HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Critically Important Question about Hockey in HD

Old
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
Damn, you guys are making me want to buy a new HD TV even though I'm perfectly happy with the one I got

But the new ones look so good!

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:25 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Hooked up my TV last night. Haven't gone through calibration yet, but holy ****ing hell is it incredible!

I think 54" might be a tad too large for my room... lol... or not... my bedroom is now basically a movie theater! Once I get a surround sound system I may never leave the house.

Tested out some NHL on the Fly... Montreal's broadcast was noticeably better than the rest, but then again there wasn't much going on last night. Also watched bits of Avatar and some other stuff in HD... holy crap.

Tried out the 3D with Ice Age: Dawn of Dinosaurs, which came with the TV... so torn... the glasses are annoying as hell, but it was such an interesting and cool experience to watch it that way in my room.

Now I'm off to go grab a bunch of cheap blu-rays this weekend!
One of the greatest feelings in life is turning on that new big screen, especially when it's a serious upgrade over your previous television.

The size issue is why I went for the Mitsubishi with the integrated sound system. Really saves on space while still delivering big sounds.

I was torn on the 3-D as I just didn't feel like being an early adaptor again. If I have friends over for a game, I'm going to need like 5 pairs of glasses so I decided to wait until it's more of a standard feature. Still, I'm kind of bummed I'm still only in 2D

As for the cables, there really isn't a big difference with them as long as it's not some 20 foot cable we are talking about. I would recommend a power center for it though as you do not want to have any power surges harm your new baby.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Yeah the glasses are a burn. Part of the reason I sprung for it was because with the bundle, I have 3 pairs of glasses. The other reason is because the TV can get firmware updates, which makes me more comfortable being an early adaptor, which I generally never do.

That and the hockey 3d demo. My God... I have to fighter out how to watch the hnic 3d game in December and February.

Does feel like a novelty though... but such a cool one. The 3d HD picture was absolutely insane!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

If you're buying HDMI cables, get whatever is cheapest. It's not like in the analog days when cables made a difference. It's digital - it's either on, or it's not. Get the cheapest HDMI cable you can find.

Technology exists to display 3D images without the use of glasses (it'll be rolled out to US consumers soon once they improve the technology to not require sitting so close to the TV - http://247wallst.com/2010/10/05/a-ne...ithout-buyers/), so it's good you opted against a 3D set that requires glasses now. Those will be obsolete in no time.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I upgraded from a 10 year old 27" Panasonic CRT to the Sony KDL-52EX700 (52" 1080p 120hz LED LCDTV) and I don't regret it one bit. Hockey in HD looks AMAZING on it, especially from about 10 feet back, where my couch is. Also, movies and shows in HD look awesome too. I haven't bought a Blu-Ray player yet but I know those movies will look even better.

Once you go HD, there's no turning back....

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:19 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If you're buying HDMI cables, get whatever is cheapest. It's not like in the analog days when cables made a difference. It's digital - it's either on, or it's not. Get the cheapest HDMI cable you can find.

Technology exists to display 3D images without the use of glasses (it'll be rolled out to US consumers soon once they improve the technology to not require sitting so close to the TV - http://247wallst.com/2010/10/05/a-ne...ithout-buyers/), so it's good you opted against a 3D set that requires glasses now. Those will be obsolete in no time.
$2900 for a 20" LCD screen that is only 720p... that's pretty insane. Sounds like that's about 2-3 years from being something worth buying.

I'd love to see what it looks like though. If the experience is similar to 3D now, just without the glasses or if the look of it is very different.

The crumby thing about it is while now you can buy a 3D ready TV if you decide to take the plunge later on, this sounds like there is nothing you can do but buy a new one whenever they come out here in larger sizes and more generous viewing angles and distance.

I'm kind of shocked this technology exists... short of a hologram, I didn't think 3D through projection only would be an option.

Although now that I think of it, a friend of mine saw the new nintendo handheld at E3 this year and told me how it was 3D without glasses. He could really explain it to me other than to say its pretty frigging amazing.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Just passing through...hey, nice TV...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:38 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I have yet to see a 3D movie that I was impressed with. Blu-ray I can see it, I have a big sound system for my TV so it's worth $100 to buy a Bluray player. 3D? I'm passing on it. Maybe it comes down to how each person perceives these movies but I could really care less if it's 3D or 2D. HD is a must, 3D still seems like a gimmick.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote