HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats in no rush to add Brad

Old
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Slats will trade a 2nd and mid-tier prospect for a top 4 lefty d-man.
I can see Gilroy and a pick going for a lefty Dman at some point for sure

As for Richards I want him bad but can wait till free agency.

I am pretty confident they can find a taker for Rozy and after this year some of the young Dmen will have made their makr for more ice time. They can slide McD and Valentenko in the mix next yr for sure and perhaps even one this year

All of the Frolov cash will have to go to raises for Dubi, Cally, Ani which they all deserve

Emminger, Fedotenko, Prospal will likely be let go just to get some more youth in

The Drury contract hurts but bright side is only one year after this

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
You're right.

He'll probably get more.
The only way he signs for $6m a year is if it's with Dallas. If he goes UFA and signs elsewhere, it'll be significantly more than that.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
30 is old in this leauge now days!!!! If you think he is going to get 30 million over 5 years your crazy. That would put him up there in the top 10 forwards in this leauge no way. We have two centers right doing a great job there and they are 10 years younger, If Gabby could score with the passes that Stepan has put on his stick the last 3 games we would be fine. No way Slats goes after him right now!!!!
Are you kidding? He's getting more than $6 mil per year for sure.... His current cap his is $7.8 mil, and he's on track for 100+ points this season..... No way in hell he's taking a $1.8 mil cutback if he posts a career high in points....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
The only way he signs for $6m a year is if it's with Dallas. If he goes UFA and signs elsewhere, it'll be significantly more than that.
Agreed.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Brad Richards is 30 years old. He is not 35. A 30 year old center who puts up 90 points a year is going to get paid, big time.
This, I don't know why everyone underrates Richards because of his age.

One of the most consistent centers every year, and still dropping huge numbers on a team not much better than the Rangers. He will get paid well for his services.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
You're right.

He'll probably get more.
Savard got 7 years and over $28 mil at 32 years old. Teams will offer Richards 7 years.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No, it really isn't. Henrik Sedin is 30 and he just had his best season.
it is old for a long term big money contract though.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
30 is old in this leauge now days!!!! If you think he is going to get 30 million over 5 years your crazy. That would put him up there in the top 10 forwards in this leauge no way. We have two centers right doing a great job there and they are 10 years younger, If Gabby could score with the passes that Stepan has put on his stick the last 3 games we would be fine. No way Slats goes after him right now!!!!
Joe Thornton -- 31
Pavel Datsyuk -- 32
Henrik Zetterberg -- 30
Sedin Brothers -- 30
Dany Heatley -- 30

Wanna tell me that any of these guys are old?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Savard got 7 years and over $28 mil at 32 years old. Teams will offer Richards 7 years.
Different circumstances. That was a cap circumvention contract, the extra years were there simply to bring down the cap hit. Teams can't do that anymore.

I expect 5 years for Richards, 35 mil, at the least.

11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Guess henrik's about to be over the hill then as well?
Complete assinine comment, 30 is still prime.
He's not old, but he's too old for a 7+ year contract that he would get.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Different circumstances. That was a cap circumvention contract, the extra years were there simply to bring down the cap hit. Teams can't do that anymore.

I expect 5 years for Richards, 35 mil, at the least.
The additional year or two was certainly added because Savard took a lower average salary per year but would not necessarily define it as "circumvention". Regardless, I expect a club to offer Richards 7 years.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Richards is a great hockey player but I want no part of the contract fiasco that will come along with him this off-season (if it reaches that point).

Call me crazy: Not in favor of giving any 30+ year old player a 5-year or more deal.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Richards is a great hockey player but I want no part of the contract fiasco that will come along with him this off-season (if it reaches that point).

Call me crazy: Not in favor of giving any 30+ year old player a 5-year or more deal.
Agreed. I'd prefer to give Richards 3 years at 23 milish if we HAD to sign him, but otherwise, pass.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
If Redden retires and we can add him in the offseason, I'm all for it. Stepan and Anisimov are certainly not top-flight centers at this point, and maybe never will be. Richards is, and at 30, has many good years ahead of him.
One of them may get there in 3-4 years, but, I'm willing to bet neither becomes a 90-point centerman, which Richards is. There's no reason to do anything right now, but, I'd love to see Richards centering Dubi and Gaborik. LB sure likes to stir things up, though. Richards didn't bring back players on the level of anyone LB listed, the last time he was dealt. Star players do not bring back the bounties people assume they should in these kinds of deals.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Age won't be an issue for a player of Richards' caliber.

We acquired Messier when he turned 30. Richards would be a lesser version of that acquisition.

That's not the issue.

The issue is that we can't fit him under the cap. Not at the trade deadline, and especially not on July 1st, when we have to worry about getting Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer locked up long term.

Del Zotto, Stepan, and others will need to be retained soon after that.

If Richards were a free agent AFTER next season, when Drury and Rozsival are off the books, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But unfortunately, it is an issue.

Rangerboy as always, keeps trying to hit the facts home. But it almost always falls on deaf ears.

Expiring CBA. No extra cap space. Looming threats of work stoppage. We can NOT afford to hand out 7+ years, 7+ mil on another player right now.

We have a LOT of VERY good young talent that is and should be the focus. That's the TEAM. That's the core. Once they're secure. Then they can worry about external acquisitions if financially possible.

Kreider will be here next year. Possibly Werek. Possibly one of McDonagh, Kundratek, Valentenko.

Things are going well right now. And the future is bright. No need to ruin that.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
BrandNewDream

Does anyone know if the modification agreed upon by the NHL and NHLPA re: Kovalchuk/circumvention modifies the 35+ rule at all? If a player signs a deal that takes them to/past their 35th birthday, is it a guaranteed cap hit? I haven't seen a good explanation of the new rule anywhere.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:08 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Rangerboy as always, keeps trying to hit the facts home. But it almost always falls on deaf ears.

Expiring CBA. No extra cap space. Looming threats of work stoppage. We can NOT afford to hand out 7+ years, 7+ mil on another player right now.
We have a LOT of VERY good young talent that is and should be the focus. That's the TEAM. That's the core. Once they're secure. Then they can worry about external acquisitions if financially possible.

Kreider will be here next year. Possibly Werek. Possibly one of McDonagh, Kundratek, Valentenko.

Things are going well right now. And the future is bright. No need to ruin that.
dw Prof I'm listening! haha it'd be nice if the cap keeps going up for the next few years that would certainly benefit us. Could use the extra 1.6 mil we used on Boogie but even with that 1.6 mil we'd prob only be signing our 4 or 5 guys. We can cut Boog or send him to AHL anytime right and save on his hit?

Cally, A.A., Dubs, Sauer. Possibility of Drury buyout? Think it'd only be done to help secure those guys not to get B.R. What'd be your guess for the team best suited to sign him as a UFA at this point? We're pretty much out, Devs are out, Pens are always against the cap. Philly has too much tied in C as it is. Isles? lol.

With the way the team is playing I would have no problem whatsoever trading Roszi even if it wasn't for much. Gotta think we could get something for him besides cap relief. ROszi for Byuf haha. But imagine we trade Roszi and Redden retires this offseason. I'd have a heart attack.

That said it'd be nice but I don't see it happenning. I think Wade will play another year or two. Drury will finish out here and then re-sign for cheap and Roszi may do the same but will likely leave as a UFA.

Def can't rule out a Roszi trade even though it leaves our D real young. Then again I don't mind struggling a biut this year. Right now the status quo says we're out and will barely manage to sign our own guys.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

brad richards is exactly the type of player that would make us a much better team. if torts wants him, that tells me alot. he isnt going to struggle playing in nyc either. hes a money player.

if he wants to come here and play for slats and try to help us win a cup, we might be able to get a deal done. i would have him speak to messier. in fact, id have mess lobby him hard.

as a rental though, we would need to pass. not worth it. he would need to come buttoned up for 4 years. that gives us an impact player who is smack dab in the middle of his prime.

we would need to be prepared to part with some pretty big names to land him.

having said all that, the kinda things brad richards does well would help us immensely and immediately. but, can we afford the price for him? thats the question.

or do we wait for him to be dealt to toronto. lose in the first round- if they even make it, and then we sign him for just money and/or picks....

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 11-24-2010 at 12:43 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Does anyone know if the modification agreed upon by the NHL and NHLPA re: Kovalchuk/circumvention modifies the 35+ rule at all? If a player signs a deal that takes them to/past their 35th birthday, is it a guaranteed cap hit? I haven't seen a good explanation of the new rule anywhere.
Contracts are only 35+ contracts if the player turns 35 by June 30th of the year in which he signs the deal. 35+ contracts are only guaranteed cap hits after the first year.

That's why we were able to send Brashear down to Hartford that first year and his cap hit was off the books. The 2nd year (and any subsequent years) are guaranteed against the cap.

The new rule doesn't change anything with regards to the 35+ rule, afaik.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Smart move by Slats. There's a lot to be desired in NY and not much in Toronto. If the money is the same, the player choose the greatest city in the world, hands down! We'll make a solid showing this year and an even better next.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
nyr2417

Let's spend the money elsewhere... Stepan is more than capable of centering Gaborik as we've seen and he's only a rookie. Imagine how well they're going to mesh in the coming years. Anismov Dubi and Cally have clicked and that is a line that should stay in tact for years to come. Boyle is showing he is willing to work hard both in season and off season if it means getting better he's developed into a very nice 3rd line center. 4th line centers are pieces that can be signed each year, or we can go with werek 3rd line center in the future and keep boyle on the 4th line and give the 4th line regular shifts. I'd rather see the money spent elsewhere, such as saving up for next off-season when rosi and drury come off the books and go after Ryan Suter and have a monster defense because defense is what wins championships in this league

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
TreeSapLlama

I think Brad Richards is getting a little underrated here. People seem to fail to realize that he outscored Gaborik last year, and is only 2 years older.

The biggest issue is making the caphit workout, so assuming that it is somehow accomplished (trade rozy, buyout drury, whatever, not the point of my post), there are two situations I see.

1. Ideally, Slats offers him the same deal as Gaborik. 5 years. 37.5 Million. I don't see Brad Richards accepting a deal like this however, because it would take him right to the grey 35 year old area, where his future is less secure. Thus I imagine the Rangers (or any team) would offer him
2. 49 Million over 7 years. Slightly lower cap hit, but I imagine Richards would push hard for a few years past 35.

For what its worth, I would do either in a heartbeat if the caphit works out. He is a serious talent. Another gamebreaker.

But as said above, I would NOT pay for a rental. Every single Ranger would have to be playing at 100% of their ability (Gaborik at .6 gpg, Lundqvist in god mode etc) for the Rangers to be "one piece away". I think this is unlikely at best.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Not Larry's best work. So, we aren't going to give up any of our BEST young players for Richards? No ****, Brooksy. This article is meaningless. None of the posters here who are looking for a Richards trade want or are pushing for any of Staal or Callahan or Del Zotto, etc. to be included in such a deal, nor is there any chance of that happening.

Richards and Daley for McDonagh, Grachev, Rozsival, White and a 1st conditional on Richards re-signing.

Watch what happens in February.

Oh, and IMO, there is absolutely no chance Richards will sign a contract with Toronto. As I said in another thread the other day, I can't imagine any top star wanting to play for a Toronto team that is poorly put together and is going nowhere if they can get paid elsewhere.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 11-24-2010 at 01:05 PM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
Let's spend the money elsewhere... Stepan is more than capable of centering Gaborik as we've seen and he's only a rookie.
More than capable? What about all the games where Stepan was a non-factor? I'm not pointing the finger at Stepan but he's a rookie and he's had more non-factor games thus far than he's been a factor in... It will take time for him to grow into the player we expect him to be...

I'm not necessarily advocating signing Brad Richards because our cap situation is not conducive to doing that, just commenting on Stepan here...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:07 PM
DutchShamrock

Brad Richards is legit. Not only is he a point machine, he can play in any situation and would immediately be our best all around player. He is deadly on the pp point too, something we could use. If there is no Drury contract here, I say get him now. Not at that price, of course but I am willing to part with some assets. Considering the age of Henrik and Gaborik, I want to make a cup run sooner than later. Richards would help in that regard. Take out Drury and Roszival's contracts add a legit top 4 D and I see no reason why we aren't contending going into 2012.

For the record, I think Richards got slammed for his contract, not his age. Coming out of the lockout, $7.8m is huge. It is gigantic. Now, not so much but that is when he got tagged as overrated and became an afterthought in the league. People thought TB got a good deal in that trade, just to get rid of the contract. Let me ask you now, who would you prefer, Lecavilier or Richards?

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Oh, and IMO, there is absolutely no chance Richards will sign a contract with Toronto. As I said in another thread the other day, I can't imagine any top star wanting to play for a Toronto team that is poorly put together and is going nowhere if they can get paid elsewhere.
Their cap is worse than ours. Their fans are worse than ours, look at the treatment Phanuef got since day 1. That team has a dismal future, don't let the Canadian media fool you.

I just cannot fathom how they could possibly fit Richards without removing Kaberle but who would want to join that team at 30 w/o someone like Kaberle there or a possiblity of contending inside of 5 years?

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote