HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

THE 2010 DOUBLE-A DRAFT (sign-up, roster post, picks, discussion, etc)

Old
11-24-2010, 11:33 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The Blue Jays select goaltender Ernie Wakely, who as a 30 year old backstopped the St. Louis Blues in the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals, starred in the 1971 NHL all-star game and lost only 14 games in 51 starts in 1970-71, jumping thereafter to the more financially lucrative WHA where he went on to become the WHA's career leader in shutouts and games played, and 3rd all time in wins. He was the only goaltender not yet drafted this year who is a member of the WHA Hall of Fame.

Memorial Cup champion, 1958–59
Winner, Terry Sawchuk Trophy, 1963-64.
Named to Central Professional Hockey League All-Star Second Team, 1967-68.
Named to American Hockey League All-Star Second Team, 1968-69.
Played in National Hockey League All-Star Game, 1971.
Named to World Hockey Association All-Star Second Team, 1977-78.
I'm trying to put these accomplishments into proper perspective but when I do, I am finding it difficult to spin them in ways that make Wakely impressive.

In 1964 you could say that Wakely was among the best goalies outside of the NHL, as only six could make it and he was in a minor league that contained some recognizable names. Better than him were the six NHL starters, the two backups to earn a decent number of starts (Crozier, Johnston ), and on the international stage, likely Konovalenko, Martin & Dzurilla. (not Holmqvist, not this year, anyway), likely Cheevers and an undrafted in the AHL (a better minor league) and the guy who took the first team spot in the CPHL at least.

In 1968 and 1969, similar story, except by then the backup system was in full effect in the NHL and Wakely had not made it. In those seasons you have to go with the 16 or so goalies who played 30+ NHL games, a few on the international stage, possibly (but not definitely) the two best in the AHL in 1969, and the guys who topped Wakely for 1st team all-star in each league those years.

In 1970 he had the league's best GAA but only the 16th-most minutes and it was in the Western division. Intuitively, it's fair to say that at least 8 drafted goalies from this season were better, and a couple on the international stage.

About the finals this year, it was Plante and Hall who got them there. I'm not sure what the story is, but Wakely played the finals and got absolutely blitzed for 38 shots per game by the Bruins. I'm really not sure what the 1970 playoffs tell us about Wakely because although his teammates numbers were significantly better, he played the tough games and got trounced. Best I can do to understand how Hall/Plante might have performed in the 1970 finals is to look at the years before, as it was the same situation: easy competition in rounds 1 & 2, impossible in round 3. In 1968 & 1969, the Blues allowed 47 goals in 22 games against the West (2.14), and 23 in 8 in the finals (2.88). So no doubt, a rise in goals against was to be expected. But in 1970 Hall & Plante held the fort to the tune of 26 GA in 12 games (2.17) - should a rise to 5.00 (or Wakely's personal average of 4.71) be expected heading into the Boston series? Boston was more high octane than the Habs teams of the past two years, but that's an awful lot of goals to allow.

In 1971 Wakely was in the all-star game; however, I don't know what can be concluded from this either. He was in the west, and it was a case of "well, someone has to go." He played the 4th-most minutes in the league and among the 20 goalies with the most minutes, was 11th in sv% with .902. Strangely, the goalie in 10th had .914, indicating a large gap, as large as the one observed between Wakely and the 18th-place goalie. With Crozier having an off-year, Parent not getting into many games, and two of the goalies ahead of him in sv% being a mediocre player having a good year and Giacomin's backup, it's arguable that Edwards was the NHL's 9th-best goalie and probably about 11th-12th worldwide.

His WHA years were middling, he had a winning record 5 of 7 years but was a 2nd team all-star just once, which was one of the two years he was top-5 in WHA sv%. 1978 was the year. It would be fair to call this his best WHA season. Better goalies were AHL first teamer Al Smith, internationals Tretiak, Holecek, & Kralik, and at least the best 10 NHL goalies: Dryden, Esposito, Edwards, Parent, Smith, Resch, Palmateer, Bouchard, Meloche, and Cheevers (despite brutal sv% he was still considered a "money" goalie and got to the finals)

I just can't see a time when Ernie Wakely was ever one of the best 10 goalies in hockey, and he'd be the first goalie selected that you could say that about. I had at least 10 goalies ahead of him, including goalies I don't even expect will be selected; he wasn't close to my radar. Take a mulligan on this one, and make him a 3rd-stringer!

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-25-2010 at 01:51 PM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Madison selects D Jaroslav Spacek

1998 Olympic Gold Medal
1999 World Championship Gold Medal
2001 World Championship Gold Medal
2005 World Championship Gold Medal
2006 Olympic Bronze Medal

77 Goals, 245 Assists for 332 Points in 797 Games

Forecaster.ca
Quote:
Is a good passer and steady performer in defensive situations. Sees the ice very well. Can be effective on the power play and also play a shutdown role, due to his veteran savvy.
Wikipedia article:
Quote:
In 2005–06, Špaček was part of the Cinderella Edmonton Oilers team that made a run to the Stanley Cup Finals. However, the Oilers lost in game 7 of the finals to the Carolina Hurricanes. Špaček had three goals and 11 assists in the 2006 Playoffs.

On July 5, 2006, Špaček signed a three-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres. In the 2006–07 season, Špaček helped the Sabres reach the Eastern Conference Finals. Špaček was named an alternate captain for the month of December 2007 and captain for the month of January under the Sabres 2007–08 rotating captain and alternate captains system. In the 2008–09 season, Špaček tied a career-high with 45 points in 80 games for the Sabres.
Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
An offensively skilled defenceman with a hard shot from the point.

On the international stage Spacek has represented his homeland on numerous occasions including twice at the Winter Olympics (1998 and 2002), five times at the World Championships (1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005)and once at the World Cup of Hockey (2004).

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:59 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Madison listpicks Ulf Sterner

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

The Blue Jays select 6'1 205 lbs. left winger Martin Rucinsky, the tall, speedy Czech who scored 612 points in 961 NHL games including a decent 35 game winners and 15 shorthanded, was an all-star at the world juniors (1991), an all-star at the world championships (1999) and in nhl all-star game (2000), is an Olympic gold medalist (1998) and world championship winner (1999, 2001, 2005), played in the 1991 Canada Cup, as well as both the 1998 and 2004 World Cups.

Quote:
He was blessed with blinding speed and had the hands to handle the puck and make plays while in top gear. He had a laser of a shot and unlike so many Europeans of his time he would shoot often.
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2008...-rucinsky.html

Quote:
... groomed in the style of international hockey, where speed to cover more ice was essential.... During the World Junior Championships of 1991, he impressed all observers with his deft scoring touch and quick wheels... some effective playmaking and balanced his offense with sufficient attention to keeping the puck out of his own net.

As a Hab,... In his first 56 games he netted 60 points. Over the next two seasons, Rucinsky became a steady, versatile wheel on the Canadiens' caravan. In addition to skating with Damphousse... he killed penalties and joined the club's second power-play unit. And to add some trimming to the cake, Rucinsky joined Dominik Hasek at the 1998 Olympic Winter Games in Nagano where their native Czech Republic team won the gold medal.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=11412

Last edited by VanIslander: 11-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old
11-25-2010, 08:06 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Edmonton drafts Mike Knuble.

490 points in 909 NHL games

Quote:
Does his best work in front of the opposing goal and along the boards. Is very capable on special teams and as a checker, is extremely durable and can score in bunches.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:19 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Ken Wregget, G

- finished fifth in voting for Vezina Trophy, 1994-95
- 225 career wins in 575 games, 2nd-most among undrafted goalies
- excellent playoff performer, with career playoff SV% of .911 - the 4th best mark between '86 and '97 among goalies with 50+ playoff games (5th among those with 25+), with only ATDers ahead of him
- regular season: 1st, 6th & 8th in wins, 10th in SV%, 7th & 9th in shutouts
- playoffs (goalies with 5+ GP): SV% - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th ; wins - 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th ; GAA - 2nd, 2nd

Last edited by MadArcand: 11-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:38 AM
tony d
The man

3 straight picks were everyone was discussed between Dave and myself.

That said we use our next pick to select Guy Charron, centre.

A determined player who would not let his small stature get in the way Charron had a good career for 3 NHL teams scoring 221 goals and 530 points.

More on Charron can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12250

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

LW/C Ulf Sterner

1962 World Championship All-Star
1963 Elitserien Guldpucken
1963 World Championship Gold Medal
1969 World Championship Best Forward
1969 World Championship All-Star
1969 World Championship Silver Medal
1970 World Championship Silver Medal
1973 World Championship Silver Medal
Member of the IIHF Hall of Fame

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
Ulf Sterner made his debut with Tre Kronor when he was only 17 years and 9 months old. He was the national team's youngest rookie of all times. At 15 Sterner was accepted onto a second division club and soon local fans were spreading the word about a speedy young virtuoso who could sneak through a bunch of men and score a goal.

He first appeared with Tre Kronor in a friendly game against Czechoslovakia at Johanneshof on November 12, 1959. The Swedish team won the game 11-3. The young Sterner scored his first goal-the first of what would be many more. What is remembered is that in the late 1950s and early 1960s, Ulf Sterner, along with Sven "Tumba" Johansson, Nils Nilsson and Ronald Petersson, was one of Sweden's most popular hockey players and an international star. It was Sterner who invented the famous fake 'stick-skate-stick' maneuver.

In Sterner's opinion, he scored his most memorable goal against Canada at the 1962 World Championship in Colorado Springs, bringing the score to 3-0. On March 15, 1963, Sweden defeated Canada 4-1 with Sterner getting a hat-trick. The crowd was elated and Sweden's aged King Gustav VI jumped up and applauded like a schoolboy. After the game, Sterner and Tumba Johansson went into the stands to meet the monarch and receive his royal congratulations. The Swedes appeared to have the world title sewn up, but they still had to get one more point in the last game against the Czechs. The last day of the tournament was the most tense and exciting, but the Swedes lost and the gold medal went to the Soviet team.

Ulf Sterner was Europe's (and Sweden's) first player to join the NHL.

This hockey family lives on a small farm near Carlstad, where Sterner has four horses. His horses have regular names as well as nicknames for Sterner's former teammates and friends. One of the horses once smashed Sterner's nose and was nicknamed 'Alexander Ragulin' because it was as strong as the famed Russian defenseman.
International Hockey Legends
Quote:
Ulf Sterner was this super kid out of Sweden. Described as "a smooth skater, seamless passer and scorer with enormous offensive talent," he debuted internationally at the 1960 Olympics at the age of 18. He would lead Sweden to the 1962 World Championship gold medal and the 1963 World Championship silver medal. At the 1964 Olympic games in Innsbruck Sterner would lead all scorers with eleven points in seven games.

Sterner definitely was with the Rangers for training camp in 1964 and was said to have wowed spectators in several exhibition games.

The Rangers signed him to a contract under the agreement that he would start the year learning the rougher, North American game with the Ranger's Central League farm team in St. Paul. After 12 goals in 16 games he was bumped up to the Baltimore Clippers of the AHL. Centering the top line, he impressed with 18 goals and 44 points in 52 contests, but was heavily criticized for his lack of physical play. In those days, international rules prohibited any body checking in the offensive zone, which left Sterner completely unprepared for the North American game. Still happy with his skill game, the Rangers called up Sterner late in January, 1965. He would play in 4 NHL contests before returning to the minors.

Unwilling to play the physical game necessary to stick in the NHL, Sterner returned to Sweden, secure in the knowledge that talent wise he was every bit as good as most Canadian players. He continued to play in Sweden and for the Swedish national team for another decade.
IIHF
Quote:
Ulf Sterner made his international debut at the 1960 Olympics, and for the next four years was a dominating centre in international competition. He was part of the team that won an historic gold at the 1962 World Championship in Colorado Springs, and a year later led the team to a silver medal. At the 1964 Olympics in Innsbruck, Sterner led all scorers with eleven points in seven games.

Old
11-25-2010, 01:58 PM
seventieslord

- Good pick on Sterner.

- I thought Knuble was gone! Good glue guy for this level.

- Guy Charron had the record for most career games without a playoff game, then lost the distinction briefly to Jokinen, but he handed that distinction back to him. J-Bouw might eventually take it from him too, but it's hard to see him keeping it forever.

What scares me about Guy Charron is that he was often his team's best offensive forward, but his adjusted +/- is negative. You would think with all the brutal players keeping him from getting to the playoffs, he'd be outperforming their goal differential a lot, but he wasn't - despite scoring a ton of points compared to them.

- Wregget was almost always a backup goalie but he had a real knack for stepping into the playoffs and posting a high sv%. His 1986 and 1987 with the Leafs were very strong as well, but they were also against poor competition, relatively. I would have no problem with Wregget as a "clutch backup" at the AA level, in fact, he's the perfect man for the job.

Saskatoon selects Ron Schock. I'll come back later and explain who this guy is that you have all never drafted in an MLD, AAA, AA draft or mentioned in the free agent thread.

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old
11-25-2010, 02:12 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

I actually had Schock planned as 4th center (and on list since early AAA), so I guess I'm not schocked by your pick

As for Wregget, he was often backup (mostly to Barrasso), but he still managed to play almost 600 games (he's 41st all-time in GP), and was still #1 for 5 seasons (and split one with Barrasso evenly).

Old
11-25-2010, 03:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- Good pick on Sterner.

- Guy Charron had the record for most career games without a playoff game, then lost the distinction briefly to Jokinen, but he handed that distinction back to him. J-Bouw might eventually take it from him too, but it's hard to see him keeping it forever.

What scares me about Guy Charron is that he was often his team's best offensive forward, but his adjusted +/- is negative. You would think with all the brutal players keeping him from getting to the playoffs, he'd be outperforming their goal differential a lot, but he wasn't - despite scoring a ton of points compared to them.

- Wregget was almost always a backup goalie but he had a real knack for stepping into the playoffs and posting a high sv%. His 1986 and 1987 with the Leafs were very strong as well, but they were also against poor competition, relatively. I would have no problem with Wregget as a "clutch backup" at the AA level, in fact, he's the perfect man for the job.

Saskatoon selects Ron Schock. I'll come back later and explain who this guy is that you have all never drafted in an MLD, AAA, AA draft or mentioned in the free agent thread.
Yeah, Charron is a guy that has his liabilities to his game to tell the truth, but we feel that if put with quality linemates at this level he could be productive for us. We have a few in mind but to be honest our list has been getting picked apart left and right so far. We were hopeful that Knuble and Rucinsky were going to be on his wing but neither of those happened.

The good news is unlike where Charron was typically played in real life on teams like the Scouts and expansion Caps is that he won't be counted on for a top line role.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I didn't just think he was gone..... I thought he was a spare on my AA team

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Middlebury selects D Don Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelletier
For years Don Sweeney had been overlooked by hockey fans and the hockey media. A master shot blocker, Sweeney prefered it that way. He was an unassuming person who took great pride in his work but no interest in any glory for his efforts.

"It's my character to be quiet and try to be unassuming," said Sweeney, an assistant captain. "I just go about my business."

Sweeney comes from a different hockey background. He is one of the few long term NHLers out of New Brunswick, St. Stephen, NB to be exact. While he grew up in the Canadian hinterlands, he didn't play junior hockey. Instead he played US College hockey. And not just any college either. He attended the very top of all ivy league schools. Don Sweeney is a Harvard man playing the most brutal of games. Very well, I might add.

Despite his Harvard degree in economics, Sweeney has earned a living the old fashioned way, albeit in the glamorous world of pro sports. He, more than any other Bruin especially in the late 1990s, embraced the team's lunch-pail approach to the game. His work ethic and dedication were a true throw back to earlier eras.

"He's a true professional in how he approaches everything: the game, his life and his dedication to whatever he does," says Bruins captain Ray Bourque. "He's a hard-working guy, on and off the ice. He prepares really well and he's a smart kid."

Bourque would know. He played with Sweeney much of Sweeney's career. Sweeney helped make things a lot easier on Bourque, one of the game's all time greats.

Many defensive defensemen rely on strength and size to last in the National Hockey League. Not Sweeney. He is all of 5'10" tall, though is very strong and sturdy. He was a shrub in the forest of NHL defensemen, but as new statistics point out what NHL forwards already know, he was a hard hitting body checker. He added some nice mobility to his repertoire, and possessed great hockey sense. All in all, he was a very clever hockey player, and incredibly underrated.

"I've always felt like I've been up against the wall -- I don't want to say overachieve -- in terms of finding a way to battle despite my size and such," says Sweeney. "I've learned to play within my limitations and to try to be a better player."

His limitations in the defensive zone were few in far between. The offensive zone was a bit of a different story, as Sweeney rarely contributed there. That was not so much because of a lack of offensive skills, but more because of his dedication to defense.

Old
11-26-2010, 08:02 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Madison listpicks Scott Hannan

Old
11-26-2010, 08:02 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

The Blue Jays select defenseman Walt Buswell, the captain of the Canadiens in his 8th NHL season, 1939-40. He played at least 44 games a season for eight straight NHL seasons, with a very good 15 assist season and added 7 the following season, even scoring a couple of goals his last postseason despite having a reputation for staying at home.

Quote:
... always the model of consistency... a steady and reliable defenseman, ... solid, if unspectacular, play. He was at his best in his own end, where he used brains rather than brawn to defend his territory. A strong skater with a long reach, the 5-foot-11, 170-pounder was also one of the more durable rearguards...
http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/8445296

Old
11-26-2010, 08:03 AM
tony d
The man

Well you all now know who Middlebury selected making my post obsolete.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:10 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Edmonton drafts Tommy Salo.

Olympic Gold (1994)
World Championship All-Star Team (1997, 1998, 1999)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (2000, 2002)

Quote:
Tommy Salo will always be known as the goalkeeper who won the gold medal for Sweden at the Lillehammer Olympics in 1994. From the beginning, Salo was noticed not only for his physical strength and quick reaction time but also for his tremendous stamina.

As the best rookie in the IHL, Salo joined the New York Islanders in the 1994-95 season, beating out his compatriot Tommy Soderstrom and Canadian Eric Fichaud for the top spot. Salo successfully defended the Islanders' net and played for Sweden in the World Championship whenever the Islanders didn't make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Salo got to go to Nagano in 1998, but, despite the fact that he played a good game, Sweden lost in the quarterfinals to their long-time rival, Finland.

Another goalkeeper might have lost heart and given up, but not Salo. He proved it that very same season at the 1998 World Championship in Switzerland, helping Sweden win the gold. To this he added the bronze at the 1999 World Championship in Norway, showing once again that he was a superior goaltender.

After the Oilers were eliminated in the first round of the 2000 Stanley Cup playoffs, Salo once again represented his homeland at the World Championships. Although his style may be unconventional, Salo established a career high in wins with 36 during the 2000-01 season and yet again represented his homeland later that spring at the World Championships.

The distinctive quality of Salo's career has been the consistency of his playing. Following a 36-win season the previous year, Salo was a work horse once again for the young Oilers in 2001-02. Another 30-win season, a third trip to the Olympic Games in Salt Lake City and his fifth appearance at the World Championships, Salo has played his share hockey since his arrival in Edmonton and continued his strong play throughout the 2002-03 season.

The 2003-04 season would be Salo's last season with the Oilers, after he was dealt to the Colorado Avalanche at the trading deadline. After ten seasons in the NHL, Salo opted to return overseas in 2004-05.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Sean Hill, D

- 324 adjusted points in 876 games
- topped out at 12th among defensemen in points, 10th in goals and 5th in PPG
- logged a lot of minutes, and led the Canes in icetime in the 2002 finals run by far
- won the Cup with Habs
- saw a lot of special teams icetime, at 40% of PP and 37% of PK respectively
- a great hitter, topping 240+ hits several times

Old
11-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Madison listpicks Scott Hannan
I think he's the last guy who's played for Team Canada in a true best on best tournament (2004 World Cup).

Led his NHL team in ice time 4 times and was second another 3 times. Pretty impressive for a guy who doesn't score much.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:39 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Love the Hannan pick. I profiled him in an undrafted free agent thread once. I had him shortlisted for the 6/7 slot of my squad this draft but think him a decent 2/3 position role in this draft.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:02 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I think he's the last guy who's played for Team Canada in a true best on best tournament (2004 World Cup).

Led his NHL team in ice time 4 times and was second another 3 times. Pretty impressive for a guy who doesn't score much.
I agree; I love the Hannan pick.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:03 AM
seventieslord

Saskatoon selects LW Oren Frood.

I thought Frood was a center all this time and therefore kept finding players I'd rather have (have you noticed, centers tend to get more points?) but in my research today I realized he was actually a LW and this a valuable commodity with the lack of proven LW scorers out there.

Frood was a Renfrew product standing 5'9" and weighing 175 lbs. At age 18, with the Pembroke Hockey Club, he led the Upper Ottawa Valley Hockey League in scoring with 15 goals in 8 games in 1906. In the 1907 and 1908 seasons, Frood scored 15 more goals in 12 more games. Incomplete stats make it tough to say whether he was the leading scorer or not. Bobby Rowe and Hamby Shore both played in this league. Interesting note about the 1908 season from SIHR: "Won Starr Trophy as Maritime champs 1908 but it was found that he had used false name of Claude Oren so the whole team was suspended and turned Pro for playing with him"

In 1910, Frood went to the OPHL, the 2nd best league in hockey. He tore the league apart, with 53 goals in 23 games. I can't speak for every season of hockey ever played to that point, but I think this was a pro record at the time, which would have stood for decades. Next-best scorers had 50, 38, and 28. He was also 2nd in PIM with 95.

In 1911, he again led the league, this time with 23 goals in 14 games. This time he didn't run away with it, but Tommy Smith was 2nd with 22 goals in 18 games. Other players Frood outscored during his time in the OPHL: Harry Smith, Eddie Oatman, Goerge McNamara, Goldie Prodger, Joe Malone, Jack McDonald, Louis Berlinguette, Ken Randall, & Jack Marks.

It's tough to project these stats to an NHA equivalent, but based on who he was outscoring and by how much, and what's known about the relative strengths of the leagues, it's not a stretch to imagine him as somewhere between a Bruce Ridpath and a Dubbie Kerr-level scorer in those early NHA years.

From 1913 to 1916, Frood played for the Medicine Hat Scoundrels of the SAHA (stats unavailable) before joining the military.

SIHR Member Kevin Slater's book The Trolley League has some great quotes about Frood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trolley League
speedy...

dazzing combination play was becoming the talk of the league...

The game featured a considerable amount of dirty play, including two fights between Galt‟s Pete Charleton and Berlin‟s Oren Frood, the second required intervention by the local police force to break up: "The press came out strongly against the fighting.
“Charlton jabbed him (Frood) and the two went down in a disgraceful rough and tumble that took some time to get unraveled."

Oren Frood was called to task by the Berlin press for his rough play and his inclination to take bad penalties. The “Berlin News Record” challenged Frood to clean up his act and at the same time improve his play.

Berlin‟s star winger Oren Frood was ineffective in the game and there was even a rumour that he had somehow been drugged: “A nasty rumour has come out the effect that Orren Frood, Berlin‟s husky left wing was given a dose of dope during the game that put him down and out. If there be any truth in the report the offender should be handled without gloves. If that sort of thing is allowed to be countenanced its good-bye to clean sport.” (Berlin News Record, February 8, 1910)The allegations were never proved.

The violence in the game overshadowed Oren Frood‟s amazing eight goal performance. In addition to scoring eight of the ten goals Frood also served 17 minutes in penalties.

The play was clean throughout with the exception of one fight between Billy Baird of Waterloo and Oren Frood of the Dutchmen.

”In spite of the fact that Brantford cannot win the championship, local fandom is still incensed over the brutal treatment afforded the Brantford players by Berlin, that there will be a packed house to give a derisive greeting to the hollow champions of 1910. Gross and Frood who were responsible for so much of the dirty work at Berlin will be on the team, but it is doubtful that either one of this duet will show such wonderful form they display at home. Both are jokes off their own ice. However the game will be an exhibition of hockey, and the Brantfords will be out to win. Second place depends on the game for the locals.” (Brantford Expositor, February 26, 1910)A quick check of the stats verifies the statement regarding Oren Frood; he had scored 28 of his 33 goals to date on home ice. The Branford fans would not need to worry about Nelson Gross as he was not in the line-up for Berlin, his place was taken by Earl Seibert. Brantford put forth the same line-up for the fourth straight game.

According to the “Montreal Herald” three of the Berlin players passed muster: it was conceded that Hugh Lehman was the star of the team and an excellent goalkeeper, Oren Frood was commended for his fine stick handling...

Berlin‟s other tough guy Oren Frood seemed to bite off a bit more than he could chew when he got the worst of a fight with big George McNamara.

one of the key highlights of the match was a bit of rough business between Berlin‟s Oren Frood and Mike Murphy of Galt. Frood, who had a reputation as a rough player, had struck Murphy across the face with his stick during a scuffle late in the second half, knocking the Galt winger unconscious and leaving him bleeding profusely from the face. Whether or not the blow was intentional was a matter of conjecture, but most felt that it was. The act of violence was so severe that even the Berlin press would not stand-up for their own man. The “Berlin News Record” suggested that if the incident was intentional, and many witnesses felt that it was, then the Berlin management should “severely reprimand” Frood for his actions.

“Oren Frood the hero of the game..."

At 178 pounds, Frood was one of the bigger men in the game and was noted as much for his rough play as for his great shot and outstanding scoring ability.
While the praise was often high for Frood the goal scorer, he also received his fair share of criticism for instance his positional play was weak and he was never noted for his passing skills.
Best GPG averages in OPHL history:

Newsy Lalonde 3.00
Tommy Smith 2.23
Oren Frood 2.10

Last edited by seventieslord: 12-05-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old
11-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

D Scott Hannan

2004 World Cup Champion
2005 World Championship Silver Medal

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Hannan became a mainstay on the Sharks blueline from the 2000–01 season and evolved as an effective, gritty shut down defensman. Hannan emerged as a premier defensman during the 2003–04 playoffs gaining praise for his performance in shutting down star center Peter Forsberg in the conference semi-finals win against Colorado.
Hockey Forecaster
Quote:
Has good size at 6-1, 225 pounds and uses it effectively to play a tight defensive game. Is able to combine a physical defensive game with discipline. Can log a ton of minutes and is a leader.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:00 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Middlebury selects RW Jim Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelletier
Despite being considered too small to play in the National Hockey League, the Los Angeles Kings thought better of Jimmy Fox. They were rewarded for their insight with a productive though largely unnoticed career on Hockey's Californian coast.

Fox stood just 5'8" though was built solidly at 185lbs. Despite his lack of size the Kings drafted the right winger 10th overall in the 1980 Entry Draft following 3 straight 100 plus point seasons in the OHA. In his final year with the Ottawa 67s, he led the entire league with 101 assists and 166 points plus 65 goals in just 52 games! There was no doubt that Fox knew what to do with the puck.

Fox turned pro in 1980-81 and had a respectable rookie season - scoring 18 times and picking up 43 points. Over the following 4 years he became a consistent 30 goal threat and 70 point scorer. He topped out in 1984-85 when he had a career high 53 assists and 83 points.

Following that season injuries and an infusion of younger talent like Jimmy Carson and Luc Robitaille began to slow Fox's production. He dipped to the 50-60 point plateau, and never scored 20 goals in a season again, coming close in 86-87 with 19.

Fox blew out his knee which cost him the entire 1988-89 season, which was unfortunate. That was Wayne Gretzky's first year in La-La-Land, and with Fox's speed he may have been a good match on The Great One's right side.

That knee injury eventually forced Fox to retire for good. He played in 11 games in 1989-90 but had to hang up the blades after that failed comeback attempt.

Fox was a very good skater, blessed with speed and a low center of gravity. That made him hard to knock off the puck despite his size. In fact, his size never really hampered Fox. He was pretty effective in the corners and along the boards despite being half a foot smaller than his opponents. And his great finesse skills made him even more valuable, as once he retrieved the loose puck he was able to do something with it in order to create a scoring chance.

Offensively Fox saw the ice very well, although he probably passed the puck a bit too much for his coaches liking. He was also pretty predictable in that he would cross the blue line and then pull up while his teammates jumped ahead of him into the offensive zone. As for goal scoring, Fox possessed a deadly wrist shot, but most of his goals came from in close.

Defensively Fox was pretty good too. He was very conscious of his defensive duties and used his above average anticipation skills to his advantage. He was used more and more as a defensive forward as his career wound down.

All in all, Jim Fox was a nice player. Its too bad his knee injury cut his career short just as better days were ahead in Los Angeles.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:23 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Tom Edur, D

I know this is going to be a controversial pick, but Edur had three good seasons in WHA at very young age, and then went on to have two very impressive NHL seasons, during which he managed incredible adjusted +/- of +74 while scoring 0.55 PPG and being a fixture at PP and PK, playing heavy minutes.