HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shopping on a budget!! Best cheap gear?

Old
11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

vCash: 500
Shopping on a budget!! Best cheap gear?

I just started mens league and the dues are over 300$ which leaves me at a budget to replace the gear i grew out of.. so i want the your opinion

What is the best composite stick under 100$

What are the best skates under 200$

And what are the best/ most protective shinguards under 50$ (i play defense fequently so what are the most protective to block shots)

Overall preferably the cheaper the better

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
try dailyhockeydeal.com .... They had some special Black friday sales that are still going.

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

This stick ROCKS for under 100.00 bucks.

http://toronto.flyerland.ca/products...roduct-6129731

I just picked one up at Canadian Tire and was real impressed with it.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a huge writeup on beginners gear here, feel free to ask any questions.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have a huge writeup on beginners gear here, feel free to ask any questions.
Thank you very much.. your guide helped alot.. i am not typically a beginner i have just been out of the game for a few years.. i was curious if there was anyway to find gear that was brand new a few years ago(when i played last) The bauer vapor XXX was the brand new stick with all the hype and i liked it alot.. i myself had the XX and i loved that stick. but i can only find on ebay "repaired" vapor XX sticks for pretty cheap 60$ but i am VERY worried about the durability since the stick was once broken

Old
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegarrett View Post
Thank you very much.. your guide helped alot.. i am not typically a beginner i have just been out of the game for a few years.. i was curious if there was anyway to find gear that was brand new a few years ago(when i played last) The bauer vapor XXX was the brand new stick with all the hype and i liked it alot.. i myself had the XX and i loved that stick. but i can only find on ebay "repaired" vapor XX sticks for pretty cheap 60$ but i am VERY worried about the durability since the stick was once broken
I wouldn't buy a repaired stick personally, if you like Vapor sticks just go with a new X40, not sure about the States but in Canada they're $100 on the dot at pretty much every store. One of the most popular sticks at the beer league level for a good reason, nice performance at a decent price.

As for skates, it's all about fit, but some that I'd try on in the $200 range would be Bauer X30s, Bauer one60s, and Rbk 6Ks.

As for shin guards, they're pretty much all good, I've always worn cheap shin guards and barely ever feel slap shots. Nothin wrong with something like Rbk 3Ks, or really any other $40-60 shin guard, just try em on in store and see what's most comfortable. Ideally try them on with the skates so you can get the ideal length, which might depend somewhat on whether you flop the tongues of your skates and wear the shin guard below, or if you keep the tongues straight and have the bottom of the shin guard overlap the tongue.

Last edited by ponder: 11-28-2010 at 01:27 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Thanks Ponder, i do believe the Vapor X40's range from 90-100 in the states. I have read good things about that stick on these boards and on the reviews on hockeygiant
I have looked into the X30's and have been comparing them to the X20's if i can i will definatly go with the X30's. I know skates are the most important piece of gear to spend more cash on. A good light stick is always important as well for the right price of course. I have used Bauer my whole life as far as Composites go.. Nike as well. When they were there own brand (Apollo* model) I have been satisfied with the performance of the vapor sticks but i have always been curious of Warrior sticks.. They came out just when i was going out of hockey and i never got to see them much.. Going back to the rink now.. I see them everywere around the intermediate to advanced levels. They seem popular but a bit more pricey

Old
11-28-2010, 03:00 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

For Shin guards, get Bauer one15's.

About $20, work great.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In the last two games I've seen one teammate get a concussion so bad he could barely remember the game and another teammate likely break her leg tonight blocking a slapper. Glad I sprang for a new helmet and shin guards this summer

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:46 PM
mhkehoe

I recently bought a Warrior AK27 shaft, it has been one of the best sticks I have had. It can be had for around $90, and you can throw a few different standard wood blades in there and find a curve you like. I got mine a bit cheaper because it was last years model.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:13 AM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
I recently bought a Warrior AK27 shaft, it has been one of the best sticks I have had. It can be had for around $90, and you can throw a few different standard wood blades in there and find a curve you like. I got mine a bit cheaper because it was last years model.
Thanks for your input on your knowledge and expierence with warrior sticks..
I personally have never been a fan of the two piece sticks. i can never get the flex anything like the flex on a 1 piece. but i was using a senior 87 flex CCM vector when i was 14.. about 5'8'' 130.. so i should have used intermediate.
The biggest pro to the 2 piece is the price since i already know my perfect curve (bauer P106 Jokinen) gotta love the heel curves

Old
11-29-2010, 01:59 AM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Thanks for your input on your knowledge and expierence with warrior sticks..
I personally have never been a fan of the two piece sticks. i can never get the flex anything like the flex on a 1 piece. but i was using a senior 87 flex CCM vector when i was 14.. about 5'8'' 130.. so i should have used intermediate.
The biggest pro to the 2 piece is the price since i already know my perfect curve (bauer P106 Jokinen) gotta love the heel curves
I've grown up using a two piece so I guess I am used to it, and I just enjoy the ability to swap blades. I tend to stick with either the PM9 or P88 curves, but I like to know that I can keep the shaft consistent between those.

The few times I have used a one-piece, it always felt odd to me. Initially I thought it was due to using wood blades in the past, but after trying a composite blade, I am starting to think it is either my team mates buying cheap sticks or possibly the tapered one piece design vs the standard shafts I usually purchase.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:34 AM
bokchoy

Quote:
I just started mens league and the dues are over 300$ which leaves me at a budget to replace the gear i grew out of.. so i want the your opinion

What is the best composite stick under 100$

What are the best skates under 200$

And what are the best/ most protective shinguards under 50$ (i play defense fequently so what are the most protective to block shots)

Overall preferably the cheaper the better
For stick: The Bauer Supreme OneX5 series are being cycled out for the Bauer Supreme X0 sticks. You might be able to find good deals on them. I got a one75 for $100.00 (regular $150)

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Ponder, i do believe the Vapor X40's range from 90-100 in the states. I have read good things about that stick on these boards and on the reviews on hockeygiant
I have looked into the X30's and have been comparing them to the X20's if i can i will definatly go with the X30's. I know skates are the most important piece of gear to spend more cash on. A good light stick is always important as well for the right price of course. I have used Bauer my whole life as far as Composites go.. Nike as well. When they were there own brand (Apollo* model) I have been satisfied with the performance of the vapor sticks but i have always been curious of Warrior sticks.. They came out just when i was going out of hockey and i never got to see them much.. Going back to the rink now.. I see them everywere around the intermediate to advanced levels. They seem popular but a bit more pricey
I've got both the X40 stick and the X30 skates and I have been very pleased with both. After the break in period the the X30s have been very comfortable and I have no foot pain at all. The X40 is a great stick and I got the 77 flex with the Kane curve for $100. I am really happy with how both my slappers and wristers come off this stick. I have used the skates for about a year and the stick for a couple months.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote