HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Girardi is top 15 in NHL

Old
11-24-2010, 12:51 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
i've been very critical of girardi in the past

but as a whole he's playing the best hockey of his career so far this season

hope he keeps it up

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Next time we play Chicago or Boston everyone needs to pay attention to Keith and Chara. They literally control games, especially Chara. Girardi has played awesome this season, but his best games aren't even close to what Zdeno Chara is capable of most nights. Girardi has scored a good amount of points, but he simply isn't a threat on the power play.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
No, he isn't.
If girardi had better defensive stats then pronger he isn't the better defensemen? that's a bunch of *********, why because his name is Dan girardi not Chris pronger. That's crap

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
rody

If his name was Marc Staal I am sure he would be considered to win it, Girardi is more fundimentally sound and much smarter than Staal, Staal's upside is his size, reach and name.
they make an awesome pair, it is funny Staal's game has really picked up since Rosie has been out.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:26 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Scott Stevens never did and if he didn't Girardi doesn't deserve Norris considerations. Lets not kid ourselves, Girardi is playing well, but he's not a Norris candidate. Staal is a much better D than Girardi is.
Stevens should have been getting Norris. I never said Girardi is Norris bound. I just said there is no trophy for stay-at-home D. Stevens is a good illustration to my point.
Just think of this: Stevens at Dan's age (26) was still in STL and no one knew about him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
OverTheCap

Girardi has been excellent, he's really bounced back from two inconsistent seasons. I was doubtful he would return to his steady form but I'm thrilled that he did.

As for as Norris Trophy consideration, not a chance. Asides from the usual Lidstrom, Pronger, Chara, etc., types that usually get nominated, there a bunch of defensemen that are breaking out offensively that would get consideration over Girardi... Letang, Visnovsky, and Liles, to name a few.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:44 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Stevens should have been getting Norris. I never said Girardi is Norris bound. I just said there is no trophy for stay-at-home D. Stevens is a good illustration to my point.
Just think of this: Stevens at Dan's age (26) was still in STL and no one knew about him.
Stevens was very offense oriented in his early years, and considering he had put up over 60 points 3 times by the time he was 26, I'd say he was pretty well known...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
nyr5186

As great as Girardi has been, he's not going to be in consideration for the Norris. Which is fine. Plenty of teams have won Cups without Norris-calibre defensemen. Staal has an outside chance at some point in the future, but only if he really steps up his offensive game.

No doubt Girardi will get some serious looks at Team Canada in a few years.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
If girardi had better defensive stats then pronger he isn't the better defensemen? that's a bunch of *********, why because his name is Dan girardi not Chris pronger. That's crap
Defensive stats don't tell the whole story bud. You've got a lot to learn.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I just look back at all the folks who wanted him gone for not being the third man in...

I'm glad those folks dont manage our hockey team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
rangersfan111

girardi is a great second pairing defensemen... he has played phenomenal the first 20 games of the season, but he is definitley not the rangers best defensive defensemen... staal is a better defensemen then girardi hands down... i love girardi as much as the next guy but he is on a streak right now and playing his best hockey

Rangers will be strong on defense for many years to come

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Defensive stats don't tell the whole story bud. You've got a lot to learn.
No **** the really don't? I'm not ten years old I've been watching hockey for a while now I think I'd know that.

Old
11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Quote:
No **** the really don't? I'm not ten years old I've been watching hockey for a while now I think I'd know that.
Would you really know that? Because judging by the above statement, I don't think so.

So, like I said, defensive stats DO NOT tell the whole story. Chris Pronger >>>>>> Dan Girardi, and it's not even close.

Regardless of what the stats tell you. Have you learned it now?

Old
11-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Garfinkel1

And to think, if most people on here were the GM last year both Boyle and Girardi would not be on this team....

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Would you really know that? Because judging by the above statement, I don't think so.

So, like I said, defensive stats DO NOT tell the whole story. Chris Pronger >>>>>> Dan Girardi, and it's not even close.

Regardless of what the stats tell you. Have you learned it now?
Yes i do know that, do you know wether I do or don't know that through two posts that weren't directly suggesting what your criticizing me for? Let's not read into it professor I was making a point to someone else that if girardi had far better stats then pronger a strong point could be made that's he's the better defender and thus a better Norris candidate then pronger because I believe the Norris is based more on stats and names than actual play. I never once said stats mean everything, or can u quote me saying that too? Thanks for the ****in lesson sir.

Old
11-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Who remembers when the Rangers signed him out of Juniors? He was close to being drafted, right? Was he sought by a lot of other NHL teams?

I can never think of Girardi without thinking what an astute pick-up he was.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

LOLLLLLL@ Girardi and Norris used in the same sentence. Now I've seen everything.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:03 PM
RangerFan23

[QUOTE=Jaromir Jagr;29145984]
Considering points = goals and goals win hockey games.

[QUOTE]

And solid defensive play = fewer goals allowed = greater chance to win hockey games

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:07 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

He's really stepped up this season. In the past, he's seemed invisible at times, but showed flashes that he could be a solid shutdown defensemen.

It seems like this year he has found that consistency in his game, and has been solid throughout this entire season so far.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
That feeds right into the fact that it's not always the best all around defenseman it's the league/fan favorite not the best defender. If girardi has a better +/- then pronger, more blocked shots, and hits but less points isn't girardi the better defensmen?
Quote:
Quote:
Yes i do know that, do you know wether I do or don't know that through two posts that weren't directly suggesting what your criticizing me for? Let's not read into it professor I was making a point to someone else that if girardi had far better stats then pronger a strong point could be made that's he's the better defender and thus a better Norris candidate then pronger because I believe the Norris is based more on stats and names than actual play. I never once said stats mean everything, or can u quote me saying that too? Thanks for the ****in lesson sir.
Interesting that NOW you insert the "far better" language, when it was never present before. Perhaps its because you're starting to see the errors in your statements?

I don't care if Girardi has more hits, blocks, and a better +/- than Pronger. Pronger does a lot more than those "defensive" stats will show you. He has a bomb of a shot, makes great outlet passes, and is more than adequate at quarterbacking a PP. On top of that, he's a beast in his own zone, in front of the net, and isn't afraid to be nasty when necessary and intimidate the opponent. Looking at blocks, hits, and +/- won't tell you all that, not even close.

And to your point about "fan favorite" d-men...those players usually become fan favorites and noticed by media because they're BETTER than their peers. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Girardi, while a solid defenseman, is nowhere even close to those guys. If you were looking at blocks and hits, wouldn't Anton Volchenkov belong in that class? Yes, but everyone knows he's not even close. Lidstrom, Keith, Chara, Weber, Doughty, etc. are the best OVERALL defensemen in the league. They perform EXCEPTIONALLY well on BOTH sides of the puck.

Old
11-24-2010, 04:31 PM
SomE

If Marek Malik can get a 2nd place Norris vote.. Anything can happen

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting that NOW you insert the "far better" language, when it was never present before. Perhaps its because you're starting to see the errors in your statements?

I don't care if Girardi has more hits, blocks, and a better +/- than Pronger. Pronger does a lot more than those "defensive" stats will show you. He has a bomb of a shot, makes great outlet passes, and is more than adequate at quarterbacking a PP. On top of that, he's a beast in his own zone, in front of the net, and isn't afraid to be nasty when necessary and intimidate the opponent. Looking at blocks, hits, and +/- won't tell you all that, not even close.

And to your point about "fan favorite" d-men...those players usually become fan favorites and noticed by media because they're BETTER than their peers. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Girardi, while a solid defenseman, is nowhere even close to those guys. If you were looking at blocks and hits, wouldn't Anton Volchenkov belong in that class? Yes, but everyone knows he's not even close. Lidstrom, Keith, Chara, Weber, Doughty, etc. are the best OVERALL defensemen in the league. They perform EXCEPTIONALLY well on BOTH sides of the puck.
Once again thanks soo much for your lesson, you should look into finding something better to do with yourself than critique my opinionated posts.

Old
11-24-2010, 05:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can't wait till next season when every three months there is a "Sauer > Girardi" thread.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Pugs35

[QUOTE=RangerFan23;29150023][QUOTE=Jaromir Jagr;29145984]
Considering points = goals and goals win hockey games.

Quote:

And solid defensive play = fewer goals allowed = greater chance to win hockey games
Obviously, but he was referring to Pronger, Chara, Keith and Lidstrom. Who bring both of those equations up there. That's the difference.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:19 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Once again thanks soo much for your lesson, you should look into finding something better to do with yourself than critique my opinionated posts.
Lovely how you simply dismiss what I've written instead of actually trying to refute it. I can sense that the conviction in your "opinionated posts" is strong.