HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2010, 03:05 AM
  #1
phillyflu
Registered User
 
phillyflu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack

Quote:
Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack

Last season, Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers ran away with the Calder Trophy, earning 400 more points than Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard, who was the first runner-up.

Will it be closer this year?

The 2010-11 race certainly has the making of a classic, featuring a Cinderalla story goaltender in Philadelphia, a gamble at forward paying off in Carolina and a can't-miss defenseman playing at a far higher level than his age would suggest in Washington DC.

So, who will take home Calder this spring? There's too much hockey left to be played to make that brash a decision, but NHL.com's Mike Morreale is ready to tell you who has been the League's best rookie through the first quarter of the season.

Winner

Sergei Bobrovsky, Philadelphia Flyers -- Bobrovsky has turned potential into reality. The 22-year-old Russian arrived in North America this fall as one of the game's most intriguing prospects. By November, he has become one of the League's best goalies. He's tied for second in the League with 11 wins and is ranked 11th in goals-against average (2.29), save percentage (.925) and minutes played (916:31) after stealing the job in training camp after starter Michael Leighton suffered a back injury. During the Flyers' 10-game unbeaten streak earlier this season, "Bob" had a 1.70 GAA and a .946 save percentage.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544383

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:10 AM
  #2
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
It's still early, but I'm glad to hear that he is the leading candidate.

I assume his competition would be:

Skinner
Carlson
Nuevirth

If I am not mistaken Bobrovsky is also second place in all-star goalie voting. I don't expect him to overtake Price. If I wasn't such a ****ing homer I might vote for Carey also.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:58 AM
  #3
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
It's still early, but I'm glad to hear that he is the leading candidate.

I assume his competition would be:

Skinner
Carlson
Nuevirth

If I am not mistaken Bobrovsky is also second place in all-star goalie voting. I don't expect him to overtake Price. If I wasn't such a ****ing homer I might vote for Carey also.
I don't know about Neuvirth... he definitely hasn't been as consistent or better stats-wise as Bob.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:46 AM
  #4
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
I don't want bob to play in the all-star game

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
  #5
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't want bob to play in the all-star game
Same, nor rookie game.

I want him to rest, and I still have a sour taste in my mouth after what happened to Price.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:24 AM
  #6
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 500
I'd like him to get in the game because he deserves to. I think Lavi now knows he has to pace him over the season so even if he does go, he won't get overplayed, especially if the team is still comfortable in the playoffs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:02 AM
  #7
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,422
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Same, nor rookie game.

I want him to rest, and I still have a sour taste in my mouth after what happened to Price.
Come on. People are really blowing stuff like this out of proportion. It is one game that no one takes seriously. If he couldn't handle playing one period in the all-star game (or however long a goalie plays in the all-star game), he wouldn't be in the league. There's a potential for injury I suppose, but if you are going to be too scared to let a kid play an extra period of hockey, you might as well hold him out of practice too because he could get hurt or tired there too. It's one game and it isn't even taken seriously and it isn't even a whole game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:03 AM
  #8
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,042
vCash: 5792
They got rid of the rookie game. Thankfully, because it really wasn't a game.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:07 AM
  #9
phillyflu
Registered User
 
phillyflu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Come on. People are really blowing stuff like this out of proportion. It is one game that no one takes seriously. If he couldn't handle playing one period in the all-star game (or however long a goalie plays in the all-star game), he wouldn't be in the league. There's a potential for injury I suppose, but if you are going to be too scared to let a kid play an extra period of hockey, you might as well hold him out of practice too because he could get hurt or tired there too. It's one game and it isn't even taken seriously and it isn't even a whole game.
I agree with this.

Except one scenario. I don't want him or any goalie playing in a meaningless all-star game shootout and blowing out a hip or groin. Didn't that happen to someone a couple years ago?

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
  #10
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,422
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post
I agree with this.

Except one scenario. I don't want him or any goalie playing in a meaningless all-star game shootout and blowing out a hip or groin. Didn't that happen to someone a couple years ago?
I'm sure it has, and certainly could, but he could also do the same thing in practice or slip getting out of his car. It is silly to worry that playing one period or in the skill competition or whatever is going to be the thing that injures someone because injuries can happen anytime anywhere.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
  #11
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post
I agree with this.

Except one scenario. I don't want him or any goalie playing in a meaningless all-star game shootout and blowing out a hip or groin. Didn't that happen to someone a couple years ago?
Rick Dipietro was coming back from a hip injury and he was taking breakaways in the shoot out competition. Someone put a nice move on, made him spread out post to post and that was that. They even had him mic'd so you could hear the curse words when he did it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:29 PM
  #12
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,786
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They got rid of the rookie game. Thankfully, because it really wasn't a game.
neither is the actual ASG...so hopefully they get rid of that as well

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:34 PM
  #13
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
neither is the actual ASG...so hopefully they get rid of that as well
I'd love it if they got rid of that game. It is so meaningless. I can't even watch it. If they played a team of KHL all stars, though, I'd watch it.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
  #14
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
The whole issue about the Calder is really meaningless for us becsause Flyers don't win the Calder.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:55 PM
  #15
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
I do not get folks not wanting BOB to play in the all star game if he indeed makes the team.The young lad has played well and if he is rewarded with a place on the NHL all star team i think it will be an honor for him to play and represent his team in such a way.The only draw back is that he will perhaps have another nice nugget on his resume come contract negotiation time in the future which will certainly effect the cap hit.He has been a very refreshing story early on, and to even hear his name mentioned as a Calder candidate and an all star candidate etc is something we all should be happy about as Flyers fans.Bob is quickly earning respect around the league and is doing it with great class and humility.Good for him !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:22 AM
  #16
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm sure it has, and certainly could, but he could also do the same thing in practice or slip getting out of his car. It is silly to worry that playing one period or in the skill competition or whatever is going to be the thing that injures someone because injuries can happen anytime anywhere.
Jose Theodore and Joe Sakic say "hi!".

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.