Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Falk Re-assigned to Houston

Old
11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

vCash: 500
While I understand this was the "easiest" move... I gotta say, with Stoner and Barker both looking so iffy........ I'd be insanely upset if I were Falk.

I obviously understand the contract situation and all the BS that goes along with it, but man.... To be outplaying two players and STILL get demoted? That's gotta sting...

I'd love to see a bit of a shakeup of our D at this point. I'd rather Falk play than Stoner, Barker I could completely give or take - he just makes it really difficult to defend him in any way and at this stage... Zanon looks freaking terrible out there, just horrible lately...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
nickschultzfan

At the very least, this is a good issue to be upset about. Falk has played well, and he has brought a new element to our defense - a large, physical defensive Dman who is also mobile and can move the puck.

I rage a lot about Barker. But it's because of the trade and his salary. All and all, I think he fits on this blueline.

Zannon is definitely the one that now looks out of place with Falk and Scandella's play. Falk/Scandella and Zidlicky would be one hell of a pairing.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
El Nino22

I see this hasn't been mentioned yet,but one of the big reasons Stoner was kept over Falk is his toughness. Yes Stoner is a marginal defender and brings no offense but he has the ability to drop the gloves and add grit. Falk is a big kid and yeah he can hit but for being 6'5 he doesn't hit nearly enough or really use his body all that well and im sure those will be focus points of his Houston trip. Im sure we will all appreciate Stoner a lot more on Saturday when he pummels Sean Avery for running Koivu and Havlat and probably Backstrom all game.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I see this hasn't been mentioned yet,but one of the big reasons Stoner was kept over Falk is his toughness. Yes Stoner is a marginal defender and brings no offense but he has the ability to drop the gloves and add grit. Falk is a big kid and yeah he can hit but for being 6'5 he doesn't hit nearly enough or really use his body all that well and im sure those will be focus points of his Houston trip. Im sure we will all appreciate Stoner a lot more on Saturday when he pummels Sean Avery for running Koivu and Havlat and probably Backstrom all game.
I have missed the past two games but have seen every other game thus far, and I must disagree on Falk's physical play. Falk has played as physical as Stoner, without taking himself out of position. Falk has done a better job of separating his man from the puck along the boards. As far as dropping the gloves is concerned, Stoner may have more of a reputation but I don't think Stoner can be said to be tougher. There is nothing that I have seen thus far, from the beginning of camp until now, that indicates Stoner is the superior physical player.

In other words, I don't think toughness had anything to do with the decision of Falk vs. Stoner...just contract/waiver situation.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
yeah, stoner was more physical than Falk. He's playing less that way for some reason this season--including preseason. Maybe legitimate fear of re-injury? He is probably still more quick to drop the mitts than Falk though if it comes to that.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:51 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I have missed the past two games but have seen every other game thus far, and I must disagree on Falk's physical play. Falk has played as physical as Stoner, without taking himself out of position. Falk has done a better job of separating his man from the puck along the boards. As far as dropping the gloves is concerned, Stoner may have more of a reputation but I don't think Stoner can be said to be tougher. There is nothing that I have seen thus far, from the beginning of camp until now, that indicates Stoner is the superior physical player.

In other words, I don't think toughness had anything to do with the decision of Falk vs. Stoner...just contract/waiver situation.
Actually Richards was quoted as saying that.When asked why Falk was chosen over other defenseman, Richards said the following: [Clayton] Stoner has a little bit different element than Falk does, with the toughness and the grit, so sometimes that leads into the decisions, too.

Old
11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Actually Richards was quoted as saying that.When asked why Falk was chosen over other defenseman, Richards said the following: [Clayton] Stoner has a little bit different element than Falk does, with the toughness and the grit, so sometimes that leads into the decisions, too.
Hmm, well, I haven't seen Stoner use that element. But, then again, he was absolutely horrible the first week and then hasn't been in the lineup that often.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
El Nino22

I don't know. He beat up somebody from Vancouver pretty good earlier.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
BigT2002

He'll be back up. Right now I think they wanna play the field with all of them instead of getting into a tight spot where they'll have to clear waivers. not like they can send Barker down

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Scandella's back down...no word on who's coming up. Wild don't play for 5 days so maybe a cost saving move.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
They actually interviewed someone on the radio last night. I think the Assistant GM? He gave his reasons why Falk was sent down and what was said.

Along the lines of:
"We're not sending you down because you played poorly, we just want you to develop some aspects. We're sending you down because we believe in you."

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Scandella's back down...no word on who's coming up. Wild don't play for 5 days so maybe a cost saving move.
I could see that being the case.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Turns out everyone got pissed off for nothing.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Wooooo!!!!! though the flyers don't have anyone Staubitz couldn't tangle with so i'm not sure what purpose Kassian serves if he's being called specifically for this. With him and Staubitz though we should see a quiet carcillo. I remember how timid "car bomb" was when we played them last with boogaard in. Nary a peep.

Longshot guess--Clutter a game time decision and we need something--some sort of physicality--to make up for his absence though i'm fully aware Kassian doesn't fill the same niche.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Falk was recalled today.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Falk was recalled today.
officially! the wild organization's official blogger/writer let it slip yesterday . Falk and Kassian will add some more meat to the lineup.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
saywut

Well lets see how Scandella responds in Houston. Will he go the way of Pouliot and pout about it, or will he go back to being our best d-man down there. Always a bigger risk with a 1st year pro.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've not heard about Scandella being a moody kid who disappears for stretches, so I'd guess he'll be just fine.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote