HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller is getting LAID TONIGHT!

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
I lol'd at the thread title. Eller's a good looking dude, probably got a good looking chick to go along with that.

Really impressed with AKost tonight, awesome game from him. Disappointed in LA, big fan of their team, they came out real flat (or we just neutralized them).

Old
11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
but let's keep the "i told you so" type comments for when Martin leads the team to the cup, shall we.
This is not an 'I told you so'. It was abundantly clear that those posters attacking Martin had zero business doing so. There was plenty of reason for Eller to remain with the pro club, and there was no reason to question his handling at that time, nevermind condemning the coach for his handling.

Eller's confidence has not been shot. He's been growing and improving quite rapidly, considering we're only a quarter of the way through the season. Already his role has expanded with the club. There'll be rough spots, but the development is evident, and those posters prematurely attacking an experienced coach had an incredibly poor sense of judgment in doing so.

I see no reason why comments favouring Martin and showing some respect for his professionalism and capabilities are found to be unwarranted unless he coaches the team to a Cup. That seems absurd.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
coolasprICE

I'm no homo but if any hab wants to jump in my bed he's more than welcome

Old
11-24-2010, 09:44 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Beautiful game by the rook and also the bear and the saviour
BEST. TITLE. EVER.

You win the internet, sir.
Love the result, saw most of the game, loved it.

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
latendresse, d'agostini, O'byrne, chipchura and Pacioretty may disagree with that assessment...

but let's keep the "i told you so" type comments for when Martin leads the team to the cup, shall we.

Personally, i think it's pretty clear that Martin is a good hockey coach. Agree or disagree with how he handles young players, the team plays a very strong "team" game and the habs certainly look like a team that handles the "X's and O's" very well.

every coach has their strength and weaknesses, I think Martin (much like Hitchcock) is the kind of coach that believes young players must be held to a higher standard so that they learn the right habits... that can be a very effective strategy as far as making sure the athletes develop a well rounded game, but it also runs the risk of losing guys who mentally can't handle being treated "unfairly".

imo it's a good approach, but only if the coach is also very good at getting the "buy-in" of the young players, and that's where Hitch and Martin are also similar... the comments by guys like Lats and MaxPac, show that the "buy-in" is lacking... maybe it's those players "fault", maybe not, but the result is the same... stunted development caused by confidence being in the toilet.

Eller didn't seem to be fazed one bit by the fact that he's been getting crummy ice time despite arguably outplaying (granted not outproducing) vets ahead of him on a fairly consistent basis. I really hope that his play tonight gets rewarded with a bit more ice time next game, and that if his production starts to come, he gets the ice time and role he deserves by his play, regardless of his age.

this is right were even the mentally "toughest" athletes can get soured... playing well, producing (assuming he's able to put together points in a few games), but still watching other guys do less but get more.

looking at Martin's "handling" of Subban, it's clear that he won't sit a guy that is clearly helping the team win... but the difference is that Subban stepped into a situation where injuries and abysmal play by the dmen ahead of him made it impossible for him to not get a shot, and once he got it he forced his way into a permanent top 4 roster spot.

I think Eller, once he gets a crack at top 6 minutes/linemates/pp time will do the same thing... and maybe deep down martin knows this as well, hence why he's been so reluctant to give it a shot (because what does he do with gomez once Eller has made it clear that he's the top 6 centre we've been missing?)

anyhow, for tonight, let's just enjoy what is surely to be the first of many goals and 3 star selections for Lars Eller in a habs jersey!!!
Good post.

I wanted to reply but I figured I'd read the thread first and you explained it better than I could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is not an 'I told you so'. It was abundantly clear that those posters attacking Martin had zero business doing so. There was plenty of reason for Eller to remain with the pro club, and there was no reason to question his handling at that time, nevermind condemning the coach for his handling.

Eller's confidence has not been shot. He's been growing and improving quite rapidly, considering we're only a quarter of the way through the season. Already his role has expanded with the club. There'll be rough spots, but the development is evident, and those posters prematurely attacking an experienced coach had an incredibly poor sense of judgment in doing so.

I see no reason why comments favouring Martin and showing some respect for his professionalism and capabilities are found to be unwarranted unless he coaches the team to a Cup. That seems absurd.
Maybe you're prematurely drawing conclusions as well. It's 1 goal in 22 games. I'll admit Eller has been playing a lot better the past few games, but let's see if that continues.

Old
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

PS: Gionta is/was also the captain of his AHL team.
O'byrne and Gionta must have been real close.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Maybe you're prematurely drawing conclusions as well. It's 1 goal in 22 games. I'll admit Eller has been playing a lot better the past few games, but let's see if that continues.
Nope, not at all. And the goal is wholly irrelevant here even. It's the fact that Eller's confidence has hardly been shaken, as you and others asserted it would be in the past. In fact, it's undeniable that Eller's progressed in all three zones significantly throughout this season. I am making the bold (ha!) claim that Eller has developed and made significant strides in the right direction in a quarter of a season under Martin.

After a half dozen to a dozen games, you were already castrating Martin for his 'lack of capacity to develop young players'. And you're now telling me that I'm quick to jump the gun? When all I'm doing is pointing to the evidence of what has actually occurred? Your accusations were based on speculation; mine on events that have taken place.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:54 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I lol'd at the thread title. Eller's a good looking dude, probably got a good looking chick to go along with that.

Really impressed with AKost tonight, awesome game from him. Disappointed in LA, big fan of their team, they came out real flat (or we just neutralized them).
Hes maried if i remember well. I heard/read it in a interview somehwere.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:55 PM
saints96

pffffffff were not tough enough

Great game by AK, Pleks, Eller, Price, basically everyone played well

AK is an 18 wheeler on skates!

Old
11-24-2010, 09:56 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Unfortunately he only played 9 minutes but it's nice to see him playing with Pouliot, gives us nice depth throughout the lines. Speaking of Pouliot....he is beginning to look much better defensively these days as well

Old
11-24-2010, 09:56 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Hes maried if i remember well. I heard/read it in a interview somehwere.
I remember seeing his wife on TV some game, it was the game for the cancer kids. She was there along with all other hockey wives/gf.

A hottie she was.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Darth Joker

Eller's play the past few games has improved a lot. It was only a matter of time until he scored.

I think it's time to give the kid some more ice-time, and see what he can do with it. He's earned it.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Nedved

I was so excited to watch this game, than I had something come up. does anyone know where I can possible download this game? I wouldn't even care, but all this eller talk of playing well is making me sad.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:11 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
I remember seeing his wife on TV some game, it was the game for the cancer kids. She was there along with all other hockey wives/gf.

A hottie she was.
Wasn't that Pyatts one? .. The video is on the Habs website for those who wana see.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
On the refs, my feeling is that they kept the whistle away for both teams for the most part, although the goalie interference call they made on Smyth might have been a bit questionable I'll admit.
Maybe they were trying to make up for the fact the Smyth interfered with Price getting in position on their only goal.

Last edited by Thorn: 11-24-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old
11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
O'byrne and Gionta must have been real close.
The question is do they have their father's looks Or mother's

Old
11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
m00ks

This season's been a joy to watch. To have this confidence that we are able to beat any team on any given night is a treat. As opposed to crossing my fingers and hopefully our goalie bails us out or their goalie stinks up the joint. To think, we're doing this without Markov...unfathomable concept had this been a couple years back.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
This season's been a joy to watch. To have this confidence that we are able to beat any team on any given night is a treat. As opposed to crossing my fingers and hopefully our goalie bails us out or their goalie stinks up the joint. To think, we're doing this without Markov...unfathomable concept had this been a couple years back.
Without Markov and a terrible ineffective power play too..

Old
11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I really see shades of Plekanec in Eller, which is a great sign

Old
11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
tinyzombies

Playing Eller with guys who can't finish should make him adjust if he has hockey sense and to power to his own angle/shot some of the time. He's predictable right now.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
More vision than Pleks and his body projects bigger, as does his attitude/grit.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Especialy considering hes bigger and grittier than plekanec, he's a gem

Old
11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I wouldn't go that far yet. Pleks IMO, excluding Markov, has the best on-ice vision on the team. Eller's vision is definitely impressive for a rookie though.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:45 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
ehhhh, they are different centers if you ask me. Eller has that grit, Pleky has that speed, Eller is super solid on his skate with the puck, Pleky is maybe in the top 5 D-awareness center in the league. Tho, when you talk about playmaking abilities, offensive instinct and effort giving into the game each shift, both are right up there and if you ask me, and its what counts if you ask me. If Eller progresses as much as Pleky did, he's gonna be phenomenal.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:48 PM
King peZ
Where's my Cup?

Great title! and Great game by the Habs!! Also..

Today, 03:04 PM
drizzy

Who are we booing today, Justin Williams?

Lars Eller with the GWG tonight

It wasnt the GWG but atleast I called Eller was gonna score tonight in the GDT earlier hahaha I HAD A FEELING!

Closed Thread