HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
  #101
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Instead of buying out Drury's contract, why don't we trade him to a team like Atlanta or another one of those salary floor teams so they can buy him out? I know Drury has a no trade clause, but the Rangers can tell him that we are going to buy out his contract unless he gets traded.
No movement clause. You think Drury is going to approve a trade to a team that will see him bought out and lose him money?

yeah...

Trading Drury is a pipe dream. Never gonna happen.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
  #102
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Trading Drury is a pipe dream. Never gonna happen.
And it doesn't need to happen.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:00 AM
  #103
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
Mike Heika in the Dallas Morning News

Quote:
That means if the Stars could start up extension talks, they might be in the ballpark of seven years at $7 million a season or more. That's just speculation on my part, but it's something Richards could probably command as an unrestricted free agent in the summer (which he will be if he does not sign an extension). Would Richards give the Stars a hometown discount? Would the Stars be open to a long-term contract (10 years?) to lower the cap hit and salary hit? It's impossible to know, because they can't even get into serious negotiations with the ownership situation what it is.

Nieuwendyk said he has talked to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the situation, and was told that both the NHL and the lenders understand the situation and could possibly open the door for discussions once they sort through whether or not the lenders want to keep the team for the rest of the season and whether or not they might name an interim president.

``I've talked to Gary Bettman about the issues, and I did ask that if the lenders are carrying us to summer time, then we have some important things we need to talk about with them,'' Nieuwendyk said. ``He is well aware of everything, and I think the lenders are also aware how important this could be for our team.'
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...g-for-a-1.html

Nieuwendyk wants to re-sign Richards. The fans want Richards to stay. Richards on the team makes that a more marketable team to sell. They are paying Richards $7.8 million this season. It's not like Richards is making $5 million and he wants $7 million.

Richards is represented by Pat Morris. Sean Avery's agent. Same agency as Wade Redden. After what happened with Reds,they're going to want a NMC.

Speculation on Heika's part(he has been around that team for a long time) but 7 years for at least $7 million per?So much for Richy taking less

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
  #104
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,629
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
And it doesn't need to happen.
Kinda does.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:22 AM
  #105
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Speculation on Heika's part(he has been around that team for a long time) but 7 years for at least $7 million per?So much for Richy taking less
Richards will be paid for sure, and so will every other big UFA the coming 3-4 years. There will be extremely few good players on the market in the future...

If you get a chance to get a player like Kova or LeCav, you better jump on it because those chances will not come around all that often...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:25 AM
  #106
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,629
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Richards will be paid for sure, and so will every other big UFA the coming 3-4 years. There will be extremely few good players on the market in the future...

If you get a chance to get a player like Kova or LeCav, you better jump on it because those chances will not come around all that often...
Lecavalier? No thanks. 10 years at 7 mil for a player who is declining due to injuries is bad value.

And Kovalchuk is the anit-christ of what this team is preaching. I am SO glad we didn't pick him up.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
  #107
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Mike Heika in the Dallas Morning News



http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...g-for-a-1.html

Nieuwendyk wants to re-sign Richards. The fans want Richards to stay. Richards on the team makes that a more marketable team to sell. They are paying Richards $7.8 million this season. It's not like Richards is making $5 million and he wants $7 million.

Richards is represented by Pat Morris. Sean Avery's agent. Same agency as Wade Redden. After what happened with Reds,they're going to want a NMC.

Speculation on Heika's part(he has been around that team for a long time) but 7 years for at least $7 million per?So much for Richy taking less
Once again, who is going to pay him that much? Toronto can try, but my opinion is that he has zero interest in playing for Toronto (why would any top player want to sign there right now, that team is going nowhere), which means it's probably going to be between the Rangers and the Kings. I don't know if it makes sense for the Kings to commit that much money to him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
  #108
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Kinda does.
Why? His cap hit is $7+ - who's going to take that - and has a year left on his contract after this year. There's no reason to.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
  #109
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,629
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Why? His cap hit is $7+ - who's going to take that - and has a year left on his contract after this year. There's no reason to.
Oh, I thought you meant if we had the opportunity to trade him, it doesn't need to happen.

My bad.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:37 AM
  #110
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR 2011/2012

FORWARDS
Stopgap FA ($3.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.400m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Chris Kreider ($1.850m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.800m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
7th D ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,741,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$2,691,667

Houston - we have a problem. And a serious one at that.
If we decide to go the internal way and keep all our talent - which most people seem to want - ---
OK we are thereby resigning The BAR line at numbers like I have above; signing Boyle + Sauer on shorter deals, sign Kreider on ELC, bring up MZA, Grachev and McD, and sign only TWO free agent (I will take Sather salmonfishing personally at my expense on July 1 if this is necessary) in the offseason (stopgap LW + 7th D) - we will still be in cap hell. And quite deep in it - I must add.
The bonus cushion can currently not be used next year - meaning we still need to shed over $ 5 Million off this presumtive homegrown roster to fit the capspace. That is the truth.

My shabby alternatives are:

Not resigning the BAR line. Not a good idea.

Trading Rozie for a cheaper D. Possible as his salary is only 3 million next year - but there is not much on the FA market that will come substantially cheaper that can log his minutes with this result. Packaging Rozie + better prospect/higher pix for a low salary younger 2/3 roster D is a pipe dream, but Sather might be able to pull something like this off. I do think he is a goner next year with the lower salary. But he needs to be replaced...

Getting rid of Drurys contract through trade, buyout or retirement. Extremely unlikely. Forget it - even though this would be by far the best solution.

Getting rid of Avery. Might be one idea Sather is pondering... But are there takers? Does Dolan wanna pay him to play in Flin Flon?

Trading one of our only 2 allstars in Hank or Gabby. Not really what we have in mind???...

Substituting McD, Grachev or MZAwith Weise/other alternative on the team - Sure why not, will not seriously change the bleak cap situation though...

Trading Dubinsky at the deadline - for a number 1 pick plus higher prospect. I hate to say this - but this is a scenario I could see developing.... Sather definitely holds grudges and he might wanna cash in knowing Dubi will be tough to resign by a lowballoffer considering "history"...

Not signing a stopgap FA - This might be a necessity purely for cap reasons - ie NOT to sign anyone and work from within. Do we have the depth to pull this off? Might have to see anyhow. As of now --- I could see Frolov, Prospal, Feds, Gilroy and Eminger all being goners - and Christensen dealt - but who knows? This is really not sure either way...

Hoping the salary cap goes up enough to swallow our salary needs. FAT CHANCE and probably what Cigar man dreams about - but slimly possible. Not much to hope for though...

Trading some of the other young core (Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer, AA, Cally, Boyle) - No point really as their replacements will probably not create enough space anyway.

Cap hell. Get used to it. Roster turnover. Coming --- again. Bad Management - you bet.
AND BTW - completely forget about trying to getting Richards, Vinny L or any other pipedreams you have mentioned around here. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! No Space. Is that so hard to fathom?


Last edited by BBKers: 11-25-2010 at 04:48 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:04 AM
  #111
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR 2011/2012

FORWARDS
Stopgap FA ($3.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.400m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Chris Kreider ($1.850m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.800m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
7th D ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,741,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$2,691,667

Houston - we have a problem. And a serious one at that.
If we decide to go the internal way and keep all our talent - which most people seem to want - ---
OK we are thereby resigning The BAR line at numbers like I have above; signing Boyle + Sauer on shorter deals, sign Kreider on ELC, bring up MZA, Grachev and McD, and sign only TWO free agent (I will take Sather salmonfishing personally at my expense on July 1 if this is necessary) in the offseason (stopgap LW + 7th D) - we will still be in cap hell. And quite deep in it - I must add.
The bonus cushion can currently not be used next year - meaning we still need to shed over $ 5 Million off this presumtive homegrown roster to fit the capspace. That is the truth.

My shabby alternatives are:

Not resigning the BAR line. Not a good idea.

Trading Rozie for a cheaper D. Possible as his salary is only 3 million next year - but there is not much on the FA market that will come substantially cheaper that can log his minutes with this result. Packaging Rozie + better prospect/higher pix for a low salary younger 2/3 roster D is a pipe dream, but Sather might be able to pull something like this off. I do think he is a goner next year with the lower salary. But he needs to be replaced...

Getting rid of Drurys contract through trade, buyout or retirement. Extremely unlikely. Forget it - even though this would be by far the best solution.

Getting rid of Avery. Might be one idea Sather is pondering... But are there takers? Does Dolan wanna pay him to play in Flin Flon?

Trading one of our only 2 allstars in Hank or Gabby. Not really what we have in mind???...

Substituting McD, Grachev or MZAwith Weise/other alternative on the team - Sure why not, will not seriously change the bleak cap situation though...

Trading Dubinsky at the deadline - for a number 1 pick plus higher prospect. I hate to say this - but this is a scenario I could see developing.... Sather definitely holds grudges and he might wanna cash in knowing Dubi will be tough to resign by a lowballoffer considering "history"...

Not signing a stopgap FA - This might be a necessity purely for cap reasons - ie NOT to sign anyone and work from within. Do we have the depth to pull this off? Might have to see anyhow. As of now --- I could see Frolov, Prospal, Feds, Gilroy and Eminger all being goners - and Christensen dealt - but who knows? This is really not sure either way...

Hoping the salary cap goes up enough to swallow our salary needs. FAT CHANCE and probably what Cigar man dreams about - but slimly possible. Not much to hope for though...

Trading some of the other young core (Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer, AA, Cally, Boyle) - No point really as their replacements will probably not create enough space anyway.

Cap hell. Get used to it. Roster turnover. Coming --- again. Bad Management - you bet.
AND BTW - completely forget about trying to getting Richards, Vinny L or any other pipedreams you have mentioned around here. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! No Space. Is that so hard to fathom?
No problem?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.100m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.300m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,941,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,458,333

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:00 AM
  #112
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
No problem?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.100m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.300m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,941,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,458,333
first - that is a 21 man roster. That is not going to happen. Look at this year. Play Torts hockey and injuries will come. If Sauer is going to be the lone option as 6th D given his injury history --- then BAM - things will go down.
second - you cannot use the Bonus cushion next year if there is no CBA in place

= you still are over the cap with icing only 21 men on the squad. You also had raises for RFAs $1.150M lower than me. This is something that at least I believe is very uncertain. But here only time will tell.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:37 AM
  #113
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
first - that is a 21 man roster. That is not going to happen. Look at this year. Play Torts hockey and injuries will come. If Sauer is going to be the lone option as 6th D given his injury history --- then BAM - things will go down.
second - you cannot use the Bonus cushion next year if there is no CBA in place

= you still are over the cap with icing only 21 men on the squad. You also had raises for RFAs $1.150M lower than me. This is something that at least I believe is very uncertain. But here only time will tell.
That is without the bonus cushion. I know you can't use it because of the lack of a CBA. And I still have plenty of cap space for a 7th defenseman or a 13th forward. Chill.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:56 PM
  #114
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
I have a very different opinion on Drury and the whole no movement clause as I don’t see him “untradeable”. To me, Chris Drury is a total stand up guy. A class act. And if...Just if Glen found a trading partner for Drury and went to him and told him that the only way to keep the core youth in place is to move him...I just don't see Drury as the kind of guy that says "I’m not leaving". Chris made a huge payday here. A payday he was given by Sather and the Rangers organization. For that, I am certain the guy is thankful. But, by the numbers let’s face it he didn't live up to expectations. The funny thing is, I still have a ton of respect for the guy and I don't dislike him in anyway. I still appreciate his game, and the attributes he has brought to the table. But...If Chris was asked to give back to the club in the form of letting the club move him as it is the only way to put a better product on the ice next season, then I truly think he will do the right thing.

But...How does Glen move Chris and the big salary? To me, the time to strike is at this year’s trade deadline. Here's a few ideas of what I had in mind...

Chris straight up is an asset to any club. But of course the exorbitant salary makes him a liability. So, what if Chris and salary came with an asset in the form of a prospect or a draft pick? Say someone with a relatively large salary, but was a UFA at the end of the season.

So here’s a few of my thoughts specifically to Move Chris at this year’s trade deadline. Keep in mind the premise here is, the Rangers sweeten the deals with assets to take on players who are eligible for UFA at seasons end with the idea that they can now resign the core members along with a Brad Richards to play with Gabby.

Option 1
Chris Drury, plus 2011 2nd round selection to Pho in exchange for Ed Jovonovski. The salary is very similar, but…Jovo is a free agent at the end of the season. In a straight trade, Pho loses here as next season Pho has 35 million in cap space. So for a cash strapped team that needs to reach the cap floor, appealing may be a guy with a larger cap hit that his actually dollar amount owed. Next year Chris makes only 5 million. GM favors also come in handy here as well. There is a relationship between Maloney and Sather and lets face it. If a 2nd and or maybe Grachev came with the deal than does Maloney lose on the deal? Personally I don’t think so. As seasons end the Rangers can let Jovo hit the free market or even retire if that’s what he wishes.

Option 2
Chris Drury, plus 2011 2nd round selection, plus Kuntratek to Carolina in exchange for Sergei Samsanov, and Joni Pitkanen.

Cap hits are close, but actual dollar amount for Carolina would be less. Carolina a team with plenty of cap space utilizes it to gain assets in the form of Kundratek, and the draft pick. All they have to do is have Dru on the books for one year. Pitkanen and Samsanov are both UFA’s at the end of the season so the Rangers can opt to NOT re sign them.

Option 3
Chris Drury plus 2011 2nd round selection to Florida in exchange for Bryan McCabe.


Cap hit is slightly larger for Fla, but, McCabe is off the books next year. Florida gets Dru for slightly more money this year, and the discounted 5 mil next year, but more importantly adds a pick and maybe even a prospect to boot.

Option 4
Chris Drury and Evgeny Grachev to Colorado in exchange for Scott Hannan.

Ok, Chris obviously has the history in Colorado. His former linemate in Milan Hejduk is still there. For Colorado, they also experiment with reuniting Grachev with Matt Duchene who were lights out together in Brampton only a couple seasons ago. Hannan is a free agent at seasons end.

All 4 options when prorating the cap hit are somewhat similar in money. But…helps to add prospects or picks to the org that is taking on the slightly larger cap hit…and for next season discounted dollar hit.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:02 AM
  #115
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Mike Heika in the Dallas Morning News

Quote:
That means if the Stars could start up extension talks, they might be in the ballpark of seven years at $7 million a season or more. That's just speculation on my part, but it's something Richards could probably command as an unrestricted free agent in the summer (which he will be if he does not sign an extension). Would Richards give the Stars a hometown discount? Would the Stars be open to a long-term contract (10 years?) to lower the cap hit and salary hit? It's impossible to know, because they can't even get into serious negotiations with the ownership situation what it is.

Nieuwendyk said he has talked to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the situation, and was told that both the NHL and the lenders understand the situation and could possibly open the door for discussions once they sort through whether or not the lenders want to keep the team for the rest of the season and whether or not they might name an interim president.

``I've talked to Gary Bettman about the issues, and I did ask that if the lenders are carrying us to summer time, then we have some important things we need to talk about with them,'' Nieuwendyk said. ``He is well aware of everything, and I think the lenders are also aware how important this could be for our team.'
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...g-for-a-1.html

Nieuwendyk wants to re-sign Richards. The fans want Richards to stay. Richards on the team makes that a more marketable team to sell. They are paying Richards $7.8 million this season. It's not like Richards is making $5 million and he wants $7 million.

Richards is represented by Pat Morris. Sean Avery's agent. Same agency as Wade Redden. After what happened with Reds,they're going to want a NMC.

Speculation on Heika's part(he has been around that team for a long time) but 7 years for at least $7 million per?So much for Richy taking less
Jesus, Joe N have to wait untill "summer time" before he can talk to the NHL about IF he will have any money to spend on Brad Richards???

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:34 AM
  #116
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jesus, Joe N have to wait untill "summer time" before he can talk to the NHL about IF he will have any money to spend on Brad Richards???
The team has interested buyers. The NHL and the banks have to make their decision. Sell the team in the next month or wait for some mystery buyer to meet their asking price. The team is/was expected to be sold by the new year. That's what the NHL told Nieuwendyk. He has spoken to Bettman about Richards and what happens if the situation with ownership remains status quo. The "summer time" comment is reference to the lenders deciding to keep the team and naming an interim president. The previous president left for another position due to the unsettled ownership position.

Quote:
If the Stars were worth buying at their asking price, they would have had a new owner by now. Instead, Calgary oilman Bill Gallacher decided to pull out of the bidding, leaving a group including Tom Gagliardi of Vancouver and some local investors as the leaders to get the team.

But the Gagliardi group is probably seeing the Stars’ financials and the losses they would have to absorb in the short term in order to get the team back on track and balking at the asking price. The NHL would like to believe the Stars are worth in the neighborhood of $300 million, but no buyer is going to pay anywhere near that in this economic climate.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...situation.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:44 AM
  #117
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Once again, who is going to pay him that much? Toronto can try, but my opinion is that he has zero interest in playing for Toronto (why would any top player want to sign there right now, that team is going nowhere), which means it's probably going to be between the Rangers and the Kings. I don't know if it makes sense for the Kings to commit that much money to him.
How much money do the Rangers have available to pay Richards?

You never say how much the Rangers should give Richards and how they are going to pay the other players?

You don't know what Richards wants. Does he want to play in Canada? He has no allegiance to the Rangers or LA. His agent Pat Morris will go for the money. Morris took Avery to Dallas because they offered the most money. It's always about the money. Even Jeter after making $189 million wants another $125 million or $25 million per when his market value is $10 million per.

Current commitments for next season. 4 arbitration cases. 1 non-arbitration case in Ansimov. Fill out the roster. No bonus cushion for 11-12. Maybe no 5% escalator being exercised by the PA.

Richards will be 31 years old. How many years and how much money? He is not a 21 year old Steve Stamkos who deserves the 20% max and lifetime contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
  #118
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Oh, I thought you meant if we had the opportunity to trade him, it doesn't need to happen.

My bad.
Even if we have the opportunity to trade him, we still don't need to.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
  #119
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much money do the Rangers have available to pay Richards?

You never say how much the Rangers should give Richards and how they are going to pay the other players?
And you never say who is going to give him all this money.

Quote:
You don't know what Richards wants. Does he want to play in Canada? He has no allegiance to the Rangers or LA. His agent Pat Morris will go for the money. Morris took Avery to Dallas because they offered the most money. It's always about the money. Even Jeter after making $189 million wants another $125 million or $25 million per when his market value is $10 million per.
No, I don't know what he wants. But I can try and use common sense and I really don't think this guy wants to be the whipping boy for Canada's team, which he will be if he goes to Toronto. That team is not built to compete, and they have a lot of other problems even if they get him. He'll get all of the pressure, though.

Quote:
Current commitments for next season. 4 arbitration cases. 1 non-arbitration case in Ansimov. Fill out the roster. No bonus cushion for 11-12. Maybe no 5% escalator being exercised by the PA.

Richards will be 31 years old. How many years and how much money? He is not a 21 year old Steve Stamkos who deserves the 20% max and lifetime contract.
Here is a for instance based on what I think are realistic cap hit projectings for the RFAs and Richards that fills every spot except for one defenseman and leaves 1.7 million available. It also doesn't factor in the possibility of a Werek or MZA or someone like that making the team out of camp, and it assumes that Rozsival, McDonagh and probably Grachev will be traded.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.300m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m)
Dale Weise ($0.700m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,875,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,737,500

Basically, it'll be tight for the first year. Then Drury comes off the cap, as does Avery, and problem solved. Both can be resigned on the cheap if we so desired. That's also the year when a bunch of young players will probably be looking to make the team, and when the Rangers can also go out and maybe pick up some help on the blueline or on LW, if Kreider can't provide that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:25 PM
  #120
Claxton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And you never say who is going to give him all this money.



No, I don't know what he wants. But I can try and use common sense and I really don't think this guy wants to be the whipping boy for Canada's team, which he will be if he goes to Toronto. That team is not built to compete, and they have a lot of other problems even if they get him. He'll get all of the pressure, though.



Here is a for instance based on what I think are realistic cap hit projectings for the RFAs and Richards that fills every spot except for one defenseman and leaves 1.7 million available. It also doesn't factor in the possibility of a Werek or MZA or someone like that making the team out of camp, and it assumes that Rozsival, McDonagh and probably Grachev will be traded.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.300m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m)
Dale Weise ($0.700m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,875,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,737,500

Basically, it'll be tight for the first year. Then Drury comes off the cap, as does Avery, and problem solved. Both can be resigned on the cheap if we so desired. That's also the year when a bunch of young players will probably be looking to make the team, and when the Rangers can also go out and maybe pick up some help on the blueline or on LW, if Kreider can't provide that.
Would love to add Ryan Suter to the team since he's UFA the offseason Drury and Rozsival are off the books.

Burns is there too, Jackman, Tyutin, Gleason, Wideman, Kronwall, Oduya, maybe even Coburn or Carle.

Someone will slip through the cracks and make it to UFA.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:25 AM
  #121
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
The Stars are close to hiring a president. Tony Tavares. Ducks/Angels/Expos/Nationals.

Quote:
The Stars are expected to be running on money from the lenders soon, and Tavares would give the lenders a direct link to the day-to-day operations, as well as give the Stars some much-needed answers in the front office.

Richards, who ranks sixth in the NHL in scoring with 28 points, is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $7.8 million this season (ranking 12th in NHL salary). While Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk would like to explore a contract extension with Richards, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, he has not been able to without an owner in place.

If Richards still wants to opt for free agency after an offer is made, Nieuwendyk might consider trading him before the Feb. 28 NHL trade deadline. However, if the Stars are playing well, Nieuwendyk could decide to keep Richards and try to negotiate an extension at the end of the season.

"There's no doubt that at some point we have to have clarity and we have to have communication, and I feel we're moving in that direction," said Nieuwendyk, who is scheduled to be in New York this week to talk with Bettman. "I think if we just have a plan and know what our options are, then it's not perfect, but we can deal with it."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2fab2c7.html

Appears the lenders are going to keep the team for the immediate future. They can't get their asking price. It would make sense to build up the asset in order to sell it at a future date. The team is no danger of being moved. The Stars led the NHL in biggest attendance drop this season. Back to back non-playoff seasons in a non-traditional hockey market. Not re-signing Richards and another non-playoff year would be a disaster. Richards likes playing with Neal and Eriksson. No state income tax.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:34 AM
  #122
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And you never say who is going to give him all this money.



No, I don't know what he wants. But I can try and use common sense and I really don't think this guy wants to be the whipping boy for Canada's team, which he will be if he goes to Toronto. That team is not built to compete, and they have a lot of other problems even if they get him. He'll get all of the pressure, though.



Here is a for instance based on what I think are realistic cap hit projectings for the RFAs and Richards that fills every spot except for one defenseman and leaves 1.7 million available. It also doesn't factor in the possibility of a Werek or MZA or someone like that making the team out of camp, and it assumes that Rozsival, McDonagh and probably Grachev will be traded.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.850m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.300m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m)
Dale Weise ($0.700m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,875,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,737,500

Basically, it'll be tight for the first year. Then Drury comes off the cap, as does Avery, and problem solved. Both can be resigned on the cheap if we so desired. That's also the year when a bunch of young players will probably be looking to make the team, and when the Rangers can also go out and maybe pick up some help on the blueline or on LW, if Kreider can't provide that.
Toronto will have the most money available. Kaberle and Gigeure come off the books. They have 1 group II to re-sign and he isn't eligible for arbitration. Luke Shenn. Burke will be very desperate to add a top 6 forward. He has been there for exactly two years and the team is in worse shape.

If Dallas gets their situation straighten out,they'll try to re-sign Richards. Nieuwendyk wants to re-sign him.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:05 AM
  #123
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
The fact that four buyers who have been approved by the NHL (Calgary oilman Bill Gallacher has since pulled out of the process) have not upped their offers significantly might tell you that the Stars are not worth what the lenders have invested.So now the lenders have to decide if investing further in the team (funding possible losses this season of $20 million or more) could result in a bigger offer in the future. It's a high-risk gamble, but one they seem willing to take.
Quote:
So what does this mean for the Stars right now? Well, Stars GM Joe Niewuendyk and a couple of Stars executives are scheduled to visit NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman on Tuesday in New York, and they hope to get a few answers as to how the day-to-day operations of the franchise will operate. If the lenders do hire Tavares, he could certainly be a conduit to Nieuwendyk and an advocate in either making a future investment in a player like Brad Richards (who can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season) or a short-term investment in acquiring players between now and Feb. 28.

Remember, the NHL last season allowed the Phoenix Coyotes to make some acquisitions on expiring contracts near the trade deadline, so there is always a way to get wiggle room in these situations.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-could-he.html

Instead of breaking down the asset,the strategy is build it up and get a better offer. They have cap space to add players. Expiring contracts with 40 days of salary remaining won't be very expensive.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:37 AM
  #124
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,436
vCash: 500
You know what our biggest probelm is? Demographics.

Who is the top center in the league age 33-38 y/o?

There is only 2 in the top 30 in scoring for centers, Andy McDonald and Matt freakin Cullen.

I did a random search at nhl.com and went back as far as I could, to 98', then you had Gretzky (2nd among centers), Francis (3rd), Stumpel (5th), Oates (6th), Joe N, Stevie Y, Sakic, Pat LaF, Messier, Damphousse, Ronning and Gilmour in that age range in the top 30 among centers in the league.

I just think we need someone with somekind of experience to distrubute the puck, set up plays, run a PP et c up front. You know, just to make life a little easier for our kids. To keep them from getting into too long slumps. Et c.

But just about everyone that fits that bill in the entire NHL is young and untouchable.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
  #125
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,425
vCash: 2810
Was that rumor true about the cap going up about $6M for next year because of some TV deal? If so, does anyone know what channel that is?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.