HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier not offering Bergeron a contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2010, 06:37 PM
  #26
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
We still need a holitzer though.

the prototype perefect player for the Habs:

-big (not 6'0" 200 lbs big... more like 6'6" 245lbs)
-hits like a train
-fights everyone who gets too close to Price, who knees voluntarily or not Markov or who slams Gionta on the ice as if he was pee wee sized.
-reliable defensively
-can skate
-105 mph shot (rarely misses the net)

Is Al Iafrate still around?

If you omit the bolded, we already have that player and his name is Hal Gill.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:39 PM
  #27
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, the fact that he can't play defense if his life depended on it probably has something to do with it.

And I can guarantee you many of us probably blurted out the words "****ing Bergeron...." about 3 to 4 times each game last season. That tells you something.
MAB wasn't that bad. He just looked it. But it's a moot point. Picard is a way better d-man than MAB. Case closed. Let's move on.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:08 PM
  #28
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
I really have a hard time understanding why it's so difficult for some local media superstars to agree that his presence isn't necessarily required here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:17 PM
  #29
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really have a hard time understanding why it's so difficult for some local media superstars to agree that his presence isn't necessarily required here.
I hate to play the language card, but I believe a lot of the French media truly believe that MAB can contibute more to the lineup than say Spacek right now... As untrue as it may be, they are sometimes blinded by their support for local boys. I don't hold that against them, it's human nature.

I would agree that the Spacek we saw in the first ten games was terrible and that MAB would have been an upgrade because of what he brings on the PP... But can any bi-partisan fan actually sit here and tell us that MAB deserves to be on this D-core above anyone else right now as we sit today?

I don't think that's possible at the moment.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
  #30
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
We still need a holitzer though.

the prototype perefect player for the Habs:

-big (not 6'0" 200 lbs big... more like 6'6" 245lbs)
-hits like a train
-fights everyone who gets too close to Price, who knees voluntarily or not Markov or who slams Gionta on the ice as if he was pee wee sized.
-reliable defensively
-can skate
-105 mph shot (rarely misses the net)

Is Al Iafrate still around?

Milan Jurcina - from the New York Islanders

1mill cap hit
UFA at seasons end
6'4
240 pounds
Plays well defensively
-1 in 10 games played with a weaker Islanders team
Can hit decently
Can Skate well enough for the Habs backend
Has a heavy shot not quite 105mph but hard enough
Affordable to the Habs

Edit - I forgot he is a RHD as well.

Give us:

RHD

Subban
Jurcina

LHD

Gorges
Gill
Hamrlik
Spacek
Picard

When Markov returns add him to the left hand column and Weber would probably sent back down or could be in the deal to pick up Jurcina.


Last edited by BigHabs: 11-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.
BigHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:26 PM
  #31
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I don't understand why PG would call up MAB's agent unless MAB's agent called PG first?

Doesn't it seem like a dick move? Unless PG was calling to thank MAB for coming in to help us last season but that unfortunately we were not interested in his services?
"don't waste your time waiting for us. Find another team and don't miss on the opportunity".

That's called class. PG knew that MAB wanted to be back so I don't see the problem with PG calling MAB's agent.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:56 PM
  #32
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
"Lord, now let your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation".- Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov

This is great news

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:18 PM
  #33
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, the fact that he can't play defense if his life depended on it probably has something to do with it.

And I can guarantee you many of us probably blurted out the words "****ing Bergeron...." about 3 to 4 times each game last season. That tells you something.
Really, so 34 points from a blueliner is pathetic now? What do his stats say about our other dmen? He was the second highest point producer on the backend. I didn't like his faults, but c'mon... you are calling his production terrible?

Get real. Like you didn't blurt out things about the other players on this team?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:21 PM
  #34
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Really, so 34 points from a blueliner is pathetic now? What do his stats say about our other dmen? He was the second highest point producer on the backend. I didn't like his faults, but c'mon... you are calling his production terrible?

Get real. Like you didn't blurt out things about the other players on this team?
His offensive production was never bad, but his play in his own actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be.. It's actually worse.

Right now we have just about every defenseman contributing some offense, with Subban being capable of providing even more if the coaches work with him on getting his shots off quicker and being less predictable.

Absolutely no reason to bring that trainwreck on this team which is playing some of the best defensive hockey it's ever played in recent years.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:37 PM
  #35
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
I wonder if it's MAB agent that called the Habs, why would Gauthier call him and tell him I won't offer you a deal. If I'm not interested I won't call you

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
  #36
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Strange since I was just thinking this morning about why the Habs should sign him.

That comes from someone who doesn't like Bergeron at all.

However, on a one-year contract and if he's willing to play on a fourth line and then be used on the point on the PP --> why not ?

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
  #37
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Guys MAB is a waste of time because by the time playoffs come Subban will be even better than he is now. Spacek has been improving a lot in recent time, he isn't consistent but he might find his rhythm. We don't need MAB.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:42 PM
  #38
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,075
vCash: 500
Gauthier: GM of the year

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:49 PM
  #39
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudemain View Post
A player who played a year for Montreal is not going to recieve an offer from the Habs... and it made RDS.ca's headlines!? Really?
Bergeron speaks french, of course it's headline news.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
  #40
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
His offensive production was never bad, but his play in his own actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be.. It's actually worse.

Right now we have just about every defenseman contributing some offense, with Subban being capable of providing even more if the coaches work with him on getting his shots off quicker and being less predictable.

Absolutely no reason to bring that trainwreck on this team which is playing some of the best defensive hockey it's ever played in recent years.
You have to be basing his defensive play on his +/- , in that case Hal Gill , Hamrlik and Lapierre also suck on last years stats. His +/- wasn't that abnormal as we had a ton of players on the negative side of things.

I could care less if he came back, because I assumed Subban could take his role. MAB was weak in his own end, but he wasn't as bad as people exaggerate it to be, and he wasn't that out of place last year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:09 PM
  #41
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I have a feeling MABs # 1 choice was MTL, and he told his agent before going ahead with another team, his agent called and Gauthier said thanks but no thanks.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
  #42
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He did a good job for us last year, not sure why all the hate. He was brought in to bring a little offense from the point, and did just that. Did people expect him to be some great 2 way machine?
My my my, how quickly people forget ! He wasn`t the best defensive player NO,but man o man the guy scored some sweet goals for us last year,especially in the playoffs. I would sign him in a heart beat. His D can`t be any worse than Spacek now come on.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:39 PM
  #43
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
What did Villeneuve say about MAB today? Someone told me that he apparently hinted on CKAC that his teammates didn't like him too much last season. Is that what he said?

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:08 PM
  #44
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
My my my, how quickly people forget ! He wasn`t the best defensive player NO,but man o man the guy scored some sweet goals for us last year,especially in the playoffs. I would sign him in a heart beat. His D can`t be any worse than Spacek now come on.
Exactly, and he was the 3rd highest scoring dman for us in the playoffs. Yes, he has poor defensive play, for sure... but calling the guy 'pathetic' is hilarious.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:17 PM
  #45
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You have to be basing his defensive play on his +/- , in that case Hal Gill , Hamrlik and Lapierre also suck on last years stats. His +/- wasn't that abnormal as we had a ton of players on the negative side of things.

I could care less if he came back, because I assumed Subban could take his role. MAB was weak in his own end, but he wasn't as bad as people exaggerate it to be, and he wasn't that out of place last year.
I don't assume anything based on statistics, I actually watched him on the ice. He falls over constantly, isn't capable of rapid pivots from backwards to forwards to catch forwards, he constantly gets out muscled in the corners, I seem to recall a time where he made a pass right through the slot that got picked off and resulted in a goal. He's as bad as Spacek was during the first 10 games, if not worse.

Our blueline has progressed because he's no longer on it, no point in taking a step backwards.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:19 PM
  #46
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
I am not calling MAB pathetic. However, his defensive liability far outweighed his offensive productivity. I don't want to see this team go there again.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:24 PM
  #47
Pedro McGuire*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
I love how it didnt take Gauthier more than two minutes to shut every one up and kill MAB's hopes.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:51 PM
  #48
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
If you omit the bolded, we already have that player and his name is Hal Gill.
Lol, very impressive sir.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:04 PM
  #49
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges
 
Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Worst than Spacek defensively? Come on. Spacek is -nowhere- as terrible as MAB in his own end. Pretty much everytime MAB tryied to do a break-out pass, it would end up as a turnover. Yeah, he scored a goal in OT, but we probably would've won the game in 60 minutes if it wasn't for his countless mistakes and blunders in our defensive end.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:09 PM
  #50
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I wonder if it's MAB agent that called the Habs, why would Gauthier call him and tell him I won't offer you a deal. If I'm not interested I won't call you
If MAB's agent has a brain, he should have called the Habs prior to the season and he should have also called him once again after Markov's injury. If I was out of work and my agent didn't call teams that just had a player in my position get injured, I'd fire him.

MAB's agent should have called the Habs at some point in the past week. Gauthier likely told him, we are not ready to move in any direction yet. Then he probably called him today as a courtesy to let him know that the Habs have zero interest in signing him.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.