HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
When is the last time an AUS hockey coach was fired or let go, though? The last few coaching changes I can remember (Taylor at UPEI/Mongrain at Moncton/Joseph at Dal/Flynn at X) were either because they resigned or moved on to another job. It certainly isn't something that happens very often that's for sure.
Darryl Young was "fired" from Dal just after signing a new 3 or 4 year contract.

Further to the "dump Mike" theme, if you look at the AUS for the past 5 seasons, you will see UPEI and DAL missed the playoffs in 06, 07, 08 and STU and DAL missed in 09 and 10. By my estimation, DAL has missed the playoff for five years running and STU for only two years. I agree that STU will probably miss the playoffs this year, but so could DAL which would make it six years for them. In the past couple of years I have not seen or heard anything around town calling for anyone's head at DAL or any part of their anatomy. This is probably a reflection of the Mooseheads playing here and AUS not being a large part of the hockey world. I understand that.
I would like to point out is that other programs in Canada have had similar results as STU and DAL - RMC and Ryerson in the OUA and Lethbridge or Regina in Canada West are not strong. I would also point out that the Student-Athlete is first and foremost a Student. Most coaches are judged (by the uni) on the academic achievements and graduation of these Students. It is US, the hockey fans who judge the coach based on the success of the team.

Oops, I just fell off my soapbox.

Old
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
cookiecutter

I think STU did let a coach/AD go once before. but I am not certain. Re the press. The STU fan site was shut down because it was anti Eagles. The press posted on that site, but discontinued because of the way the discussion went and really are they going to alienate the coach, when he provides him their info? Lastly all of the other STU programs do very well, especially the club teams. I think the girls hockey does okay, but they are the only act in the city and more funding than most other AUS ladies team.

Old
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
AUS Fan

I think STU did let a coach go once. That coach was Derryl Smith who was fired by the AD, also named Derryl Smith. Derryl Smith, the AD was later let go by the university and is now running the Maritime Junior League.

There is a common thread with the situation then and now where the Head Hockey Coach and AD were the same person.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:32 AM
cookiecutter

What I meant was that He might be a great AD. He gets all kinds of funding for the varsity programs and the club sports do very well....perhaps he was too anxious to coach and took STU when he should have looked for an assistant coaching position somewhere and worked his way up.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:32 AM
cookiecutter

Wondering here if I should spend 12 bucks to go up the hill to watch the game. Perhaps one of the assisstant coaches and Lavigne will beat the Zamboni with their stick.....that would be worth the 12 bucks, and it has happened to at least one of them before.....not lavigne. I may be wrong, it is only folklore...

Old
11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Island Husky

Recall Boots at Saint Mary's. SMU was languishing in the bottom, making the playoffs only because we only had four teams in the division,once Cape Breton hung it up. The MacAdam still had Mt A. After four years he "resigned" we all know what that means. Universties are hesitant to outright fire them because of legalities, they wait until the contract is up, and then do not reoffer of course, but first wait for the coach to offer his own resignation. In a many of these cases, the players did in their coaches, Darrel Young, Peewee, Dylan Taylor, because of bad reviews they submit at the end of the year. The administrations should be blamed for not backing up coaches in that regard, but who is to really say? Maybe someone at Dal was not content with Darrel never winning a championship, but always being the bridesmaid. Probably the only place in the working world, not really that I know but they should be prepared for it, where the "workers" rating their supervisor is held in such esteem. Anyway, in Boots' last year, they were off to a 4-1 start, got ranked, then 19 in a row, lost. They finally broke it in a tie to Dal, then making the playoffs again by virtue of "everyone wins a prize day" were unceremoniously thumped out by Acadia. But those were a long four years, ...For STU it has been how many did someone say?..... I can understand what they( STU supporters )are going through. There were many nights I thought I was the only one in the Metro Center, We`d be easily outnumbered by opponent fans. Do you think he would give it up? Nope go right back to trying the same things over and over again, it is/was the definition of insanity! Which is what these guys are saying right now as I understand it. I am thinking he will resign after this season. And somebody is subscribing to it, even if he is the AD and Head Hockey Coach, as long as he is getting paid, he is reporting to somebody. If he is not, there are going to be a lot of applicants for the job when he does leave...

Old
11-21-2010, 03:18 PM
mjmj

STU trouble

The position of coach/ad at the university level is more about the ability to "sell" the school/program than anything else. The point of if Eagles is or is not a good coach is irrelivant, as he does not have a personality that would allow him to attract athletes, the word "on the street" in the junior leagues is "stay away". The best year STU had under Eagles, was when the players were left over from the previous coach. Social skills are extremely important in this business, lets be frank, that is not one of Eagles's strong points!(does not make him a bad person.....just ineffective in this business) A good ad should be able to more than pay for himself in terms of sponsorship and business involvement....how do you suppose that is working out for him, judging by the crowds and the walking away of the alumni, I think we have the answer, I know several alumni who have suggested that the man does not speak to them on most occasions! This story does not have a happy ending. I would like to end by making this observation, the small crowds are not all about wins and losses, if people like you they will support you....just human nature....so do the math!
Thanks!

Old
11-21-2010, 03:37 PM
cookiecutter

UNB 4 STU 0

nuff said?

Old
11-21-2010, 03:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
UNB 4 STU 0

nuff said?
And it wasn't that close...shots were 39-12...4 posts and a couple ridiculous saves by Lavigne are the only things that kept this from being a blowout.

Old
11-22-2010, 04:43 AM
TomBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmj View Post
The point of if Eagles is or is not a good coach is irrelivant, as he does not have a personality that would allow him to attract athletes, the word "on the street" in the junior leagues is "stay away". The best year STU had under Eagles, was when the players were left over from the previous coach. Social skills are extremely important in this business, lets be frank, that is not one of Eagles's strong points!(does not make him a bad person.....just ineffective in this business)
And finally someone said it. I have heard this before and if your best recruiting tool is your players, what can you say about the exact opposite? All of us suffering Tommies fans know there is a problem because we all hear the stories at the rink or in the communities. The rest of you probably want him to stay for another 9 years and I don't blame you but I for one do not.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:11 AM
rantfather

FOOL ME ONCE,SHAME ON YOU! Fool ME TWICE,SHAME ON YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBull View Post
And finally someone said it. I have heard this before and if your best recruiting tool is your players, what can you say about the exact opposite? All of us suffering Tommies fans know there is a problem because we all hear the stories at the rink or in the communities. The rest of you probably want him to stay for another 9 years and I don't blame you but I for one do not.
Do not be fooled at Coach Eagles taking responsability for mostly nine years of failure at the helm;he is so full of it .

He is absolutely incapable and should no longer have anything to do with hockey at STU.............9 years of mismanagement has STU exactly where they reside in mens AUS;pitiful contritness on his part(as in today's Gleaner) is just pathetic and I do not believe a word of his admission that he takes responsability for his actions and situation with men's hockey.

The continuation of this embarassment is way beyond too much and the previous number of postings sum up my feelings succsinctly,

Last edited by rantfather: 11-22-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: composition
Old
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
STUpid

What a joke. Eagles' comment in the Gleaner... "building on a foundation"... a foundation of what?? There's nothing there to build upon. Two more home games before the break. I'll give them that much, but can't see myself coming back after Christmas.

Old
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
The point of if Eagles is or is not a good coach is irrelivant, as he does not have a personality that would allow him to attract athletes, the word "on the street" in the junior leagues is "stay away". The best year STU had under Eagles, was when the players were left over from the previous coach. Social skills are extremely important in this business, lets be frank, that is not one of Eagles's strong points!(does not make him a bad person.....just ineffective in this business)
Not necessarily, Vince Mulligan at UPEI, one of the most eccentric people I know, and a nervous chain smoking, shifty eyed....but....three AUAA championships in four years, dominating performances, and the recruiting! still a legend. Major junior hockey players have been through a lot, they have seen all kinds of characters, just look at some of the junior coaches in recent memory, that crazy Bill Stewart guy in Barrie, There may be plenty staying away, but they'll always be a few who will show up anyway. At Saint Mary's in the mid nineties, the word on the street was there were enough ex players in the university to form their own varsity team! Yet each year there would be a few more new guys.

Old
11-25-2010, 04:40 PM
cookiecutter

I remember that someone posted that only 200 fans showed up to the afternoon game at STU because it was afternoon. I see 2000 turned out to the UNB afternoon game?? Probably just wanted to see the STU team hammered most likely. I see that the new Rink, where STU will be playing is still over a year away. That might be a good time to have a new coach, new uniforms, new mascot, cheerleaders, some stupid intermission stuff and sell it as a new product. What really confuses me is why doesn't Mike stay on as AD and get a new coach. That is a pretty soft job. I assume he wants to coach somewhere, but what will his resume look like?

Old
11-25-2010, 06:14 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
I remember that someone posted that only 200 fans showed up to the afternoon game at STU because it was afternoon. I see 2000 turned out to the UNB afternoon game?? Probably just wanted to see the STU team hammered most likely. I see that the new Rink, where STU will be playing is still over a year away. That might be a good time to have a new coach, new uniforms, new mascot, cheerleaders, some stupid intermission stuff and sell it as a new product. What really confuses me is why doesn't Mike stay on as AD and get a new coach. That is a pretty soft job. I assume he wants to coach somewhere, but what will his resume look like?
Eagles Stay on as A/D?

No,no,no,no,He should never have gotten the job(no competition)and should not be keeping it.
Another losing season is on the way and once again I think that his choice of recruits are mostly a testament to his inability to assess and land appropriate players.
Read his preseason build up of a couple of his recruits and now compare just how they are adjusting to AUS hockey-They are not!
Eagles must go and qualified candidates be sought for both men,s coach and A/D.
Eagles is singularly and the only one responsible for this mess and does not possess the characteristics to right this ship.

Old
11-25-2010, 06:39 PM
rantfather

Quote:
The position of coach/ad at the university level is more about the ability to "sell" the school/program than anything else. The point of if Eagles is or is not a good coach is irrelivant, as he does not have a personality that would allow him to attract athletes, the word "on the street" in the junior leagues is "stay away". The best year STU had under Eagles, was when the players were left over from the previous coach. Social skills are extremely important in this business, lets be frank, that is not one of Eagles's strong points!(does not make him a bad person.....just ineffective in this business) A good ad should be able to more than pay for himself in terms of sponsorship and business involvement....how do you suppose that is working out for him, judging by the crowds and the walking away of the alumni, I think we have the answer, I know several alumni who have suggested that the man does not speak to them on most occasions! This story does not have a happy ending. I would like to end by making this observation, the small crowds are not all about wins and losses, if people like you they will support you....just human nature....so do the math!
Thanks!
NOT A BAD PERSON!
Just a man whose ambition has exceeded his abilities and now finds himself at his "level of incompetance".

He is what happens in the absence of due dilligence and is appointed by an out going President and confirmed by an acting President.

Eagles personal characteristics is more suitable for that of a Lighthouse Keeper and NOT as part of the educational componant of a University;he neither possesses the required,educational,administrative training nor appropriate background and by ANYBODY,s standard is not the man for the job.....Lighthouse keeper,Maybe!

Old
11-25-2010, 08:19 PM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
POINT TAKEN!
Fortunately,there are any number of MORE than qualified candidates,former Tommies,who would fill the bill,currently assistant coach Eric Bissonette and current assistant coach @ University of Western Ontario Pat Powers,both men having exemplary academic ,hockey experience.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list as I am sure that there are plenty of candidates who would wish to take on the task of ressurecting men's hockey to it's rightful place in the AUS.
Enough of the nepotism and inaction,GET ON WITH IT!
they may be worthy but im sure there would be quite a few more qualified candidates than those 2 that would apply.no disrespect intended

Old
11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
AUS Fan

Give it up.

Rantfather, you are a negative person. Every one of your posts is negative and derogatory toward Mike Eagles. I appreciate that the team is not doing well this year after two previous bad seasons. But, I don't feel that gives you the right to hurl crap at Eagles in post after post. Write a letter to the editor at the Gleaner, write to the uni pres or the alumni pres. But please don't subject us to any more of your daily rants. I haven't been around here for that long, but I have not seen any poster so negative about a coach. It's the same old, same old every post. If STU went on a 15 game winning streak that would still not satisfy you as you have some kind of agenda (not well hidden) towards Eagles.

Give it up, Rantfather. You're starting to piss me off.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:23 PM
STUpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Rantfather, you are a negative person. Every one of your posts is negative and derogatory toward Mike Eagles. I appreciate that the team is not doing well this year after two previous bad seasons. But, I don't feel that gives you the right to hurl crap at Eagles in post after post. Write a letter to the editor at the Gleaner, write to the uni pres or the alumni pres. But please don't subject us to any more of your daily rants. I haven't been around here for that long, but I have not seen any poster so negative about a coach. It's the same old, same old every post. If STU went on a 15 game winning streak that would still not satisfy you as you have some kind of agenda (not well hidden) towards Eagles.

Come on... is this not a place to talk AUS hockey? Unfortunately, we STU fans are the only fanbase out of the eight who have so much to complain about. And Mike Eagles is the rightful target. He has singlehandedly driven a once proud program into the ground. You think the Gleaner would bother to print the letter? They're content to completely ignore Eagles' incompetence. Oh, he's a good man... I don't care if he's the freakin' Pope, it's about wins and losses baby. If you don't want to read about it, stop clicking on the STU TOMMIES THREAD. And I can't speak for rantfather, but the day a Mike Eagles led team pulls off a 15 game winning streak - hell, a 5 game streak for that matter - name your wager, I'll take you up on it.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:50 AM
TomBull

Quote:

WTF is this? Who are you to dictate terms? For your information he is probably speaking for several hundred Tommies fans who have been disenfranchised by the university. Their vote has been taken away because even though they don't show up to the game to protest, it doesn't count or doesn't seem to matter. Once again another teams fan or staff wants to praise Mike Eagles. Why don't you go ask some of the kids that year after year Mike says "they didn't have the commitment for the University game to stay on at STU" and find out why they really leave.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:58 AM
rantfather

Quote:

Glad to see that you can read AUS Fan but alas missing the point regarding Eagles leadership and personal qualities for the jobs.
I do not believe that he is a bad person,as you are suggesting,and my only agenda is to see that appropriate leadership for Men.s hockey and Athletics be put in place sooner than later and failing to comment on the obvious does nothing to advance that idea.
Sorry that you are pissed off but take off the blinders and see the real picture!

Old
11-26-2010, 10:27 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
Come on... is this not a place to talk AUS hockey? Unfortunately, we STU fans are the only fanbase out of the eight who have so much to complain about. And Mike Eagles is the rightful target. He has singlehandedly driven a once proud program into the ground. You think the Gleaner would bother to print the letter? They're content to completely ignore Eagles' incompetence. Oh, he's a good man... I don't care if he's the freakin' Pope, it's about wins and losses baby. If you don't want to read about it, stop clicking on the STU TOMMIES THREAD. And I can't speak for rantfather, but the day a Mike Eagles led team pulls off a 15 game winning streak - hell, a 5 game streak for that matter - name your wager, I'll take you up on it.
Thank you "STUpid" poster for your submission. AUSfan prefers to shoot the messenger instead of considering the message.
Eagles inherited a 1st place team from Coach Smith and has taken it from 1st to worst with 9 years of insufficient recruiting and retention of quality recruits.
It should be noted here that Brian Wright,former STU recruiter recommended enough quality recruits that would make up a couple of AUS Championship teams and Eagles failed to land even "one". Mr Wright has left his post for many reasons which won't be detailed at this moment,sufficient to say that a MAJOR resource "has left the building".
Eagles continues to re-arrange the deck chairs on "The Titanic" and should be immediately removed of the responsibilities.......before our image is permanently damaged.

Old
11-26-2010, 10:39 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
The Gleaner would print the letter. But we have a policy where you have to sign your name to what you write. Seems people are reluctant to do that. It's easier to come on here and ***** anonymously.
Seems to me the Friends of the Tommies orchestrated the ouster of Derryl Smith because they wanted Eagles to take the program...former NHLer, good coach, would have the contacts etc...
I suggested a couple of years ago that they should bring Tom Coolen in to recruit and rebuild the program...that even if they were being beaten regularly by UNB, he would keep it interesting and keep the rivalry stoked. It fell on deaf ears.
I asked Eagles as recently as a couple of weeks ago whether he had too much on his plate, what with the investigation into the hazing incident etc, whether he had enough time to devote to recruiting...he said he ""wasn't going to agree with that statement."
Face it...your witch hunt is being conducted in cyberspace...Lawrence Durling and Dennis Cochrane don't read these boards. Their mentality is that athletics is a little sandbox, Mike Eagles is in charge of the sandbox and let him run it while we do more important things.
That's the climate you're dealing in.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:38 AM
AUS Fan

Thank you Gleanerguy for somewhat validating my comments. Contrary to some replies to my last post, I am not saying the Eagles is a nice guy, or that the team is doing great under his leadership (or lack of). I said earlier and you basically said the same thing, that Athletics are not of interest to the administration. Hence, as long as the athletes are graduating in reasonable numbers and not ****** an pillaging around town, the pres does not care.

If rantfather is speaking for untold hundreds of people, perhaps those people should come forward and speak out with names attached. They might get more attention from the uni.

Last point(s): I'm not dictating terms. But I'm sure that you will agree that it is tiresome to see tha same post (worded differently) day after day. I agree that this is a place for AUS hockey and I like to look at all the team threads. But again I would like to see a post about how well STU played or potential recruits or the new rink or anything but constant ranting which will amount to nothing.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:17 PM
STUpid

AUS Fan - if there were good games to talk about, or any thought of potential Christmas recruits, I for one would LOVE to talk about more hopeful things. But much like I don't bother to read the UNB thread (I don't speak squirrel), if you don't want to read it, don't click the thread. I agree, we shouldn't be putting our rants out on the main threads. But in here, as STU fans, our rants are all we have.

Gleanerguy - I'll admit to exaggerating whether the letter would get printed. And you're right, the stink goes higher than Eagles. I can't understand it though. With all of the money involved in athletics, why not insist upon excellence? I just can't believe in the big picture that STU's financial investment in men's hockey is that much less than UNB's, and UNB by insisting that its money is well-spent, sees a return in attendance figures and corporate sponsorships. Isn't STU spending a couple million dollars on the new rink? Why bother throwing good money after bad?

Closed Thread