HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Omaha AkSarBen Knights

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Erack82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Does anyone know who was contracted to design the logo? Was it an Omaha based design firm?

Old
05-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I honestly thought it was a reference to AK Bars Kazan. You know, kind of like how the Salt Lake franchise in the MLS is named Real Salt Lake, in reference to Real Madrid.

That said, I like the name though.

Old
05-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Okay, I'll give.

Can someone explain to my why Ak-Sar-Ben is a part of Omaha life?

Old
05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Jacob

^Hilarious avatar.

"Any luck?"
"No, it's a prop phone."

Old
05-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
Actually, I can see most people around the area eventually just calling them the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights and dropping the 'Omaha'. Not officially of course. As for the Ak-Sar-Ben being ********...it's a long, long part of Omaha history...silly? Yeah...but think about how many historic sports names would be '********' if they never existed and then some new team decided to start using it. Red Sox? Yeah, socks are sure intimidating. Lakers? What the hell is a Laker? Knickerbockers? Ak-Sar-Ben is a fantastic addition to the name and will immediately be identifiable to the target fans of the franchise.

Can't wait for the new Ak-Sar-Ben and Iowa rivalry to start.
LOL. Yes I am one of those who think/thought that Ak Sar Ben is kinda lame... but then I remembered I'm a Canucks fan.

Old
05-14-2005, 09:42 AM
bmoak

They should be called the Ak-Sar-Ben Sthgink!

Old
05-14-2005, 12:12 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Nebraska. I used to live near Omaha for 15 years and I still don't grasp their fascination with reversing their state name.

that's cuz everything in that state is ass backwards

Old
05-14-2005, 01:01 PM
futurcorerock

No love for AkSarBen? It's a nice name to draw attention to a new franchise. I thought it was more ass backwards to see Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake of the MLS. I mean, come on ... a USA version of a mexican team and "Real" as a take from euro soccer. Can't get any weirder than that.

Old
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
No love for AkSarBen? It's a nice name to draw attention to a new franchise. I thought it was more ass backwards to see Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake of the MLS. I mean, come on ... a USA version of a mexican team and "Real" as a take from euro soccer. Can't get any weirder than that.
But you're forgettin names in MLS like D.C. United (Manchester United) and when Miami had the Fusion, it was Mami FC Fusion. They're not U.S. versions of Mexian or European teams. They're marketing ploys to get the Latin Americans and Europeans to come watch the games, as the average American still could care less about the sport professionally.

Adding AkSarBen to the Omaha Flames name adds a touch of class and breaks up the monotony of just namin minor league affiliates after the parent clubs, ala Iowa Stars, Binghamton Sens, Providence Bruins. It makes the fan of an oppsing team what what AkSarBen is for and why its included in the name.

Old
05-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Cool logo, horrible name.

Old
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Safir*

Does Abramovic own this team or WHAT (b/c of the name)?

Oh...and it's a heck of a logo.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Pepper

What next? The Des Moines Eki Eki Eki Patang Cavaliers?

(Monty Python joke)

Old
05-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
What next? The Des Moines Eki Eki Eki Patang Cavaliers?

(Monty Python joke)
Maybe their the Knights motto will be, "NI!"

(another Monty Python)

Old
05-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Pepper

Classic movie indeed.

Old
05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Nebraska. I used to live near Omaha for 15 years and I still don't grasp their fascination with reversing their state name.
Bizarro!

Old
05-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Sabrebat

ak-sar-ben info

Omaha's logo is great!!

Here is a little info on the Ak-Sar-Ben organization from their webiste:

In 1895, Omaha was the home of the Nebraska State Fair. But the State Fair Board, angry because Omaha businessmen failed to provide suitable evening entertainment for families attending the fair, laid down an ultimatum: "Provide entertainment other than saloons, gambling houses and honkeytonks for the 1895 fair or lose it to a competitively alert Lincoln."

First, financial needs were met by Omaha businessmen to provide the needed improvements for the city and the State Fairgrounds.

Then, on the evening of March 28, 1895, a meeting was called with 60 of the most prominent businessmen of Omaha in attendance. At this meeting, the 12 men who formed the Executive Committee of the Omaha Business Men's Association (an organization still in existence) and who had taken charge of the festivities of Fair Week presented an ambitious plan for securing all floats which had appeared in February's New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade for the Omaha fair.

These 12 men became the original members of the Board of Governors of the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. Their journey to New Orleans to obtain the Mardi Gras floats brought them into contact with the Rex, Proteus and Comus Society of the Crescent City (the civic group which organized the Mardi Gras festivities). The Omahans were convinced that a permanent organization such as the Rex, Proteus and Comus Society was just what Omaha needed to add zest to its progressive outlook.

On the train ride back from New Orleans, the Omahans named their new organization. "Why not reverse the name of our beloved state, since everything seems to be going backwards these days?" Dudley Smith suggested. Another member suggested that since this group had saved the fair for the city, the organization should be called the "Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben." Thus, Ak-Sar-Ben was born.

Old
06-01-2005, 12:23 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
Actually, I can see most people around the area eventually just calling them the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights and dropping the 'Omaha'. Not officially of course. As for the Ak-Sar-Ben being ********...it's a long, long part of Omaha history...silly? Yeah...but think about how many historic sports names would be '********' if they never existed and then some new team decided to start using it. Red Sox? Yeah, socks are sure intimidating. Lakers? What the hell is a Laker? Knickerbockers? Ak-Sar-Ben is a fantastic addition to the name and will immediately be identifiable to the target fans of the franchise.

Can't wait for the new Ak-Sar-Ben and Iowa rivalry to start.
You do mean the Ak-Sar-Ben and A-Woi rivalry, right?

Closed Thread