HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MIA - Marian Gaborik

Old
11-25-2010, 10:11 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
gabby will mature...book it
Mature? He's only a 9 year vet, I see a lotta much needed maturing in his near future.....

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:32 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Mature? He's only a 9 year vet, I see a lotta much needed maturing in his near future.....
lol...i mean take it to the next level...from superstar to legend

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
He is still hurting you can tell by how he plays

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:48 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
lol...i mean take it to the next level...from superstar to legend
Oh well legend eah? Like your optomism

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:44 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
he doesnt score a hat trick every game and everyones on his back....well, the teams also playing like sh** in every aspect

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Gaborik has never had much of a work ethic. He plays when he want's to play.. Much like Randy Moss. IMO he's maybe the most Overated and Overpaid player in the NHL. Not sure what he's like in the locker room but i hope his attitude doesn't rub off on the younger guys.
Troll? thats so far from the truth its not even funny.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 07:05 AM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Honestly he has skill to finish but hes the type of player that needs 2 guys and a good play maker on his line to succed. It really makes u undertsand and appreciate how guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Jagr who not only put up the pointd but can do much more to control the game.
Are we watching the same guy? He hasn't played with a great player his entire career and has been more than successful. The Gaborik bashing is a little insane. This guy is heads and shoulders the best player we have had since a prime Jagr, and one of the more skilled goalscorers in the history of this franchise.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
In Disgust

I don't think he fits in with the Rangers, as someone said.

Last edited by In Disgust: 11-26-2010 at 07:52 AM.
In Disgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes looked disinterested and detached recently and the result has been consistent ineffectiveness. to me, it seems the toughter the competition, the more physical the play, the less mr gaborik steps it up. and at even strength, he been all but invisible.
Well, it has become more of a team game than it was last year. I agree with you, and everyone else that feels like the strategy isn't ideal for Gaborik or no longer makes him the focal point for the team's offense.

What Tortorella and his staff need to do is make Gaborik and Del Zotto the linch pins of a functional PP. If they can generate their offense with the man advantage, the quality of their even strength play wouldn't be under the microscope. Not as much anyway.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Last year he posted career highs with the Rangers. He is a great guy and player, just give him some time, he will come around, and the Rangers will be fine this season.
Geeze, all these fans can really swing on a few games.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Well, it has become more of a team game than it was last year. I agree with you, and everyone else that feels like the strategy isn't ideal for Gaborik or no longer makes him the focal point for the team's offense.

What Tortorella and his staff need to do is make Gaborik and Del Zotto the linch pins of a functional PP. If they can generate their offense with the man advantage, the quality of their even strength play wouldn't be under the microscope. Not as much anyway.
This.

They need to work hard with MDZ to stop trying to make cross ice passes to Gaborik and in stead be comfortable moving it himself, dishing it to Gaborik with a nice pass, and Gaborik trying to snipe it in. Repeat until success.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
He is still hurting you can tell by how he plays
Absolutely. Watch him next time he gets into the corners to forecheck. Most of the time you'll see him turn away as soon as it looks like he will get checked or will need to throw a hit.

I've also noticed that he's been staying away from the front of the net, a place where he usually scores many of his goals. I think he needs more time until he feels like himself again. Still, I'd rather have him playing like he is now then have him on the IR.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:37 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Page four of the thread and no mention of the obvious yet.

Last season was Gaborik's first in the East, and first playing in a non-Lemaire system. The rest of the conference has figured out how to shut down Gaborik: don't give him ANY room.

Gaborik is not Jagr, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc. He's not big enough or strong enough to shed tough, stick-to-him-like-glue defending. Teams are putting their best pairing against him and pressuring him in full force. There's no one capable of getting him the puck in those brief and rare instance where he might have a step on the guy guarding him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Last season was Gaborik's first in the East, and first playing in a non-Lemaire system. The rest of the conference has figured out how to shut down Gaborik: don't give him ANY room.

Gaborik is not Jagr, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc. He's not big enough or strong enough to shed tough, stick-to-him-like-glue defending. Teams are putting their best pairing against him and pressuring him in full force. There's no one capable of getting him the puck in those brief and rare instance where he might have a step on the guy guarding him.
Yes. I've thought about this too. Akin to a baseball rookie coming up and hitting well until the scouting reports comes to how to get him out.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
all these fans can really swing on a few games.
Welcome to HFboards....

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:53 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

You do realise that until someone else on his line steps up, teams will focus on him all night. This wouldn't be possible if the Rangers had serious threats elsewhere, and really teams would have to make a decision on where to focus their D.

Also, your post totally ignores the fact that Gaborik's been scoring his whole career in the NHL, even in defensive systems. If it were so easy to shut him down, teams would have done it already. Plus it's not like the Wild were blessed with tons of offensive talent.

Really, Gabby will be fine. 2 iffy games and everyone freaks. Chill out dude.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:54 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Yes. I've thought about this too. Akin to a baseball rookie coming up and hitting well until the scouting reports comes to how to get him out.
Big difference is Gabby's not a rookie. He has half a career worth of games at a point per.

Old
11-26-2010, 06:23 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
You do realise that until someone else on his line steps up, teams will focus on him all night. This wouldn't be possible if the Rangers had serious threats elsewhere, and really teams would have to make a decision on where to focus their D.
You do realize that this was essentially the entire point of my post, thus the last sentence, which you clearly failed to read. Didn't stop you from responding to me with attitude, though. Expecting anyone on his line to step up is unrealistic and not the kind of hopes this team should be pinning it's chances of success to.

Quote:
Also, your post totally ignores the fact that Gaborik's been scoring his whole career in the NHL, even in defensive systems. If it were so easy to shut him down, teams would have done it already. Plus it's not like the Wild were blessed with tons of offensive talent.
And yet yours totally ignores the fact that playing in a Jacques Lemaire system, which is the system Gaborik played in his entire career before last season, provided the him with game after game of transition offense, since the entire premise upon which Lemaire's system is based is to stop the opposition in the neutral zone and send your team back into their zone with numbers. Gaborik had ample opportunities to find open ice in such a system. These types of chances are far less frequent right now, and the lack of such chances makes it difficult for Gaborik to play to his strengths (i.e. taking advantage of open ice by reaching top speeds when not being hounded by a defenseman).

Quote:
Really, Gabby will be fine. 2 iffy games and everyone freaks. Chill out dude.
I didn't start the thread, nor did I instruct anyone to panic. Simply stating the obvious, which somehow managed to elude your carefully observing gaze. And I'd venture to guess that Gabby will struggle to reach the numbers that he set last year, unless teams start to take it easy on him, or the the Rangers finally manage to acquire a significant playmaker, which hopefully will happen at the deadline (Richards).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
NYRangers16

Sting - if he was a product of system or linemates how did he put up the awesome season last year?

Let's examine the 2 possibilities -

1)The first 9 years of his career he was a product of system, and his numbers last year were luck and he is now not capable of putting up numbers without good linemates

or

2)He's a top player who puts up numbers no matter what the situation

Which of these is more likely? The conclusion(yours) that 2 games prove that he's incapable of being dominant on his own, or the conclusion(mine) that 9 years should be weighed more heavily than 2 games.

And although I think I clearly made my point 2 more factors - he was just injured for almost a month and he still has 4 goals and 4 assists in 8 games which is pretty much his career production and equal to oast year as well.

Nice response on your part but I got 7 years of Gabby's history backing me up while you are basing your enture argument on 2 games where he's admittedly still feeling hurt.

Are we done?

Old
11-26-2010, 10:07 PM
rizwaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
No, Gaborik has done jack **** since the game against Edmonton. Tortorella is abviously frustrated with him, and I don't blame him. Maybe a public call-out will wake him the **** up.
Usually works for veterans but not young kids.

He's still scored a few points since the EDM game, but definitely needs to pick it up.

As for Frolov... not the same player he was in LA that's for sure. Maybe can't handle the weather.

rizwaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Micheletti was blowing a load tonight talking about how great Gaborik was playing from the first shift of the game. I swear, he just writes things down before the game and says them regardless of what's going on. Gaborik certainly looked better than he did against Tampa, but he's absolutely not 100%. His confidence is a little low because he's hesitant about physical contact. Earlier in the year, he was going full force into people. He didn't look like a guy who's ever had injury concerns. He's clearly not 100% either physically, mentally, or (likely) a combination of both. I'm not worried that he'll get there. I really like Dubinsky on his line.

Dubinsky-Stepan-Gaborik is great.

I hope to eventually see

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The coach shouldn't have to be asking his 7+ million dollar sniper "best player" to put forth a more consistent effort.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:42 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

how fast we have turned on Gaborik.

quick Gaborik to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:48 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

This is absurd.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
how fast we have turned on Gaborik.

quick Gaborik to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson!
Seriously. The guy has been an extremely productive player for his entire NHL career. He has a crappy 10 game stretch, and people are questioning his heart and motivation? I know how reactionary this place can be, but this really is insane.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote