Notices

Interesting Stuff - Settlement and Free Agents

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2005, 12:15 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Interesting Stuff - Settlement and Free Agents

Brooks names some of the free agents and players that will likely not be qualified. Arnott would be interesting, as well as a few other players. Sounds like a reasonable cap as well. If it is true they will implement the 24% decrease in salary, the Flames will be in a position to add some talent.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/24571.htm

Old
05-29-2005, 08:12 PM
King_Brown

I highly doubt that the players would accept linkage, a cap, and other restraints and also give there 24% rollback also, that would be deadly.

Old
05-29-2005, 09:57 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
I highly doubt that the players would accept linkage, a cap, and other restraints and also give there 24% rollback also, that would be deadly.
I cant see how they could get the highly paid teams down to a reasonable amount without doing the rollback. If they didn't, some teams entire budget would be used by a few players - and the rest would have to be bargain basement players. Talk about a recipe for disaster. I think even the high falutin, overpaid guys are going to have to take a hit as well as everyone else, and that would pretty well dictate a rollback.

Old
05-30-2005, 07:50 AM
abracanada

Some of the more salient points in the article include:

Expect an initial upper limit of between $36-38M, with a floor of approximately $24-28M per team under either scenario.

Good news for small market teams.

Slap Shots has been told that the new CBA will in fact include the 24 percent salary rollback first offered by the union on Dec. 9.

Which would, in effect, reduce the Flames payroll by 24 percent. Iggy for 5 million anyone?

With unrestricted free agency to be established at 30 for at least this year — and expected to be lowered over the term of the agreement to 29 or 28 — the class available this summer will feature:

Goaltenders: Nikolai Khabibulin, Chris Osgood, Sean Burke, Mike Dunham.

Defensemen: Niedermayer, Stevens, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, Rafalski, Aucoin, Matt Schneider, Alexei Zhitnik, Dan McGillis, Chris Chelios, Mike Rathje, Sandis Ozolinsh.

Centers: Peter Forsberg, Mike Modano, Eric Lindros, Pavol Demitra, Alexei Zhamnov, Jason Allison.

Wingers: Martin St. Louis, Markus Naslund, Zigmund Palffy, Alex Kovalev, Glen Murray, Paul Kariya, Gary Roberts.

In addition, cap considerations make it likely that a number of intriguing players —including Saku Koivu, Derek Morris, Brendan Morrison, Jeff O'Neill, Jason Arnott, Mark Parrish, Tom Poti, Jeff Friesen and Kenny Jonsson — will not be qualified and thus will be on the market.

Hopefully, Brooks has it right. Things would look awfully rosie for the Flames if he is. The question is, who would the Flames lose?

I believe it is also important to know, that Brooks is very much a mouthpiece for the NHLPA. Do you think he would be suggesting the pot would be sweeter for the owners if it wasn't?

Last edited by abracanada: 05-30-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
chriss_co

The rollback only applies to signed players... and since Iggy will be a free agent (restricted probably) there is a chance that he might sign at a much higher contract than we all expect

iggy can point to contracts paid to the highest players in the league (in the 10-11 mill range) calculate the rollback and then argue that he deserves that much... in that case, we have to pay iggy at about 8 million US a year

the good thing i guess is we can keep iggy... bad news is he still eats up a huge salary

Old
05-30-2005, 05:42 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
The rollback only applies to signed players... and since Iggy will be a free agent (restricted probably) there is a chance that he might sign at a much higher contract than we all expect

iggy can point to contracts paid to the highest players in the league (in the 10-11 mill range) calculate the rollback and then argue that he deserves that much... in that case, we have to pay iggy at about 8 million US a year

the good thing i guess is we can keep iggy... bad news is he still eats up a huge salary
But if you qualify him, you are entitled to compensation. It is possible he won't be restricted I suppose, and you raise a valid point.

Old
06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Wags

Do the qualifying amounts also fall under the rollback?...if so then qualifying Iginla would be rather easy financially speaking.

Old
06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags
Do the qualifying amounts also fall under the rollback?...if so then qualifying Iginla would be rather easy financially speaking.
I would imagine the qualifying offers would have to be included because, with the number of free agents out there, if the qualifying offers werent included, it would be like starting all over again. I am pretty sure they don't want to do that.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Blarney

I think that the qualifying offer would be rolled back. The problem here is whether Iginla would accept it or hold out, ala Peca and others in the past. Probably not.

The big problem is the possible lowering of the UFA to 28 eventually, whereupon to keep Iginla CGY would need to break the bank, probably to the amount he earned when he last played or more, I would think. Iginla is 28 in a month, but the scuttlebutt points to a gradual lowering of the UFA age to 28 from 30. If that happens, then Iginla would probably be a UFA next year at age 29, meaning CGY only has him for one more year guaranteed, the rest is up to ownership and Iginla.

At least that is the way I got it figured.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Blarney

As for UFA's I'd like to see come to CGY: from the 2004 list of available UFA's on TSN, there are really only Carter, Demitra, Palffy, Allison and Kariya that I think would really fill the secondary scoring role this team needs behind Iginla. I haven't seen a complete list of players who would be becoming UFA's this year, anyone have a link to one?

Of them, I'd like to see CGY take a chance on Allison, he's had a long time to recover from what I remember was a misdiagnosed injury (it was the misdiagnosis and not the injury that caused it to be so long). He'd go great with Iginla, and I think he has the toughness, although his work ethic and getting along with management have been questioned, which I think is hogwash. I also think that one of the 30 teams will give him a contract that isn't limited by a performance or games played clause -- I think he is healthy enough to play a good number of years, why not on CGY.

Old
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarney
As for UFA's I'd like to see come to CGY: from the 2004 list of available UFA's on TSN, there are really only Carter, Demitra, Palffy, Allison and Kariya that I think would really fill the secondary scoring role this team needs behind Iginla. I haven't seen a complete list of players who would be becoming UFA's this year, anyone have a link to one?

Of them, I'd like to see CGY take a chance on Allison, he's had a long time to recover from what I remember was a misdiagnosed injury (it was the misdiagnosis and not the injury that caused it to be so long). He'd go great with Iginla, and I think he has the toughness, although his work ethic and getting along with management have been questioned, which I think is hogwash. I also think that one of the 30 teams will give him a contract that isn't limited by a performance or games played clause -- I think he is healthy enough to play a good number of years, why not on CGY.
Amen

Closed Thread