HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Murray

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
If your going to fire the coach, you either wait until the off-season when Murray's contract is up, or you fire Murray first.

No point in giving Murray the duty to hire a coach for the 4th time.
Only if as Murray's boss you don't believe in his work, and it has been pretty obvious that Melnyk believes in Murray.

Murray stated on TV during the St Louis game I believe, that if this team wasn't better than .500 at the 20 game mark, considering the start, something would be done.

I believe Murray would have vetted the possibilities for change with Melnyk already, and has his support. So unless Melynk does a complete 180, Murray will be the guy to take whatever steps necessary, as he see fit.

Old
11-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post

The old guard like Mike Fisher and Chris Phillips will have to be looked at. Can we afford to keep these guys in the fold? If not, we might need a fresh perspective from a GM outside the organization who won't be tied down to sentimentality.
This. We need a fresh start

Old
11-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
We don't know what Murray is considering, maybe every player with the exception of Karlsson, Regin, Spezza and Alfie are being discussed. Only time will tell.

Old
11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Thanks to Murray, the fresh start is coming.

We have Cowen, Rundbland, Butler, Wiercioch, etc...these are the guys that will force player turnover, on top of the fact that they are cheaper than vets and allows Murray to get top notch players.

Under previous GMs we had nothing in the farm forcing bad, bad trades....Havlat trade, Bondra trade, just to name two.

The top teams build through the farms as will we, but right now I still beleive that when we play the game right we are no different than all but two teams in the east, maybe thre at the worst. Such is parity.

Old
11-25-2010, 02:47 PM
CR15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
10 points out of a playoff spot in February, closer to the bottom than the top. In that very situation, explain to me how it's better for a franchise to finish with the #10 pick than the #2 or 3? What sets up the franchise better in the long run?

The funny thing is Colorado did the exact opposite of what we did in that same year. They ended up drafting Duchesne. Not only does their team look much better than ours now, they're also going to be much better for the next 3-5 years also.
better team than Ottawa with a roster that costs like 15 mill less

Old
11-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Thanks to Murray, the fresh start is coming.

We have Cowen, Rundbland, Butler, Wiercioch, etc...these are the guys that will force player turnover, on top of the fact that they are cheaper than vets and allows Murray to get top notch players.

Under previous GMs we had nothing in the farm forcing bad, bad trades....Havlat trade, Bondra trade, just to name two.

The top teams build through the farms as will we, but right now I still beleive that when we play the game right we are no different than all but two teams in the east, maybe thre at the worst. Such is parity.
Every team has prospects they look up to

Thing is , Ottawa is spending to the cap and Murray traded for and signed all the guys. It's his team and his current team isn't producing results as expected. If his hands were tied and he couldn't have gone after free agents or traded players because of their awful big contracts with NTC's attached to them , then yeah but evidently not the case

Old
11-25-2010, 03:04 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Every team has prospects they look up to

Thing is , Ottawa is spending to the cap and Murray traded for and signed all the guys. It's his team and his current team isn't producing results as expected. If his hands were tied and he couldn't have gone after free agents or traded players because of their awful big contracts with NTC's attached to them , then yeah but evidently not the case
Some have a fair amount of prospects and some don't ottawa thanks to murray does have a fair amount of prospects.

Old
11-25-2010, 03:47 PM
senatoilers*

Quote:
10 points out of a playoff spot in February, closer to the bottom than the top. In that very situation, explain to me how it's better for a franchise to finish with the #10 pick than the #2 or 3? What sets up the franchise better in the long run?

The funny thing is Colorado did the exact opposite of what we did in that same year. They ended up drafting Duchesne. Not only does their team look much better than ours now, they're also going to be much better for the next 3-5 years also.
Yup it's all because of Duchene. Not because Colorado drafted Statsny, Stewart, Galiardi, Shattenkirk, Yip, and Cumiskey while Muckler brought us Foligno, Regin, Lee, and Elliot who have combined for 1 goal this season. If you want to include Mez and Eaves, Muckler draft picks from 2002-2006 have combined for 5 goals this season while Stewart and Statsny alone have a combined 19. Hell Erik Karlsson alone has 4 goals and has almost as many goals as Muckler's entire group of draftees. But nevermind that, it's easier to blame Murray for not tanking in 08-09.

Old
11-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatoilers View Post
Yup it's all because of Duchene. Not because Colorado drafted Statsny, Stewart, Galiardi, Shattenkirk, Yip, and Cumiskey while Muckler brought us Foligno, Regin, Lee, and Elliot who have combined for 1 goal this season. If you want to include Mez and Eaves, Muckler draft picks from 2002-2006 have combined for 5 goals this season while Stewart and Statsny alone have a combined 19. Hell Erik Karlsson alone has 4 goals and has almost as many goals as Muckler's entire group of draftees. But nevermind that, it's easier to blame Murray for not tanking in 08-09.
Get your logic out of here!

Old
11-25-2010, 05:41 PM
sens2k9

Quote:

Old
11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR15 View Post
better team than Ottawa with a roster that costs like 15 mill less
In the new NHL.

youth>vets.

Build the team around Spezza, Karlsson, Regin and Alfie as the captain.

Old
11-25-2010, 05:48 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:

Old
11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Murray signed the current AHL goal scoring leader as an unsigned player. That's enough for me to want him around.

Old
11-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Completely missed the point. Colorado had a good team that was having a sh$% year. Did they start making dumb moves mid season to turn the ship around in a lost cause? No, they took it on the chin, kept the inept staff, drafted the best player out of that draft and fired the idiots in the off season. Meanwhile Murray pulled off a bunch of moves in a pointless cause of a lost season for complete futile run. End result, the teams still sucks, and our future is not as good as it could be.

Seriously, replace Fisher with Duchesne or Tavares and our team is 10x better now and about a 100x better for the next 5+ years.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I don't love the way Murray spouts off to the media (the Spezza situation is what made me even question the guys at all)
And how is Spezza playing now? He needed to be shaken up and Murray did just that. Dumb like a fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
But to me, it goes well beyond the acquisition of players. Its the constant drama that has occurred since he's been at the helm. From the Emery fiasco which everybody attributed to Emery being a meathead, then Heatley, and last summer Spezza.
Emery Fiasco? I liked him but in hindsight, since leaving Ottawa, he has a decent KHL year and an OK season going in Philly until a probably career ending hip problem. You wanna cry over that?

Spezza's situation worked out great.

Heatley is a ****** and his NMC handcuffed Murray although I'm sure he could have gotten more and played harder ball with his Royal Doucheness.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:25 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Elliott has got to pick up the pace.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
And how is Spezza playing now? He needed to be shaken up and Murray did just that. Dumb like a fox.
What are you talking about. Spezza had been making great strides in his two-way game well before last summer. Even last year when Spezza wasn't scoring prior to his back tweak, he had already showed massive improvements, this year is just a continuation of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
Emery Fiasco? I liked him but in hindsight, since leaving Ottawa, he has a decent KHL year and an OK season going in Philly until a probably career ending hip problem. You wanna cry over that?

Spezza's situation worked out great.

Heatley is a ****** and his NMC handcuffed Murray although I'm sure he could have gotten more and played harder ball with his Royal Doucheness.
I could care less about Emery. It's the endless drama and media circus atmosphere that's been around this team ever since Murray has been GM.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:47 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Murray needs to stay around for the next few seasons to restock the system. After that, bring in the new GM to win the Cup with Ottawa.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:57 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
We could have got Lehner without trading Vermette if Murray didn't give away 2nd round picks like it was Hallowe'en candy.

He went 47th, not 1st.

Besides, while we all have high hopes for him, he's hardly setting the world on fire in the AHL.

I don't see how anyone that has watched this team slowly die over the past 7-8 years can be in Murray's corner.

We peaked in 2003.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I didn't have time to read all those stupid knee-jerk reaction threads after a 2-1 loss but I'm glad somebody was able to post what I was thinking all along

All we have produced since 2002 is :

- Elliott (decent 1B goalie)

- Eaves (now a 4th liner)

- Meszaros (regressed since his rookie season but Murray at least got Kuba, Picard and a 1st round pick (Campoli) for Meszaros

- Regin (my 2nd favorite player on the Sens but he's only in his sophomore season, will take some time before he produces more)

- Lee ( Enough said?)

- Foligno (I like him, but he can't seem to take a step forward, still a bottom-6 player)

- Karlsson (thank god, but he is still learning)

All those guys combine for around 150 NHL goals... lol

Of course we are an average team (but with above average upside potential, not contenders yet though). Look at all the "good teams". Almost all of them are there because they drafted impact players (most of the time, they picked high, like Top-5). The Spezza pick is kinda far away from today now. Great that we have Karlsson but he is just starting to get his feet wet in the NHL.

You don't build a contender overnight in the NHL, only Detroit was able to remain contending for years and Philly did a great job lately

But you know what kids? Success is not eternal. Their turn to decline will come around for sure. Look at the Devils now. How many playoffs wins in the last 5-6 years? How many rounds did they win? What are they gonna do with Brodeur retiring soon? Lamoriello is a bad GM?

Give your head a shake, Murray hasn't destroyed anything. He just took over a team with mass upcoming problems (Emery, Meszaros, Redden, Corvo, Heatley...) and no prospects to replace those problematic players. The Hartsburg Era just accelerated the inevitable decline

What he did is get some "stop gap players" (Kuba, Kovalev, Gonchar...) while restocking the farm and try to remain as competitive as possible.

I don't like Murray coaches choices though.

PS : Canadian teams don't TANK. EVER. If they do, it's not because that was their plan. Wake up to reality

So, tell me what is wrong in my post? I know, absolutely nothing, that's just reality.

So now, just enjoy watching hockey even if it's not "beautiful" every night. Stop whining, be patient and stop being the worst fans in the NHL.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We could have got Lehner without trading Vermette if Murray didn't give away 2nd round picks like it was Hallowe'en candy.

He went 47th, not 1st.

Besides, while we all have high hopes for him, he's hardly setting the world on fire in the AHL.

I don't see how anyone that has watched this team slowly die over the past 7-8 years can be in Murray's corner.

We peaked in 2003.

lol, you are kinda "weird" aren't you?

You start this thread and blame everything on Murray but by yourself, you recognize that we peaked in 2003?

Do you understand this?

Are you looking to be the new clown on this board? I think we're due for a change hahaha

Last edited by Xspyrit: 11-25-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old
11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Doig

I'm on the fence. Give it 1 more month and I'll have a more definitive answer.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I expect to see competent management and a good effort on the ice. Being unhappy when I don't get it does not make me a bad fan.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
lol, you are kinda stupid aren't you?

You start this thread and blame everything on Murray but by yourself, you recongize that we peaked in 2003?

Do you understand this? Are you like 10 y/o?

http://www.evilgeniustv.com/wp-conte...ty-300x272.gif
We can meet and discuss how stupid I am any time you would like.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Completely missed the point. Colorado had a good team that was having a sh$% year. Did they start making dumb moves mid season to turn the ship around in a lost cause? No, they took it on the chin, kept the inept staff, drafted the best player out of that draft and fired the idiots in the off season. Meanwhile Murray pulled off a bunch of moves in a pointless cause of a lost season for complete futile run. End result, the teams still sucks, and our future is not as good as it could be.

Seriously, replace Fisher with Duchesne or Tavares and our team is 10x better now and about a 100x better for the next 5+ years.
Dude, the Sens fanbase is one of the weakest in the NHL, if you don't make things to improve your team even in a bad season, say bye-bye to all the bandwagon fans which are probably 60% of this fanbase... Plus, be ready to lose money because of many empty seats. Not enough season-tickets holders to afford that. Welcome to business world 101

The goal of a hockey franchise is to establish a viable market first, and not be worried about the fickle feelings of bipolar fans on a message board

lol at the 10x and 100x better exageration. Even the best team in the NHL is not X2 better than the last place team. I don't think you guys realize how thin is the line between defeat and victory and just overall how much parity there is in this league.

Closed Thread