HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

It's All About Work for Tangradi

Old
11-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Even then that's not necessarily a bad thing, having all those high skilled AHLers. It's just a shame that Tangradi isn't up with two of them instead of being on the third line.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:29 PM
JTG

Wrong thread...

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

I believe Tangradi is one of those players who will play his best hockey when challenged and going against the best competition. That's why I don't think the "wait until he dominates the AHL level" will pay off AFA his development.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
I believe Tangradi is one of those players who will play his best hockey when challenged and going against the best competition. That's why I don't think the "wait until he dominates the AHL level" will pay off AFA his development.
Agreed, 100%.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:59 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I can see why some of you aren't scouts. Caputi part 2?

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Jag68Sid87

post deleted....

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:32 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Agreed. Some of the chicken littles on here...Tangradi is only in his second pro season. Secondly, why burn a year on your entry level unnecessarily? He's not ready for top 6 yet. Don't rush this kid. I like his work ethic, he'll be fine...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Dupree13

From what I saw of Tangradi, I thought his skating was sub-par. He looked slow and weak on his skates, and that's the primary reason that he was ineffective. IMO. Furthermore, I think he needs to add more weight. I was told he had an NHL body but he looked a little lanky. Tatars may have been slow but he was strong on his skates and built like a house. Tangradi needs to build more strength if he wants to be the next tatars.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
From what I saw of Tangradi, I thought his skating was sub-par. He looked slow and weak on his skates, and that's the primary reason that he was ineffective. IMO. Furthermore, I think he needs to add more weight. I was told he had an NHL body but he looked a little lanky. Tatars may have been slow but he was strong on his skates and built like a house. Tangradi needs to build more strength if he wants to be the next tatars.
Am I the only one that has no idea what you're talking about here?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
The guy is 221 pounds, he's not gonna add any more weight.. and I thought his skating was fine to be honest.. it could use a little more work but it's one of his better assets, but he can still get stronger on them like you said.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Am I the only one that has no idea what you're talking about here?
The Tatars. You know, Ghengis Khan and the Golden Horde? Dudes with sabres?

They're not very fast on their skates, duh. Mother****ers are like lightning on horseback, though.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
The guy is 221 pounds, he's not gonna add any more weight.. and I thought his skating was fine to be honest.. it could use a little more work but it's one of his better assets, but he can still get stronger on them like you said.
I guess scales don't lie but he looked to me like he had some room to add to that frame.

LOL at Golden Hordes. I meant Taters.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post

They're not very fast on their skates, duh. Mother****ers are like lightning on horseback, though.

Quote:
I guess scales don't lie but he looked to me like he had some room to add to that frame.

LOL at Golden Hordes. I meant Taters.
Ahhh. The best I had was that you were for some reason comparing Tangradi to Tomas Tatar, and possibly his brother (should one exist).

Old
11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

I guess my point was, I don't think he's ever going to be the guy that lights the AHL on fire, so waiting for that as your "signal" to bring him up is a mistake. Not saying he needs to come up here now, only that the real goal should be for him to convince the coaches he's worked on his weak edges enough (skating, hands, whatever it is), to be sent back up. It shouldn't be about point totals IOW but sounder fundamentals, etc that indicate he's ready to get to Disco's game.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Jacob

A supposedly-legit top-6 NHL winger should have no problem carrying the scoring load on his own line in the AHL.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A supposedly-legit top-6 NHL winger should have no problem carrying the scoring load on his own line in the AHL.
Agreed. If you look at it, not too many legit NHL scoring forwards spend more than a year or so in the AHL. Not to say we should give up on Tangradi, but to view him as the automatic heir to Kevin Stevens is not really a good idea.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
How did not dominating in the A work out for Stewart, Neal, Backes...?

How did dominating the A work out for John Slaney, Milan Kraft, Don Biggs, Chris Snell, etc?

Success in the A means very little and has never been a reliable way to determine how successful or poorly a player will do in the NHL.

Anyone who has followed the A knows that.

I said it at the beg. of the year it will take a lot longer for Tangradi to develop than people are hoping for.

People felt it was best for him to go "back to the A and dominate" and I didn't agree with that and never will.

You become a legit NHL player by playing agt. NHL players. There is no way around that.

He'll be fine, and work his way back to the NHL eventually. But if people expect him to dominate in the A and feel it will have some kind of bearing on his NHL success, then you need to watch more AHL hockey I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Agreed. If you look at it, not too many legit NHL scoring forwards spend more than a year or so in the AHL. Not to say we should give up on Tangradi, but to view him as the automatic heir to Kevin Stevens is not really a good idea.
Stevens was almost 25 years old before he stuck with the Pens full time and found success at the NHL level.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:30 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
Agreed. Some of the chicken littles on here...Tangradi is only in his second pro season. Secondly, why burn a year on your entry level unnecessarily? He's not ready for top 6 yet. Don't rush this kid. I like his work ethic, he'll be fine...
That year is burned anyway. Doesnt matter if he play in the NHL or AHL.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Pens17

Quote:
OK, provide even a scintilla of OBJECTIVE analysis why it is different this time!

Pens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
SkullSplitter

Tangradi's built like a horse, a pretty good skater for his size, has decent hands, decent hockey IQ, and a nose for the net. I'm not worried about him. He's going to bring something to the team in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
It doesn't work that way, AHL means he's getting paid, means he's using up contract time. He'll have one year left on his contract after this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post

Actually the Tatars were enemies of Genghis Khan who poisoned his father, and he later conquered them. Although he often assimililated conquered armies into his, so there were probably some Tatars in the horde.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:20 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Actually the Tatars were enemies of Genghis Khan who poisoned his father, and he later conquered them. Although he often assimililated conquered armies into his, so there were probably some Tatars in the horde.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Genghi...g.-a0163653180

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:23 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Tangradi had a good game last night.

Hustled every shift. Had a few devastating checks. Constantly planted himself in front of the net. Scored a goal on a nice deflection in the high slot off a Bortuzzo shot.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:56 AM
SkullSplitter

Yes, Genghis took many concubines, as well as his legitimate sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

Hustled every shift. Had a few devastating checks. Constantly planted himself in front of the net. Scored a goal on a nice deflection in the high slot off a Bortuzzo shot.
Good to hear. That's what he needs to be doing. I've got faith in him.

We need someone who can constantly wreck people Gary Roberts style. Even if it's just on the 3rd line.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

Now he just needs to play like this consistently in the AHL.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:02 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens17 View Post
OK, provide even a scintilla of OBJECTIVE analysis why it is different this time!

He's bigger, a better skater, he's stronger, he has better puck skills and he's a better hitter.