HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Murray

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Murray inherited a team that had nothing in terms of prospects, and had lost Chara and Havlat the previous year and got nothing in return. We overacheived the year we went to the finals, and came crashing down to earth the next year after a great start. I'm not defending Murray, but at the same time don't act like this is all his fault. His predecessor had a lot to do with why we are the position we are in.
We didn't over achieve, we just beat teams that were bad. Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo were easy teams to play against. With a healthy Hasek we probably would have won Back to Back cups. Muckler was here to win a cup, thats it. We were so close for years to win the cup. At some point you got to go for it. Noe we are the Sens of 98

Old
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 500
Anaheim and Detroit proved that firing Murray and using his draft picks will result in a Cup. Let's do it!

Old
11-24-2010, 10:41 PM
ULoveMe

Even if we do fire murray it's not like a gm is gonna come and change the team right away. There aren't really that many proven gms available anyways so just wait until the season is over. And I wouldn't totally kick murray out of the organization since he is great at drafting...just demote him. Wish we went with Stevie Y

Old
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Freerider

Pointless thread.

What will a new gm do, and who would it be? Trades that make a difference don't happen anymore, teams improve through the draft.

What is Murray good at? The draft.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
We didn't over achieve, we just beat teams that were bad. Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo were easy teams to play against. With a healthy Hasek we probably would have won Back to Back cups. Muckler was here to win a cup, thats it. We were so close for years to win the cup. At some point you got to go for it. Noe we are the Sens of 98
Which means... only 6 more seasons and one more lock-out until we're back in the Finals!

Old
11-24-2010, 11:15 PM
bdp

Defenders gonna defend.

Fire his ass already. Pitiful to see what he's done to our once proud franchise.

Old
11-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Defenders gonna defend.

Fire his ass already. Pitiful to see what he's done to our once proud franchise.
And haters gonna hate? It's time to go but he didn't destroy the franchise.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Wham City

I'm pretty ambivalent on Murray at the moment. I think a lot of that stems from the speculation that this is probably his last year as GM. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid from here on out I'll be content. I would hope if we're 10 points at the deadline he'll have the power to resist voices in the organization looking to add when we surely should be selling and setting ourselves up for the future.

The guy inherited a team in decline and all the hamfisted trades and signings have imo been futile in bringing us back to contender status.

On the other hand his drafting has been top notch, even if I may quibble with a couple of his picks. All things being equal we're going to have a decent base to build from going forward which is more then a lot of teams can say; see Calgary.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Hale The Villain

We lost tonight? I am angry. Fire someone.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:51 AM
langcam

I really don't see who we can replace him with if he is fired. In all honesty it should probably be CC over Murray that gets axed. I think it is time to move on regardless after this season is done..

Old
11-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Nager

O hey look we lost, lets blame some one!!!

Old
11-25-2010, 02:30 AM
The Chef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Pointless thread.

What will a new gm do, and who would it be? Trades that make a difference don't happen anymore, teams improve through the draft.

What is Murray good at? The draft.
Good point.

Too bad he also sucks at trades and signing UFAs.

Old
11-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Bilbo Baggins

He is probably ready to go at the end of this year. Maybe he should be replaced by another Murray (Terry that is, not Tim).

Old
11-25-2010, 03:34 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

We could have much much worse.

I don't love the way Murray spouts off to the media (the Spezza situation is what made me even question the guys at all) but I really don't see how his trades have been particularly awful.

His drafting and player development seem to be top notch (at least better than anything the Sens have ever had not named Marshall Johnston) and he's the first GM to bring in real "game changers" via UFA with Kovalev and Gonachar.

I would hold on to him for another year after this one (as long as we don't finish bottom-five in the league) and let him put his final stamp on the team with another solid draft and a decent UFA class.

Old
11-25-2010, 04:30 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensontheRush View Post
Break his bones!
Sweet!'

Old
11-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
I really don't see who we can replace him with if he is fired. In all honesty it should probably be CC over Murray that gets axed. I think it is time to move on regardless after this season is done..
Paul Fenton in Nashville is a name that keeps coming up around potential GM circles. He's shown to be an excellent cap evaluator, manages their junior team so he has an eye on young talent, would probably be cheap and wouldn't have much baggage either.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:16 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Paul Fenton in Nashville is a name that keeps coming up around potential GM circles. He's shown to be an excellent cap evaluator, manages their junior team so he has an eye on young talent, would probably be cheap and wouldn't have much baggage either.
That is my choice

Old
11-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I would hope Fenton would be in the mix when the time comes. I'd also be in favour of bringing Jarmo back to the organization.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:32 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Defenders gonna defend.

Its mpt a matter of defending him per say its some people confuse mistakes that have been made and pin it all on murray.Bottom line is yes he should get some blame but so should mucks most could see this team would be in trouble when the team made the finals.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Droc
Classless

Im ok with Murray going.
As for moves, he made some good ones, such as grabbing Cullen and Sutton, but I think we lost on the Vermett deal, and I think we got hosed(****ed in the ass) on the Heatley trade.
I wanted Volchenkov here. Gonchar was a nice acquisition, but the price and duration is going to fudge us bad.
Bending for Eugene to sign Kovalev isnt a big score for me either.

Cluston also. They guy does such stupid stuff it makes my head shake. Letting the team sit on a lead only to drop it, playing Karlsson and Gonchar on opposite sides and our team being the leader in 2 many men penalties.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Suiteness

Firing a GM mid season accomplishes what exactly? His crappy ass team will still be on the ice anyways. Fire his ass in the offseason.

Quote:
Bottom line is yes he should get some blame but so should mucks most could see this team would be in trouble when the team made the finals.
Muckler's been gone for how long now? The mess we are in now is all on Murray. He hired two horrible coaches, not Muckler. He set this franchise back by making a stupid meaningless push for the playoffs when were 10 points out that could have gotten us a Duchesne or even Tavares instead of Cowen, not Muckler. He traded away one of our best players (Heatley) for Michalek, not Muckler, etc.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
And haters gonna hate? It's time to go but he didn't destroy the franchise.
From a player's perspective, you're probably right. The fact that we didn't have a lot of prospects to replace our lost UFAs and declining players when he came on board has a lot to do with his predecessor, however in Muckler's defense he had a much different mandate to work with and was operating under the old cba where the impact and threat of losing so many of our quality players didn't exist because they were still years away from being 31.

But to me, it goes well beyond the acquisition of players. Its the constant drama that has occurred since he's been at the helm. From the Emery fiasco which everybody attributed to Emery being a meathead, then Heatley, and last summer Spezza. It's the carousel of coaches that have come and gone under his watch. It's his big mouth which created unnecessary drama last summer, which is something other players like Commodore have mentioned before. It's his big mouth that goes to the media and criticizes his predecessor and blames him for the current situation the team is in, while at the same time taking a shot at Brian Lee saying he wouldn't have drafted him. It just goes on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
We could have much much worse.

I don't love the way Murray spouts off to the media (the Spezza situation is what made me even question the guys at all) but I really don't see how his trades have been particularly awful.

His drafting and player development seem to be top notch (at least better than anything the Sens have ever had not named Marshall Johnston) and he's the first GM to bring in real "game changers" via UFA with Kovalev and Gonachar.

I would hold on to him for another year after this one (as long as we don't finish bottom-five in the league) and let him put his final stamp on the team with another solid draft and a decent UFA class.
Hasek doesn't count as a game changer via UFA? Also, in fairness, Murray is the only GM that had the luxury of being able to spend to the same level of the big market teams for his entire tenure. Every previous GM had for the majority of their time at the helm, severe budget restrictions preventing them from going after the big name free agents.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:49 AM
The Chef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
As for moves, he made some good ones, such as grabbing Cullen and Sutton
How is wasting 2 2nd round picks for guys who didn't help us get past round 1 and didn't re-sign considered a good move?

In the short term those trades helped us, but the trade failed to help this team long term.

The only good thing about that Cullen trade was getting rid of Picard. He would have been gone in the off season anyway.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Jackie Treehorn

I'm not a Murray hater, but his choice of coaches is not good. I look at this team and I'm seeing hartsburg all over again. It might be time for Murray to move on, and take Clouston with him.

Old
11-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Smarmy the Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Looks like we'll be sellers. I don't want Murray anywhere near the team if we start trading guys away.
I disagree. If anything, Murray is good at re-stocking prospects. If we DO start selling I'd want him in charge.

What I would worry about is him picking up a couple of rentals at the deadline when we're 10 points out like he did in '08-09. I'd rather have the picks and/or prospects.

Closed Thread