HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Sabres 3-1

Old
11-28-2010, 01:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Hamrlik's a clever player, but sometimes you gotta wonder when you see him out there with Subban how can a 21 years old make passes and handle the puck so easily, while a 15 years veteran struggles to just dump a puck on his backhand.

Talent really is a strange phenomena, but even then, Hamrlik was picked 1st overall...
Hamrlik doesn't have the skill of subban but you can see why he was picked first overall. He's a steady presence, can mentor, play a two-way game and he's got some pretty good size. At the time, teams probably felt he was the total package or something.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Hamrlik's a clever player, but sometimes you gotta wonder when you see him out there with Subban how can a 21 years old make passes and handle the puck so easily, while a 15 years veteran struggles to just dump a puck on his backhand.

Talent really is a strange phenomena, but even then, Hamrlik was picked 1st overall...
yeah but did you ever SEE hamrlik at 21?? he was amazing man, 16 goals and 49 assists for 65 points... we'll be lucky to see that from gomez this year...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
What was the 22% in reference to? I heard Spacek say that, but couldn't figure it out... might be the beer
I think it was his shooting %. I'm half asleep right now so can't tell you while being 100% sure.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think it was his shooting %. I'm half asleep right now so can't tell you while being 100% sure.
Go to bed, we'll behave!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hamrlik doesn't have the skill of subban but you can see why he was picked first overall. He's a steady presence, can mentor, play a two-way game and he's got some pretty good size. At the time, teams probably felt he was the total package or something.
Its interesting how certain guys can evolve. He came into the league and showed the ability to put up points, but he was bad defensively. This problem was further compounded by having to play with a bad expansion team. Today, he is known to be a solid d-man who doesn't go looking for offense like he used to. This has been the evolution of hamrlik and even after playing 17 some seasons, he's still ticking.

As for the game itself, I just love the ability of this team not to go on any prolonged losing streaks. In that aspect, this team is very reminiscent of the 07/08 habs that wound up as the 1st seed. I dont know if its just me, but I get the feeling this season with the habs that it's "first goal wins".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I hear a lot of complaining about Gomez, but I thought he had a really good game. He made some really nice plays out there (ex: pass to AKost all alone in front).

I also really liked Pouliot out there tonight. He looked really good and made some really nice plays. I like him and Eller together. Just a matter of time before they start putting 'em in.

Montreal doesn't need to make a trade (especially not for Penner, who is way overpaid for a 28 year old that has only broken 50 points once). They're doing really well as it is.

Pacioretti is doing really well with the Dogs so if they needed to bring someone up, they might look at giving him a call-up.
Yes, Pouliot played quite well. He's been pretty good the whole year on the bottom six. He's a pretty strong forechecker who can cause turnovers, and he's working hard. It seems like he's more relaxed in the bottom 6, and he's just keeping things simple. Its working.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 11-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
yeah but did you ever SEE hamrlik at 21?? he was amazing man, 16 goals and 49 assists for 65 points... we'll be lucky to see that from gomez this year...
Be lucky to see half that from Gomez this year.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:03 AM
samorye

You almost had carey.

samorye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i wish but can't get hopes up

trade moen and there's little deterrent or grit on the team...guys like boyd, maxwell, weber, 2nd rounder, etc should be considered instead
I'm trying to figure out why it's always a second rounder? dosn't matter who the player is were trying to get, a first is way too much to offer up. [End Rant]

Happy with the game, the only negative was Price not getting the shutout, but I thought everyone showed up.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:25 AM
MikeyPeenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Akost Pleks Gio
Pouliot Eller Cammy
Pyatt Gomez Lapierre
Moen Halpern Darche

Give her a try! Throw eller with some offensive threats and maybe something good might come out of it.
this is it.
perfect balance
you must be kirk muller

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPeenz View Post
this is it.
perfect balance
you must be kirk muller
agreed, thats the best line up ive seen yet

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Akost Pleks Gio
Pouliot Eller Cammy
Pyatt Gomez Lapierre
Moen Halpern Darche

Give her a try! Throw eller with some offensive threats and maybe something good might come out of it.
Perfect.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:59 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Yes, Pouliot played quite well. He's been pretty good the whole year on the bottom six. He's a pretty strong forechecker who can cause turnovers, and he's working hard. It seems like he's more relaxed in the bottom 6, and he's just keeping things simple. Its working.
the way he and Eller are playing lately they'll probably both end up on the top 6 before seasons end. Unless Gomez gets back on track that is (unlikely IMO).

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
lol i think the whole darche on the pp comes from the fact he actually 'volunteered' to stand in front of the net, as pathetically funny as that sounds, i think it's true

him and gionta and no one else. some of these guys need to grow a pair - oh and hamerlik on the pp? he's way too slow of a puck handler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
yeah, I know he's out there because he crashes the net. what I was insinuating is that even if he crashes the net, he doesn't have the puck skills necessary once the net is crashed, in order to bury home his chances
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
He goes to the net... Seriously I hate it also, but he works hard and Pouliot wasn't doing much... But i still would prefer Pouliot.

I hate that Martin does this, but I think it's obvious why Darche is on the PP, even if we all hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Me: "Why is Mathieu Darche on the GOD-DAMNED POWERPLAY AGAIN!!!!"

Seriousy......what the hell is Martin doing? darche can't shoot,stick-handle or pass......why is he out there?

Darche PP time this season/game = 0:54
Funny story.

Mathieu Darche leads this team in Powerplay Production Rate (points per minute). Just a little heads up.

Numbers are approximate (but fairly close);

The following players are the only Habs to score on the PP this year and they get a point every;
DARCHE: 8.2 minutes.
PLEKANEC: 12.5 minutes.
HAMRLIK: 12.6 minutes.
CAMMALLERI: 12.6 minutes.
KOSTITSYN: 17.3 minutes.
GIONTA: 19 minutes.
GORGES: 22 minutes.
GOMEZ: 22 minutes.
SUBBAN: 22.5 minutes.
MARKOV: 25 minutes.
SPACEK: 25 minutes.
POULIOT: 42 minutes.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:32 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I hear a lot of complaining about Gomez, but I thought he had a really good game. He made some really nice plays out there (ex: pass to AKost all alone in front).
Actually, Gomez has been making plays similar to that since the beginning of the season. He usually finds someone on his line with either an empty net shot or what should be a fairly routine chip in in front of the net.

That's not to say he hasn't made a lot of complete bonehead/lazy plays as well.

Quote:
I also really liked Pouliot out there tonight. He looked really good and made some really nice plays. I like him and Eller together. Just a matter of time before they start putting 'em in.
I like them together too, but I liked Pouliot better with Halpern. As good as Eller is, and as good as he's going to be, atm Halpern's experience complements Poul's shot better.

Quote:

Pacioretti is doing really well with the Dogs so if they needed to bring someone up, they might look at giving him a call-up.
At this point, I'd be more inclined to see Gionta go back on the Gomez line and Cami back with Pleks. I think that's where the best synergy/chemistry between duos is.

That or swap Moen and Darche around, not that Darche is really a legit top 6 (Moen isn't either though) but he does get in front of the net.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 06:53 AM
neofury*

Worst game I've seen from Mike Cammalleri this year. He was terrible especially in his own end almost to the point of being laughable in some cases. I think they were just tired from the back to back nights and travel but damn.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:37 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Funny story.

Mathieu Darche leads this team in Powerplay Production Rate (points per minute). Just a little heads up.

Numbers are approximate (but fairly close);

The following players are the only Habs to score on the PP this year and they get a point every;
DARCHE: 8.2 minutes.
PLEKANEC: 12.5 minutes.
HAMRLIK: 12.6 minutes.
CAMMALLERI: 12.6 minutes.
KOSTITSYN: 17.3 minutes.
GIONTA: 19 minutes.
GORGES: 22 minutes.
GOMEZ: 22 minutes.
SUBBAN: 22.5 minutes.
MARKOV: 25 minutes.
SPACEK: 25 minutes.
POULIOT: 42 minutes.
True, but he still shouldnt be there. he played a grand total of 16.4 M on the PP this season and has two pts... dont go thinking he's our best PP guy out there cause of this misleading stat...

It would be like saying Auld is better than Price since he has a better SVG%, eventhough auld only played two games so far... you know...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
True, but he still shouldnt be there. he played a grand total of 16.4 M on the PP this season and has two pts... dont go thinking he's our best PP guy out there cause of this misleading stat...

It would be like saying Auld is better than Price since he has a better SVG%, eventhough auld only played two games so far... you know...
If he isn't on the powerplay that much why are we whining about him being on it? We can't have it both ways. Either he isn't that much on the PP and there's nothing to whine about or the time he plays on the PP is very productive.

I like Darche. He's an honest hardworking player with very good hockey sense.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hey Hamrlik really stands out on your list too, Natey.

Also, Darche looked good in front of the net on the PP. He might not continue to produce at that rate but he looks good as another facet for the PP.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

I have no complaint about Darche. I accept his shortcomings along with his assets. I'm more uneasy about the limited offensive ability of Tom Pyatt. I'm waiting for some prospect to bump him from the starting lineup. And like many on this board, I wish the Habs had a highly paid Brad Richards instead of a highly (over)paid Scott Gomez.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:55 AM
sampollock

great game, makes me mad price could not get the shut out, the boys could not get the puck out

sampollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
i was just eavesdropping in on a freak out thread on the leafs board and it got me thinking about the future...
looking ahead, what kind of team will habs have in 3-4 years?
difficult to look that far ahead, but will we keep being a playoff team?
i think subban and price are enormous foundation chips...
eller probably a strong two way center...
cammy and pleks will still be relatively young...andrei too
gio and gomez not so much...
so who can step in?
tinordi will be a nice pairing with subban
i think pacioretty replaces gionta
there is talk that leblanc will be made into a winger...
i guess my question and it is difficult to answer right now,
do kristo, leblanc and maxpac all have what it take to pick up
slack?
what about palushaj and avtsin?
Four years is the transition point, when the current core is up for renewal.
Any of those big money contracts coming back for a discount? Maybe if they get the kids signed up long-term while they're cheap.

Kostitsyn-Eller-Gionta
Cammer-Plekanec-Leblanc
Pacioretty-Gomez-Palushaj
Pyatt-Engqvist-White

Markov-Emelin
Nash-Subban
Tinordi-Gorges

Carey
Karri

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Four years is the transition point, when the current core is up for renewal.
Any of those big money contracts coming back for a discount? Maybe if they get the kids signed up long-term while they're cheap.

Kostitsyn-Eller-Gionta
Cammer-Plekanec-Leblanc
Pacioretty-Gomez-Palushaj
Pyatt-Engqvist-White

Markov-Emelin
Nash-Subban
Tinordi-Gorges

Carey
Karri
Looks nice but no way in hell will we see Emelin in NA.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

Yeah, he should be there. The normal guys aren't producing by themselves, so put a grinder there who will go to the front of the net. We've created quite a few chances with Darche on the ice on the PP because of that fact. He's great at it.

Sure, I wish we had a more finesse type player who would go to the net. But we don't. It's that simple.

It's nothing like Auld/Price. Price is playing amazing regardless of Auld's stats. Everyone on our PP sucks this year, production wise, with the exception of Darche and maybe Plekanec/Hamrlik/Cammalleri.

Even if Darche only got 1 more point in his next 16 minutes on the PP, he'd still have the best production rate on the team. How embarassing is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I have no complaint about Darche. I accept his shortcomings along with his assets. I'm more uneasy about the limited offensive ability of Tom Pyatt. I'm waiting for some prospect to bump him from the starting lineup. And like many on this board, I wish the Habs had a highly paid Brad Richards instead of a highly (over)paid Scott Gomez.
No one is bumping Tom Pyatt. He doesn't hurt us at ES. He can chew up extra minutes if needed. He's the #1 PKer on the almost #1 PK in the league (0.1 behind PIT), and he's one of our most defensively responsible players. Teams need that. We win games because our PK is so damn good. Teams score on us less that once every 10 chances on the PK. That's ridiculous. I feel confident when Pyatt, Halpern, or Plekanec are out there on the PK. Plekanec is one-man show though.. he's in another world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Hey Hamrlik really stands out on your list too, Natey.

Also, Darche looked good in front of the net on the PP. He might not continue to produce at that rate but he looks good as another facet for the PP.
Hamrlik is quietly having an awesome season. He's a stud in our zone. Offensively, he's on pace for 33 points.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 11-28-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
LOL @ spacek after the game calling out pleks

"oh my god 22%!"

man that was funny
lol spacho always cracks me up...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

There's actually really nothing to wonder about here. You said it yourself, ''one is a 15year veteran'', 18 year actually, that started his career at 18. He's now 36 and plays a more defensive role.

Hammer has been a beast, I really don't understand why you think he has a difficult time dumping the puck. The lack of love this guy and Spacek get really makes me wonder how knowledgeable some people are. These two guys have been solid for us so far.

He deserved to be picked #1 btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You know, I checked most of the game on my TV yesterday up until the 3rd period when I had to lift my gf close by. When I got into my car, the 3rd was starting.
After like 2min, Dube said he doesn't like Pouliot's play tonight, that he seems a step behind his linemates and I went like . I felt Pouliot was having a great game, so it really made me wonder if Danny had watched this game attentively. He usually is pretty good with his analysis but I didn't understand why he didn't like Pouliot this game.
When I got back home to watch the remaining of the game, I didn't see Pouliot a step behind like Dubé mentioned..

I really like Pouliot this year. I think the removal of the production pressure a top 6 player has was incredibly beneficial to him.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote