HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

98th Grey Cup: 11/28/2010 Montreal vs Saskatchewan 6PM EST RDS (HD), TSN (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Thank you for your input, the exit is this way ------>

CFL Football is quality football. The only thing making it less of a football than the NFL or the AFL is merely the budget that allows the best players south of the border.

When it comes to rules, it's pretty on par, just different. Only self-centered americans would think otherwise.
I'm inclined to agree here. I'm not a huge football guy but the rules in the CFL make for a better more exciting game. The players I'll be first to admit aren't the same caliber as the NFL of course but if the NFL adopted CFL rules I think the NFL would be just about 100x better. I do agree that it is mostly self-centered Americans who do seem to think otherwise. Not here to bash Americans just calling it how I see it. Even my friend who much prefers the NFL and follows an NFL team still accept the CFL rules are better.

Funny thing is this has been argued to death in my guild (WoW) and the pro-NFL people never come up with one good reason why NFL is better when in the context of discussing the rules. They always just say "The NFL has better rules and is a better league" you ask okay why's that? Answer: "it just is".

Old
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Hermamoud

Old
11-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Habber

Quote:
Because our coaching staff are actually clever and want their players to be in top shape for the match?

I mean, it's not like anyone forced the Riders to go practice outside and catch the flu, man. The CFL forced the Als to go into that crummy hotel.

Talk about sport, you can't even get a fair win as a city, you gotta go the dirty road. Pretty much like your economy.
Ouch, went for the jugular, eh? Oh well, at least we have an economy. Don't get me wrong, I love poutine and everything, but you gotta have something else.

I wasn't aware you could catch the flu by being outside in the cold. I guess I learned something today. And here I thought they were practicing outside to acclimatize them to game conditions.

Riders by 10

Old
11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Habber

Btw, the Grey Cup was planned out months ago. They knew there would be a team from the East and a team from the West. The West team gets the home locker room and Hotel A, the East gets the visitors room and Hotel B. It just so happens those teams ended up being the Riders and Als.

Not really sure how this equates to a conspiracy to see the Riders win, although I do have to admit I like the sounds of that.

Old
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Oh and here is Cohons rebuttal to the comments by Als players. Says they gave them the crappy hotel with zero installations because all the good hotels were booked. Way to run your business, Mark.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/foo...3_section_POS1
Cohon's answer is disgusting.

So they could not book two good hotels. They were taken by the fans coming to Edmonton. That's BS - you were supposed to book the hotels the moment you knew the Grey Cup will be in Edmonton. You knew there will be a team coming from the east right ?
Unless they were 100% sure that the Eskimos would win the west of course.

Then - thin veiled threats towards Tretsmann and Popp - "keep your mouth shut or else"

Then - the apparently unrelated talk about what a great (and rich) team the Als are - what was the point with that ? Were the Als supposed to book the hotel on their own money? or does he mean that the Als are healthy enough as an organization and they should let someone else win ?
Either way it's stupid.

Then - the Team from the west is traditionally considered as home team. Guess what - back in 2008, when the Als played the GC at home, they were not allowed to use the "Silence please" and "Make some noise" because the LCF said that "they are not considered the home team". Double standards all the way.

Let's hope adversity will motivate our players.

Old
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'm inclined to agree here. I'm not a huge football guy but the rules in the CFL make for a better more exciting game. The players I'll be first to admit aren't the same caliber as the NFL of course but if the NFL adopted CFL rules I think the NFL would be just about 100x better. I do agree that it is mostly self-centered Americans who do seem to think otherwise. Not here to bash Americans just calling it how I see it. Even my friend who much prefers the NFL and follows an NFL team still accept the CFL rules are better.

Funny thing is this has been argued to death in my guild (WoW) and the pro-NFL people never come up with one good reason why NFL is better when in the context of discussing the rules. They always just say "The NFL has better rules and is a better league" you ask okay why's that? Answer: "it just is".
The NFL has more money to spend and has access to a bigger market, which gives them more high end talent, better cameras, analysts, more teams, more rivalries, 4 downs (which means better coaches and strategies to analyse), heck, they even have better tv commercials. No knock on the CFL, but it's a local league, it's like French First Division against La Ligua. The Grey Cup is a great event, but the CFL is still the KHL compared to the NFL.

Old
11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Aarex

Man

The **** people complain about

Old
11-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
That a boy haha! Says ur from Edmonton you going to the game?
Still looking for tix. A little out of my price range for ones I have been offered.

Old
11-26-2010, 01:52 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The NFL has more money to spend and has access to a bigger market, which gives them more high end talent, better cameras, analysts, more teams, more rivalries, 4 downs (which means better coaches and strategies to analyse), heck, they even have better tv commercials. No knock on the CFL, but it's a local league, it's like French First Division against La Ligua. The Grey Cup is a great event, but the CFL is still the KHL compared to the NFL.
I understand the argument, which pretty much resolves to "the better market is the bigger market", which is kinda self-feeding and detrimental. I have a little news for you: NFL and AFL and NHL are all "Local markets" too, they just happen to have a freaking rich audience market to draw income from as opposed to the CFL and KHL.

Does it mean the sport is lower quality? No. The players might be. The analysts, and cheerleaders, the TV presentation.

But the sport? The excitement of competition, the level of effort each team put into this struggle? No. It's just as exiting. Everything else is just razzle-dazzle smoke and mirror tricks to make it seem more exciting than is actually.

I'd rather have a match of two teams with a "rating" of 80 than a match of a 160 vs 100. I love to see the players go down to business and do their frakking best. That is Sports.

(on a side-note, I'd be curious to know if there are rules difference between NHL and KHL, and maybe the NHL would benefit from adopting some of them. The same way the NFL could improve by adopting some CFL rules, like the no "fair-receiver" rule, but a 5-yard limit?)

Old
11-26-2010, 01:53 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
The **** people complain about
Right. Because having a 2 star hotel, not being allowed to use the pool and training facilities of said hotel, and a crappy locker room is nothing to complain about when the other team is treated on par with a Superbowl contending team?

All of it for the single biggest canadian football sports event of the year. Nothing to complain about.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Aarex

Why would they need a pool?

They are a professional football team, you think they can't go to any gym in edmonton and use their training facilities.

If the game was in toronto and montreal had the home locker room would you be complaining about the riders not being able to use the home teams locker room?

Your a professional football team, about to play in the most important game of the year. you'd think you'd be too busy practicing and watching game tape to complain about some ****** hotel room you have to sleep in.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Why would they need a pool?
I don't know, why don't you ask them? The point is, they want a pool, and they seem to expect to have the use of it, like they did in the 7 past times they went to the Grey Cup. Denying them something that you allow the other team to have, and then ask "why would they even need it" is downright dishonest and petty.

At least stand up when you screw somebody.

Quote:
They are a professional football team, you think they can't go to any gym in edmonton and use their training facilities.

If the game was in toronto and montreal had the home locker room would you be complaining about the riders not being able to use the home teams locker room?
Games in Toronto or Montreal have the locker rooms of both the away and the home team be relatively equal in quality, with only minor difference. The Al's locker room, right now, has 4 shower. For 50 players. That's less than what I had when I played football in high school, for frak's sake!

They can use the facilities the CFL assign them, and nothing else. Which is why everybody is complaining about the CFL's treatment of them, and people are complaining about favoritism.

Quote:
Your a professional football team, about to play in the most important game of the year. you'd think you'd be too busy practicing and watching game tape to complain about some ****** hotel room you have to sleep in.
Yhea, they are a professional football team, and you'd think they know more about what they need than you. Who are you to actually decide what professional sportsmen need instead of their coach or their manager?! Are you Mr. Sports-Logistic?

They need decent hotel room. They want equal treatment regarding facilities. They haven't had any of those. I call shennanigan, and so do they. Trying to make them look like whiner ain't gonna work, dirty Rider.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Galchenyuk94

Well the Dressler catch officially won play of the year. Absolutely disgusting and embarrassing. At least TSN did a top 10 plays of the year and Green was at his rightful #1 spot.

Rider fans were trying to rationalize their homer decision.

"Green did a pass interference"
"Green was out of bounds"
"Dresslers catch was more important to the outcome of the game"
"Dressler had the presence of mind (lol) to roll around and get up"
"It's called favourite play of the year not the play of the year"

Atleast some were honest Rider fans and said I'm a complete homer, I voted for Dressler because he's a Rider.

Ah man, this is going to be one hell of a game. I'm hoping for a close one, but deep down I want a blowout.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

I prefer NFL to CFL due to quality of play. NFL players are bigger faster and stronger and more talented.
I gave up on the cfl this year when I saw that game where the als beat the argos 37-30 and they were taking turns kicking the ball in and out of the endzone. Are you ****ing kidding me a missed field goal wins you a game. Couldnt believe it. Then to see those dopes on TSN panel saying how exciting it was.

Also to all this complaining about the facilities does anyone even have a clue what the 2 places are where the teams are staying or are they just shooting off about what the guys said without knowing.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I prefer NFL to CFL due to quality of play. NFL players are bigger faster and stronger.
I gave up on the cfl this year when I saw that game where the als beat the argos 37-30 and they were taking turns kicking the ball in and out of the endzone. Are you ****ing kidding me a missed field goal wins you a game. Couldnt believe it. Then to see those dopes on TSN panel saying how exciting it was.

Also to all this complaining about the facilities does anyone even have a clue what the 2 places are where the teams are staying or are they just shooting off about what the guys said without knowing.
This I agree with, no way should a miss at any sport give you points! Just crazy when you think about it, Imagine a miss kick leads you to a Grey Cup win

Old
11-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Galchenyuk94

Yeah that's something I could definitely live without. That missed FG point is just terrible. Rewarding failure and mediocrity

Old
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
I understand the argument, which pretty much resolves to "the better market is the bigger market", which is kinda self-feeding and detrimental. I have a little news for you: NFL and AFL and NHL are all "Local markets" too, they just happen to have a freaking rich audience market to draw income from as opposed to the CFL and KHL.

Does it mean the sport is lower quality? No. The players might be. The analysts, and cheerleaders, the TV presentation.

But the sport? The excitement of competition, the level of effort each team put into this struggle? No. It's just as exiting. Everything else is just razzle-dazzle smoke and mirror tricks to make it seem more exciting than is actually.

I'd rather have a match of two teams with a "rating" of 80 than a match of a 160 vs 100. I love to see the players go down to business and do their frakking best. That is Sports.

(on a side-note, I'd be curious to know if there are rules difference between NHL and KHL, and maybe the NHL would benefit from adopting some of them. The same way the NFL could improve by adopting some CFL rules, like the no "fair-receiver" rule, but a 5-yard limit?)
What you call smoke mirrors gives us a better angle on the sport, a better reportage. Moreover, it's true the NFL has better high-end talent and better depth than the CFL, and that their coaches are better too, and football is a coach's game. Plus a bigger part of their population has football as their number one sport, wheras in Canada all the best go to hockey, wheras they go to european football in Brazil or Argentina and in the Old Continent.

All in all, I think it comes down to : 4 downs against 3 downs. I find that 3 downs make it seem like an arcade game, wheras with 4 downs, the difference is that the game is more complex, with more strategies, on offence and on defence, which I prefer.

Old
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Do you read french? http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/foo...3_section_POS1

Basically they put the Riders in a great hotel (same hotel as the Commissioner) with top notch installations and conference rooms and gave the Als a hotel in which they specifically asked not to stay in. With less rooms then they wanted. Also no gym, ice pool, swimming pool, inadequate meeting rooms and were told they couldn't use the facilities at commonwealth. (Which leads me to ask what are they using then?)

Cohon then responds "all the good hotels in Edmonton were booked".

Old
11-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Nedved

jeez. i don't follow the cfl, but I feel like the als are always in the finals

Old
11-26-2010, 03:02 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Basically they put the Riders in a great hotel (same hotel as the Commissioner) with top notch installations and conference rooms and gave the Als a hotel in which they specifically asked not to stay in. With less rooms then they wanted. Also no gym, ice pool, swimming pool, inadequate meeting rooms, 4 showers in their locker room for 50 players and were told they couldn't use the facilities at commonwealth. (Which leads me to ask what are they using then?)

Total lack of respect for the Als !

I hope now they gonna trash the Riders by 40 points.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:04 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Total lack of respect for the Als !

I hope now they gonna trash the Riders by 40 points.
and if that happens we will be saying that crappy hotels build character.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Perrah

Quote:

Basically they put the Riders in a great hotel (same hotel as the Commissioner) with top notch installations and conference rooms and gave the Als a hotel in which they specifically asked not to stay in. With less rooms then they wanted. Also no gym, ice pool, swimming pool, inadequate meeting rooms and were told they couldn't use the facilities at commonwealth. (Which leads me to ask what are they using then?)

Ahhhh the tsn article when I read it didnt have that much about it. Hotel is a shafty thing why not put them all in the same one.The locker rooms there isnt much to be done.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Ahhhh the tsn article when I read it didnt have that much about it. Hotel is a shafty thing why not put them all in the same one.The locker rooms there isnt much to be done.
Yeah I read the TSN article too. It has 1/5 of the info of the original article of La Presse. Looks like they're just sweeping this under the carpet.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:17 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
The Al's locker room, right now, has 4 shower. For 50 players. That's less than what I had when I played football in high school, for frak's sake!
Again, where was this complaining during the regular season? They're crying wolf now, but every other visiting team has used that locker room for years and years without a problem...why cry about it all of a sudden?

Old
11-26-2010, 03:17 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Yeah I read the TSN article too. It has 1/5 of the info of the original article of La Presse. Looks like they're just sweeping this under the carpet.
Off course they are. After all, there is nothing wrong about mistreating people from Quebec and preventing them to compete fairly.

Closed Thread