HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players you liked that had short stints and were traded?

Old
11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
Vinny Prospal,
His 97 AHL season was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I went to almost every phantoms game that year. He was kinda string bean like then, odd stride, but just uncanny vision. Reminds me of leino actually. The crappy thing is Therien broke his wrist in practice so he didn't make it past the pens series that year.

Scotty Upshal,
Great energy, drove mike green nuts during the playoffs. I'd still take him over carcillo, can you imagine gagne/richards/upshall instead of carcillo. The guy almost cried at the airport leaving philly.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I liked Grieg well before we had him, and always thought he was 3rd line material but I guess not.

As for Skalde it was more because of knowing him that I was excited and was hoping he would get a chance to contribute at the NHL level.

The OP wasn't looking for guys who we were sure would be the hall of fame, just guys we liked who had short stints. He is a guy I liked that had a short stint. He's a pretty good coach now too.
Certainly Skalde would fit the bill for having a short stint before being traded. How does Greig fit into that description when he played 5 seasons for the organization?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Scotty Upshal,
Great energy, drove mike green nuts during the playoffs. I'd still take him over carcillo, can you imagine gagne/richards/upshall instead of carcillo. The guy almost cried at the airport leaving philly.
My favourite Upshall game was vs Boston when he drove Chara insane, and then scored the gamewinner with a Forsberg move. He was on Chara every shift, and I think Chara took a few penalties trying to get rid of him. Also the birth of the magic "9's".

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Definitely Upshall. I liked Amonte too when he was here.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Devonator

Going way back to 85, Todd Bergen looked like he was going to be a star but gave up hockey...odd story...

Also in 88, I remember we had acquired Paul Lawless who had some real skill but he also didn't stick very long with the team...

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Markov, guy was awesome.

Tony Amonte is a good one, I forgot he was here for a little bit.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Markov, Upshall, Sharp, Marty Murray, Chris McAllister

the Fedoruk-Murray-McAllister line was possibly the favorite of my flyers history. Small gritty guy who played his tail off was a victim of liberties of other players, so put Fridge and Big Mac on his flanks.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Flyskippy

I'd say Mike Maneluk, Danny Markov, and Scottie Upshall. I'd love to see how Upshall would play while coached by Lava.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I was going to say Sharp but from what I've read, Sharp wanted to be traded.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
JCameron418

Jason Smith. Should have kept him for one more year.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
My favourite Upshall game was vs Boston when he drove Chara insane, and then scored the gamewinner with a Forsberg move. He was on Chara every shift, and I think Chara took a few penalties trying to get rid of him. Also the birth of the magic "9's".
I remember that game. Chara was going crazy over this guy a foot shorter than him, I remember Scottie challenged him to fight and Chara skated away, too (probably because he didn't want to get arrested on murder charged, but still). I talk about that game with everyone random Flyers fan I meet at bars and such when I explain my insane man crush for Upshall.

I think you may have your stories mixed up, though. I'm not sure if he did the Forsberg move in that game, but in his first game as a Flyer after being traded for Forsberg he won the game with the Forsberg move on a breakaway in the 3rd (an absolutely sick story).

U
P
S C O T T I E
H
A
L
L

Bring him back, Homer!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Jason Smith. Should have kept him for one more year.
He sucked hard with the Sens.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
BringBackStevens

The most obvious answer of recent teams has to be Danny Markov. Flyers fans just adored him. It was pretty much a match made in heaven. I know the guy is one of my favorite players to ever put on the sweater which is a bit crazy considering how shortly he was here.

It really is a shame that he couldn't have stuck around

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Richyrich

Mike Sillinger

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
zamboni88

Daymond Langkow

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Scotties goal using the forsberg move is still my favourite flyers goal of all time.

Gotta say, i really liked Vaananan(sp) and metropolit when they were here too. Prospal and that play-off run was pretty spectacular too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Markov is the first name to pop in most people's minds.

Langkow is another guy, though he turned directly into Jeff Carter and partially turned into Chris Pronger.

I loved Justin Williams as well.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I remember that game. Chara was going crazy over this guy a foot shorter than him, I remember Scottie challenged him to fight and Chara skated away, too (probably because he didn't want to get arrested on murder charged, but still). I talk about that game with everyone random Flyers fan I meet at bars and such when I explain my insane man crush for Upshall.

I think you may have your stories mixed up, though. I'm not sure if he did the Forsberg move in that game, but in his first game as a Flyer after being traded for Forsberg he won the game with the Forsberg move on a breakaway in the 3rd (an absolutely sick story).

U
P
S C O T T I E
H
A
L
L

Bring him back, Homer!
You may be right, and it's very possible I combined the two into one wicked game in my mind! If it was two separate games, then those are my two favourite Upshall games!

I also loved Markov and Timander.

I wish the Flyers had held onto Downie, but it was far better for him to go elsewhere. Kukkonen as well, but that may be more disgust with how badly he got screwed over by the coaching staff than being a fan of his play.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
agrudez*

It is a shame that Thor isn't getting more love in this thread.

The man literally played his balls off for our fan base.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
UseYourAllusion

Danny Markov was awesome.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:16 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Certainly Skalde would fit the bill for having a short stint before being traded. How does Greig fit into that description when he played 5 seasons for the organization?
Did you read the whole OP? It was in english. Greig played 30 games for the Flyers so he fits under the second sentence (the unbolded one that is directly below the first one) of a guy who "never panned out." Surely someone like yourself who bases opinions solely on hockeydatabase.com can look up that he was a first round draft pick. First round picks are supposed to make it. I can explain how the draft works if you like. He played 30 games for the Flyers. We then can conclude that he was a guy who never panned out for the Flyers, and I liked him and so I mentioned his name on a forum thread asking for the names of guys who had short stinks with the Flyers that we liked that never panned out or were traded. Is that plain enough for you or should I break out some puppets and crayons?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
A lot of previously mentioned players can be seen in these famous videos

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210
Did you read the whole OP? It was in english. Greig played 30 games for the Flyers so he fits under the second sentence (the unbolded one that is directly below the first one) of a guy who "never panned out." Surely someone like yourself who bases opinions solely on hockeydatabase.com can look up that he was a first round draft pick. First round picks are supposed to make it. I can explain how the draft works if you like. He played 30 games for the Flyers. We then can conclude that he was a guy who never panned out for the Flyers, and I liked him and so I mentioned his name on a forum thread asking for the names of guys who had short stinks with the Flyers that we liked that never panned out or were traded. Is that plain enough for you or should I break out some puppets and crayons?
Who buddy, cut the attitude - pelts actually has a point. The title of the thread is asking to list players who had short stints... its a bit ridiculous to include a guy that was in the organization for 5 years as someone who had a short stint.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Mark Recchi. Considering the guy has been playing since about 1763, his stint here was relatively short.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Forsberg, Upshall, JvR, and Markov.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote