HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sizing up the playoff teams in the East - Canada.com

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Sizing up the playoff teams in the East - Canada.com

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...8-8B549269A6DB

It's Ottawa's year to shine, but never count out the Stanley Cup champ Devils

BILL BEACON
Canadian Press

Tuesday, September 30, 2003
CREDIT: (CP/Paul Chiasson)

(CP) - The Ottawa Senators answered doubts about their character and commitment by taking the eventual Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils to seven games in the NHL Eastern Conference final last spring.

Now, it's the Senators' turn to take it at least one step further - to a conference championship and maybe even a Stanley Cup, although Ottawa general manager John Muckler prefers to be cautious.

"New Jersey is the Cup champion and will be until someone knocks them off," said Muckler. "I always think the Cup champion should be favourite."

New Jersey, Philadelphia and Toronto will contend and ever-rising Tampa Bay should take the weak Southeast Division, but Ottawa is the clear favourite.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Teezax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...8-8B549269A6DB

It's Ottawa's year to shine, but never count out the Stanley Cup champ Devils

BILL BEACON
Canadian Press

Tuesday, September 30, 2003
CREDIT: (CP/Paul Chiasson)

(CP) - The Ottawa Senators answered doubts about their character and commitment by taking the eventual Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils to seven games in the NHL Eastern Conference final last spring.

Now, it's the Senators' turn to take it at least one step further - to a conference championship and maybe even a Stanley Cup, although Ottawa general manager John Muckler prefers to be cautious.

"New Jersey is the Cup champion and will be until someone knocks them off," said Muckler. "I always think the Cup champion should be favourite."

New Jersey, Philadelphia and Toronto will contend and ever-rising Tampa Bay should take the weak Southeast Division, but Ottawa is the clear favourite.
This guy knows nothing, if he really thinks that Buffalo will finish 8th and the Isles won't make the playoffs he's got another thing coming. GRanted the favorites to make the playoffs are

Ottawa
Jersey
Philly
Toronto

that is it.

The other 4 spots can go anywhere from Boston, Tampa, NYR, NYI, Wash, Carolina, Buffalo, maybe even Montreal, Atlanta will probably be better but not playoff better especially with what happened yesterday.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Tbg1515

Oh Please!

Ottawa Was Predicted To Win The East Last Year And Look What Happened, They Aren't That Great They Are A Very Good Team But In My Mind There Really Not Great.......also Marty Havlat Is Holding Out So By The Time He Gets Back In The Lineup It May Be November Or December Until He Gets Into Game Shape. And If You Get Off To Slow Starts In The Nhl Its Tough To Dig Your Way Out, Just Ask The Rangers!

PREDICTION I THINK:

1. DEVILS
2. MAPLE LEAFS
3. CAPS
4. FLYERS
5. LIGHTINING
6. RANGERS
7. SENATORS
8. ISLANDERS
9.. CANADIENS
10. PENS
11. BRUINS
12. HURRICANES
13. PANTHERS
14. SABRES
15. THRASHERS (i THINK THE LOSS OF HEATLEY AND EVN SNYDER WILL HURT THEM BADLY)

WEST
------
1. STARS
2. RED WINGS
3. DUCKS
4. AVALANCHE
5. OILERS
6. WILD
7. BLUES
8. BLUE JACKETS
9. PREDATORS
10. COYOTES
11. FLAMES
12. CANUCKS (BIGGEST SUPRISE)
13. BLACK HAWKS
14. SHARKS
15. KINGS

Old
10-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
2. MAPLE LEAFS

This is zero chance the Leafs finish second in the East. ZERO!

Old
10-02-2003, 01:14 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
Oh Please!

Ottawa Was Predicted To Win The East Last Year And Look What Happened, They Aren't That Great They Are A Very Good Team But In My Mind There Really Not Great.......also Marty Havlat Is Holding Out So By The Time He Gets Back In The Lineup It May Be November Or December Until He Gets Into Game Shape. And If You Get Off To Slow Starts In The Nhl Its Tough To Dig Your Way Out, Just Ask The Rangers!
Yeah, the Senaors sucked last year. Presidents Cup & tied with the Devils in game 7 of the ECF with 5 minutes remaining. What an embarassment .

Old
10-04-2003, 09:04 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI
This is zero chance the Leafs finish second in the East. ZERO!

Let's just start the playoffs now and seed them based on what happened last year

Seriously though, Id say the only guarantee's to make the playoffs are NJ, Ott and Philly in the east (barring any major implosion or anything). While the chances of the Leafs missing the playoffs are slim (b/c of the offense), the chance is there that a team like Buffalo or the Rangers will actually do something. Isles have been awesome in preseason as well. Look for the canes to rebound (very, very solid Defensemen on that team) as well.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
I fully believe the Buffalo Sabres will be an 8th or higher seed when the playoffs roll around this year.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
My two cents

the devils are the best team in the east hands down. Toronto is gonna be horrendous this year that is my opinion, there defense is horrendous. Buffalo, i dont see why people are so high on them, and Ottawa i hope they miss the playoffs

Old
10-04-2003, 12:21 PM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

I know I'm going to get hosed down like a kid who just played in the mud...but is anyone thinking the Rangers may be a threat this year. I just have a feeling. I never felt they would really be a good team in a while, but I think they have as good a shot as a lot of the middle of the road teams in the east of making the playoffs.

I think they will be 5th, 6th or 7th seed.

I hope I'm wrong though, of course.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils#4
I know I'm going to get hosed down like a kid who just played in the mud...but is anyone thinking the Rangers may be a threat this year. I just have a feeling. I never felt they would really be a good team in a while, but I think they have as good a shot as a lot of the middle of the road teams in the east of making the playoffs.

I think they will be 5th, 6th or 7th seed.

I hope I'm wrong though, of course.
I can see them slipping in this season and so can Scott Stevens going on his recent comments.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:52 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think NJ will miss the playoffs, Isles are looking dominant in the pre season with their new trap system and Rangers could burst out at an time. I don't like this feeling I am getting but we may get a good first round pick though.

I think that there is a very good chance that the Atlantic will send 4 teams to the playoffs this year.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think NJ will miss the playoffs, Isles are looking dominant in the pre season with their new trap system and Rangers could burst out at an time. I don't like this feeling I am getting but we may get a good first round pick though.
Don't put too much stock in the preseason record of the Isles and Devils or any team for the matter. Far too early to be dismissing the Cup champions as the next Carolina Hurricanes.

Old
10-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think that there is a very good chance that the Atlantic will send 4 teams to the playoffs this year.
Someone had better convince Ken Hitchcock.

"I learned something a long time ago, that if you expect older players to have better years than they had (previously), you're being unrealistic," Hitchcock has said.

http://www.pennlive.com/flyers/times...9301168772.xml

Flyers can't score, forget Stanley Cup - Monday, October 6, 2003

Old
10-07-2003, 02:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
Someone had better convince Ken Hitchcock.

"I learned something a long time ago, that if you expect older players to have better years than they had (previously), you're being unrealistic," Hitchcock has said.

Not counting on the old guys to score more.

Gagne had just 9 last year and he was injured for most of the year. Williams also had just 8 and missed 40 games.

Only had Amonte for 11 games and kapanen for 20.

Closed Thread