HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nov. 24th KINGS@CANADIENS 7:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Nov. 24th KINGS@CANADIENS 7:30PM

Keep all discussions of tonight's game here until the actual Game Day thread is up.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 500
curse of the french canadian goalie
habs lose 3-0

Old
11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
coolasprICE

If I was a betting man I'd say Gomez doesn't get any points tonight.

Also, Kings are going to play with a chip on their shoulder for having their goal disallowed with 3 seconds left against the Sens that would have sent the game to OT... be ready for a strong start habs!

Old
11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Curse of the bag skate 5-0. JM take them bowling next time!

Old
11-24-2010, 10:58 AM
FlyingRat

I'm glad Weber got a fair chance before being taken out of the lineup

Old
11-24-2010, 10:58 AM
tinyzombies

Not gonna be easy from watching the Kings out here. They work hard and Bernier is hungry. Both teams have trouble scoring goals though. But both teams will probably open up since it's cross-conference. Good game to get Gomez going.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
I'm glad Weber got a fair chance before being taken out of the lineup
The best part is that according to Basu, Darche is now on the power play.

http://twitter.com/#!/ArponBasu/status/7458573692964864

I am not convinced using Weber at forward was fair or wise, but sitting him back down after he got a grand total of what... three power play chances? seems a bit absurd.

Also, if that line-up is correct, Plekanec must now be on the second wave.

What is it about Montreal that addles the brains of coaches? Martin never had this fascination with 4th liners in Ottawa.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Markovskaya

I think we will crush the kings big time.

6-2 Montreal.

Also: Cammy with 2 goals 1 assist game.
Also: Gomez skating fast, then not doing anything in Kings zone.
Also: Ak with 1 goal.
Also: Pouliot With 1 Goal 1 Assist.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The best part is that according to Basu, Darche is now on the power play.

http://twitter.com/#!/ArponBasu/status/7458573692964864

I am not convinced using Weber at forward was fair or wise, but sitting him back down after he got a grand total of what... three power play chances? seems a bit absurd.

Also, if that line-up is correct, Plekanec must now be on the second wave.

What is it about Montreal that addles the brains of coaches? Martin never had this fascination with 4th liners in Ottawa.
Desperate to inject toughness into the top 6. But inserting fourth liners isn't going to help.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Desperate to inject toughness into the top 6. But inserting fourth liners isn't going to help.
We need toughness on the powerplay?

Old
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

After Scott Gomez is his usual disappointed, will he be benched for the next game ? Maybe ?

Old
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
neofury*

I don't know guys personally I thought Weber looked really lost out there. More lost out there then he did even in earlier call ups. I know he was playing forward but I'm even referring to when playing D on the power play. I know he's young and hasn't gotten much NHL ice time but he really did seem lost, I'm not surprised. Maybe it'll take a few more practices and games to get him up to speed and to get him to play into our system who knows.

Truthfully he wasn't given many chances but aside from if we had control of the offensive zone he really looked lost. Still that should be a sign that he could work on the PP for us, still don't think it's right to sit a forward in his place or even Picard though.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
We need toughness on the powerplay?
everywhere toughness

Old
11-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Markovskaya

Also except lack of toughness and excess of saoftness.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Should be a really good one tonight, can't wait for it. I enjoy watching Kings games and both teams skate very well. Price will have another busy night

GO GO

Old
11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't know guys personally I thought Weber looked really lost out there. More lost out there then he did even in earlier call ups. I know he was playing forward but I'm even referring to when playing D on the power play. I know he's young and hasn't gotten much NHL ice time but he really did seem lost, I'm not surprised. Maybe it'll take a few more practices and games to get him up to speed and to get him to play into our system who knows.

Truthfully he wasn't given many chances but aside from if we had control of the offensive zone he really looked lost. Still that should be a sign that he could work on the PP for us, still don't think it's right to sit a forward in his place or even Picard though.
I'd be confused too if I had played defense my whole life, got called up to the highest level, and then was told to play forward.

I just do not understand this fascination. We had one guy who could do both, and even he hated it (Streit) and now suddenly every single defender who isn't awesome in his own end is a forward.

Whatever happened to dressing 7 D and just playing one of them sparingly?

I've been saying from the start: Weber should play defense or be in the AHL. It is what he is, and unless the team is going to make a focused effort to really convert him, they should let him sink or swim as that.

The team needs 7 guys up, so having him with the team, practicing for a couple weeks couldn't hurt, but since Markov is out 3 months or more, I think it might be time to find someone who is more suitable to sitting in the press box.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Yeah they put a defenceman up forward, he doesn't score any goals, so he obviously sucks, according to Martin.

He doesn't give any chances to rookies but the older guys can f-ck up as much as they want, because they're older and getting paid more.

Gomez deserves to be on the 3rd line, playing only on the PK, but he's not. Eller gets screwed every game. He makes a mistake and sits on the bench for 15 minutes, Gomez makes the same mistake, he gets double shifted.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:45 AM
neofury*

Quote:
I'd be confused too if I had played defense my whole life, got called up to the highest level, and then was told to play forward.

I just do not understand this fascination. We had one guy who could do both, and even he hated it (Streit) and now suddenly every single defender who isn't awesome in his own end is a forward.

Whatever happened to dressing 7 D and just playing one of them sparingly?

I've been saying from the start: Weber should play defense or be in the AHL. It is what he is, and unless the team is going to make a focused effort to really convert him, they should let him sink or swim as that.

Seriously though people need to calm down about how Jacques is developing our players. So far I've seen a lot more good than bad and I've seen a lot more players playing beyond their level or at their level than below.

The team needs 7 guys up, so having him with the team, practicing for a couple weeks couldn't hurt, but since Markov is out 3 months or more, I think it might be time to find someone who is more suitable to sitting in the press box.
Yeah I definitely agree. He should play D or be in the AHL. Having him up as a forward is a waste of his time and ours. Thing is though he still looked pretty bad out there even on D, I guess with the limited time he got to play as a D though it isn't fair to judge just yet due to the microscopic effect

Either way though I don't disagree about having 7 guys I just think if you're going to play a guy like Weber sparingly you might as well have him in the AHL and have a fringe guy sitting in the press box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Yeah they put a defenceman up forward, he doesn't score any goals, so he obviously sucks, according to Martin.

He doesn't give any chances to rookies but the older guys can f-ck up as much as they want, because they're older and getting paid more.

Gomez deserves to be on the 3rd line, playing only on the PK, but he's not. Eller gets screwed every game. He makes a mistake and sits on the bench for 15 minutes, Gomez makes the same mistake, he gets double shifted.
Well someone has to play while Eller is being benched dude

Seriously though I've seen a lot more players playing at or above their level than below so I wouldn't go getting the pitch forks and burning down Jacques house just yet.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:51 AM
number 11

weber shouldn't have been called up in the first place. he's a minus player in the AHL and he would hurt us in the defensive zone.

we don't need another m.a. bergeron.

meanwhile darche has been part of one of our better lines this season, they should keep him with pouliot and halpern.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
weber shouldn't have been called up in the first place. he's a minus player in the AHL and he would hurt us in the defensive zone.

we don't need another m.a. bergeron.

meanwhile darche has been part of one of our better lines this season, they should keep him with pouliot and halpern.
Except he's playing with Pouliot and Eller.

Pyatt is with Lapierre and Halpern.

And for some reason, Moen continues to play on a scoring line. Great. By scoring line, I mean our top-6 cause it's not really a scoring line.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah I definitely agree. He should play D or be in the AHL. Having him up as a forward is a waste of his time and ours. Thing is though he still looked pretty bad out there even on D, I guess with the limited time he got to play as a D though it isn't fair to judge just yet due to the microscopic effect

Either way though I don't disagree about having 7 guys I just think if you're going to play a guy like Weber sparingly you might as well have him in the AHL and have a fringe guy sitting in the press box.
Right, well, Martin in his brilliance threw him out there on defense with three minutes left after a full game of warming the bench and playing forward.

As I recall, he only got a decent opportunity on two power plays. On the first one, he made a bad cross ice pass after a fake that Richards read and deflected out of the zone. Not great, but I wouldn't condemn him on one bad play, Richards is one of the best PKers in the league.

On the second, he basically stood there while the other four guys decided to make it a four on four, focusing on the right side of the ice, while he waited on the left.

With about 25 seconds left in the PP, they fed him and he fired a rocket wrist shot (the sound it made off the boards was impressive) wide, then he one timed a slapshot just a few seconds later, which Boucher saved.

The flaw in both cases was, either Weber was setting up wide, or he was told to set up wide. People rarely score from the left boards by the blueline.

To me it was brutal PP design. You call up a rocket, you put that rocket in the center of the ice and threaten a dead on one timer.

For whatever reason, on the overload PP the team was running, they instead had him on the left boards, with Hamrlik in the middle. But Hamrlik was playing the role of playmaker, not shooter. This isn't rocket science. You are supposed to put the passer on the boards on an overload powerplay and line the shooter up in the shooting lane.

....all of that is long way of saying, they never even gave him half a chance to succeed.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Habs win 3-1.

Anyone have the soundbyte of JM talking about the "PP slump"? Reminded me of the whole "Playoffs?!" bit.

Old
11-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

this game will be a dandy!

Old
11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Except he's playing with Pouliot and Eller.

Pyatt is with Lapierre and Halpern.

And for some reason, Moen continues to play on a scoring line. Great. By scoring line, I mean our top-6 cause it's not really a scoring line.
Pouliot and Eller together....that will be interesting and it's one of the few time Eller will have a talented forward to play with.

Old
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Nedved

Nice GDT, one of the best to date.

love playing the kings. probably because I'm use to seeing the habs beat the kings, hopefully the habs stay the course and get the W.

Go habs GO!!!

Closed Thread