HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin updates us on Boyd's Status (and more)

Old
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Martin updates us on Boyd's Status (and more)

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...093/story.html

I know there has been some confusion on Boyd around here - me included - and why Weber was recalled.

Well, if Maritn's quote is any indication, it sounds like both are going to be in Montreal for a good long while.

This is from the Gazette article this morning.

Quote:
Weber and forward Dustin Boyd can expect to look on from the press box – not that this is a knock on them.

“We have 22 healthy bodies, so people aren’t going to be in the lineup,” Martin said. “It’s like any other job. Just because you’re not in the lineup doesn’t mean you can’t help this team.”

The coach pointed to defenceman Alexandre Picard, a scratch for seven consecutive games before he was reinserted upon the knee injury to Andrei Markov (no update on that).

“Give credit to those players,” Martin said of Boyd and Weber. “I met with Boyd (Wednesday) and his attitude has been great. He’s been working hard, (but) we’ve been winning and we don’t have injuries.

“When either we’re not winning or we get injuries, he’ll have an opportunity. And that’s when you have to seize that opportunity.”
Sounds like Boyd will be back, and it's interesting he lumped Weber in too.

(MOD: If you can fix the typo in my headline, that would be appreciated!)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
they will play when someone gets hurt
that is just the way things work

they need the extra bodies just in case
someone has to sit

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
habsrock60

Martin you dunce, why would we call up Weber to have him rot in the press box when he can be getting valuable time in the AHL on a very good team in Hamilton? Even worse, when he does play, he's a forward. No wonder prospects don't develop here....

habsrock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock60 View Post
Martin you dunce, why would we call up Weber to have him rot in the press box when he can be getting valuable time in the AHL on a very good team in Hamilton? Even worse, when he does play, he's a forward. No wonder prospects don't develop here....
Agree. Weber does not belong at NHL level now. Better for him to play big minutes in Hamilton.

But the Habs need a 7th d-man in case. MAB was a good option.

Henry could be the answer too.

And if Bieksa or salo is acquired, it's gonna be for which players ? Young guys from Hamilton I guess because Vancouver has no cap space left. Could be Weber and Maxwell.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Weber's been up with the big club for 9 calendar days, and he's made $30 847. That's half of the salary he would make all year in the AHL.

I'm sure he doesn't mind taking a few days off. What other job do you work less to get paid more? It's weird how it works.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Weber's been up with the big club for 9 calendar days, and he's made $30 847. That's half of the salary he would make all year in the AHL.

I'm sure he doesn't mind taking a few days off. What other job do you work less to get paid more? It's weird how it works.
agreed, if anything tis more of a reward for Webers strong play down on the farm, he's making way more money up here and frankly thats what its all about

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
agreed, if anything tis more of a reward for Webers strong play down on the farm, he's making way more money up here and frankly thats what its all about
While I think him playing forward was dumb, there is still a benefit to practicing with NHLers too.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:14 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
So, If I follow you well, Desharnais, Paccioretty and even Sanford should have their candies too...

Weber was called up to test him on PP. it was a failure. Or to show him to another organization for a trade. Not very conclusive. Or they gonna do the same as they did last year with Maxwell and keep him in the stands for the whole season, because they need a back up just in case.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
So, If I follow you well, Desharnais, Paccioretty and even Sanford should have their candies too...

Weber was called up to test him on PP. it was a failure. Or to show him to another organization for a trade. Not very conclusive. Or they gonna do the same as they did last year with Maxwell and keep him in the stands for the whole season, because they need a back up just in case.
Well he played two games, had what, three PP chances?

I wouldn't call it a failure yet.

Also, I assume he was called up more because the team needs seven healthy D.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well he played two games, had what, three PP chances?

I wouldn't call it a failure yet.

Also, I assume he was called up more because the team needs seven healthy D.
Yeah they didn't want to get caught short handed, which is why Boyd is still with the club as opposed to being sent down.

We got unlucky because the day after we traded O'Byrne, Markov went down with an injury. Clearly, they though that at this point, Weber was the most NHL ready player on the team.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
habsrock60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post

Short term, it's fine and I'm very happy for Weber. But, in the article, Martin gives an indication that Weber's here for a long time. Would you rather have Weber make more money and not develop, or wait a year, develop well and make his money? To me, the choice is obvious.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Over react much?

He's been here a week, I doubt his development has been ruined. Once they know the extent of Markov's injury I'm sure they'll make a move, I don't see them keeping Weber as #7 for the balance of the season. He belongs in Hamilton working on his defensive game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Short term, it's fine and I'm very happy for Weber. But, in the article, Martin gives an indication that Weber's here for a long time. Would you rather have Weber make more money and not develop, or wait a year, develop well and make his money? To me, the choice is obvious.
You're right, long term he needs to play.

But he's still practicing every day (or other day) with the Habs. He's not playing in games but it's not like he's doing nothing.

I don't think it's fair to judge Weber based on his play this season because he hasn't been able to get into a groove and he's been playing as our 12th forward. We need to get Weber playing a couple of full games on D alongside Gorges or Gill and 1st or 2nd unit PP.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Go Habs Go

I really don't see anything special with Weber. He's got a hard shot but thats basically it. Defensively he's horrible, he's got no physical game, he seems lost whenever he plays. He's just not ready yet, let him get more developing time. I don't like MABs but he can contribute right away a lot better then Weber could at this moment. (not saying we should get MAB though) And if they can't play Weber on defense, then whats the point of calling him up?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:32 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with rewarded good play with a stint in the bigs to get a taste of the lifestyle. It gives the younger players something to look forward to and motivates them to play hard to stay up there. As long as he's not sitting for 10-20 games, it'll give him a chance to watch from the box and get use to the speed of the game.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:33 PM
habsrock60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Over react much?

He's been here a week, I doubt his development has been ruined. Once they know the extent of Markov's injury I'm sure they'll make a move, I don't see them keeping Weber as #7 for the balance of the season. He belongs in Hamilton working on his defensive game.
I'm just saying that if Martin keeps him here for the long run, like he indicated, and uses him in the same roll, his development will take a hit.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
It's fine & dandy that Weber is making the extra cash and practicing with an NHL team can be beneficial if he's maxed out in the AHL. He's played 148 career AHL games, is that enough? Plekanec played over 220?

Maybe they should have Henry up, but that's because I think we could use toughness for certain teams.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Universe
Eh?

It's hard for Weber to get ice time when we are winning because young mistakes often equal in more veteran playing time but at the same time, getting practice against guys like Gionta and the rest of the group is much better in my opinion than playing against AHLers right now.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Boyd isn't that big of a deal and I honestly doubt he will be back after this season, however if we don't need Weber, send him to Hamilton please

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I really don't see anything special with Weber. He's got a hard shot but thats basically it. Defensively he's horrible, he's got no physical game, he seems lost whenever he plays. He's just not ready yet, let him get more developing time. I don't like MABs but he can contribute right away a lot better then Weber could at this moment. (not saying we should get MAB though) And if they can't play Weber on defense, then whats the point of calling him up?
Same regarding Weber, I'd say he's much more likely to be back in switzerland in 4 years than in the NHL.

They'll make do for now with Picard (and Weber as a #7), but if Markov's injury is season ending, they'll go out and get a real D man in a trade.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Habs

Hey we used Streit as a forward for years, that worked out awesome....

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Patty Roy

I don't mind us having Weber up and sitting in the press box for a few weeks, but i agree that he needs to play somewhere so i'd like to see him sent back down sooner than later.

Boyd as 13th forward is fine. Highly unlikely he's here past this season anyway.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:10 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Hey we used Streit as a forward for years, that worked out awesome....
Yeah, Carbonneau labeled him as unable to play defense and prevented him from showing he could until he got to the Islanders. If Carbo had given him some chances he might have been able to prove that he was a bargain at $3 million/season to play only on defense.

Replace Spacek with Streit and the D looks really good...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Agree. Weber does not belong at NHL level now. Better for him to play big minutes in Hamilton.

But the Habs need a 7th d-man in case. MAB was a good option.

Henry could be the answer too.

And if Bieksa or salo is acquired, it's gonna be for which players ? Young guys from Hamilton I guess because Vancouver has no cap space left. Could be Weber and Maxwell.
Weber is a defenseman. He has played on D for us on 1-2 shifts. How exactly do you know if he doesn't belong in the NHL yet??..For all we know, he could be better than Picard and Gill. Unless we actually give him a chance to show what he can do on Defense, for multiple games (there is a NHL adaption period he needs to go through), we won't know where he belongs for sure.
And I would be quite disappointed if we gave him up for Bieksa.

Quote:

Weber was called up to test him on PP. it was a failure
. Or to show him to another organization for a trade. Not very conclusive. Or they gonna do the same as they did last year with Maxwell and keep him in the stands for the whole season, because they need a back up just in case.
Weber has played 5min over his 2 games with us on the PP. He's also being used on his off wing. In the AHL he plays on the right side.
Let's also not forget that our PP isn't the same lethal power we are used to having.

You're a little too hard on Weber. The kid has been used out of position every single shift he played with us so far (except for one where he played D, with 2min left in the game vs Philly).

I do agree though, if we're to use him so poorly/little, might as well let him burn up the AHL.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM
LyleOdelein

Some people are way too simplistic in discussing Weber's development.

Even if Weber isn't playing yet, he's practicing with the team daily and going to be reviewing strategy and system with them. When someone goes down with an injury, he should be fully prepared to step into the line-up and play to the best of his ability with a much more manageable learning curve.

Keeping Weber in the AHL and throwing him into the fire on short notice in the event of an injury could be worse for his confidence and development than having him see reduced game-time for a little stretch. It'd be nice for Weber to play a little more regularly right now in his position, but it's not necessarily terrible for him to watch and learn either.

It's common for fans to favour tangible factors in player development (like ice-time and racking up stats), but some fans are too quick to ignore the intangible aspects of player development (like learning from coaches and veteran players and claiming a role on the team through hard work in practice).

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote