HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Fire Ron Wilson... ASAP PART II

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Azumi*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
so what is this disastrous style called that Wilson so loves to use?
Confused and Sloppy

Old
11-26-2010, 11:04 PM
LecavalierToLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
say what you will about the way he handles his players, but he runs a fantastic PP and PK...
It's funny because he doesn't

Old
11-26-2010, 11:05 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
It's not a "run n gun" style like you guys like to think. Where the hell did you guys even come up with that crap? Do you think that there is only 2 styles to play?
Lol really? Please enlighten me then smart guy. He basically has the entire team join the offensive rush and have the defensemen heavily pinch and as a result we lead the league in turnovers and give up numerous odd man rushes each game.

I never said there are only 2 styles to play, there are many different styles, but clearly the "style" Wilson uses is best suited for an offensive team, which this is not.

When your strength is defense and goaltending, common sense would be to use it to your advantage.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:07 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
so what is this disastrous style called that Wilson so loves to use?
It's an aggressive fore-check where the players are supposed to go hard after the puck, puck carrier, be defensively responsible etc. For the most part they have been doing it right(they have a strong defensive stat to prove it), they just haven't been able to execute the offense part of it properly, this is due to a # of things like our youth and in-experience. You guys like to think that Burke thinks that this is some great team that is going to accomplish great things this year, guess what, he doesn't, he knows about the scoring woes, but what did you expect from such a young team? Also, unlike you Burke's main focus isn't on what draft pick he gave up, it's about his team and what he can do to improve it without hurting the roster to much(ie giving up young players/prospects in trades), his focus is also to let this team play, develop and grow together.

A "run n gun" system is not defensively responsible and if we were playing it like most of you like to think then our defensive stats would be much worse and we'd be getting blown out every loss!

Old
11-26-2010, 11:08 PM
LecavalierToLeafs

Doug Gilmour.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:09 PM
javier

The thing I'd want to know is when the Leafs started 4-0 this year, they show great team speed, especially on the forecheck, teams were having trouble keeping up with them. What happened? You dont see anywhere near that kind of speed anymore.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:13 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Lol really? Please enlighten me then smart guy. He basically has the entire team join the offensive rush and have the defensemen heavily pinch and as a result we lead the league in turnovers and give up numerous odd man rushes each game.

I never said there are only 2 styles to play, there are many different styles, but clearly the "style" Wilson uses is best suited for an offensive team, which this is not.

When your strength is defense and goaltending, common sense would be to use it to your advantage.
Yeah, that's why our team has good defensive stats, it has nothing to do with the style at all.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Yeah, that's why our team has good defensive stats, it has nothing to do with the style at all.
The only good defensive stat is GA/G...we lead the league in turnovers and have a bottom 5 PK.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:23 PM
P I K E Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecavalierToLeafs View Post
Doug Gilmour.
that spin-o-rama wrap around goal<3

Old
11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecavalierToLeafs View Post
Doug Gilmour.
I love some fans around here. Not trying to single you out, because I've seen too many people say Gilmour should be the coach. He's not even one of the better coaches in the OHL. He's 61-64-12 in three years with Kingston, and isn't even a full-time head coach.

As for the thread, I find it funny that people are calling for Wilson's head. The call to sit Kaberle was a great one, he came back in the second and had an awesome period. As for our 'run and gun' style, he's got us from giving up 3.21 goals a game last year (good for 29th), to now giving up 2.67 goals a game (good for a tie for 11th this year). Our problem is scoring goals, not defending.

Anyways, as is always in this market. Team is plays bad? Fire the coach. Scotty freakin' Bowman could be behind the bench and we'd have people calling for his head.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Nickolopolous

Wilson needs to go, this team is defined by sloppy play and lacklustre efforts. Has been for some time now.

Old
11-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Dwight K Schrute

Hire Gilmour as HC--- sign Brad Richards and Alex Semin In Offseason with the money we save on Giggy and Kaberle-- hell-- send komisarek to the minor if we have to.

Kadri Richards Kessel
Kule Bozak Semin
Macar Verst Armstrong
Caputi Hanson Orr

Schenn Phaneuf
Beauch Gunner
Aulie Ehrhoff(why not)

Gustavsson
Rynnas

BOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Old
11-26-2010, 11:32 PM
P I K E Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BylerTozak View Post
Hire Gilmour as HC--- sign Brad Richards and Alex Semin In Offseason with the money we save on Giggy and Kaberle-- hell-- send komisarek to the minor if we have to.

Kadri Richards Kessel
Kule Bozak Semin
Macar Verst Armstrong
Caputi Hanson Orr

Schenn Phaneuf
Beauch Gunner
Aulie Earhoff(why not)

Gustavsson
Rynnas

BOOOOOOOOOOMMMM
one can dream<3

Old
11-26-2010, 11:39 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
The only good defensive stat is GA/G...we lead the league in turnovers and have a bottom 5 PK.
So the most important stat for defense isn't important? Oh and I forgot that it is Wilson who gives the pucks away, it's not the players on the ice trying to make a dumb stretch pass, actually it was probably Wilson who told them to do that right? The PK has nothing to do with the 5-on-5 system, FYI! How-ever, This is the area that I can agree with most of you to have concern in.

Old
11-27-2010, 12:00 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I don't see anything wrong with the results, why would you want to fire the coach?

Seriously, this is all the fans deserve.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Kalhua

Quote:
Originally Posted by BylerTozak View Post

Kadri Richards Kessel
Kule Bozak Semin
Macar Verst Armstrong
Caputi Hanson Orr

Schenn Phaneuf
Beauch Gunner
Aulie Ehrhoff(why not)

Gustavsson
Rynnas

BOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Little thing called a salary cap goodness quit the crap and stop dreaming.Its like you think its so easy and simple.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
As for our 'run and gun' style, he's got us from giving up 3.21 goals a game last year (good for 29th), to now giving up 2.67 goals a game (good for a tie for 11th this year). Our problem is scoring goals, not defending.
I bet most of the improvement was due to getting rid of Toskala, not anything Wilson has done.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:08 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhua View Post
Little thing called a salary cap goodness quit the crap and stop dreaming.Its like you think its so easy and simple.
it really is tho... become a bad team and stay really bad... blow it up... then in 5-8 years u have no choice but to be good... dont trade picks... dont make big FA signings.. and bam ur LA, STL, WAS, CHI, PIT, TB

its that easy.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:10 AM
robdicks

this threads a joke.. coaching in hockey is sooo overrated.. everyone basically does the same stuff... its a players game they need PLAYERS WHO CAN PLAY! thats on the GM.. is it too early to can him? probably, but thats what needs to be done.. Wilson can't do much with what he has been given

Old
11-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Kalhua

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
it really is tho... become a bad team and stay really bad... blow it up... then in 5-8 years u have no choice but to be good... dont trade picks... dont make big FA signings.. and bam ur LA, STL, WAS, CHI, PIT, TB

its that easy.
No its not that easy...the Islanders have sucked for how long and look where they still sit...

Old
11-27-2010, 02:23 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
this threads a joke.. coaching in hockey is sooo overrated.. everyone basically does the same stuff... its a players game they need PLAYERS WHO CAN PLAY! thats on the GM.. is it too early to can him? probably, but thats what needs to be done.. Wilson can't do much with what he has been given
I'd like to nominate this for idiotic post of the year.

Scotty Bowman. Mike Babcock. You Fail.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:25 AM
kevynadams42

Quote:
It's been said before and I'll say it again, Wilson cannot make a low-talent team better, he can only coach teams where the talent level is already high (San Jose, Team USA).
You're right, I guess you were not paying attention during his first coaching gig in Anaheim where he took an expansion team to the second round of the playoffs in its fourth season.

You must also not have been watching during his first year in Washington when he took a team that did not make the playoffs the year before he was there, to the Stanley Cup Finals in his first season.

Maybe you were not a hockey fan during his first full season in San Jose. In that season, he took the team that missed the playoffs the year before to the conference final.

You are right. He only coaches good teams. Please think before you speak.

Lastly, I had my moments where I thought Wilson should be canned. Then I began to think logically. Look at this team. Look how bad the forwards are. Look how unreliable 4 out of 6 of the dmen are every night. This is a team where the only consistent players are Tim Brent, Freddy Sjostrom, Luke Schenn, and Jonas Gustavsson. This is not a good team. There is not a coach in the world that could do better with these players. Plain and simple.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:29 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevynadams42 View Post
You're right, I guess you were not paying attention during his first coaching gig in Anaheim where he took an expansion team to the second round of the playoffs in its fourth season.

You must also not have been watching during his first year in Washington when he took a team that did not make the playoffs the year before he was there, to the Stanley Cup Finals in his first season.

Maybe you were not a hockey fan during his first full season in San Jose. In that season, he took the team that missed the playoffs the year before to the conference final.

You are right. He only coaches good teams. Please think before you speak.

Lastly, I had my moments where I thought Wilson should be canned. Then I began to think logically. Look at this team. Look how bad the forwards are. Look how unreliable 4 out of 6 of the dmen are every night. This is a team where the only consistent players are Tim Brent, Freddy Sjostrom, Luke Schenn, and Jonas Gustavsson. This is not a good team. There is not a coach in the world that could do better with these players. Plain and simple.
Following that notion, it's all the more reason why we need to have an actual system or strategy in place. Wilson only knows how to utter "let's go" and not much else.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevynadams42 View Post
So you're saying Fire Burke instead, after all he is one that supplied the talent that is not very good?.

11-27-2010, 02:45 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
I'd like to nominate this for idiotic post of the year.

Scotty Bowman. Mike Babcock. You Fail.
I said it was overrated not non-existent

and besides you show me a good coach i show u a good team... its a little easier to coach yzerman, fedorov, lidstrom, zetterberg, datsyuk, hull, and the like than it is to coach kessel and bozak...

scotty bowman doesnt make this team a cup contender not a chance in hell

Closed Thread