sure did.

Composites have advantages over wood:
- precise and adjustable flex ratings
- adjustable blade feel
- adjustable flex feel and kickpoint
- stiffer blades and better torsional stiffness (increased accuracy)
- much more durable
- plugs can add length if needed
- lighter in weight

Only advantage wood has is the price, but I'll bet the average beer leaguer would go through 2-3 wood sticks in the same span as a composite.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Delayed Offside

I have been using a TPS stick for a number of years but it's all hacked up now. I just use it for ball hockey.

I picked up a Reebok 4K for $50 the other day. I figured that was a good deal. It's hard to find hockey shops around here. I haven't used it yet. Hopefully next week.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
10k is a great stick, i've had a couple of them. But my latest buy was a pair of 8k's 75flex .

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Bauer Supreme One80 87 flex, p88 pattern (kane, lindros)

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:07 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakmybush View Post
I was a huge TPS kid, first two piecer was a rubber, ****ing loved those bad boys, moved to Rubber Response, but they stopped making those, so now I'm using a Reebok 7k Crosby blade, and I love it, nothing beats the old TPS rubber stuff though
I bought a rubber response back in the day, worst purchase ever. It's probably seen ice maybe 30 minutes at most since I got it. It's just sitting around. I'll sell it to you for cheap if you want it

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Absolutely loving my one95 (have it in a 77 flex Kane curve, grip version), much less "pingy" than other composites I've used but still very light and with a nice snap on wristers. Not cheap at all, but you can get them on sale now that the new bauer sticks are out (one100 and totalone). Only real complaint is that the blade seems fairly susceptible to gouges from skates/other sticks, make sure to tape it up well with a good, thick tape (haven't had problems since using renfrew tape, which is pretty thick, but got some gouges that I repaired with epoxy when I was using 3M tape, which is much thinner). If you have an american address you can ship to they're pretty cheap here:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BS95

And I think there's a code you can enter for an extra 10% off. If you live in Canada, though, you'll likely get hit with duty at the border if you buy off an american site.
Just to update, loved my one95 while it lasted, but ended up breaking it after 2 months or so. Have since switched to an 85 flex Easton ST that I got on sale, so far so good with that stick. A bit heavier than the one95, and definitely a bit more blade heavy, puck feel is OK but not as good as the one95, wristers not quite as good (though could be because the one95 was a 77 flex while the ST doesn't come any flexier than 85 flex), slappers are just as good with the ST as with the one95 though (if not better), and the performance is still quite good, much better than a cheap one piece. If it's as durable as some say it is then I'll consider it a great purchase.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
hitmanjat

My favorite was my CCM U+ Vector, nice and light and loved the grip.
Too bad it broke the other day on a snapshot.

Previous to that I had a Reebok 6k which snapped as well.

After some reading, I've decided to move up on flex, 85 is not cutting it for me being 230lbs with good upper body strength.

My current stick is a Reebok 3.0.3 which is good so far, but again was an 85 flex., going to pickup up a Reebok 8k 100 flex today though, will report back.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
rebellion red line black (primeau) curve with a square toe.

Or

Bauer One 85

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
LangwaysMullet

I miss the Montreal 88hmp's.. favorite stick of all time.

LangwaysMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Brizz5

I have a Bauer Vapor X:20 and I really, really like it. For a lower end stick, it is very nice. It has good response and kick, and while it is on the heavier side compared to higher end sticks, it's very comfortable for me. I just started playing organized roller again for the first time in 7 years last fall, didn't want to spend alot on a higher-end stick, so I went cheaper and I really don't regret it.

A friend of mine just got a Warrior Dolomite and I may switch and get one myself. I used it during warmups and it's just as balanced of a stick as the X:60 (I've used that too during open hockey while he filled in as a goalie). I just found the puck to feel drastically heavier, with the Dolomite but I guess that's just from me being used to using a little heavier of a stick.

If you have the money, the X:60 is a great stick if you're a forward who likes to shoot with a quick release.

Brizz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Im old school. I still use my Easton Z-Bubble.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Warrior Starskie, 75 flex, Kovalev Curve

11-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Se16...

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Just to update, loved my one95 while it lasted, but ended up breaking it after 2 months or so. Have since switched to an 85 flex Easton ST that I got on sale, so far so good with that stick. A bit heavier than the one95, and definitely a bit more blade heavy, puck feel is OK but not as good as the one95, wristers not quite as good (though could be because the one95 was a 77 flex while the ST doesn't come any flexier than 85 flex), slappers are just as good with the ST as with the one95 though (if not better), and the performance is still quite good, much better than a cheap one piece. If it's as durable as some say it is then I'll consider it a great purchase.
I can never go back to a blade heavy stick...i'm ruined and forced to buy expensive sticks forever.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:55 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
I can never go back to a blade heavy stick...i'm ruined and forced to buy expensive sticks forever.
Meh, once the game starts I completely forget about the slightly worse balance and slighty worse puck feel on my ST vs. my old one95, if the durability is as good as some say it's SO worth it. Still performs better than a lot of composites, just not quite as well as a one95, but I got it on a great sale so it was only half the price of what a new one95 would have been. Really can't justify regularly spending $200+ on sticks that I'll likely break every few months, for me slightly worse performance for way better durability and half the price is EASILY worth it (assuming the durability actually is way better, only time will tell ...).

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Meh, once the game starts I completely forget about the slightly worse balance and slighty worse puck feel on my ST vs. my old one95, if the durability is as good as some say it's SO worth it. Still performs better than a lot of composites, just not quite as well as a one95, but I got it on a great sale so it was only half the price of what a new one95 would have been. Really can't justify regularly spending $200+ on sticks that I'll likely break every few months, for me slightly worse performance for way better durability and half the price is EASILY worth it (assuming the durability actually is way better, only time will tell ...).
Mine's been fine for a few months now, although none of my sticks go through the stress of competitive hockey anymore other than men's league. Either way, I found a great deal on them and I have 2 brand new ST's in storage. When I pay 1/6 of a price of a top of the line OPS for a ST, I'll stock up on a couple

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
My x60 is amazing. Will never go back to a cheaper stick.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote