HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Rangers' Play In Front of Henrik Lundqvist

Old
11-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

vCash: 500
The Rangers' Play In Front of Henrik Lundqvist

You have to be a fool to not notice the team's lack of effort in front of Henrik EVERY TIME he is in net. Every time Biron gets the start, the defense plays extraordinary in front of him. It's kind of ridiculous.

So I'm just wondering here. Why is this happening? Is it a disrespect for Lundqvist (Remember those reports of the cliques in the locker room last year?) or do the Rangers really expect Lundqvist to be that good and win on his own?

It's sad to say the least and I'm really sick of it. Has any beat writer touched on this yet? I know one ripped on Henrik the other day and that was completely uncalled for. Henrik seems to be losing his confidence out there and needs all the support he can get off and especially on the ice.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
No, the team actually put in a great effort against pittsburg.

It's nothing new. One game the rangers put in a stanley cup team effort, the next game they couldn't beat the worst team in the AHL.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:37 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
You have to be a fool to not notice the team's lack of effort in front of Henrik EVERY TIME he is in net. Every time Biron gets the start, the defense plays extraordinary in front of him. It's kind of ridiculous.

So I'm just wondering here. Why is this happening? Is it a disrespect for Lundqvist (Remember those reports of the cliques in the locker room last year?) or do the Rangers really expect Lundqvist to be that good and win on his own?

It's sad to say the least and I'm really sick of it. Has any beat writer touched on this yet? I know one ripped on Henrik the other day and that was completely uncalled for. Henrik seems to be losing his confidence out there and needs all the support he can get off and especially on the ice.
Tortorella cannot play Biron only when we're playing weaker teams and throw Lundqvist out there for the "big game." The game against Tampa was not his fault.

First of all, I thought Malone interfered with him on the first goal. I said no at first but when they showed the final replay after the game, it did look like Malone bumped him (maybe Mcilrath will help a bit with these situations in the future) and I thought someone should have knocked him on his ass at the very least. Winning teams do that. If you're going to score a goal right in front of their net, you'll have to pay a price (and a bigger one if bumping their goaltender is included).

I agree. Lundqvist won a game where he stood on his head against Pittsburgh and even then, he seemed very frustrated. I do not blame him at all and I hope the coach doesn't either. The Rangers "D" is young and soft. Two periods of play have to be spent in his zone before the team decides it's time to wake the #### up.

Tortorella said after the game he "thinks some guys who were producing are a bit tired and others need to step it up." If he meant Gaborik and Frolov, I agree. If he meant to add Lundqvist to the list then I certainly disagree.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
The Rangers were playing in front of Lundqvist? I didn't notice.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
No, the team actually put in a great effort against pittsburg.

It's nothing new. One game the rangers put in a stanley cup team effort, the next game they couldn't beat the worst team in the AHL.
This.

It's also so frustrating when the Rangers "turn it up" at the END of every game that they're losing. They are literally able to flip a switch and they start creating chances at will and everyone feeds off it. What's frustrating is that they hardly ever play like that from the beginning. If they could play every shift the way the way they do when they're trailing 3-1 with 6 minutes left, they'd have 1-2 losses this season.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:40 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

what I have noticed is how poor the level of play is when Eminger and Del Zotto are paired as the 3/4 guys. Turnovers galore, poor play selection, and less than hoped for positioning.

Girardi, Staal, Sauer and yes even Gilroy are taking the body and clearing the crease.

its just that the other two guys are often not in position to effectively play in front of Henke. Eminger isn't afraid to drop down and block the shots and MDZ on occasion is putting his stick in the right lane or deflecting passes/shots

but overall its quite clear from what I see.

MDZ is not good defensively and Eminger is not really a 2nd pairing guy. At least not a 2nd pairing guy for a winning NHL team.

Also remember than Henrik has been off his game, much like he was at points last year, while Biron seems to have gotten the message from coach allaire to stand tall back deep in the nets and wait for the play to come to him, trust his defenders to clear the crease and make sure to deflect the puck away from the crease area.
Henrik will be fine and the team should improve when, believe it or not Rozi returns.

At this point I would prefer to see MDZ see the press box for a game or failing that Eminger. I felt that Sauer and Gilroy have done a very fine job as the 3rd pairing.

that -4 MDZ took in Colorado was BRUTAL

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:04 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
lol. yea, the 5-3 goal to get back in it. Come on they did play a little bit. You have to give them some credit (especially the pk).

MDZ has been playing horrible "d." A ton of mental errors. I suppose that's why he was picked late in rd 1. Good news is that he's only 20 (I hope that's good news).

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 11-25-2010 at 01:10 AM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Tortorella cannot play Biron only when we're playing weaker teams and throw Lundqvist out there for the "big game." The game against Tampa was not his fault.

First of all, I thought Malone interfered with him on the first goal. I said no at first but when they showed the final replay after the game, it did look like Malone bumped him (maybe Mcilrath will help a bit with these situations in the future) and I thought someone should have knocked him on his ass at the very least. Winning teams do that. If you're going to score a goal right in front of their net, you'll have to pay a price (and a bigger one if bumping their goaltender is included).

I agree. Lundqvist won a game where he stood on his head against Pittsburgh and even then, he seemed very frustrated. I do not blame him at all and I hope the coach doesn't either. The Rangers "D" is young and soft. Two periods of play have to be spent in his zone before the team decides it's time to wake the #### up.

Tortorella said after the game he "thinks some guys who were producing are a bit tired and others need to step it up." If he meant Gaborik and Frolov, I agree. If he meant to add Lundqvist to the list then I certainly disagree.
Lundqvist was frustrated at the officiating that game, he even made a comment on it when he's not like that at ALL. The team did great that game considering they were on the PK the entire time.

Not to say the play tonight wasn't frustrating, it sure as hell was. But the pittsburg game was one where you cannot say the team did not put in effort. Unfortunately in most games you CAN say that about at least 1 period.

Old
11-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Blue Line Monster

It's like night and day. I think Biron could have taken a nap in the crease for most of his games. Against Minnesota he might have faced 2 good chances the entire game.

Not sure if it's because they give no effort for Hank, or because when hank starts it's against good teams and the Rangers just can't match up.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
quoted for truth.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:11 AM
tired eyes

Am I the only one that feels that Biron is gonna play against Florida on Friday (and probably gonna win) and then that Lundqvist will lose against Nashville?

tired eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired eyes View Post
Am I the only one that feels that Biron is gonna play against Florida on Friday (and probably gonna win) and then that Lundqvist will lose against Nashville?
yes. you are. ;-)

I think Henrik goes right back in.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
It's like night and day. I think Biron could have taken a nap in the crease for most of his games. Against Minnesota he might have faced 2 good chances the entire game.

Not sure if it's because they give no effort for Hank, or because when hank starts it's against good teams and the Rangers just can't match up.
Keep in mind it's easier to keep momentum going if you're kicking the **** out of some lousy team.

When you're getting an ass kicking, it's really easy to get demotivated and perform even worse when you have it in your head you can't win.

The game is a lot more fun when you're winning. They don't just slack because they don't respect lundqvist. It's a team that's easily demotivated.

Old
11-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
This.

It's also so frustrating when the Rangers "turn it up" at the END of every game that they're losing. They are literally able to flip a switch and they start creating chances at will and everyone feeds off it. What's frustrating is that they hardly ever play like that from the beginning. If they could play every shift the way the way they do when they're trailing 3-1 with 6 minutes left, they'd have 1-2 losses this season.
I think it was more of the fact that TB let up after 5-0 and thier goaltending isn't very good than anything the Rangers did. The only thing I saw in this game that I took away as good was Avery sticking up for Christensen, which was a surprise after Christs quote two weeks ago.

Good for you Aves! Give him more icetime coach.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Doesn't matter who is in goal for us, we need to clear the front of the crease. Philly never let's anyone get away with that crap.

You have to do it early in the game, even if you have to take a penalty.

I don't get it. it's obvious

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:58 AM
msv957

Not sure I buy this reasoning that the team plays harder for Biron than Hank. Last year this did not seem to be a problem as Hank played 70 games or so. If the team played soft for those 70 games like they did last night against Tampa Hank would have no wins last year... LOL

Its a long season, Biron is having a real good start to the season. Hank is doing ok but more is expected of the highest paid goalie in the NHL. Hank WILL definately come around and be the rock he has been for the past 5 years or so.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:10 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I quote EVERYONE above me.

WTF.

He better play tomorrow, for I don't get to see his highness in person too often, and he's nothing short of a god whenever I've seen him inside the Bank Atlantic Center.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:18 AM
E Nixson