HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Clearing the front or taking backdoor

Old
11-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Clearing the front or taking backdoor

Ok, so this has happened a few times to me and I want to know what you guys think is the proper play.

In an odd man situation (PK, EN etc) it seems like I have to make a choice when the puck goes out to the point. Either clear the guy screening the goalie to the short side of the net letting the goalie see the shot, but leaving the backdoor open. Or, leaving the guy screening and taking away the backdoor pass. In both situations I make sure I'm not screening my own goalie.

Which do you normally do? It seems like either decision I make it always ends up in my net.

Diagram included!
Attached Images
File Type: png rink.PNG‎ (7.2 KB, 9 views)

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:40 AM
blueberrydanish

vCash: 500
Id go with your unlisted answer, tell your D-partner to do his job and cover the open guy =p

The important areas to cover on situations like that is open guys infront of the net. Obviously you have to give the guys on the point more room to do what they want...but if your goalie can see them then atleast they got a much better chance of stopping the shot. You just gotta make sure they arent screening and have their sticks tied up for tips/rebounds.

This is more for like a 1 man advantage situation for the other team.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Eisen

Three against one is impossible to defend. Take out one guy, don't screen your goalie and pray your defensive partner is there in time.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Three against one is impossible to defend. Take out one guy, don't screen your goalie and pray your defensive partner is there in time.
I wouldn't consider the guy on the point "my check". He's just going to get the shot through.

Yeah, it's frustrating because usually the pass comes from the corner where my D partner is on his guy. I want to go to the far side (backdoor guy) because I want to assume my partner will come back in time and pick up the near side guy.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I wouldn't consider the guy on the point "my check". He's just going to get the shot through.

Yeah, it's frustrating because usually the pass comes from the corner where my D partner is on his guy. I want to go to the far side (backdoor guy) because I want to assume my partner will come back in time and pick up the near side guy.
Ya, well I dont think he really should be going to the boards in the corner if yall are down a man down, obviously he needs to pressure the guy...but not enough to where he is caught out of position enough to leave the 2nd guy infront open that long. Try and make some helpful suggestions to him, doesnt hurt.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote