HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Penguins are missing

Old
11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
SlyGuy

vCash: 500

Some say what the Penguins are missing is an elite winger, and that may be true, but I essentially what they are truly missing is... a bargain. In a salary capped NHL it seems almost every team has a guy that is playing well above his pay grade. The Penguins are lucky to have few underachievers but are almost completely devoid of overachievers. Even when Crosby & Malkin excel, they are merely living up to their pay grade, not exceeding it.

Here are some key examples of the types of bargains found around the league (and I'm not including EL contracts):
  • $5.3M Ryan Getzlaf
  • $4.0M Derek Roy
  • $3.3M Rene Bourque
  • $3.9M Patrick Sharp
  • $4.3 Loui Eriksson
  • $6.7M Pavel Datsyuk
  • $4.1M Ales Hemsky
  • $4.0M Brad Boyes
  • $5.3M Martin St. Louis
  • $6.1M Henrik Sedin
  • $6.1M Daniel Sedin
  • $6.7M Nicklas Backstrom

The fact is right now the only players on the Penguins that are putting up over 50 points are being paid $8.7M and that's just not going to work in a cap era.

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Crosby, Letang, and Gogs are all exceeding their cap hits.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Dan Barr

• $8.7M Sidney Crosby
  • $3.5M Kris Letang
  • $1.83M Alex Goligoski

EDIT: beaten to it.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 06:58 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

the main need right now is somebody for Malkin to play with.. like last season. Hopefully Staal can be successful at that when he comes back.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
DwightKSchrute

Even when Crosby & Malkin excel, they are merely living up to their pay grade, not exceeding it.

Thats a bold statement.

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Jacob

They're missing Staal and a couple decent wingers.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Goligoski? I mean I don't love the guy or anything but I think a lot of teams would take him at that salary with no complaints whatsoever. Guys that can skate, move the puck, and contribute on the PP are nice commodities.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

With the salary cap, every team has to lack something. We lack scoring wingers. I'm okay with that.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
SlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon89 View Post
Even when Crosby & Malkin excel, they are merely living up to their pay grade, not exceeding it.

Thats a bold statement.
Crosby's cap hit is the second highest in the NHL so, yes, when he plays as the best in the NHL, he's doing what he's paid to do: be the best. I suppose you could argue that he's playing at Ovechkin money ($9.5M) but I would argue that it's more likely Ovechkin is overpaid.

Is Ovechkin worth 3.4 million more than last year's MVP and leading scorer? When you can get Getzlaf and Eriksson combined for the price of Ovechkin's contract, you know he's overpaid.

Fair point about the 2 Defensemen, and the Pens now need that kind of value at the Forward position. Potentially it's Jordan Staal, but I'd have to see at least 60 points in a season from him (to overachieve, I mean, not to earn his contract). Consider that Roy had 69 & 70 points the past two seasons for his $4M. Bourque had 58 points last year for $3.3M!

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Goligoski? I mean I don't love the guy or anything but I think a lot of teams would take him at that salary with no complaints whatsoever. Guys that can skate, move the puck, and contribute on the PP are nice commodities.
Yeah, I don't know what people are expecting for under 2 mil per, but if it's anything more than what Gogs is providing, they're loopy.

Not to mention, what more do people want from Letang this year for 3.5 mil per?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
With the salary cap, every team has to lack something. We lack scoring wingers. I'm okay with that.
Same here and we are 5th in the NHL in goals with 4th line scrubs.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

fans with some patience

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

fans with some patience
Savviest statement ever made on this board? I think so.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:17 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

fans with some patience
Don't hold your breathe waiting for that!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGuy View Post

Is Ovechkin worth 3.4 million more than last year's MVP and leading scorer? When you can get Getzlaf and Eriksson combined for the price of Ovechkin's contract, you know he's overpaid.
You can't just add up salaries and production and say that though. There is a lot of extra value in being one really good guy. Is Ovechkin as dangerous offensively as both Getzlaf and Eriksson? No. But then Ovechkin can have two other forwards on the ice with him and Getzlaf and Eriksson can only have one. It's not a fair comparison. Neither the Ducks nor the Stars can put out a line as dangerous as the Caps can.

Obviously having the same players for less money would help, but I don't think its something we absolutely need. Out of that list, only 3 teams really strike me as contenders with these bargains: Datsyuk in Detroit, Sedins in Vancouver and Backstrom in Washington.

The Sedins line costs more than the Crosby line but are they actually producing more than Crosby? Backstrom and Datsyuk are certainly great deals though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Crosby's cap hit is the second highest in the NHL so, yes, when he plays as the best in the NHL, he's doing what he's paid to do: be the best. I suppose you could argue that he's playing at Ovechkin money ($9.5M) but I would argue that it's more likely Ovechkin is overpaid.

You can't get Getzlaf and Eriksson combined for the price of Ovechkin without drafting both those players, developing them, and then signing them as RFA's to contracts before they begin to peak.

Take $8.7M to the UFA market and see what you get. You end up with Martin and Michalek, two very good players, but not perennial all-stars.

And you have to take into account when players signed their contracts. By the looks of things, Datsyuk signed his $6.7M contract when the max was $8.8M, Crosby signed his contract when the max was $10.06M, and Malkin signed his contract when the max was $11.34M. Malkin and Datsyuk signed for roughly the same percentage of a team's cap room.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
You can't get Getzlaf and Eriksson combined for the price of Ovechkin without drafting both those players, developing them, and then signing them as RFA's to contracts before they begin to peak.

Take $8.7M to the UFA market and see what you get. You end up with Martin and Michalek, two very good players, but not perennial all-stars.

And you have to take into account when players signed their contracts. By the looks of things, Datsyuk signed his $6.7M contract when the max was $8.8M, Crosby signed his contract when the max was $10.06M, and Malkin signed his contract when the max was $11.34M. Malkin and Datsyuk signed for roughly the same percentage of a team's cap room.
Thank you.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

Fair point about the 2 Defensemen, and the Pens now need that kind of value at the Forward position. Potentially it's Jordan Staal, but I'd have to see at least 60 points in a season from him (to overachieve, I mean, not to earn his contract). Consider that Roy had 69 & 70 points the past two seasons for his $4M. Bourque had 58 points last year for $3.3M!
In a word, yes he is. Sedin's had one "elite" season. Ovechkin's been elite each and every season he's been in the NHL. You're not paying these guys their salary based on a single season.

If Sedin continues to be as dominant as Ovechkin (and Sid) year after year, every year, then you might have a case. But comparing the salary of a 29 year old who until last year had never even scored more than 82 points in a season, to someone who is a perennial 50+ goal, 100+ point man to make a point is silly.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
TopShelfGoal

This is probably gonna start a hot debate.... but here goes

In my opinion, oh boy, the Penguins got a bargain when they signed Fluery for 5.0M. Just looking around the league and picking some random goalies...

Brodeur - 5.2M (getting up there in age)
Miller - 6.25M
Lundqvist - 6.875M (really? didn't even make it to the playoffs last year)
Dipietro - 4.5M (injury prone and not with a very good team)
Ward - 6.3M
Luongo - 5.333M (also a pretty good bargain)
Vokoun - 5.7M
Kiprusoff - 5.3M

Yeah, I know, he didn't have the best start and flunked out in the playoffs last year, but this is a young goalie who led the Pens to 2 consective SCF appereances and only lost 2 games thru out the playoffs in 2008 until the final. I know that other teams would've been willing to shed out more for him. Seriously, Henrik Lundqvist, Cam Ward, and Ryan Miller are all make over 6 million a season. The Pens got him for a reasonable price and recently, he has been playing up to the standards of that price.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The Pens could pay Crosby the max and it wouldn't be enough for what he means to this franchise.

Malkin probably doesn't mean as much to the franchise as Crosby, but what are you gonna do? He has huge offers from Russia and we're lucky he was willing to take far less to stay in the NHL. Paying him a ton of money is better than not having him here.

I'd also say Letang and Gogo are great bargains right now.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
They're missing Staal and some wingers with personality. Need to get a Gary Roberts or Ryan Malone up in here to inject some toughness to the scoring lines. Even Kunitz appears to be saving his rough-housing goalie-head-crosschecking game for the playoffs.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:01 AM
metalan2

This is so ****ing stupid I can't even fathom. Honestly how ****ing stupid can you get? ****?

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:03 AM
metalan2

Honestly do people even know at all how the current NHL works? I mean do they really? It's just so ****ing stupid.... honestly who cares at this point....

Malkin sucks

we need wingers at 5.1 mill a season.

amirite?

Old
11-25-2010, 02:05 AM
metalan2

Yea.. Rene Bourque........................................... ......end of thought.

Old
11-25-2010, 02:39 AM
TopShelfGoal

Geez...you ok?

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote