HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
How many goals against has he even been on the ice for?

Even strength I can only think of 2, one against Philly where Staal was out of position by about 20 feet, and the other against Boston where Gilroy had trouble handling the puck at the blueline (mainly because he was a righty playing the left side) and Seguin scored on a pseudo-breakaway.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post

Even strength I can only think of 2, one against Philly where Staal was out of position by about 20 feet, and the other against Boston where Gilroy had trouble handling the puck at the blueline (mainly because he was a righty playing the left side) and Seguin scored on a pseudo-breakaway.
One against Toronto, I believe, when he was on the left side and the Rangers were down a man.

Point remains, however, that he's been incredibly dependable and steady. He's so useful.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Arcillius

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He has been on the ice for 5 goals against, only 3 at even strength. The NHL stats page is very good: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus

Arcillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Vitto79

Sauer has been real steady. With Rozy coming back and by some miracle Emminger playing well the D seems pretty solid

Gilroy should be the 7th all year barring a deal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:04 AM
MorrisWanchuk

that giveaway stat is interesting

league leaders

1. Duncan Keith 31
2. Tyler Myers 29
3. John Carlson 28
13. MDZ 19

not sure what it means - i mean there are ok giveaways when trying to make a play and then there's passing to an attacker in the slot

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:21 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Wasn't there talk years ago that if Sauer reached his full potential he could be better then Staal? Obviously it will never happen, but if Sauer can continue to develop to be what Girardi is now, 2005 is looking like a solid draft.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post

league leaders

1. Duncan Keith 31
2. Tyler Myers 29
3. John Carlson 28
13. MDZ 19

not sure what it means - i mean there are ok giveaways when trying to make a play and then there's passing to an attacker in the slot
In a few other threads, there has been discussion about the liberal awarding of hits by the MSG scorers. Giveaways and takeaways are two stats that also vary pretty wildly in their awarding. It's a pretty subjective stat, really. I have no idea what it's like on an area-to-arena basis though. I've just never really put much stock in those stats.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In a few other threads, there has been discussion about the liberal awarding of hits by the MSG scorers. Giveaways and takeaways are two stats that also vary pretty wildly in their awarding. It's a pretty subjective stat, really. I have no idea what it's like on an area-to-arena basis though. I've just never really put much stock in those stats.
Exactly, and with that said, the list makes sense. You have Keith, who logs the most ice in the league and defensemen in their second years logging considerable time out there.

I know they don't but for some reason, I always thought one team's giveaways would match the other's takeaways. For example, in Rangers/Flames, if Rangers had 4 giveways, I thought it stood to reason that Flames would have 4 takeaways.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Better rookie season: Mike Sauer or Marc Staal?
Staal was 20 in his rookie season. Sauer is 23.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:50 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post

league leaders

1. Duncan Keith 31
2. Tyler Myers 29
3. John Carlson 28
13. MDZ 19

Actually I think it is pretty compelling statistic. I've seen a lot of Keith this year and he has been awful. So has Myers and we all know how up and down MDZ has been. The only guy I can't comment on is Carlson because I've only seen Washington play once this year.

You have to have control of the puck to be charged with a giveaway. When Sauer first came up Torts' was quoted as saying he doesn't pass his **** off to other guys. He didn't stick then but I don't think you can get him out of the lineup with a crowbar now. He's the epitome of a simple game.

I just wish they would give him a big league uniform number. 38 is for the PA PArenteau's of the world.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Keith also handles the puck A LOT, as does Myers. Giveaways are bound to happen sometimes, but you're right Bobbop. Both have been subpar this year.

Sauer is no flash, all substance. He never tries to be fancy, but what's great about him is that when he gets the puck, like a true student of the game, he doesn't even have to think about what to do with it. He moves the puck quick and to the best possible place on the ice. That's the key to moving the puck up the ice. No hesitation, and no bad decisions.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Wasn't there talk years ago that if Sauer reached his full potential he could be better then Staal? Obviously it will never happen, but if Sauer can continue to develop to be what Girardi is now, 2005 is looking like a solid draft.
This goes back five years. There is probably an archive some where because I do not remember the exact quotes.

Perhaps some one ***cough-Ranger Boy-cough*** has the chops to hunt down the exact quotes from Sather. I'm pretty sure he was the one making them.

There was a lot of excitement in the wake of drafting Marc Staal at number 12. The Rangers took Sauer with their next selection. I think there were questions along the lines of "...you just got Marc Staal, why add another D man?" Sather (I think I am remembering this right) said that actually Sauer had been given strong consideration as the # 1 pick. There had been some concern about a hip injury and the Rangers had had him examined pretty thoroughly and they had him re-examined after his surgery to correct the problem.

But Staal dropping the way he did changed their plans and they made the decision to move up and get him. The thinking was Sauer would still be there in the 2nd round and he was.

Sather said their over all plan was to build from the goal mouth out. Agreed with that then and now. We got both of them.

Good for us.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
This is very important. Sauer is a nice turnout but lets not confuse a steady bottom pairing, perhaps #4 guy in the future with a top pairing defenseman.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:32 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is very important. Sauer is a nice turnout but lets not confuse a steady bottom pairing, perhaps #4 guy in the future with a top pairing defenseman.
Eh, I still think Sauer has 2/3 potential as a great defensive d-man. More likely 3/4, but he has every bit of potential to become one of those 2/3 tweener types like Rozsival (just better defensively). His positioning and overall defensive game are top notch. Especially for a kid.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Sauer can definitely be a top 4 d-man, imo. We have some sick defensive depth right now and if we had someone elite to pair with Staal I think we'd have one of the best d's in the league by far, especially if MDZ can get better and stay consistent in all aspects of the game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eh, I still think Sauer has 2/3 potential as a great defensive d-man. More likely 3/4, but he has every bit of potential to become one of those 2/3 tweener types like Rozsival (just better defensively). His positioning and overall defensive game are top notch. Especially for a kid.
Agreed. And it's not like his offensive instincts aren't. He could be a 30 point #3 dman.

11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

For the record, I already feel like Sauer is a #4. His defense is just that good.

Old
11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Also, I really like it when he plays with Eminger. I think they play great together. It lets Eminger be a bit crazy and go for those big hits now and then all while keeping him calm and under control. He's a steadying influence on Eminger, for sure.

Old
11-24-2010, 02:53 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I just wish they would give him a big league uniform number. 38 is for the PA PArenteau's of the world.
Probably next year. Like when Cally got to switch away from 43 and Girardi stopped wearing 46 (that was the number he wore right?).

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Senorchris

His pinching has been excellent, especially for a supposedly ultra defensive d-man. He's really not afraid to get up in the play... he really seems to like drifting up towards the unmarked backdoor. He's a bit of a right-sided Del Zotto, in this respect.

His tenacity around our net is absolutely unparalleled as well, which this team sorely needs. Whenever he's on the ice and Lundqvist/Biron gloves it, if an opposing forward even thinks about a follow-up swipe, he's there and in their face. What I really like is how it's not a % of the time, like with a lot of our other d-men: it's 100% of the time. Add to that his pretty intimidating presence (he's got a jaw that wouldn't look out of place on an action movie star), and it adds an utterly needed presence to our blueline.

Senorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
His pinching has been excellent, especially for a supposedly ultra defensive d-man. He's really not afraid to get up in the play... he really seems to like drifting up towards the unmarked backdoor. He's a bit of a right-sided Del Zotto, in this respect.

His tenacity around our net is absolutely unparalleled as well, which this team sorely needs. Whenever he's on the ice and Lundqvist/Biron gloves it, if an opposing forward even thinks about a follow-up swipe, he's there and in their face. What I really like is how it's not a % of the time, like with a lot of our other d-men: it's 100% of the time. Add to that his pretty intimidating presence (he's got a jaw that wouldn't look out of place on an action movie star), and it adds an utterly needed presence to our blueline.
Agreed. Biron made some great saves against Iginla getting the puck and trying to hammer it in infront of the goal crease, but Sauer (and others) were quick to clean out the front of the crease, which is something we weren't seeing earlier in the season.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

He is a keeper I love watching him play

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:50 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Tonight he picked the puck up, used the Ranger net and his shoulder as protection and had a decent rush to the blue line. He's an impressive skater.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
For the last time, defensemen mature later than forwards and many improve at older ages. Want proof? Look at Girardi's incremental improvement from year to year. Staal is still young and he has tremendous responsibility on this team. He'll get better. So will Sauer and Del Zotto. This is a good position especially if Del Zotto and Sauer sign team friendly contracts like Staal and Girardi. Hartford may be a mess right now but just because we all clamored for Sauer last year, perhaps he needed a little more seasoning. One thing you can't fault the Rangers on is their patience with young players. He's looking like he'll be a fixture here for a long time.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:54 PM
LyNX27

Flat out, the kid just looks confident and he doesn't do anything with part of his heart in it. He's either doing it or not, there is no indecisiveness in his game. To me that is amazing, it shows in everything he does.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote