HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I love this team

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2010, 11:48 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Stupid extrapolation: if the Flyers continue their current pace, they will score 300 goals and give up only 200 this season. And, more importantly, they would finish the season 53-21-8, for a total of 114 points and 1st place in the Eastern Conference, 2nd in the league behind Detroit at 120 points.

Old
11-25-2010, 01:05 AM
DjsIzzy

Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Hey, we can dream, right?

Old
11-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Flyerfan808

20 games in we are lookin pretty good. Still room for improvement though.

Old
11-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
To be fair, I sincerely doubt that Holmgren thought Bobrovsky could be this good this fast. The biggest concern of Flyers fans going into the offseason was the lack ofpar a goalie solution... without Bob, we'd still have Leights and Boosh. He did do a great job of solidifying the 3rd pairing with OD and Mez while the emergence of Nodl has done a lot to cover up Gagne's absence.

I still think people had every right to doubt our goalie situation coming into the season. It was definitely my biggest concern.

And the signing of Shelley for his price-tag was still dumb, despite his all-star goal tonight. And adding Walker's salary.
See what I mean. Your glass is half empty and mine is half full. Try to enjoy what is happening right now and give credit where it is do. Happy Thanksgiving. Go Flyers
By the way does anyone else think it is time to move Z to another team and play Wellwood?

Old
11-25-2010, 06:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Devils: 43 goals for
Flyers 84 goals for

Old
11-25-2010, 06:23 AM
chaosof99*

I honestly believe that this is the most complete team in the league right now, with only Detroit being close.

You name it, we've got it. Scoring prowess, offensive depth, defensive depth, very capable goaltending, toughness, experience, leadership, coaching, good special teams, a very dangerous penalty kill, and the sort of mean streak that you need to succeed.

This is a very solid, well rounded team.

P.S.: I also enjoy that this basically flies into the face of the people who were calling for Holmgren's decapitation during the off-season.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:32 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I honestly believe that this is the most complete team in the league right now, with only Detroit being close.

You name it, we've got it. Scoring prowess, offensive depth, defensive depth, very capable goaltending, toughness, experience, leadership, coaching, good special teams, a very dangerous penalty kill, and the sort of mean streak that you need to succeed.

This is a very solid, well rounded team.

P.S.: I also enjoy that this basically flies into the face of the people who were calling for Holmgren's decapitation during the off-season.
Eh not really. No one really expected Leighton to get hurt and Bob to come in and play amazing. Would we still have this record with Leighton? who knows.

Adding Walker was still a waste of cap space, would have rathered just a 4th from Gagne. Nodl stepping up has made losing a top 6 forward for nothing easier to deal with. We are also lucky that Walker has been on LTIR so we havent been worrying about his cap impact.

Meszaros has been great, I knew he was a good player, but the timing of the trade was still weird. Day before UFA?

O'D has been a great steady vet, but I thought this was a good signing anyway.

My opinion of Holmgren has always been that he has a great eye for talent, and knows what to add to this team(besides a goalie), but he overpays on almost every trade and contract, leading to cap stupidity. He does seem to be getting better with contracts (Giroux and Carter).

Hopefully he doesn't trade anymore firsts for the next few years so we can restock the cupboards for when Briere, Hartnell, Timonen contracts are up. If he can start managing the cap a bit better, and keep our picks I am fine with him staying around.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 11-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old
11-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Eh not really. No one really expected Leighton to get hurt and Bob to come in and play amazing. Would we still have this record with Leighton? who knows.

Adding Walker was still a waste of cap space, would have rathered just a 4th from Gagne. Nodl stepping up has made losing a top 6 forward for nothing easier to deal with. We are also lucky that Walker has been on LTIR so we havent been worrying about his cap impact.

Meszaros has been great, I knew he was a good player, but the timing of the trade was still weird. Day before UFA?

O'D has been a great steady vet, but I thought this was a good signing anyway.

My opinion of Holmgren has always been that he has a great eye for talent, and knows what to add to this team(besides a goalie), but he overpays on almost every trade and contract, leading to cap stupidity. He does seem to be getting better with contracts (Giroux and Carter).

Hopefully he doesn't trade anymore firsts for the next few years so we can restock the cupboards for when Briere, Hartnell, Timonen contracts are up
So I guess you did not like the Pronger trade and signing? No one is perfect. However in my opinion Homer is one of the better GM's in the league. I like Leighton, but do you really think our record would be the same with him in goal? I could care less about the cap that is what the big boys get paid to do. I just want to see another cup here in town and the brass tries to do this every year. Not like some teams that suck for years on end and get the high draft picks. Oh well Happy Thanksgiving. Go Flyers

Old
11-25-2010, 07:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
So I guess you did not like the Pronger trade and signing? No one is perfect. However in my opinion Homer is one of the better GM's in the league. I like Leighton, but do you really think our record would be the same with him in goal? I could care less about the cap that is what the big boys get paid to do. I just want to see another cup here in town and the brass tries to do this every year. Not like some teams that suck for years on end and get the high draft picks. Oh well Happy Thanksgiving. Go Flyers
I love the Pronger acquisition, but Holmgren still gave up more than he needed to. (Murray admitted Holmgren was bidding against himself). Plus it seems Holmgren didnt understand the 35+ rule.

Old
11-25-2010, 07:29 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I love this team as well, but a healthy 04 team is better than this one.
Depending on if these team stays healthy, I think this point is actually arguable.

Stats to compare (after 23 games):

2003/2004:
Record: 14-3-5-1
Standings Points: 34
GF: 71
GA: 44

2010/2011:
Record: 15-6-2
Standings Points: 32
GF: 84
GA: 56

---

Mind you they are in completely different times compared to the style of play, and this team still hasn't found the yearly injury bug, which we all know comes for a visit every year. We all know what happened to the 2004 team when the injury bug came to visit.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 11-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old
11-25-2010, 07:33 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Depending on if these team stays healthy, I think this point is actually arguable.
04 is still more epic. This team is a lot younger, but man I loved watching that 04 team. Watched the clip yesterday when JR gets the GWG after Kapanen got nailed but made it to the bench. What a dude.

Old
11-25-2010, 07:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
04 is still more epic. This team is a lot younger, but man I loved watching that 04 team. Watched the clip yesterday when JR gets the GWG after Kapanen got nailed but made it to the bench. What a dude.
Oh I'm in agreement that the 04 team was better, but I still think it's an arguable point. The GF/GA in my post are going to be higher now because of the new style of play. But the records are essentially close. That team also finished 7th overall in the league.

Old
11-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
I Love The Flyers!

Old
11-25-2010, 08:17 AM
MsWoof

I love this team, too! However, we have had a lot of luck so far, no injuries to key players and getting Bob was a total fluke. It may go down as one of those legends that is passed down over the years, the undrafted kid who was signed because some agent somewhere saw him play and the GM signed him pretty much sight unseen. If Leighton hadn't have gotten injured there is no way we're #1 in the league with he and Boosh in net.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:28 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I'll admit that I'm eating crow in regards to Holmgren. Who could have known that Bobrovsky would have such an immediate impact? Or Nodl for that matter? I actually supported the Meszaros acquisition (I think Homer overpaid for him, but I like the player) but I still stand by my opinion that the Shelley/Gagne deals were dumb.

That said, this team is awesome. When everything clicks, they're tops in the league. Let's hope Lavy can keep them fired up. The last thing I want is for us to steamroll the regular season and then fizzle come playoff time a la the Capitals.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yep the team is playing very well. Good job Homer!! You should have checked this site over the summer. Talk about doom and gloom. But I guess that is why they are the professionals and we are keyboard GM's. Keep piling up the points boys. Happy Thanksgiving
You're going to have a hard time, even within the criticism of Holmgren, finding people that didn't think the team would be quite good this year.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Oh I'm in agreement that the 04 team was better, but I still think it's an arguable point. The GF/GA in my post are going to be higher now because of the new style of play. But the records are essentially close. That team also finished 7th overall in the league.
The '05-'06 team was railroading people until the injuries began to pile up as well.

15-6-3 at the end of November.
27-8-6 on January 6th.

From there on it was a serious struggle with injuries.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Stupid extrapolation: if the Flyers continue their current pace, they will score 300 goals and give up only 200 this season. And, more importantly, they would finish the season 53-21-8, for a total of 114 points and 1st place in the Eastern Conference, 2nd in the league behind Detroit at 120 points.
Maybe, but we're at 3.61 GPG right now, and that's like 296 goal pace... really hard to score 300 in the modern NHL.

This team needs to avoid it's annual late winter swoon.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're going to have a hard time, even within the criticism of Holmgren, finding people that didn't think the team would be quite good this year.
Jester where were you this summer when the sky was falling?

Old
11-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Jester where were you this summer when the sky was falling?
Here and critical of the job Holmgren was doing. Seriously, go look through those threads, everyone was completely convinced we had one of the best skating teams in the NHL.

You're conflating criticism of the GM for the belief that the team wasn't going to win games.

I think Holmgren did a TERRIBLE job last year, and still thought we had a legit chance to win the cup at the deadline if he'd acquired a goalie.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If Emery had been healthy, we'd be coming off a one year Stanley Cup drought.

The problem is that the best team doesn't always win.
In your opinion.If emery had been healthy they may have also missed the playoffs. Hard to be better than what leighton was down the stretch. Maybe emery goes into a slump. All speculation.

If emery had been healthy the playoff seedings and standings would have been totally different.

If you want to say had they had emery in the finals they would have won would be a more accurate statement.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
The '05-'06 team was railroading people until the injuries began to pile up as well.

15-6-3 at the end of November.
27-8-6 on January 6th.

From there on it was a serious struggle with injuries.
Forgot about that. They were a really good team too.

Injury bug's a *****, ain't it?

Old
11-25-2010, 09:36 AM
jb**

Quote:
Here and critical of the job Holmgren was doing. Seriously, go look through those threads, everyone was completely convinced we had one of the best skating teams in the NHL.

You're conflating criticism of the GM for the belief that the team wasn't going to win games.

I think Holmgren did a TERRIBLE job last year, and still thought we had a legit chance to win the cup at the deadline if he'd acquired a goalie.
Yep, thats what people are missing when Shooter is called out.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Forgot about that. They were a really good team too.

Injury bug's a *****, ain't it?
Pitkanen going down was rough, as he was an absolute badass to start that year. But then it got really rough in the spring.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Team goes to the finals last year and the GM gets no credit. Must be dumb luck huh? Team is doing very well again this year again must be dumb luck. I call it like I see it. You are not going to change my mind. Homer is one of the better GM's in the league. Period.
Everyone thought we were thin on D and had no goaltending. All his moves were criticized. As I said back then time will tell. So far the moves look pretty dam good do they not? 1/2 empty vs half full Go Flyers

Closed Thread