HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lars Eller is getting LAID TONIGHT!

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
How good were all four lines looking tonight? The only thing I didn't like was Moen on the Gomez line. He did an admirable job, but that's just not him.

I'd love to see tonight's exact line-up, but with Pacioretty instead of Moen. I like Moen, but I just thought all three other lines worked great.

Pyatt and Lapierre are just so fast that they create danger despite having no hands. Halpern keeps em honest.

Eller was off the charts, seems to work well with Pouliot and Darche.

Kostitsyn should never again be parted from Plekanec. Gionta seems a better fit with them then Cammy has.

Gomez and Cammy seemed to have some jump to them too.

I also thought all three pairs did well.

And the Plekanec power play unit looked dangerous. Technically the other one scored the goal, but that was a rush, not a set-up goal.

The Gomez unit just needs to work on the zone entries. They're fine once they're set up, but they cannot gain the blue line for the life of them.

Subban tried to wheel it in alone, weak dump in.... cleared.

Gomez tried to wheel it in alone, stripped... cleared.

Cammy tried to wheel it in alone, stripped... cleared.

That's where the team really misses Markov. He has a knack for wheeling in, slowing down, gaining the line, and maintaining position until everyone gets set up.

Plekanec can do it too, but the Gomez unit simply cannot right now.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:51 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
latendresse, d'agostini, O'byrne, chipchura and Pacioretty may disagree with that assessment...
Why don't you throw Sergei in the mix also?

If you're gonna mention names, why not mention all the names? How about Price, Pouliot, Eller, Subban, Pyatt and Halak? And you can throw Picard in that mix also. He's younger than O'Byrne and he seems to be playing well. All the names I mentioned are playing very well. As for the players you mentioned:

Lats was called out by his Wild coach for coming to camp out of shape and I wonder if his injury may not be due to it.

D'agostino if you remember when he first came up looked like we had a 50 goal scorer and then went cold. Let's wait and see what he does the rest of the year.

O'Byrne I'll give you. I don't understand Martin's reasoning.

Chipchura between his draft & injury became a 4th, maybe at best, 3rd liner.

Max Pac should never have been on the big club. He wasn't ready.

And Martin has made this team into a contender but let's whine about some young players who didn't produce because of their own failings.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Lucius

Quote:
looking at Martin's "handling" of Subban, it's clear that he won't sit a guy that is clearly helping the team win... but the difference is that Subban stepped into a situation where injuries and abysmal play by the dmen ahead of him made it impossible for him to not get a shot, and once he got it he forced his way into a permanent top 4 roster spot.
Well, Subban was also clearly in another class than any skater prospect the team's had in a while. He didn't exactly give Martin much choice. They've clearly reined him in a ton though, not that that's a bad thing. But the spins are down by 99%.

Eller just isn't that NHL ready yet.

Joe Thornton once played an entire NHL season in the Lars Eller role in Boston. He was 18, clearly too big and too good for the OHL again, so Boston kept him on the 4th line all year to learn the ropes. He was, of course, too young for the AHL.

He netted 7 points in 55 games.

The following year? 41. Then 60, 71, 68, 101... and so goes history.

There is a pretty good precedent for what Martin is doing with Eller and while it's frustrating at times to watch, I wouldn't exactly complain if Eller turned out half as good as Joe Thornton.

I'd way rather they hold him back a bit, then shove him forward before he's ready as has been done way too often.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Krautso

Not enough love for Hamrlik in this thread. I thought he was very physical and effective on the big LA forwards. Good outlet pass and he won far more board battles than he lost tonight. Deserved a star, imo.

Great to see Eller finally get off the shneid. He played very well and could have had a couple.

Good game all around, nice to see 60 minutes!

Old
11-24-2010, 11:05 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It's great to have four lines who can be offensive threats.

Lappy and Halpern

Darche, Pou and Eller

Old
11-24-2010, 11:05 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
habs fan are not prone to being hyperbolic at all!

Old
11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
davenash

Good game by Lars Eller or, as I like to call him, L'harceleur.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The only player you had a point with was Lats. Pac just simply wasn't ready. Martin played him in the top 6 almost every freaking game and he couldn't perform. Same goes for Dags. OB and Chipchura just simply are not good enough players to be on this team.
i don't know what the actual numbers were for MaxPac as far as ice time/linemates, but my impression was that he spent much more time getting minimal ice time on the 4th line than anything else (at least in the regular season)... he said as much as well earlier this year...

O'byrne is playing 20min/game with one of the top teams in the West, a team that has gone 5-1 with him in the lineup playing those minutes... but he wasn't "good enough" to play on this team?

besides that, my point wasn't so much with whether or not they deserved to be glued to the bench/on a short leash, but simply that Martin seems to be the type of coach who holds young players to a much stricter standard than vets... he is by no means the only coach doing so, and I don't even disagree with that approach entirely (imo vets should clearly have more leeway, just perhaps not quite as much as Martin gives).

the problem seems to be with how that approach is communicated, and how young ego's are handled in the process.

perfectly fair for someone to then argue that it's "tough for them", or that we only want players who, seemingly like Eller, can maintain their confidence/drive, despite being on a really tight leash.

i just think a truly great coach is someone who has mastered the art of doing both... teaching by virtue of very tough standards, but also a good enough motivator/communicator/shrink to deal with the young players ego's in a way that gets the best out of them (which we clearly did not see with the players I listed).

Old
11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Darth Joker

Lucius - The difference between Thornton and Eller is that Thornton was younger back then than what Eller is now, and Eller also has some NHL/AHL experience behind him that Thornton didn't have his first year in Boston.

I really don't think Eller should be on the 4th line all year. Or, at the very least, he shouldn't be averaging under 10 minutes a game over the season as a whole. I think he's ready for more responsibilities than that, and his improved play should be rewarded.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
How good were all four lines looking tonight? The only thing I didn't like was Moen on the Gomez line. He did an admirable job, but that's just not him.

I'd love to see tonight's exact line-up, but with Pacioretty instead of Moen. I like Moen, but I just thought all three other lines worked great.

Pyatt and Lapierre are just so fast that they create danger despite having no hands. Halpern keeps em honest.

Eller was off the charts, seems to work well with Pouliot and Darche.

Kostitsyn should never again be parted from Plekanec. Gionta seems a better fit with them then Cammy has.

Gomez and Cammy seemed to have some jump to them too.

I also thought all three pairs did well.

And the Plekanec power play unit looked dangerous. Technically the other one scored the goal, but that was a rush, not a set-up goal.

The Gomez unit just needs to work on the zone entries. They're fine once they're set up, but they cannot gain the blue line for the life of them.

Subban tried to wheel it in alone, weak dump in.... cleared.

Gomez tried to wheel it in alone, stripped... cleared.

Cammy tried to wheel it in alone, stripped... cleared.

That's where the team really misses Markov. He has a knack for wheeling in, slowing down, gaining the line, and maintaining position until everyone gets set up.

Plekanec can do it too, but the Gomez unit simply cannot right now.
Dude... this line has been below-average 4 games in a row before coming into their own tonight. Let's cool it off with the "Gionta is a better fit than Cammalleri on this line" talk shall we? ATM was working wonders before being dismantled, and Plekanec clearly is less effective when split from Cammalleri. Like it or not, Cammalleri is harder to check than Gionta and Kostitsyn. He's highly creative, but you also just can't let him take a shot, even if it from the blueline, it's a threat. And he's consistant in his approach of the game.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:39 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
latendresse, d'agostini, O'byrne, chipchura and Pacioretty may disagree with that assessment...
Latendresse: Got his shot on the top six and was too lazy. Started acting like a rock star and missed practice. Admitted he wasn't in the right mind set and the trade was good for him. Also said that he'd consider coming back to Montreal as a more mature 27 year old.

D'Agostini: Good player that does not play Jacques Martin's style. Works great in St. Louis because they know his type of player. He replaces Lee Stempniak for them.

O'Byrne: Ryan, this is Jassen Cullimore. Your career, at best, will be similar to his. Enjoy.

Chipchura: You mean the injured mess who first had a leg injury that hindered his skating, then didn't improve in the faceoff zone that burned the team, and is now concussed and on IR in Anaheim? Yikes. Blame Jacques?

Pacioretty: Got tons of time with Carbo because Carbo is such a great coach he's coaching right now in... somewhere. Martin tried him in the top six and it didn't work out so he got sent to the AHL, where he's happily improving his game and showing he can score more than 10 goals on a pro level. Yeah, Martin really hurt the kid.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Martin handle Eller like a chief

Do they sell Eller tee shirt at the Bell ,I want one
Martin handles all his players like a boss.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is not an 'I told you so'. It was abundantly clear that those posters attacking Martin had zero business doing so. There was plenty of reason for Eller to remain with the pro club, and there was no reason to question his handling at that time, nevermind condemning the coach for his handling.

Eller's confidence has not been shot. He's been growing and improving quite rapidly, considering we're only a quarter of the way through the season. Already his role has expanded with the club. There'll be rough spots, but the development is evident, and those posters prematurely attacking an experienced coach had an incredibly poor sense of judgment in doing so.

I see no reason why comments favouring Martin and showing some respect for his professionalism and capabilities are found to be unwarranted unless he coaches the team to a Cup. That seems absurd.
i must have misread what you posted...

when you said "Clearly the many posters claiming Martin couldn't handle young players and was ruining Eller ought to admit their logic was faulty now."

it sounded very much like an "i told you so", sprinkled with a little "people who disagreed with me have faulty logic" type of comment.

I don't think questioning how a coach handles young players is akin to disrespecting his professionalism...

he's the leader of a "public" organization, he's subject to criticism, and a message board is where people come to discuss their opinions, positive or negative.

and again, to be clear, I much prefer his approach/coaching abilities to what we saw with Carbo, who had some pretty good success with young players (and seemingly less so with vets).

Our team plays very good, committed, team hockey. I wasn't a huge fan of how we were playing in the playoffs last year, but imo that was Martin's attempt to make the best of a less talented lineup. Watching the team continue to improve this year, despite no real lineup additions, is a credit to his coaching and his ability to get buy-in from the bulk of the players... it's just too bad that he wasn't able to get that same "buy-in" from many of the young players that were on the roster when he took over the team (although it's absolutely possible that those players simply didn't/couldn't/didn't want to buy-in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Why don't you throw Sergei in the mix also?

If you're gonna mention names, why not mention all the names? How about Price, Pouliot, Eller, Subban, Pyatt and Halak? And you can throw Picard in that mix also. He's younger than O'Byrne and he seems to be playing well. All the names I mentioned are playing very well. As for the players you mentioned:

Lats was called out by his Wild coach for coming to camp out of shape and I wonder if his injury may not be due to it.

D'agostino if you remember when he first came up looked like we had a 50 goal scorer and then went cold. Let's wait and see what he does the rest of the year.

O'Byrne I'll give you. I don't understand Martin's reasoning.

Chipchura between his draft & injury became a 4th, maybe at best, 3rd liner.

Max Pac should never have been on the big club. He wasn't ready.

And Martin has made this team into a contender but let's whine about some young players who didn't produce because of their own failings.
Who is whinning? Did you even read my post, or understand the context of it?

i swear, reading comprehension on this board is sometimes appallingly lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, Subban was also clearly in another class than any skater prospect the team's had in a while. He didn't exactly give Martin much choice. They've clearly reined him in a ton though, not that that's a bad thing. But the spins are down by 99%.

Eller just isn't that NHL ready yet.

Joe Thornton once played an entire NHL season in the Lars Eller role in Boston. He was 18, clearly too big and too good for the OHL again, so Boston kept him on the 4th line all year to learn the ropes. He was, of course, too young for the AHL.

He netted 7 points in 55 games.

The following year? 41. Then 60, 71, 68, 101... and so goes history.

There is a pretty good precedent for what Martin is doing with Eller and while it's frustrating at times to watch, I wouldn't exactly complain if Eller turned out half as good as Joe Thornton.

I'd way rather they hold him back a bit, then shove him forward before he's ready as has been done way too often.
it is definitely a fine line between holding a player back so that he doesn't get overwhelmed, and holding a player back when he is ready for more...

Unlike JoeT, Eller can (and has) played in the AHL, so there really isn't a case to be made that the team is "stuck" playing him 4th line minutes in the NHL because he's just too good to go down.

but I suppose as long as the team is winning, despite getting no production from the 2nd line, then there is no reason/need to test Eller out in the top-6, even if he deserves it given the lack of production from Gomez and his ever improving play.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I'm very happy for Eller. I also like Price putting a lid on any ideas the Kings had in mounting a comeback. Go Habs!!!

Old
11-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Funny I go to the Kings board and the GDT is full of whining about penalties when both teams went 1 for 3 on PP, and then also saying the habs would be nothing without Price when Quick basically has the same .930 save %, not our fault you started your crummy french-canadian backup hoping he'd pull a big game out of his ass in quebec.

They sound like Bruins fans...
they've been bitter about the refs since the 93 finals.

The kings played poorly, and the habs played outplayed them but were also missing their A game. It was actually a light night for Price.

I was glad to see eller score. You just had the feeling that it was going to happen soon the way he was playing as of late.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
ashtraygirl

great game by Eller, Pleks, Hamrlik and especially AK who was playing like a steamroller tonight!

Old
11-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Cant give me that crap about the kings "partying in montreal" or whatever

these guys live in.... L.A.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Cant give me that crap about the kings "partying in montreal" or whatever

these guys live in.... L.A.
there's a reason why montreal was named the 2nd best party spot in the world (after Belgrade) last year.

for all the bling bling of L.A, give me a night out in Montreal over L.A any day of the week!

Old
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Old
11-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
there's a reason why montreal was named the 2nd best party spot in the world (after Belgrade) last year.

for all the bling bling of L.A, give me a night out in Montreal over L.A any day of the week!
I aint puttin my city down, but LaLa land is a LITTLE more interresting

but theres no place id rather be than mtl.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:40 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Love that pic. I admired the Coaching staff congratulating him on the bench. Brought a smile to my face.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...5&postcount=51

LOOK AT THIS, GUYS!

Old
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I sent a text to my buddy saying Eller would score today, since I'm not able to watch it.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I sent a text to my buddy saying Eller would score today, since I'm not able to watch it.
pfft, I have solid proof.

I'm a hockey prophet.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Ginu

Gotta say, who was the first person to maul Eller after the goal? PK Subban who skated over from the opposite side boards. I swear, this guy has helped Price, Eller and Pouliot play with confidence. Such a young kid with swagger and leadership, I'm sure he's the ring leader of our young clique and his work ethic rubs off on everyone... mark my words, he's our next captain and it's hard to say that after Gionta was just given it

Closed Thread