HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Could teams be a little more original with their jerseys?

Old
11-26-2010, 03:21 PM
GreatCanadian

vCash: 500
I think it all depends on whether the NHL jerseys actually look good. I remember the Moncton Hawks had just a Winnipeg Jets jersey w/ it's own logo. Yes, it was a copy, but they looked good!

Would you rather a copy of a good jersey, or a crummy "original" jersey?

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
I think it all depends on whether the NHL jerseys actually look good. I remember the Moncton Hawks had just a Winnipeg Jets jersey w/ it's own logo. Yes, it was a copy, but they looked good!

Would you rather a copy of a good jersey, or a crummy "original" jersey?
The absolute worst was the Halifax Citadels with the Nordiques sweater with THAT logo

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:55 PM
GreatCanadian

I never understood having Halifax as Quebec's farm team. Seems to me that people in Hali just wouldn't warm up to a team from there.... I can't imagine there were too many Nordiques fans in Halifax. All they have in common is a Citadel, really

Oh, and yeah the jerseys were TERRIBLE! It only worked in Quebec. It just looked silly in any other context, and used by any other team!

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
I never understood having Halifax as Quebec's farm team. Seems to me that people in Hali just wouldn't warm up to a team from there.... I can't imagine there were too many Nordiques fans in Halifax. All they have in common is a Citadel, really

Oh, and yeah the jerseys were TERRIBLE! It only worked in Quebec. It just looked silly in any other context, and used by any other team!
The only good thing now is that the AHL is gone and now both Halifax and Moncton have Q teams with original uni's and sit 2nd and 3rd in attendance making the old AHL days a piece of hockey history.
With support that the then AHL teams could only dream of.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:32 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I agree about dumping the Canes jerseys, but I'm more of a fan of these

I actually like the color scheme on that jersey. Not crazy about the checkers, but I still give the jersey a thumbs up.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:47 PM
The Hutch

Would anyone have an educated guess on whether AHL teams are more likely to have an original jersey design if they are independently owned and operated?

I know the Heat are, but keep the Flames template. But then there is Rochester, Hershey, and Milwaukee that I know of as having independent owners.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
Would anyone have an educated guess on whether AHL teams are more likely to have an original jersey design if they are independently owned and operated?

I know the Heat are, but keep the Flames template. But then there is Rochester, Hershey, and Milwaukee that I know of as having independent owners.
Most of the independently owned have kept more than less of their own identity. The teams mentioned above, also the Moose, the Wolves, the Griffins.

Tommy Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
ThisIsOilCountry

It could be seen as a way for the organizations to save money, although it doesn't make much sense due the money they able to spend. Anyhow, the Griffins use Wings Pants, gloves,etc. Same with the Bulldogs and probably the Marlies. But if the organizations are two cheap to buy a few extra pairs of gloves and pant shells then something is wrong

ThisIsOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I could design better jerseys than half of them in the AHL.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I think unless their is an obvious advantage due to locality, teams should try to be original. I know many people were disappointed that the P-Bruins were not branded the Reds when they arrived in '92, but there is too much of an advantage to the Boston tie-in, not just for the team but for league attendance overall in New England.

I've never seen the advantage to naming a team say, "Devils" unless they are in the immediate Tri-state area. Although I do think the Lowell logo was slightly cooler with the very dangerous looking pitchfork carrier. Obviously no one in OKC cares much about Edmonton.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Much cooler than the regular ones

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I'm watching the OKC Barons vs the Wolves, and I can't help but notice how OKC has taken on the Edmonton jerseys. Why can't more minor league teams come up with their own color scheme? I hate when teams just use the parent jerseys and slap a different logo on the front.
That's why the Manitoba Moose rule. They are an independent and local owned and run team. They are one of those teams that the big club would have loved to have their colours for continuity sake, but the Moose would have none of that. Before the Vancouver Canucks they had no affiliation, much like the Chicago Wolves who also have their own team colours.

And you know what, I think the new Moose jerseys with the angry Moose logo is one of if not the nicest jersey in professional sports.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:56 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I actually like the color scheme on that jersey. Not crazy about the checkers, but I still give the jersey a thumbs up.
Coming from a graphic design background I can easily say ewww what are you thinking? That is one of the ugliest designs I have ever seen. Sometimes I wonder who has designed these. What control they have in the creativity department and if they themselves have any design background. lol

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:42 AM
crunchrulz

The orange color is with the Crunch "third" jerseys. The away color style is nicer than the home, making the numbers and names much easier to read. The orange theme, of course, relates to the Syrcause University colors as the Crunch try to get new fans to the building since they are losing long time traditional season ticket holders with the way the "team" is playing this year.

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchrulz View Post
The orange theme, of course, relates to the Syrcause University colors
Are you sure it isn't to go along with the Ducks? I guess I'll have to find a picture of these.

Edit: Yeah, those look more like SU jerseys.

Last edited by Bizarro Bandwagoner: 02-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I've never seen the advantage to naming a team say, "Devils" unless they are in the immediate Tri-state area. Although I do think the Lowell logo was slightly cooler with the very dangerous looking pitchfork carrier. Obviously no one in OKC cares much about Edmonton.
No, but they love their oil fields and identify with it. There's already an Oilers team in Tulsa, OK in the CHL. So it's not a stretch to have an oil theme for another team in that area.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
mtlhddoc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I think unless their is an obvious advantage due to locality, teams should try to be original. I know many people were disappointed that the P-Bruins were not branded the Reds when they arrived in '92, but there is too much of an advantage to the Boston tie-in, not just for the team but for league attendance overall in New England.

Being from the Providence area, deep in Bruins country, I like and see the advantage in both names. And really, the last few years, they should change their name to Bruins-Reds, because they sell and wear Reds merchandise almost as often as Bruins. I bought my wife a Reds jersey, my oldest a Reds sweatshirt and I am the lone wolf in the family wearing a P-Bruins pullover.

mtlhddoc2 is offline   Reply With Quote