HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats in no rush to add Brad

Old
11-24-2010, 05:09 PM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
here's my take, offer him a reasonable deal nothing crazy something like 7 years 33-35 mill. if he doesn't take it give the #1 center job to stepan. Then save that money to sign ryan suter the following off-season when drury and rosi come off the books

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
here's my take, offer him a reasonable deal nothing crazy something like 7 years 33-35 mill. if he doesn't take it give the #1 center job to stepan. Then save that money to sign ryan suter the following off-season when drury and rosi come off the books
This. Sign Sutes or better yet, Brent Burns.

Staal-Burns = for the other team.

11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not asking for much, are you?
i think in terms of style and type of game its a pretty good comparison. its a bit early to compare stepan to oates but i see stepan playing a similar game just a question of how high a level

as far as how high a bar that comparison i think the question is how many assists would oates have had without playing with brett hull all those years? is he still an alltime top assist guy?

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:15 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Actually, adding Richards to this team -- without subtracting any significant assets -- could make the Rangers a Cup contender. He's a terrific all around player. Reminds me of Ron Francis. He's had a few injuries along the way which have depressed some of his stats but he's a legit 90 point guy who plays a great all around game. And best of all, he's a big game player. Richards, Stepan and Anisimov down the middle would be a terrific lineup for the next few years. That said, I can wait until summer unless the price is fair.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Stepanformayor*

Wolfy, the reason Stepan was playing with Boogy had nothing to do with his play. I really believe that Torts has wanted Stepan with gabby from day 1. I think that he is breaking him into this leauge slowly. As far as him losing battles and being weak, i guess i have not seen that at all, If that was the case you really think that he would of been on the ice in the last minute the other night. I doubt it!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:28 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brad Richards is almost a point per game player throughout his career, and has been one of the elite playmakers in the NHL for almost a decade. Hes as close to exactly what this team needs as you'll come across on the free agent market.

As for the bolded part, the reality of the situation is that is more wishful thinking than actual reality, especially when it comes to a true #1 center.
I could just as easily cast your opinion as negative thinking. I disagree with your evaluation of our prospects. They're young and growing. In two-three years they're going to be real good.

Richards is far from a point per game player through his career. His average over his career is about 60-65 points. Obviously this figure includes his early years. He has scored 91 twice. However he's already played a few of his prime years. He doesn't have a million more under his belt. Maybe one more optimal year after which he'll be a few more years around his normal production, especially after he signs a big comfy contract that sees him through retirement. Don't forget he's also a cumulative -64 for his career.

Like I said - he's good but our kids are good too. They'll get better and he won't. Whatever contract he signs will definitely not look better as those years wear on.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
And I'd take a GM post with the Mets.

Richards will get at least 30 million over 5 years.
terrific

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:37 PM
XLJ

I think it is a no brainer to pursue Richards. They can dump Rozy in the offseason some team will take him with only a year left. They can buy out Drury if they need too. They can easily fit his salary without losing the young core.

He is a great player and watching him play with Gaborik would be incredible. He plays the point too on the powerplay which is another glaring weakness Richards will fix. Richards is not Scott Gomez.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik would be a great first line. They have the secondary scorers with Callahan, Anismov, Stepan etc. Sauer will get an increase role next year assuming no Rozsival. Either Valentenko or McDonagh will probably make the team next year. If Eminger continues to play well they can bring him back on a 1 year deal to play on the bottom pair. They might not have any really dynamic defensemen besides Del Zotto but they can have a solid blueline next year. With Hank in the net and Richards on this team they will do damage in the playoffs.

I love our prospects but you are never going to build an entire team with just prospects. You built your core around your homegrown players like we have been doing and then you add pieces like Gaborik and Richards to really compete in the postseason.

Last edited by XLJ: 11-24-2010 at 05:42 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:41 PM
gotmonte

love LOVE to have Brad on this team. But not at ALL for the price of Dubi, MZA, DEL Zotto, Staal.. Its not worth it.

I would kill myself if I seen Staal go off and become a Chara, Or a Leetch (Not saying he will, calm down people.. I am just saying IF).

Brad in the UFA time would make sense EXCEPT it would handcuff us for staal, callahan, and the rest of the one year'ers.

So I hate to say this, But I pass on Richards. I gave it much thought through the nite and I have to say no

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not asking for much, are you?
This kid sees the ice like few young players I have ever watched ... he never panics...never just throws the puck away....always seems to have a plan BEFORE he gets the pucks. He's got Adam Oates written all over him...its just a matter of playing up to his potential.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Guess henrik's about to be over the hill then as well?
Complete assinine comment, 30 is still prime.
The concept isn't very assinine at all. Henrik is already signed. He's on the team. He's not a UFA looking to get more than he's worth on his last big cash in. 30 is not prime when you're talking about someone is Richards' situation, someone who is going to look for a lot of years and lot of money. People want to cite Zetterberg, Datsyuk, the Sedins, Thornton, Heatley as evidence that 30 year old players can be great players, but thats not what the argument is here. The argument is over whether a player at that point in their career is worth the contract that Richards is going to be looking for. Since we don't know for sure what he wants its hard to say, but in all likelihood he's going to want a big, long contract.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
This kid sees the ice like few young players I have ever watched ... he never panics...never just throws the puck away....always seems to have a plan BEFORE he gets the pucks. He's got Adam Oates written all over him...its just a matter of playing up to his potential.
I dont mean to trash our prospects - I think we have a deep, yet limited, group. I think any reasonable person would say that our Stepans, Anisimovs, Kreiders, etc could and should be top 6 forwards, but the reality of the situation right now is its much more likely they wind up as second line players and not those dynamic bluechip talent that this organization is missing.

To put things in perspective, Adam Oates had over 1500 points in his NHL career. If Derek Stepan has half that over his career, I'd consider it an immense success. To put Stepan in the same sentence as Adam Oates is, in a word, ridiculous.

And if Stepan "sees the ice like few young players you have ever watched," well, I think you might need to watch more hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I could just as easily cast your opinion as negative thinking. I disagree with your evaluation of our prospects. They're young and growing. In two-three years they're going to be real good.

Richards is far from a point per game player through his career. His average over his career is about 60-65 points. Obviously this figure includes his early years. He has scored 91 twice. However he's already played a few of his prime years. He doesn't have a million more under his belt. Maybe one more optimal year after which he'll be a few more years around his normal production, especially after he signs a big comfy contract that sees him through retirement. Don't forget he's also a cumulative -64 for his career.

Like I said - he's good but our kids are good too. They'll get better and he won't. Whatever contract he signs will definitely not look better as those years wear on.
664 points in 719 career games - .92 points per game.

Whatever, we just see things differently. Im pretty convinced that Brad Richards in his early 30's will be a better player than any of our prospects.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Nothing that either Stepan or Anisimov have shown yet should lead someone to believe they are going to be 80-90 point players. Nothing. But of course that won't stop so many deluded fans from pinning this franchise's entire future on them. Make no mistake: this team needs to take the next step sooner rather than later. This team needs a #1 center, and if we DON'T acquire Richards, then this team's chances at becoming a contender while Lundqvist and Gaborik are in their primes rest entirely on the possibility that Stepan and/or Anisimov are going to be all-star caliber top line centers.

And if neither one becomes that? Well, then all these years of "rebuilding" will have been for nothing. That's what happens when you build a team backwards, the way this team has done it. Your window becomes very small.

Richards is an insurance policy, and clearly quite underrated by a number of people here who I would guess have probably never watched him play on any consistent basis.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:34 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont mean to trash our prospects - I think we have a deep, yet limited, group. I think any reasonable person would say that our Stepans, Anisimovs, Kreiders, etc could and should be top 6 forwards, but the reality of the situation right now is its much more likely they wind up as second line players and not those dynamic bluechip talent that this organization is missing.

To put things in perspective, Adam Oates had over 1500 points in his NHL career. If Derek Stepan has half that over his career, I'd consider it an immense success. To put Stepan in the same sentence as Adam Oates is, in a word, ridiculous.

And if Stepan "sees the ice like few young players you have ever watched," well, I think you might need to watch more hockey.
been watching ,playing,coaching and reffing for over 4 decades...Stepan is one of the best young playmakers I have ever seen..........the kid is special. I do agree with you about our other prospects.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Still too early in this to say but if we do try to trade it won't be till the deadline. I'm not sure about Richards to be honest. Good player no doubt but his next contract could be a problem for the Rangers.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Nothing that either Stepan or Anisimov have shown yet should lead someone to believe they are going to be 80-90 point players. Nothing. But of course that won't stop so many deluded fans from pinning this franchise's entire future on them. Make no mistake: this team needs to take the next step sooner rather than later. This team needs a #1 center, and if we DON'T acquire Richards, then this team's chances at becoming a contender while Lundqvist and Gaborik are in their primes rest entirely on the possibility that Stepan and/or Anisimov are going to be all-star caliber top line centers.

And if neither one becomes that? Well, then all these years of "rebuilding" will have been for nothing. That's what happens when you build a team backwards, the way this team has done it. Your window becomes very small.

Richards is an insurance policy, and clearly quite underrated by a number of people here who I would guess have probably never watched him play on any consistent basis.
I don't think anyone is saying they expect Stepan to become an 80/90 point guy (at least I hope not), but I don't think hoping he becomes a 60-70 point player someday is that far-fetched. And look at how many points Jonathan Toews scored last year - 68.

Obviously these Rangers aren't the 09-10 Blackhawks, but who knows? Maybe in a few years they could be.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i think in terms of style and type of game its a pretty good comparison. its a bit early to compare stepan to oates but i see stepan playing a similar game just a question of how high a level

as far as how high a bar that comparison i think the question is how many assists would oates have had without playing with brett hull all those years? is he still an alltime top assist guy?
Adam Oates is one of the all-time great playmakers I've seen in my lifetime. Hoping Stepan becomes Oates is shooting for the sky, AFAIC.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i would take richards for 5 mil 3 years
sounds like about what I'm wanting but he is on track to repeat his numbers from last season. Back to back 90 pt players get paid more than 5 mil. unless it is one of those drawn out contracts that Sather refuses to sign players to. And i don't see Richards taking something front loaded, unless the back end is also very good.

You are more likely to see something like Gaborik's 5-6 year $7.5M as his price. And that'd be a pay cut!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
I think we should get an elite defenseman before we try going after Richards.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I think we should get an elite defenseman before we try going after Richards.
Any suggestions? It's gonna have to be someone for the right side since its pretty much a lock that..

Staal - XXXX
Del Zotto - Girardi
McD/VTank - Sauer

is what they're shaping up for down the line.

I can think of a few...Burns, Green, Weber...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Kane One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Any suggestions? It's gonna have to be someone for the right side since its pretty much a lock that..

Staal - XXXX
Del Zotto - Girardi
McD/VTank - Sauer

is what they're shaping up for down the line.

I can think of a few...Burns, Green, Weber...
How about moving Girardi to play with Staal and maybe go after Ehrhoff when he becomes a free agent after this season.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Ke11y96

yeah maybe, we missed the boat with Byfuglien tho big body right handed shot loves physicality and look how he's been for ATL two big bodies like him and Staalzy would be incredible to see

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Kane One

Well he'll be an RFA this summer.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

McIlrath wasn't drafted for nothing.

He's the right handed, nasty, gritty, bomb from the point on the PP, defenseman that will log a ton of minutes, that is being asked for.

That's why they drafted him. And if Staal and Del Zotto are any indication, he's not going to take long to reach the NHL. If they see he's physically ready for it, they'll give him every opportunity to make the team. Just like Staal and Del Zotto.

They didn't draft him to clog up the defense corp with over-priced UFA's.

They deliberately drafted him for this exact reason.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote