HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats in no rush to add Brad

Old
11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Bobo Fett*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
He's 30, no thanks. They won't fit him without serious cap manipulation and a longterm contract. To Slats' credit, he hasn't done any 10+ year contracts (but it doesn't excuse Redden and Drury).
lol so once players reach 30 they are done?

Brad Richards is in his prime right now and he probably has 3-5 years left of high end talent.

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Bobo Fett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Oh, and IMO, there is absolutely no chance Richards will sign a contract with Toronto. As I said in another thread the other day, I can't imagine any top star wanting to play for a Toronto team that is poorly put together and is going nowhere if they can get paid elsewhere.
Sadly for you he stated otherwise.

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
brad richards is exactly the type of player that would make us a much better team. if torts wants him, that tells me alot. he isnt going to struggle playing in nyc either. hes a money player.

if he wants to come here and play for slats and try to help us win a cup, we might be able to get a deal done. i would have him speak to messier. in fact, id have mess lobby him hard.

as a rental though, we would need to pass. not worth it. he would need to come buttoned up for 4 years. that gives us an impact player who is smack dab in the middle of his prime.

we would need to be prepared to part with some pretty big names to land him.

having said all that, the kinda things brad richards does well would help us immensely and immediately. but, can we afford the price for him? thats the question.

or do we wait for him to be dealt to toronto. lose in the first round- if they even make it, and then we sign him for just money and/or picks....
Not true...teams never seem to get the bounty fans expect them to when these type of deals are made....Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen and Jeff Halpern for a younger Richards...Brad Stuart, Marco Strum and Wayne Primeau for Joe Thornton...Christensen, Colby Armstrong, Angelo Esposito (bust) and a #1 for Hossa...Bergfors, Oduya, a tainted prospect (whose names escapes me right now) and a #1, for Kovalchuk, Salmela and a swap of 2nds...Kovalchuk didn't bring Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds or Brayden Schenn. Aside from perhaps Brad Stuart, you're seeing okay players that were expendable. Once again, people will be surprised when the Stars don't bring back the bounty everyone thinks teams get when they trade star players.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:22 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Sadly for you he stated otherwise.
He said Toronto is always a #1 hockey destination, not HIS #1 hockey destination. He also said it while playing in Toronto, to the Toronto media, so take it with a mouthful of salt.

That having been said, there is definitely a chance he goes to Toronto. My current estimation is:

Dallas ownership sorted out, resign Richards 60%
Rangers sign Richards (offseason) 15%
Toronto signs Richards(offseason) 20%
Rangers trade for Richards(deadline) 5%

I do not believe Toronto has the assets to acquire Richards through trade. None that they are willing to give up.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Stepanformayor*

Wolfgaze how can you say he has been a non factor? 9 of Stepans games he played with Boogy. If you understand the game, when your on the forth line, your not there to score goals. Why do you think Averys numbers are down. The kid has a 5 game point streak going, had 19:30 in ice Monday night, and over the last 3 games been as good as any forward in the line-up. There has not been alot of inconsiestant play there. I get tired of defending one of the best prospects we have had in years on this board. The kid is on pace to get 40-50 points as a 20 year old in this leauge, and thats not good enough for guys like you. There is no chance of keeping all the kids together and signing Richards. So lets do what we have done for the last 20 years and on the kids.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
nyr5186

This may be a stupid question, but is it at all possible for a player's contract to be restructured? Do you think Drury would be willing or even allowed to by the NHL to take a little less money in the final year of his contract in order to fit in a player like Richards? Has that ever happened in hockey? And if so, how would you even go about doing that without pissing off the captain of your team? Would you offer to extend the years on the deal for half the cost? Would we take Drury at 3 mil a year for the next 3 years if it allows us the space to sign Richards in the offseason?

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Wolfgaze how can you say he has been a non factor? 9 of Stepans games he played with Boogy. If you understand the game, when your on the forth line, your not there to score goals. Why do you think Averys numbers are down. The kid has a 5 game point streak going, had 19:30 in ice Monday night, and over the last 3 games been as good as any forward in the line-up. There has not been alot of inconsiestant play there. I get tired of defending one of the best prospects we have had in years on this board. The kid is on pace to get 40-50 points as a 20 year old in this leauge, and thats not good enough for guys like you. There is no chance of keeping all the kids together and signing Richards. So lets do what we have done for the last 20 years and on the kids.
You have said it yourself. The kid is a PROSPECT. He has been playing some decent hockey this year, but you are asking him to go against the toughest defensemen in the NHL as a #1 center. Remember, Stepan has played 22 games as a Pro. TWENTY TWO. He needs to get experience and develop the correct way.

Adding Brad Richards would be huge for this club. Stepan has probably a 3% chance of ever being as good as Brad Richards, and this is giving full credit to Stepan.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but is it at all possible for a player's contract to be restructured? Do you think Drury would be willing or even allowed to by the NHL to take a little less money in the final year of his contract in order to fit in a player like Richards? Has that ever happened in hockey? And if so, how would you even go about doing that without pissing off the captain of your team? Would you offer to extend the years on the deal for half the cost? Would we take Drury at 3 mil a year for the next 3 years if it allows us the space to sign Richards in the offseason?
Restructuring is not allowed under the CBA.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:50 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
lol so once players reach 30 they are done?

Brad Richards is in his prime right now and he probably has 3-5 years left of high end talent.
Yes, but he will not get a 3 year or 5 year contract if he hits UFA. He'll get at least 7.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
bubba5

Cant wait for all you "Lets sign Richards to a 5 year 30 mill contract or more because he got 90 points last year" to complain 2 years into the contract that Sather is a complete idiot for signing him because he is not putting up those numbers and you cant trade him, and we are in cap hell again.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
FOXHOUND*

Guys, I want you to look at a key piece of this article:
"There is no doubt Sather will mount up, cry giddyup, and pursue Richards -- who won the Conn Smythe playing for coach John Tortorella's 2004 Stanley Cup-winning Lightning -- once he hits the open market on July 1st."
People who don't want Richards on this team at all should be prepared, and not kid themselves.* If Richards makes it the UFA, the Rangers WILL be a player.* You know our history, you know how Slats does things.* You know the types ofplayers he covets.* Richards is text book slats.* and for better or for worse the Rangers will be involved in some way shape or form, and be one of, if not the, highest bidder.* I'm not saying anything for or against it right now, and especially because I think if he does hit UFA he'll go to Toronto, but just be ready for the inevitable.**

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Guys, I want you to look at a key piece of this article:
"There is no doubt Sather will mount up, cry giddyup, and pursue Richards -- who won the Conn Smythe playing for coach John Tortorella's 2004 Stanley Cup-winning Lightning -- once he hits the open market on July 1st."
People who don't want Richards on this team at all should be prepared, and not kid themselves.* If Richards makes it the UFA, the Rangers WILL be a player.* You know our history, you know how Slats does things.* You know the types ofplayers he covets.* Richards is text book slats.* and for better or for worse the Rangers will be involved in some way shape or form, and be one of, if not the, highest bidder.* I'm not saying anything for or against it right now, and especially because I think if he does hit UFA he'll go to Toronto, but just be ready for the inevitable.**
the same could have been said about Kovalchuk....but Sather didnt deal the farm to get him and didnt offer a silly contract to him this off season...a sure sign that things have changed - for the better- around here. If ever there was a time to panic and have the Old Sather screw things up it was last year when the Rangers were fighting for a PO spot. He didnt panic to get Koval....they kept the kids...a great sign that this org has finally gotten its **** together.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Stepanformayor*

Great post Bubba!!!!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
the same could have been said about Kovalchuk....but Sather didnt deal the farm to get him and didnt offer a silly contract to him this off season...a sure sign that things have changed - for the better- around here. If ever there was a time to panic and have the Old Sather screw things up it was last year when the Rangers were fighting for a PO spot. He didnt panic to get Koval....they kept the kids...a great sign that this org has finally gotten its **** together.
Kovalchuk was never a player he coveted. Kovalchuk is also not the #1 center the team so desperately needs.

Old
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Kovalchuk was never a player he coveted. Kovalchuk is also not the #1 center the team so desperately needs.
This. Kovalchuk is the opposite of what this team wants. A selfish puck hog.

Richards fits this team's build, and philosophy perfectly. It's why I say there's a 95% chance of him being a Ranger by October 2011.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
FOXHOUND*

And again, I'm not saying getting him is either a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that I think it's very likely to happen.

Old
11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
You have said it yourself. The kid is a PROSPECT. He has been playing some decent hockey this year, but you are asking him to go against the toughest defensemen in the NHL as a #1 center. Remember, Stepan has played 22 games as a Pro. TWENTY TWO. He needs to get experience and develop the correct way.

Adding Brad Richards would be huge for this club. Stepan has probably a 3% chance of ever being as good as Brad Richards, and this is giving full credit to Stepan.
Richards is the player you hope Stepan turns out to be.

Old
11-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Yes, but he will not get a 3 year or 5 year contract if he hits UFA. He'll get at least 7.
That's the problem.

I wouldn't mind signing him for 3 or 4 years. Definitely not 7...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Richards makes us as close to contenders as we can be without a legitimate elite d-man next to Staal. If Hank plays at 100%, with Richards, I do think we can make a deep playoff run.

I just don't see how it fits.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Richards is the player you hope Stepan turns out to be.
Adam Oates is the the player I hope Stepan turns out to be like.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If I'm Joe Nieuwendyk,I am going to want a #1 pick and Dylan McIlrath included in any package. Kovalchuk brought back a #1 as a rental and a former #1 in Bergfors. Dallas liked McIlrath. They were one of the teams targeted for McIlrath. Some reports claimed they would have taken McIlrath at #11 if he was there. They need help on defense. Why would they take a 32 year old Rozsival who will be a group III in 2012 instead of asking for Girardi who is similar to Oduya? Signed to an affordable contract. I love these proposals. White will be gonzo as soon Drury or Prospal return next month. White won't be here in February.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
BobSantos

Richards isn't a point machine. He can be certain years, but others he's not. People are looking at two or three of his seasons and saying he's got the sun shining out of his a**. Let me tell you you're watching the best Brad Richards you'll ever see out there this season and last. Maybe he has one more 90 pt. season in him but I bet he goes back to his 60-70 point form for the majority of the rest of his career.

He's a good player. Not worth tying ourselves down for half a decade. We have young centers that will grow into 1st and 2nd line rolls.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Did you read my post carefully? I said he's been a non-factor in some games and not in others... Ask yourself why he was on the 4th line? Torts didn't draw names out of a hat... It was a product of his play in previous games and him not being engaged.... He's 20 years old and it's quite visible to see him struggling in 1 on 1 battles and fighting for loose pucks along the boards.... Are you seriously ready to anoint him 1st line Center for the foreseeable future and ask him to compete against the likes of Crosby/Malkin, Mike Richards, Backstrom, Spezza's of our conference? He needs time to develop his game and grow his comfort level...

I'm glad we didn't take that approach with Anisimov.... We worked him in slowly and now he's pretty comfortable centering our 2nd line... He's still working on his game and has room for improvement...

Also, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post

Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Adam Oates is the the player I hope Stepan turns out to be like.

Not asking for much, are you?

Old
11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Richards isn't a point machine. He can be certain years, but others he's not. People are looking at two or three of his seasons and saying he's got the sun shining out of his a**. Let me tell you you're watching the best Brad Richards you'll ever see out there this season and last. Maybe he has one more 90 pt. season in him but I bet he goes back to his 60-70 point form for the majority of the rest of his career.

He's a good player. Not worth tying ourselves down for half a decade. We have young centers that will grow into 1st and 2nd line rolls.
Brad Richards is almost a point per game player throughout his career, and has been one of the elite playmakers in the NHL for almost a decade. Hes as close to exactly what this team needs as you'll come across on the free agent market.

As for the bolded part, the reality of the situation is that is more wishful thinking than actual reality, especially when it comes to a true #1 center.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote